[comp.sys.amiga] Color Splitter

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (08/16/89)

For Sale:

SunRize Industries Color Splitter:

	*Accepts NTSC video signal, splits it into R,G,B.
	*Provision for S-Video input.
	*Software or switch controlled.
	*Great for digitizing from Laserdisk or VCR with good freeze frame.
	*Works with Perfect Vision, Digi-View digitizers, others too.

$70, buyer pays shipping.
Rick Forrest

laba-2ac@web-3h.berkeley.edu (08/29/89)

In article <4906@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:
>For Sale:
>
>SunRize Industries Color Splitter:
>
>	*Accepts NTSC video signal, splits it into R,G,B.
>	*Provision for S-Video input.
>	*Software or switch controlled.
>	*Great for digitizing from Laserdisk or VCR with good freeze frame.
>	*Works with Perfect Vision, Digi-View digitizers, others too.
>
>$70, buyer pays shipping.

This is a question I've always wanted to ask.

I want to digitize some pics, and I am considering one of two ways.
Either a framegrabber/buffer/etc, or a Color splitter/Digiview combo.

Has anybody used a colorsplitter/Digiview combo. I have a laserdisc *AND*
a time-base-corrector/frame-sync which will do freeze. Have you gotten better
res out of such a combo (splitter/Digiview) (I would assume so, but assuming
makes an....you get the picture). I am more worried about the color rendition.
I can control the color (called "subcarrier" for video techies) from my TBC,
but how accurately does a color-splitter filter the RGB components.

Personally, I'd like to use a CBS Labs RGB Proc-Amp, but they're expensive,
and the last one I saw was about 8 years ago.

>Rick Forrest

Rick, do you still have it for sale???  Let me know.

     Robert Gutierrez
     <ranma@cup.portal.com> from a borrowed account.
     ****DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ACCOUNT**** (reply to "ranma@..)

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!

ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (08/29/89)

In article <1989Aug29.074150.21899@agate.uucp>, laba-2ac@web-3h.berkeley.edu writes:
> In article <4906@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:
> >
> >SunRize Industries Color Splitter:
> >	*Great for digitizing from Laserdisk or VCR with good freeze frame.
> >	*Works with Perfect Vision, Digi-View digitizers, others too.
>
> I want to digitize some pics, and I am considering one of two ways.
> Either a framegrabber/buffer/etc, or a Color splitter/Digiview combo.
>
> Has anybody used a colorsplitter/Digiview combo. I have a laserdisc *AND*
[stuff omitted]
> but how accurately does a color-splitter filter the RGB components.

I can't specify how the splitting works in technical terms, but
I can say I've been real happy with the digiview-splitter combo.

I generally plug in a VCR with digital freeze frame (the Sunrize
folks say that not all VCRs are guaranteed to work, but ours does)
and split the signal coming into the digiview via the color
splitter.  The colors look as good as they do with digiview's
wheel filters.  I'd expect that the biggest variability for
most folks is "how frozen is that frame" rather than "how's the
color signal" since you can certainly tweak the colors to your
satisfaction with digiview once you've digitized the image.

Like I said, I don't do any pro/tech stuff, so I'm just saying I
like how it looks.  We've got VHS but not S-VHS; that requires
a minor hardware mod on the color splitter, as I recall.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (08/29/89)

In article <1989Aug29.074150.21899@agate.uucp> laba-2ac@web-3h () writes:
>Has anybody used a colorsplitter/Digiview combo. I have a laserdisc *AND*
>a time-base-corrector/frame-sync which will do freeze. Have you gotten better
>res out of such a combo (splitter/Digiview) [...]

Yes. I have used Digi-view to digitize the output of an NTSC decoder, one
colour at a time. The decoder is an Electrohome (ECP 1000, if I remember
correctly). This item, which may or may not be discontinued, is a high
quality decoder, with a comb filter. It cost us about $1k (Canadian).
The results are far superior to those obtained from Digiview's colour
filter wheel. The source video came from a videodisc. I did not need a
TBC.
--
                       Se non e` vero, e` ben trovato
     ...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king        king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (08/30/89)

>Rick, do you still have it for sale???  Let me know.

Thanks to all who inquired - the splitter is sold.

Rick Forrest.

colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (bennie colyer) (12/24/90)

Hi.  I've got a Digi-View digitizer and access to two very high
resolution color video cameras.  The problem is when I use the filter
wheel with them, I get a very noisy dirty signal.  I suspect that this
is do to the auto-correction circuitry (sp?) in the camera it's self.

My questions are these...

How can one obtain the higest quality images using a color camera and
the filter wheel?

And more importantly...   How good is the SunRize Industries Color
Splitter.   Anybody got one that would be willing to give me a revue?
I've heard good things about it, but I'd like to hear from an owner...
Also could someone tell me what issue of either AmigaWorld or Amazing
Computing it's been reviewed in?  (if any...)

Please mail your responses as I don't get a chance to read this group
all that often.  I'll post a summary if there seems to be sufficient
intrest...

Thanks for your time...

 DAVIDBOWIE*JETHROTULL*THEVELVETUNDERGROUND*KRAFTWERK*TANGERINEDREAM*LEDZEPPE
 * James E. Colyer - Amiga fiend, techo | # # | # # # | # # | # # # | # # | L
 P junkie, keyboard player, delver into | # # | # # # | # # | # # # | # # | I
 O arcane knowledge, etc, etc...        |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_N
 I COLYER@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  --  My comments are my own.               *
 D "I'm just a one line joker in the public bar." Jethro Tull - MITG - C-BW E
 OGPONDERING*PINKFLOYD*JUNGLEBROTHERS*ARTOFNOISE*TALKINGHEADS*JOYDIVISION*LOV