[comp.sys.amiga] Best PD C compiler/system?

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (12/10/90)

     Hokay... time for religious war.

     What do you all think is the best Public Domain/Shareware "C" Compiler and
system that is available?  I'm talking about:

     A) DICE    (Fred Fish #359)
     B) North C (Fred Fish #384)
     C) PDC     (Fred Fish #351)

     Do any of these come with the 1.3 Includes?  (I Know Dice doesn't)

     I'm interested in the obvious; ease of code development/debugging, SPEED,
and code SIZE.  Any and all comparisons/warnings/praises are welcome.

     -OR-

     Does EVERYBODY think I would be better off just getting a commercial versi
on and swallowing $350 or so?

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "It's so neat to |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | see an AMIGA say |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |   "Welcome to    |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   Macintosh""    |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  | ---- AMIGA ----  |

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (12/11/90)

In article <90343.182527DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu
(Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     What do you all think is the best Public Domain/Shareware "C"
Compiler and
>system that is available?  I'm talking about:
>
>     A) DICE    (Fred Fish #359)
>     B) North C (Fred Fish #384)
>     C) PDC     (Fred Fish #351)

Just to muddy the waters, don't forget:

      D) Sozobon-C (sorry, don't know the Fish disk number)

I use it for A68k development simply because it was the first
freely-distributable C compiler that could handle my code.  PDC
has no doubt been improved to where it would do the job as well
(I used it for a number of somewhat smaller programs before I
switched), and NorthC and DICE are relative newcomers that I just
haven't had the time to evaluate, although I'm sure they're worthy
contenders.

>     Do any of these come with the 1.3 Includes?  (I Know Dice
doesn't)

     As far as I know, no.  But the includes are readily available from
Commodore.

>     Does EVERYBODY think I would be better off just getting a
commercial
>version and swallowing $350 or so?

     If I were writing Amiga software commercially (as I would love
to do far better than writing for MS-DOG) I'd probably rush right
out and buy SAS (formerly Lattice) C.  But the freely-distributable
stuff is quite usable, even if it lacks fancy debuggers and might
not optimize code so tightly.  In fact, once I get a new version of
A68k working with Sozobon-C (86K executable file) I then give it to
someone else to compile with Lattice or Manx to get the executable
file down to 50K.  But try the freebies - they're definitely worth
looking into.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

erickson@alee.UUCP (Lee Erickson) (12/21/90)

Steve Warren says:
>What about gcc?
>
>Didn't I here someone one the net say they had it going?
>
>It doesn't seem too strange, considering that gnuemacs is in
>rev 0.8 on the Amiga.

OK, I've been with out a USENET feed for a while, and now only have a
limited feed (to get better, soon, I believe).

How/where do I get gnuemacs for my Amiga?  GNU C would be nice, too.

--

Lee Erickson                uucp: ...{rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!alee!erickson
Working for but NOT		  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!lock60!alee!erickson

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (12/22/90)

In article <4109@mindlink.UUCP> a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
>In article <90343.182527DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu
>(Doug Bischoff) writes:
>
>>     What do you all think is the best Public Domain/Shareware "C"
>Compiler and
>>system that is available?  I'm talking about:

>>     A) DICE    (Fred Fish #359)
>>     B) North C (Fred Fish #384)
>>     C) PDC     (Fred Fish #351)

>Just to muddy the waters, don't forget:

>      D) Sozobon-C (sorry, don't know the Fish disk number)

What about gcc?

Didn't I here someone one the net say they had it going?

It doesn't seem too strange, considering that gnuemacs is in
rev 0.8 on the Amiga.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.