[comp.sys.amiga] OPEN LETTER TO CBM

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) (12/12/90)

ALL:
  Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
Programmer Workshop (MPW)? This system gives developers
tools, source code and programs that make the Macintosh
interface seamless and basically the same from software
to software. Is CBM planning to do something like this?
Or have they already done so?
David

--

robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) (12/13/90)

In article <7259@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:

     Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
   support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
   Programmer Workshop (MPW)? This system gives developers
   tools, source code and programs that make the Macintosh
   interface seamless and basically the same from software
   to software. Is CBM planning to do something like this?
   Or have they already done so?

	They have already done so. In the States: CATS. Commodore
	Amiga Techical Service and in Europe ADSP: Amiga Developer's
	Support Program.

	We get Tools, AmigaMAIL, E-MAIL, Developer-News, WB2.0 etc etc.

	Then there're two developer's conferences in a year. One in Europe
	and one in the USA. The next one is in Milano next February.

   David

*               StarSoft Ky (ECO101)   Helsinki University of Technology    *
* Jarto Tarpio  Member of Amiga Developers' Support Program, Europe (ADSPE) *
*               * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*         //    robin@niksula.hut.fi   robin@otax.tky.hut.fi                *
*        //     * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*   \\  //                                                                  *
*    \\//       Snif. @batcomputer.hut.fi is dead ! @joker.hut.fi won.. :-( *
*                                                                           *

In article <7259@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>  Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
>support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
>Programmer Workshop (MPW)? This system gives developers
>tools, source code and programs that make the Macintosh
>interface seamless and basically the same from software
>to software. Is CBM planning to do something like this?
>Or have they already done so?

They have. Ok, you don't get a compiler from Commodore directly,
but there exist enough good and professional ones on the market.
To get a developer up and programming, they can get from CATS
everything they need: docs on paper and many tools/sample progs
on disks. There are the new gadtools (only for 2.0) that make
the hard part of Amiga programming much easier. And there are
disks with example programs from all the ROM Kernel Manuals and
all the last Developer Conferences.

Another issue is the "same interface from software to software".
Amiga has a politics in this issue that is more liberal than
Apple's. The programmer has more choices how to do things.
This ends up in more differently looking programs on the Amiga,
which is contrasted by utterings of some Mac programmers saying
they feel like put into a straightjacket. Well, this is the area
of personal taste...

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (12/13/90)

In a message posted on 12 Dec 90 15:31:31 GMT,
davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) wrote:
DM>  Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
DM>support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh

It's called CATS, and they have been doing the best job of any computer. I know
people who program for the Amiga  AS WELL AS Mac and IBM, and they say that they
get the best support from Commodore.  I myself am biased, as I do most of my
stuff on the Amiga, so don't have much to compare to.

Become a registered developer.  It's quite cheap, and is definetely worth the
small amount of money it costs.  There are quite a few mailings of Documentation
(AmigaMail and others) as well as the periodic Disks that are sent out (Just last
month a few disks (RKRM libs and Devs Companion disks) were sent out.

P.S. I am signed up with Commodore Canada.  Ulthough I have managed to accedentaly
give the wrong impression, I am quite happy with the support that I've received
from the Canadian side of CATS (Thanks Alex and Paula !)

P.P.S.  It was asked recently what the address for Commodore Canada was. If you
are in Canada and wish to join the Registered developer program, send to:

Registered Developer Program
ATTN: Alex Orgill
3470 Pharmacy Avenue
Agencourt, ON
M1W 3G3

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {fts1,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (12/14/90)

In article <ROBIN.90Dec13142553@hulk.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) writes:
>In article <7259@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>
>     Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
>   support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
>   Programmer Workshop (MPW)? [...snip...]
>
>	They have already done so. In the States: CATS. Commodore
>	Amiga Techical Service and in Europe ADSP: Amiga Developer's
>	Support Program.
>
>	We get Tools, AmigaMAIL, E-MAIL, Developer-News, WB2.0 etc etc.

The MPW that David was talking about is a development environment used for
Macintosh and cross development (We use it to write Apple II software), and
is separate from the Developer Support Services offered by Apple.  I think
that the question was meant to find out if there is a Commodore supported
development environment for the Amiga.

>* Jarto Tarpio  Member of Amiga Developers' Support Program, Europe (ADSPE) *

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier                          | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

In article <47346@apple.Apple.COM> farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) writes:
>In article <ROBIN.90Dec13142553@hulk.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) writes:
>>In article <7259@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>>
>>     Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
>>   support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
>>   Programmer Workshop (MPW)? [...snip...]
>>
>>	They have already done so. In the States: CATS. Commodore
>>	Amiga Techical Service and in Europe ADSP: Amiga Developer's
>>	Support Program.
>>
>>	We get Tools, AmigaMAIL, E-MAIL, Developer-News, WB2.0 etc etc.
>
>The MPW that David was talking about is a development environment used for
>Macintosh and cross development (We use it to write Apple II software), and
>is separate from the Developer Support Services offered by Apple.  I think
>that the question was meant to find out if there is a Commodore supported
>development environment for the Amiga.

	Commodore seems to, IMHO, support Lattice/SAS C. Most
programs that they give as samples are written for Lattice, that
is those that are in C. Also SAS is very stable so there isn't
much fear that the product will disappear. Lattice is a very
complete developer environment including source-level debugger.
	But somehow I don't even think that that is what you are
talking about. I think you are talking about programming
utilities like creating gadgets, etc. Commodore does do that.
Both Manx and SAS buy the Amiga includes from Commodore, which
are essentially necessary for all programs. At least with 2.0,
they include easy ways to open Screens, Windows, Gadgets, Menus,
File Requestors, Palette Requestors and to parse IFF files. I'm
probably forgetting many things. But Commodore does do this.
There are also other such things in the works.

>>* Jarto Tarpio  Member of Amiga Developers' Support Program, Europe (ADSPE) *
>
>--
>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
>| Cary Farrier                          | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |
>| Apple II Systems Software Engineering | UUCP      : apple!farrier       |
>| Apple Computer, Inc.                  | Fax       : (408) 974-1704      |
>| 20525 Mariani Ave.                    | AppleLink : FARRIER             |
>| Cupertino, CA 95014                   |  or farrier%applelink@apple.com |
>+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

In article <1990Dec13.204137.21443@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	Commodore seems to, IMHO, support Lattice/SAS C. Most
>programs that they give as samples are written for Lattice, that
>is those that are in C. Also SAS is very stable so there isn't
>much fear that the product will disappear. Lattice is a very
>complete developer environment including source-level debugger.
>	But somehow I don't even think that that is what you are
>talking about.

Actually, that is what I was talking about.  MPW is a shell environment with
a few compilers and assemblers (C, Pascal, etc..), a source level debugger,
resource compiler, etc.

>	-- Ethan

-Cary

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) (12/21/90)

In article <ROBIN.90Dec13142553@hulk.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) writes:
>In article <7259@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>     Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
>   support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
>   Programmer Workshop (MPW)? This system gives developers
(deleted)
>	They have already done so. In the States: CATS. Commodore
>	Amiga Techical Service and in Europe ADSP: Amiga Developer's
>	Support Program.
You might call it CATS-Europe now ;-)

Yes, Sir ! .... and the Registration Deadline is just around the corner ;-@
>--
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
(much too long sig. deleted)
--
Gunda O'Neal, CATS- EUROPE
AMIGA Developer Support Administration

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/22/90)

In article <55693.661119761@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca> rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) writes:
>In a message posted on 12 Dec 90 15:31:31 GMT,
>davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) wrote:
>DM>  Why doesn't Commodore support some form of developer
>DM>support system similar to Apple computers Macintosh
>
>It's called CATS, and they have been doing the best job of any computer. I know
>people who program for the Amiga  AS WELL AS Mac and IBM, and they say that they
>get the best support from Commodore.  I myself am biased, as I do most of my
>stuff on the Amiga, so don't have much to compare to.

At least in quantity of material, Apple wins hands down. But for 600 bucks a
year, I want to see my mailbox FULL. Apple sends out monthly developer's
mailings which are typically 1" thick or more. Of course maybe thats a
testament more to the difficulty of programming the mac. . . :-)

My october mailing came in a 4" thick box.

One nice thing that Apple does is
to send out copies of their marketing flyers, ads and videotapes. They sent
me a copy of the Mac LC/SI introduction, and other promotional material.

They also supply developers with CD-ROMs chock full of code examples,
older OS versions for compatibility checks, utilities and so on, 3 or 4
times a year. (The disks come with cute names like "Bill and Ted's Excellent
CD" or "The Night of the Living Disk".

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"