[comp.sys.amiga] Gif -> IFF

ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Joseph Kompanek) (02/26/89)

Can someone point toward an FTP site where I can find a the executable
for a program to convert Compuserve GIF files to IFF format?

Thanks,
Drew

Andrew Kompanek                       ARPA: ak10+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University

kiron@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (BONDALE) (02/28/90)

Would someone be so kind as to send me the ftp site at which I might
find an executable to convert Gif images to Amiga IFF ones?

Please reply be e-mail...

thanks!

Kiron

 Kiron D. Bondale       Concordia University, Mtl., Quebec, Canada
 "What is the use of being grown up, if you can't be childish..."
 ------------Habitat:kiron@sunkisd.CS.Concordia.CA----------------

matt@telesoft.com (Matt Halls @day) (12/07/90)

I am sure this has been asked before, but is there a utility out
there that will convert an IBM GIF image into a IFF image?

thanks!
-matt

allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
ihnp4!   \   crash!--\            (619) 457-2700 x151
nosc!     \           \
           >--ucsd!---->--telesoft!matt (Matt Halls)
scgvaxd!  /
ucbvax!  /                        5959 Cornerstone Court West
uunet!  /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (12/07/90)

There's a PD program out there called HAMSHARP.  Although it takes a while
to convert a GIF picture into an IFF, it gets rid of the bleading that
occurs with some HAM converters.
---------------------------------------                    ___
Derek Lang<<<<<                        |     //?   |  | | |       /?
ACPS1072.RYERSON                       |    //  ?  |?/| | | _    /  ?
freelance animator (and computer lacky)| ??//____? |  | | |  |  /____?
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA               |  ?/      ?|  | | |__| /      ?

In <1120@telesoft.com>, matt@telesoft.com (Matt Halls @day) writes:
>I am sure this has been asked before, but is there a utility out
>there that will convert an IBM GIF image into a IFF image?

GIF is GIF, as opposed to 'IBM GIF' or 'Amiga GIF', etc.  GIF will display
(with the appropriate viewer program) on any machine.

I've posted this before, recently, but from the mailbox contents, it would seem
that quite a few folks misunderstood it. Here it is again, a little more
complete....

Though there is at least one GIF to IFF convertor, it is kludgy and not at all
easy to use, requiring a couple of steps and intermediate files. Therefore, what
is required is to either find the above mentioned program (don't know the name,
sorry), or to use a GIF display program such as 'giffy', 'hamgif', and so on,
and then to somehow capture the screen to an IFF file.  Most any screen grabber
will do the trick, but I prefer to use...

snap                       32140 ----rwed 08-Feb-90 10:55:28

which is a program similar to Snipit, in that it can capture text form a
window, but that has the advantage of being able to grab any graphics from a
screen as well. So, the idea is to display the GIF file, then Snap the picture
(or any part of it), and save it as IFF for later viewing with a good viewer.

--- from the mailbox ---

> As far as I know, the amiga does not understand the gif format (because
> there are too many colors in hires mode).  It seems to me that you must
> convert the file to iff before displaying, then snap it.

The Amiga does not inherently understand any file format for graphics
information. IFF is simply a way of packaging graphic (and other) information
in such a way as to allow many different programs to read in a graphic IFF file
and to show the results on the screen, after having extracted the meaning of
the information, and translating that to a screen representation.

GIFF is no different than IFF in this regard, except that the tools available
are fewer, since GIF is not as popular a standard on the Amiga as is IFF.

Yes, you do need to display it, then Snap it, and since the question was 'how
do I convert a GIF file to an IFF file?', that's what I answered. Knowing that
you can display a GIF, I hope the answers now make more sense.

  --------------------------

> You mentioned the gif viewer/converter "snap" on comp.sys.amiga.  Where can I
> find this program?

It can probably be found on a number of ftp sites, as well as on some of the
mail archive servers. It can also be found on Fish disk #274.

----------------------

> Just how much can this Snap program do?
> Could you tell me about its capabilities, such as graphics capture, window
> capture (if it can do them that is). If it is good, is it PD or commercial?

It will capture text from the screen, and allows capturing graphics from a
screen as well. The graphics capture does not limit itself to windows, but if
you want to capture only the window conents, you can just use the mouse to
select that portion of the screen only. It's a REAL handy utility. I have used
it to convert GIF files, to grab examples from the screen for use in tutorials,
and use it constantly in capturing text and pasting it into terminal programs,
editors, other files, and so on.

--------------------------

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (12/09/90)

In article <2368@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Though there is at least one GIF to IFF convertor, it is kludgy and not at all
>easy to use, requiring a couple of steps and intermediate files.

I don't know which gif->iff converter you're talking about, but there is
  one that is very good and not at all kludgy.  It's called hamsharp, is
  available at better ftp sites everywhere, and produces spectacular results.

It takes a little while (about 5-6 minutes for a big 256 color gif) but
  produces HAM output that is virtually fringe-free, especially when
  you compare the output with a gif viewer like hamgif.

>|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **

amc4919@cec2.wustl.edu (Adam M. Costello) (12/09/90)

On Fish Disk 405 there is a program called GIFMachine.  It's slow, and it only
converts GIF files to SHAM files, which look better than HAM files.  The only
decent SHAM viewer I know of, which is also the best viewer I know of because
it views just about anything (yes, I exagerate) is Mostra, found on Fish Disk
330.  It is not free, unfortunately.  Oh-- I think somewhere in the docs for
GIFMachine it said that version 2.0 of the OS is required.  I haven't tried it
with 1.3.
Hey you programmers out there-- the sources are included with GIFMachine.  If
someone would like to speed it up, that would be great!
AMC

In <10045@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
>In article <2368@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>>Though there is at least one GIF to IFF convertor, it is kludgy and not at all
>>easy to use, requiring a couple of steps and intermediate files.
>
>I don't know which gif->iff converter you're talking about, but there is
>  one that is very good and not at all kludgy.  It's called hamsharp, is
>  available at better ftp sites everywhere, and produces spectacular results.
>
>It takes a little while (about 5-6 minutes for a big 256 color gif) but
>  produces HAM output that is virtually fringe-free, especially when
>  you compare the output with a gif viewer like hamgif.

Great! I'll have a look for it. I have never been impressed by GIF, and I guess
it's been due to the viewers.

One thing... does it bother with more than 256 colours if there are more in the
picture? All previous GIF tools I have seen limit themselves to 256 colours,
fine for the IBM/Mac crowd, but just not good enough for other machines.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.065434.23808@cec1.wustl.edu> amc4919@cec2.wustl.edu (Adam M. Costello) writes:
>On Fish Disk 405 there is a program called GIFMachine.  It's slow, and it only

>330.  It is not free, unfortunately.  Oh-- I think somewhere in the docs for
>GIFMachine it said that version 2.0 of the OS is required.  I haven't tried it
>with 1.3.

GIFMachine v2 requires KickStart 2 to run.  The older v1 release of
GIFMachine will run under 1.2/1.3 with arp.library, albiet it is missing
some of the new features (like dither).

>Hey you programmers out there-- the sources are included with GIFMachine.  If
>someone would like to speed it up, that would be great!

At least one person out there has contacted me about being well on their
way to porting GIFMachine to a Unix box...

-=> CAW  (author of GIFMachine)

/////////////////////////////////////|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Christopher A. Wichura               |Real programmers don't play tennis, or
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)      |any other sport that requires you to
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)|change clothes.  Mountain climbing is
                                     |OK, and real programmers wear their
Please! Do not send mail to my school|climbing boots to work in case a
account unless mail to miroc bounces.|mountain should suddenly spring up in
I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu   |the middle of the machine room.
for periods in excess of a week.     |                        --Unix Fortune
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|//////////////////////////////////////

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/11/90)

I'd like to think the best GIF <===> IFF convert would be ASDG's TAD
(Pro)....

-jph
joseph@valnet.UUCP or ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
IMHO: The "H" means "honest"!

jhartley@bbs.sbs.com (Joe Hartley) (12/12/90)

A good GIF->IFF converter is called HamSharp.  It is a one pass converter,
and not nearly as kludgy as others I have seen.  Plus, it supports HAM, so
the 256 color hi-res files convert OK.  Sorry, I don't know of an ftp site
for this, as I got it off of GEnie.

auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) (12/15/90)

In article <10045@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
>I don't know which gif->iff converter you're talking about, but there is
>  one that is very good and not at all kludgy.  It's called hamsharp, is
>  available at better ftp sites everywhere, and produces spectacular results.

Yeah, hamsharp is pretty good, but it also eats up quite a lot of
memory.  So if you have a stock Amiga and huge images files, hamsharp
may not be able to convert images.  An alternative is to get the
"fuzzybitmap" package and do the convertion on a high power Unix
machine (like a Sun4) and then download the converted files.  I find
the FBM package extremely useful and has all the utilities for useful
image processing.

--Tak
 ___   #   #    =====         How do I know if you are real or not? +--   /-+--
(__/\  #   # #    # ===\ /=== #   # >>>>> auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu  |X/-+ /[[]]
 O/O)  #   # #    # ----|     #---# >>>>> Tak-Ying "UlTech" AuYeung +- /' |----
 \-/|  \===/ \=== # ===/ \=== #   # >>>>>  A self-conscious entity    / \ |/\'\

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (12/15/90)

-
-Yeah, hamsharp is pretty good, but it also eats up quite a lot of
-memory.  So if you have a stock Amiga and huge images files, hamsharp
-may not be able to convert images.  An alternative is to get the
-"fuzzybitmap" package and do the convertion on a high power Unix
-machine (like a Sun4) and then download the converted files.  I find
-the FBM package extremely useful and has all the utilities for useful
-image processing.
-
---Tak

I am interested in in converting GIF's to IFF's, too. I have an Amiga with
5MB memory, so hamsharp should be cool. I also have access to Sun4's, so
the other solution is possible as well. GIF files are no problem, either.

I don't have access to ftp, however, and my compress/archiver programs
are lost in a crash (the diskette holding these and some other programs
as a backup while reformatting my harddisk went completely nuts).

So, can someone please email me:

HamSharp and/or the FBM package and/or any other good package
Lharc/Warp/Zoo... (what's normally used). I only have uuencode/uudecode now

I have access to SparcStations for the moment, so I can take this to my
Amiga using 720K floppies.

Thanks in advance
Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (12/18/90)

In article <7ek3T1w163w@bbs.sbs.com> jhartley@bbs.sbs.com (Joe Hartley) writes:
>A good GIF->IFF converter is called HamSharp.  It is a one pass converter,
>and not nearly as kludgy as others I have seen.  Plus, it supports HAM, so
>the 256 color hi-res files convert OK.  Sorry, I don't know of an ftp site
>for this, as I got it off of GEnie.

I'm interested in that program, so if someone would be kind to email
it to me...

One thing I've read a little about on the net is archive servers. You
send mail to them with commands in the subject line. The server then
return mail at a convenient time (for the server machine) with what You
asked for (hopefully also what You wanted).

Do You now of such an archive server with Amiga binaries (and sources)?

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

matt@telesoft.com (Matt Halls @day) (12/21/90)

There seems to be enough interest in hamsharp to warrant its
posting to comp.amiga.binaries.  Could someone please do this?

FYI I am the originator of this stream and I have tried the following:

First I grabbed GiftoIFF and with a stock 3000 was not able to
convert a full size Gif file to an IFF file (360x480 I think).

So, I read on (thanks for all suggestions).  I pulled a copy
of the pbmplus utilities (Great stuff!!).  These worked fine for
me but I'm not sure if I would get better results with hamsharp.
My pictures don't look as crisp as they are when displayed on
an IBM w/ VGA...

If no one wants to post HamSharp then please post a path for
anonymous ftp.  Also where can the Fuzzybitmap stuff be found
as I have access to Suns.

Thanks again!

allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
ihnp4!   \   crash!--\            (619) 457-2700 x151
nosc!     \           \
           >--ucsd!---->--telesoft!matt (Matt Halls)
scgvaxd!  /
ucbvax!  /                        5959 Cornerstone Court West
uunet!  /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (12/22/90)

The newest version of HAMSHARP is called SHAMSHARP and has a few bugs fixed.

If someone is going to post this on comp.bin.amiga make sure to post
this one.  I have a copy if someone wants it or if info could be provided
to me by some interested party, I'll post it myself.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)