[comp.sys.amiga] Poor software

sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (12/06/90)

In article <9012040257.AA10743@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 91_bickingd@GAR.UNION.EDU ("Bicking, David") writes:
> Date sent:  3-DEC-1990 20:56:41

   [ deleted stuff about a Byte article comparing the A3000 to the n*xt]

> On a similar idea, I believe the ultimate test of how well a program is
> written is to run it on a 7Mhz 68000 amiga :)  I would think it would be
                            ^^^^^^^^^^

Amen. Along with the faster CPUs, cheaper RAM, bigger HDs, I've seen a
trend to NOT optimize software. "Let the compiler do it."  That's nice, but
the best optimizing compiler can't make up for human laziness.
Sloppy software on a fast machine is as good as well-written software on a
slow one.

I'm not impressed with n*xt's multi-megabyte OS.  That's worse than i*m's
OS/2!!!  Come on, guys.  I know that the market is tough, and you have to
get stuff out before the "other guy" in order to stay afloat, but how about
some _quality_?  I realize that there is a minimum size for any software,
but I find it hard to believe that the n*xt OS has come close to that.

Having a multi-megabyte OS is one of the fastest ways to get me to not buy
a computer.  I hope that C= hasn't taken short cuts with the 3000UX like it
appears that n*xt has.

                       ************
My best software on my *** A500 *** screams, and is compact.  No FPU, no
MIPS.  Just efficent   ************ code.  (If it screams on a A500 I'd
love to try it on a 3000 :-)

P.S. eunics (un*x :-) is not a plus in my book.  I have to work with it, and
don't enjoy it.

--

All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec5.233501.43949@cc.usu.edu> sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) writes:
>Amen. Along with the faster CPUs, cheaper RAM, bigger HDs, I've seen a
>trend to NOT optimize software. "Let the compiler do it."  That's nice, but

Certainly true.  There is no excuse for not trying to write the best code
possible.

>the best optimizing compiler can't make up for human laziness.

Well, this is debatable :)  Compilers can do some amazing optimizations.
I think that quite a few things should be left to the compiler, but writing
good code isn't one of them :)

>Sloppy software on a fast machine is as good as well-written software on a
>slow one.

Most certainly true.  Who says that UNIX code is all that sloppy?

>I'm not impressed with n*xt's multi-megabyte OS.  That's worse than i*m's
>OS/2!!!  Come on, guys.  I know that the market is tough, and you have to

I have to disagree with this.  We all know that OS/2 is a piece of junk.
Have you EVER used BSD UNIX with NeXTStep tacked on top?

>get stuff out before the "other guy" in order to stay afloat, but how about
>some _quality_?  I realize that there is a minimum size for any software,
>but I find it hard to believe that the n*xt OS has come close to that.

What?  I don't understand.  Are you trying to say that it takes up too much
disk space for the NeXT OS?  It's UNIX.  UNIX almost by definition is a
disk hog.

>Having a multi-megabyte OS is one of the fastest ways to get me to not buy
>a computer.  I hope that C= hasn't taken short cuts with the 3000UX like it
>appears that n*xt has.

What shortcuts are these?  If I were going to be getting a 3000UX or 4000UX,
I would in no way want anything less than a 600 meg disk.  Same goes for
any UNIX box for me.

>My best software on my *** A500 *** screams, and is compact.  No FPU, no
>MIPS.  Just efficent   ************ code.  (If it screams on a A500 I'd
>love to try it on a 3000 :-)

Must agree, efficient code is the only way to fly.  Efficient code is not
just limited to the Amiga you know.

>P.S. eunics (un*x :-) is not a plus in my book.  I have to work with it, and
>don't enjoy it.

This is a religions matter :)  Personally, I love UNIX.  Amiga OS is VERY
UNIX-like, minus multi-user stuff and vm.

>> standard practice to optimize a program on such a platform, as the speed
>> difference is most noticable at that level!

Standard practice is to produce the best general algorithm with lowest
complexity level.

>--
>
>All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
>=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================
>| Demetrios Triandafilakos  | James Knowles     | "Remember, always remember,|
>| Shire of Cote du Ciel     | BITNET: SL195@USU |  my son -- a banana is not |
>| Principality of Artemesia | INTERNET:         |  a toy."                   |
>| Kingdom of Atenvelt       |  sl195@cc.usu.edu |          - The Wise Guru   |
>=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================
>    Be all that you can be - see your local SCA Knight Marshal now.

			See ya, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (12/11/90)

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

>Most certainly true.  Who says that UNIX code is all that sloppy?

I do, for one.  Ever seen the Bourne shell source?

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

fnf@riscokid.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/12/90)

In article <22109@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>
>>Most certainly true.  Who says that UNIX code is all that sloppy?
>
>I do, for one.  Ever seen the Bourne shell source?

Not exactly an appropriate topic for comp.sys.amiga, but since when
has that stopped anyone...  :-)

Most of the absolutely worst C code I've ever seen has been in the course
of maintaining Unix utilities over the last eight years or so.  Try peeking
at the source to sdb or the COFF linker for example.  Before I actually
had a chance to see AT&T's source, I had envisioned that such an
elegantly designed system (compared to what I'd been working on) surely
had jewels of programming expertise that a newbie C program such as myself
could admire and learn from.  Imagine my shock and horror at finding
routines that ran on for hundreds of lines with all kinds of early
terminations, nesting of conditionials and switches a dozen levels deep,
sloppy typing of variables, etc.  Gack!

-Fred

In article <14240@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> fnf@riscokid.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <22109@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>>gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>>
>>>Most certainly true.  Who says that UNIX code is all that sloppy?

>>I do, for one.  Ever seen the Bourne shell source?

>Most of the absolutely worst C code I've ever seen has been in the course
>of maintaining Unix utilities over the last eight years or so.

Probably true, though I have found that the popular UNIX systems of the past
few years, especially VAXen, make it easy to write bad code.  What, I'm blaming
it on the machines?!?  Yup.  For example, a few years ago I wrote a real quick
program in C on our VAX to read in our standard netlist interchange file format
and spit out a corresponding, nicely formatted, bill of materials.  It worked
great, never had a problem with it.  Then our VAX changed to a MIPS, and the
thing didn't even begin to compile.  Since I had better C tools by that time
on the Amiga, I tried it there.  I found the easy bugs, like where I said

	thing *x[256]	  but meant	thing x[256]

But that should have been found on the VAX, at least at runtime -- this was,
after all, a protected memory UNIX machine, not a "silly pc".  And of course,
the Lattice compiler kicked up all kinds of type warnings and the like that
UNIX compilers always ignore.  Bugs like this are always the programmer's
fault, of course, but systems and compilers that let you get away with
blatent bugs and encourage bad programming don't help the generation of good
code.

By the way, the program still isn't working on any of the systems.  One of
these days I'll have the time to fix it....

>-Fred

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/22/90)

In article <14240@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> fnf@riscokid.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
<In article <22109@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
<>
<
[...]

Some time ago we got hold of the source to the infamous Silicon Graphics
Flight Simulator. That one program alone probably helped sell half of
their machines. I was prepared to be humbled by near god-like coding
so elegant and clear that a 4rth grader could understand. I was going
to be ushered into the inner secrets of the great programmers, blah,
blah, blah... Boy was I in for a letdown.

main() was 1364 lines long! It contained nearly all of the programs
logic, making only occaisional calls to do some rendering. It looked
like a first year college student project on steroids. It sure gave
me much more confidence in my own abilities, and much less in
Silicon Graphics.

Then I got a look at VAX Unix kernal source. YUCK! Certainly a
fine example of how not to code.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"