[comp.sys.amiga] SideCar Hard Disk Drive Problems

42adlgx@sacemnet.af.mil (42ADLGX) (12/21/90)

I just bought a used Sidecar from a friend and after much difficulty I was
able to get the hard drive to work.  (LESSON:  Always check your power
supply to make sure it isn't dying BEFORE spending money!)

NOW,  I am trying to use half of the drive for the Amiga (just like the
book says) and this is where my current difficulty lies.  Here goes:

   a.  I ran ADISK, Just like the book says,

   b.  I ran DJMOUNT just like the book says

   c.  I ran the DPFORMAT, again, just like the book
ays.  Everything
worked, that is, the drive light came on, it counted up to 303 cylinders,
and the name of the drive appeared on the workbench screen.  The disk
window even opens when clicked on.

   d.  NOW for the PROBLEM.  Whenever I try to copy my files from the 3.5
disks to the hard drive it will work (ever so briefly) and then will lock
up.  The few times it hasn't it told me that the files
were not object
modules.

I have tried using the original workbench disk that was created when the
system was first set up in 1988, and the same problem existed.  I have
tried the standard format command (and even FFS) to no avail.

QUESTIONS:

   1.  Is this in some way related to problems with the Kickstart disk?

   2.  Is there a way to use FFS or the standard FORMAT command with the
Hard Disk on the IBM side?

   3.  Most importantly, can ANYONE help me get the fool thing to WORK???

Steve Brady
42 AD/LGX
Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205

Comm:  (701) 747-3105
AV:  362-3105

42ADLGX@SACEMNET.AF.MIL

42adlgx@sacemnet.af.mil (42ADLGX) (12/21/90)

You may have just recently read my mail regarding the Sidecar problems.
Well, further investigation has revealed that the connector on the Sidecar
that connects to the Amiga expansion port has a pin broken.  Specifically,
the fourt pin from the right as you face it on the bottom.  Now, this may
not be the culprit but it sure would seem to be a good contender.

Now, does anyone know what that pin (and the ones ar
d it) do, and how
much would a replacement connector cost?  CAN it be REPLACED?

I have had the pin replaced  but the problem seems to remain.  I cannot
get th
rive to talk to the Amiga consistently.  I was able to copy one
program over (and get the program to run) but after that...  Lockup city,
(actually, the ZZZ cloud stays on forever, or CLI just sits there).  I
just ran the DJMOUNT program, and it never even loaded, CLI just froze.

Now, what could it be?  Could I have blown something critical, especially
if the bottom pin someho
 shorted out with the top pin?

This seems silly to many of you hardware hacker
, but I am just a user.
Not drugs.  Better than that.  An AMIGA!

HELP!!!!!

Steve Brady
42 AD/LGX
Grand Forks AFB, ND 58205

Comm:  (701) 747-3105
AV:  362-
105

42ADLGX@SACEMNET.AF.MIL

In article <39725@nigel.ee.udel.edu> 42adlgx@sacemnet.af.mil (42ADLGX) writes:

>   d.  NOW for the PROBLEM.  Whenever I try to copy my files from the 3.5
>disks to the hard drive it will work (ever so briefly) and then will lock
>up.  The few times it hasn't it told me that the files
>were not object
>modules.

If you use AREAD or AWRITE to copy those files, you should take
a close look at these program files. There was a defective version
of these two programs, I think their size was about 8 K. If yours
are this size, then this is definitely the reason for your
problems. The newer, correct version of the files is about
10 K in size. (This is all old Janus 1.0 software, today's
Janus software has even other parameters.)