[comp.sys.amiga] ATonce PC/AT Emulator Questions

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/28/90)

There seems to be a small case of false advertising in that Ad.  The picture
they show is clearly VGA or EGA, they claim however to support
only CGA color.  Check it out if it sounds too good to be true...
Rob

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (11/28/90)

Ah, that makes sense...
Rob

gmm34343@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/28/90)

Does anyone have any additional information about the ATonce PC/AT
emulator advertised in AmigaWorld 12/90?  It seems to be using a 286
cpu and will run in the 500 using its drives and ports.  All this is
claimed to be running as a task under AmigaDOS!  The screen shot
shows Windows 3.0 - can it be?  Can someone tell me how to get ordering
information?  But first, I'd like to hear from someone who has actually
used the thing.  Is Windows too sluggish to be usuable?  How about
compatibility?  Any help would be appreciated....

In article <3971@mindlink.UUCP> a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>There seems to be a small case of false advertising in that Ad.  The picture
>they show is clearly VGA or EGA, they claim however to support
>only CGA color.  Check it out if it sounds too good to be true...
>Rob

	Not really. It supports the IBM slots in the 2000 so you
can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (11/29/90)

>can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.

That would be neat trick, but quite impossible I'm afraid!

-- Dan Babcock

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (11/30/90)

Where did it say that the ATOnce can access the IBM slots?  I didn't see that
in the Amigaworld ad.
--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann, SubOp) (12/02/90)

>can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.

That would be neat trick, but quite impossible I'm afraid!

-- Dan Babcock
        Nope, it's not impossible. I've seen an Amiga 2500/030 with a '286
Bridgecard running VGA on a multisync, while the Amiga still used the 1084
monitor.
 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
  P-Link: DanB20        <-- I only read PLink once a mo. use Internet
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (12/02/90)

In article <6021@crash.cts.com>, danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann,
SubOp) says:

>>can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.

>That would be neat trick, but quite impossible I'm afraid!

>-- Dan Babcock
>        Nope, it's not impossible. I've seen an Amiga 2500/030 with a '286
>Bridgecard running VGA on a multisync, while the Amiga still used the 1084
>monitor.

I was referring to the ATonce, not a bridgecard - quite different. It might
still be possible with the ATonce, but certainly very difficult.

-- Dan Babcock

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/02/90)

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann, SubOp) writes:

> >can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.
>
> That would be neat trick, but quite impossible I'm afraid!
>
> -- Dan Babcock
>         Nope, it's not impossible. I've seen an Amiga 2500/030 with a '286
> Bridgecard running VGA on a multisync, while the Amiga still used the 1084
> monitor.

So what do they do about activating the BridgeBoard window for input?
>  ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
>     UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
> ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
> Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
>   P-Link: DanB20        <-- I only read PLink once a mo. use Internet
> U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807

                        Joseph Hillenburg
             Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group
joseph@valnet.UUCP                        ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
  "Only Apple could slow down a 68030 chip." -Computer Shopper

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

|>>can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.
|>That would be neat trick, but quite impossible I'm afraid!
|>        Nope, it's not impossible. I've seen an Amiga 2500/030 with a '286
|>Bridgecard running VGA on a multisync, while the Amiga still used the 1084
|>monitor.

|I was referring to the ATonce, not a bridgecard - quite different. It might
|still be possible with the ATonce, but certainly very difficult.

Especially since the ATonce card doesn't sit across the Amiga/AT slots.
the AT slots would never have any connection to the Amiga. That's part of
the bridgeboard's function, to act like a 'bridge' between the two buses.
--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

sl195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (12/06/90)

In article <25649@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
> Where did it say that the ATOnce can access the IBM slots?  I didn't see that
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^
From what I understood when I read the article, ATOnce is for the A500.
My A500 doesn't have any i*m slots  :-)

> in the Amigaworld ad.
> --
> John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
> Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
> "We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
> Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/
--

All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================

moore@bombe.enet.dec.com (W. Bruce Moore) (12/08/90)

If you read their ad you'll notice that it mentions an adapter to install
ATonce
into the 2000's processor slot.  It's possible that this thing could also
connect
(via cable?)  to the IBM bus, thereby allowing access to option cards.  I have
no idea whether the adapter actually does this, and I expect they would have
said so if it did...

But it's not impossible.
--
    W. Bruce Moore
    Moore@bombe.pa.dec.com

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (12/22/90)

In article <3971@mindlink.UUCP> a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>There seems to be a small case of false advertising in that Ad.  The picture
>they show is clearly VGA or EGA, they claim however to support
>only CGA color.  Check it out if it sounds too good to be true...

the screen shot is of a 640x400 16 color mode (olivetti (and hence at&t) pc's
have this mode).  windows (and probably os/2) supports it.

everything they say on the box is true (or close enough).  it's what they
don't say that i'm worried about.  haven't had the time to play with one
for too long yet, but i'm quite sure there are several minuses to it.  but
it's cheap, and works in a cheap machine.

>Rob

 --Scotty

Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE (hopefully sometime this year)
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

In article <1990Nov28.220430.1084@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <3971@mindlink.UUCP> a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) writes:
>>There seems to be a small case of false advertising in that Ad.  The picture
>>they show is clearly VGA or EGA, they claim however to support
>>only CGA color.  Check it out if it sounds too good to be true...
>>Rob
>
>	Not really. It supports the IBM slots in the 2000 so you
>can do what bridgeboard owners do: stick a VGA card in the slot.

WRONG!  *!BUZZ!*  (floor opens, ethan falls in)

the ATOnce won't support any kind of pc hardware expansion.  what it does now
is what you're stuck with.  the bridgeboards from commodore are the only way
to get the ability to use PC expansion boards with your PC emulation.

see a few articles ago for the scoop on the screenshot.

someone (spirit?) was selling a monster called ax/s, but that didn't do pc
emulation, but let you borrow pc compatible boards for the amiga's use.

>	-- Ethan
>
>	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:
>
>	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
>cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE (hopefully sometime this year)
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

HJOLLY%UNMB.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/22/90)

It is possiable, or will be as soon as the company starts to
sale the adapter board for the ATonce.  So, that any one can use
IBM boards on the IBM side of the Amiga 2000's.  The adapters are
suppose to be a card that will plug into your bridge board slot
of your Amiga 2000.  But yes as it is, you can not take advantage
of any IBM hardware(except that emulated by board) untill you
purchase this board.  A2000 people from what I learned can until
then plug the ATonce into their 68000 socket.

                                       Henry Jolly
                                       hjolly@unmb.bitnet