[comp.sys.amiga] DEC

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (12/15/90)

In article <16543@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:
>VMS still holds well over half the market.  Of course, Unix will eventually
>win out as it becomes more of a standard.                        ^^^^^^^^^^

Didn't DEC recently announce that they won't be supporting VMS anymore and
are concentrating solely on Ultrix?  ("no support"=="no upgrades")

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (12/16/90)

[ Followups to alt.religion.computers only. ]

In article <1990Dec15.045518.25546@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Didn't DEC recently announce that they won't be supporting VMS anymore and
>are concentrating solely on Ultrix?  ("no support"=="no upgrades")

  No.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

ST402248@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Scott Porter) (12/17/90)

>Didn't DEC recently announce that they won't be supporting VMS anymore and
>are concentrating solely on Ultrix?  ("no support"=="no upgrades")
>
>--
>Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
>           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening

Complete and total BullSh*t.  This is complete misinformation. Dec is currently
shipping VMS V5.4 and V5.5 has already been spec'd.  I'm not advocating VMS
even though I'm very used to it and use it most of the time, but the vast
majority of VAX's currently run VMS and DEC is still upgrading and adding
major features such as new networking protocols, security features, data
integrity(volume shadowing, etc...).  DEC still has a lot of really
talented people adding state of the art features to VMS, and it
certainly doesn't lag behind UNIX in its implementation of new
technology.  Religious preferences in operating systems aside, there
is nothing technologically outdated (compared to UNIX) in VMS.

                        -- Scott (ST402248@Brownvm.brown.edu)

wuethri@ifi.unizh.ch (12/17/90)

Please move this one to where it belongs..... We've already had enough
inapprpriate comp.sys.wars belongings. Enough is enough
                           Charles

--
Charles Wuethrich, Dept. of Computer Science     |  wuethri@ifi.unizh.ch
Univ. of Zurich, 8057 Zurich-Irchel, Switzerland |  k114910@czhrzu1a.bitnet

johnhlee@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec15.045518.25546@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:
>Didn't DEC recently announce that they won't be supporting VMS anymore and
>are concentrating solely on Ultrix?  ("no support"=="no upgrades")

Not exactly.  Quoted without permission from _Digital News_, Oct. 29:

    "VMS takes steps toward open system" by John Cox

    Digital Equipment Corp. officals said VMS will become Posix-compliant
    sometime next year, meaning that applications written to Posix standards
    will be able to run under VMS or UNIX.
    [Remainder of article deleted.]

VMS won't be dropped, but merely enhanced.  DEC can't drop VMS without losing
50-75% of its VAX business customers.  What does this have to do with Amiga
UNIX anymore?

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.