[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaVision

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (06/01/90)

One of my rare postings, this time requesting information...

I'd like as much information about AmigaVision as possible. Currently I use
HyperCard <-> Oracle <-> MicroStation (CAD package) on the Mac to develop
applications that integrate vector based graphics with relational database
information through an 'idiot-proof' interface. In most cases, the data
(both graphic and non-graphic) is not resident on the user's machine ie.this
is a network application.

Since it's initial release I have been a great fan of the Amiga, having owned
an early 1000 and 2000. AmigaVision would seem to provide the necessary tools
to develop similar applications to the one I am currently working on, complete
with the networking, and multiple OS support(?).

Some of the specific questions I have...

1. When will it be released? Here in Australia?

2. I have seen references to file compatibility with dBase III. What does this
actually mean?

3. Is there support for accessing all of the Amiga's features (such as the
PC side of the Bridgeboard or AMax)? Along those lines, with the release of
the A3000, are there plans for the release of an 80386 bridgeboard? And what
Macintosh support (hardware wise) is there within AMax (ie. an AppleTalk
connector)?

4. What exactly can AmigaVision do? I have the impression that it is simply
a scripting language that sits behind icons, so that an icon can be made to
do much more than opening an application with the selected document. Is there
more? Please tell..

Please E-mail your reply (although I'm sure there must be other people
interested in this - maybe a new newsgroup ala comp.sys.mac.hypercard?) And
no flames about using this product over a comparable Amiga product, or
non-technical trivia like AmigaVision's *GREAT* - BLASTS HYPERCARD!!
please. Thanks in advance...

Cameron Stephenson
Bond University
Gold Coast, Australia

campbell@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Campbell - Marketing) (06/01/90)

1.  When?  It will first appear inside bundled products, then as a
standalone.  Expect the standalone product to be available in the US
starting around the second week of June.

2.  dBASEIII, what does this have to do with AmigaVision?  AmigaVision
stores database information in a dBASEIII compatible file format, so that
you can load in databases you may already have for use in AmigaVision.  An
example might be student names, addresses and grades.  You may wish to
note in your database that they have gotten to a certain level in your
"courseware", or received a certain grade.

3.  Support for Bridgeboard?  No.

4.  What is AmigaVision?  It is an icon-based programming language specializing
in the control of multimedia events.  While it has the usual control statements
(i.e. if-then, etc) and math functions, it also gives direct control of sound,
speech, pictures, animations, and videodiscs.

The upcoming Amiga Developers Conference will provide more information, and
so will purchasing the actual product :-).

John Campbell
Senior Manager
Commodore Applications and Technical Support

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (06/05/90)

In article <12078@cbmvax.commodore.com> campbell@cbmvax (John Campbell - CATS) writes:

>1.  When?  It will first appear inside bundled products, then as a
>standalone.  Expect the standalone product to be available in the US
>starting around the second week of June.

I read in a recent magazine that any A2000's that were still under 90
day warranty when AmigaVision (and the new 1 year warranty) were
announced (4-26-90?) would automatically get AmigaVision and would have
their warranty extended to a year.

	1) Is this true?
	2) What is the cutoff date (my A2000 was purchased on 2-10-90
	   via the 1000->2000 tradein) ?
	3) Is the update automatic, assuming I sent in my warranty card,
	   or is there something I must do?

I'd appreciate a response from anyone (CATS or otherwise) who knows the
real scoop here...

Thanks...
Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!nad@uunet.com   | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) (06/10/90)

To any one at CBM....
     How can I aquire a copy of Amigavision for product
development? Currently I am using Cando and find some of
it's features to be limited. Currently I am working on
some writing projects about designing multimedia
applications with programs like Cando. I am a freelance
writer and I am not currently a registered Amiga developer
but I hope to fix that soon. I have the application paperwork
but have not sent it in yet. How can I get a copy
of Amigavision...I would like to start writing some articles
about the multimedia programming field...covering AV wouldd
be great.
     Also how do I get official information on file requestors
in V2.0 of AmigaDOS?
David
--

hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) (06/10/90)

	I've touched this program, and was touched.  This is a very
inspirational program, you don't need a keyboard to program it.

	I have this vision of a disabled vet somewhere, who can only move his
eyes, and has a device that tracks eye movements and converts them into mouse
inputs.  This would be sufficient to program with AV.

	I challenge every Amiga proggramer to just go down and try the
expression input routines.
--

	Henry J. Cobb	hcobb@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

brant@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brant Coghlan) (06/12/90)

In article <31325@ut-emx.UUCP> hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

>	I have this vision of a disabled vet somewhere, who can only move his
>eyes, and has a device that tracks eye movements and converts them into mouse
>inputs.  This would be sufficient to program with AV.

	A consumer eye position sensor was shown at this years Spring COMDEX.
It was configured for the Nintendo and should be available this fall.

	Soon we will be able to explore Cyberspace with our Amigas.
Picture this: sitting down in front of your A3000 with a data glove on
each hand, Haitex X-Specs (for 3D), stereo sound, speech synthesis,
Vo-Rec-One (for speech recognition), and this new eye position tracker.
All we need is some extra joystick ports, some Cyberspace software, and
a dark room so no one will see us in our artificial reality outfit :-)
-Brant

--
Brant Coghlan (grad student) (403)487-3619
address: alberta!brant or brant@alberta.uucp or brant@pembina.cs.ualberta.ca

In article <1990Jun12> brant@cs.UAlberta.CA (Brant Coghlan) writes:

>	A consumer eye position sensor was shown at this years Spring COMDEX.
								      ^^^^^^
Woops, that should be CES (Consumer Electronics Show).

--

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/13/90)

In article <31325@ut-emx.UUCP>, hcobb@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Henry J. Cobb) writes:

> 	I have this vision of a disabled vet somewhere, who can only move his
> eyes, and has a device that tracks eye movements and converts them into mouse
> inputs.  This would be sufficient to program with AV.

Hey!! That's my uncle!!!

One copy of AV on order..
(that was _vetinary surgeon_ wasn't it?)

Regards Alan

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (06/29/90)

	Well, It seems that AmigaVision is shipping withthe Educational
Bundles.  I recieved mine last week and have already written a couple
of applications in it.  It is extremely powerful.

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) (06/29/90)

In article <1990Jun28.200631.6576@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:

>	Well, It seems that AmigaVision is shipping withthe Educational
>Bundles.  I recieved mine last week and have already written a couple
>of applications in it.  It is extremely powerful.

Well, I didn't get a copy of AmigaVision with my bundle, but I called C= today
and explained to them that I didn't get it and they took my address and said
that they would ship it immediatly.

Way to go Commodore!

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Gutierrez) (07/02/90)

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) writes:
|> 	Well, It seems that AmigaVision is shipping withthe Educational
|> Bundles.  I recieved mine last week and have already written a couple
|> of applications in it.  It is extremely powerful.

What I would like to see here in c.s.a. is A REVIEW of AmigaVision!!!

(...please...)

What I want to do is a presentation of an anim file, using a Pioneer
LV-series laserdisc player (the ones with the RS-232, the same ones
Amigavision is supposed to support).  But, what I want to do is play
back the anim file single-frame (one frame at a time) timed to the
laserdisc's time-code.

Originally, everybody said use "The Director", but it had no support
for reading the RS-232 port.

Then, everybody said AmigaVision is "The Answer", and it would solve
all my problems, but it strictly intution-based (icons only), with no
provision for text-scripting, like the Director.  And it only controls
the LV-series laserdisc players...it does not read timecode from LD's.

Now, I'm back to square one.  I was going to try to use Arexx, but everything
I use now has no Arexx ports, and I heard that The Director is supposed to
have an arexx port in a new release.

As it stands now, I have to hand-time the frame-advancing on an anim player,
sometimes resulting in missed cues.  Not pretty...

Suggestions???

(I'm the type of person who needs "comp.sys.amiga.multimedia" bad...)

   Robert Gutierrez
   Office of Space Science and Applications,
   NASA Science Internet Project - Network Operations Center.
   Moffett Feild, California.

terry@comcon.UUCP (Terry LaGrone) (07/03/90)

In article <52921@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, gutierrez@noc.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Gutierrez) writes:
> axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) writes:
> |> 	Well, It seems that AmigaVision is shipping withthe Educational

> What I want to do is a presentation of an anim file, using a Pioneer
> LV-series laserdisc player (the ones with the RS-232, the same ones
> Amigavision is supposed to support).  But, what I want to do is play
> back the anim file single-frame (one frame at a time) timed to the
> laserdisc's time-code.
> As it stands now, I have to hand-time the frame-advancing on an anim player,
> sometimes resulting in missed cues.  Not pretty...
>
> Suggestions???
>
>    Robert Gutierrez
>    Office of Space Science and Applications,
>    NASA Science Internet Project - Network Operations Center.
>    Moffett Feild, California.

I have been using AmigaVision for 6 months with the Pioneer player.
  AmigaVision
fully supports two-way communication between the player and the program for
CAV discs.  If you really need time-code, I assume you are using a CLV disc
(long play).  AmigaVision does not support those type discs at this time.
AmigaVision is also not a scripted language, so some things that can be done
easily with a text editor are hard in AmigaVision.  Overall, I am totally sold
on AmigaVision, so much so that I have converted my main projects over from
PILOT.  I wrote an Amiga version of PILOT three years ago due to the total lack
of laser disc support at that time.

To solve your problem, if you have the later type of Pioneer player (4200, 2200,
or 8000), it would be simple to set up a polling subroutine within THE DIRECTOR
	EXECUTE a,"QueryProgram_you_write > Response_file"
	OPEN 0,"Response_file"
	READ 0,$Response,8
	CLOSE
	IF  ...   THEN ...   ELSE

AREXX would be much more elegant.

Terry H. LaGrone
Flight Training Devices - Alaska
(See PILOT under Authoring Systems in Amazing Computing Product Guide)

jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com (Jason Andreas) (07/18/90)

If you need to talk to the serial port, write a module for it.  Keith Doyle
should send the Aztec C source.  I've had to write many'a'module for my touch
screen software.   If he won't, send me private mail, and the name of the
CD-Player, and i'll see what i can do.

 ProLine: jandreas@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!jandreas
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!jandreas@nosc.mil
Internet: jandreas@pro-graphics.cts.com

rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) (08/22/90)

I remember when I was thinking about buying the mac, the only reason I was going
to buy it was that it had some real great software that I liked.  One of the
pieces of software that really impressed me was Apple's Hypercard.  For $50
dollars you could experiment the power of the mac for a low price !!!!!

This is why we should keep the price low on the amiga vision

jlh@lebesgue.math.purdue.edu (Jeffrey Hensley) (08/22/90)

In article <1342@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
>I remember when I was thinking about buying the mac, the only reason I was going
>to buy it was that it had some real great software that I liked.  One of the
>pieces of software that really impressed me was Apple's Hypercard.  For $50
>dollars you could experiment the power of the mac for a low price !!!!!
>
>This is why we should keep the price low on the amiga vision

  I don't understand!?!?  Amiga Vision is being bundled with the purchase
  of an Amiga.  How much lower can you set the price?

  If you buy an A3000 you get AmigaVision.  Gee, that seems like $50 less
  than having to get Hypercard for the Mac.

  What people have been complaining about is that if you already have an
  Amiga then you are looking at spending up to $150.  But look at other
  software that is out there.   I just bought Disney's Animation Studio
  for the same price.  DeluxePaint isn't free.  Look at what it costs to
  get a 3D rendering package.  Or a titling program.  Quality software is
  not cheap!! (At least not in general).

  --Jeff

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman <Amigaman>) (09/20/90)

Well, I sent in my card to get AmigaVision about 2 months ago.  I got a letter
saying that they are back-ordered.  The letter also said that they expect to
fill all orders by the end of Sept.

What I'm asking is for those people who sent in cards to mail me and tell me
when they mailed in their cards and wether or not they have received their
AV.

Just wondering if they forgot about me or not...

Thanks,
AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/20/90)

In article <59492@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy
Hartman <Amigaman>) says:

>Well, I sent in my card to get AmigaVision about 2 months ago.  I got a letter
>saying that they are back-ordered.  The letter also said that they expect to
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let's hope this is *good* news.  Maybe they sold a lot more Amigas than
they predicted they would 8-)

                             lee

dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (09/29/90)

AmigaVision 1.58g, which is compatible with 2.0 and the A3000, showed up on
my doorstep today.   I am a developer, but since none of the usual stuff
about beta releases and/or non-disclosure agreements came with it, I assume
that they are now shipping it to all A3000 owners who should have theirs
RSN!!!

BTW, it looks really neat.  Wish I had it a couple months ago.  I might have
considered using it for my current development project instead of using all
'C'.
--
-Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)

scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) (10/15/90)

My 2 cents.  I sent in the card in early August....
No word, no Amigavision.  I called Customer service
recently and they said, 'oh yeah.  It's shipping
right now.  You should have it in a week or so.  That
was three weeks ago. C=!  Get on the ball!  When you
promise somebody something when you purchase something
you should deliver.

The woman at C= couldn't even check to see if they had
my name down for it or anything.  Maybe they need an
IBM to run a database?

;)

Jim

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (10/19/90)

>My 2 cents.  I sent in the card in early August....
>No word, no Amigavision.  I called Customer service

GLAD TO HEAR IT!! (hey misery loves company) ;-) ;-)

It's been nearly 8 weeks now -- and no AmigaVision --

But who's counting??

Dave (waiting too) S.

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/21/90)

On 18 Oct 90 23:09:17 GMT you said:
>>My 2 cents.  I sent in the card in early August....
>>No word, no Amigavision.  I called Customer service
>>

>GLAD TO HEAR IT!! (hey misery loves company) ;-) ;-)
>
>It's been nearly 8 weeks now -- and no AmigaVision --
>
>But who's counting??
>
>Dave (waiting too) S.

Well, I just got mine today.  It FINALLY came.  I am using it now.  I am trying
out the Databases.  The manual is quite slick.

||NeXT- (nekst) N. The only PC to have sold less than 10,000 units and ||
||                 not be considered a flop.                           ||
||------------------------------------------/ /------------------------||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

acota@pro-realm.cts.com (Arnold Cota) (12/08/90)

Is this program only for 3000 owners or can we lowly 1000 owners use it also?

Arn.

UUCP: crash!pro-realm!acota
ARPA: crash!pro-realm!acota@nosc.mil
INET: acota@pro-realm.cts.com

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/21/90)

Yeah!  It finally came in the mail today.

Now I've only got one order outstanding that I'm waiting on...my DCTV.  My
upgrade to JMan came last Friday, TAD came last Tuesday, my AmigaVision
today...now all I need is my DCTV.

I want my DCTV (he says while trying his best impression of Billy Idol)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |