[comp.sys.amiga] ami-bbs

ssteinbe@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Sarah Steinberg) (12/21/90)

	This post is on behalf of my amiga users group:
We've been operating our bbs with an ibm pc-clone (8088),with a 60 meg HD,
using the WWIV BBs software. When the BBS started about four years ago
there was NO amiga BBS software.
	 Recently we've been debating whether to put another $200 into the
old clunker or trying to sell it and update our A500 with one of the many
new hard-drive-add-ram devices,and use it with amiga software.
 Any comments as to the following:
	1- Amiga bbs software (pd or comm) ,its quality vs WWIV. Especially
	   in terms of reliability (does it crash a lot). Also, user
           usability, there has been some dissatisfaction with wwIV
           in the BBS dept.,in that its hard to keep threaded messages going.
	2- Portability of the A500 - we gotta get it to our monthly meeting,
           so that probably means disconnecting the hd at the expansion
           slot a few times a month. Will that connection hold up?
	3- We are an amiga group, yet we use a clone to run our bbs.
           Are there advantages to running an amiga BBS with amiga software
	   aside from the obvious one of  the ability to copy files
	   to the board directly rather than uploading them?
I'll post all replies to our bbs, so they'll play a big part in what we
finally do.
					Thanks ahead of time.

--
                                                    << spiderman >>

in <2771bd8c.ae8@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> writes:

	This post is on behalf of my amiga users group: We've been operating
	our bbs with an ibm pc-clone (8088),with a 60 meg HD, using the WWIV
	BBs software. When the BBS started about four years ago there was NO
	amiga BBS software.
	[...]

NOT true.  We started BBS-JC (using MSS' "BBS-PC" software) on an A1000 back
in late 1985, and MANY other BBS systems using the same software started about
the same time in California and elsewhere, all on A1000 systems.

I just checked my purchase records, and my personal copy of BBS-PC was
purchased on 17-March-1986 (over 4.75 years ago) and that was months after
starting BBS-JC (in Silicon Valley).  BBS-JC is still running using version
4.20 of BBS-PC; in 1988 our slogan was:

	"Serving the Amiga Community for over a quarter of a decade!"   :-)

AMIC (in Santa Rosa, CA) started about 1/2 year after BBS-JC, and FAUG
changed from its C64 to an A1000 running BBS-PC about the same time.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) (12/24/90)

>	This post is on behalf of my amiga users group:
>We've been operating our bbs with an ibm pc-clone (8088),with a 60 meg HD,
>using the WWIV BBs software. When the BBS started about four years ago
>there was NO amiga BBS software.
>	 Recently we've been debating whether to put another $200 into the
>old clunker or trying to sell it and update our A500 with one of the many
>new hard-drive-add-ram devices,and use it with amiga software.
> Any comments as to the following:
>	1- Amiga bbs software (pd or comm) ,its quality vs WWIV. Especially
>	   in terms of reliability (does it crash a lot). Also, user
>	    usability, there has been some dissatisfaction with wwIV
>	    in the BBS dept.,in that its hard to keep threaded messages going.

I would recogmend CNET software for the Amiga.	Very robust, but a steep
learning curve for new users.  VERY POWERFUL.

>	2- Portability of the A500 - we gotta get it to our monthly meeting,
>	    so that probably means disconnecting the hd at the expansion
>	    slot a few times a month. Will that connection hold up?

Seems to, as long as your careful.  I've moved mine around quite a bit
lately and no probs yet.

>	3- We are an amiga group, yet we use a clone to run our bbs.
>	    Are there advantages to running an amiga BBS with amiga software
>	   aside from the obvious one of  the ability to copy files
>	   to the board directly rather than uploading them?

Thats the main advantage.  Well, the second BIG advantage is that
running the board on the Ami is that it MULTITASKS, so it doesn't
tie up the machine completely.

>I'll post all replies to our bbs, so they'll play a big part in what we
>finally do.
>					Thanks ahead of time.
>
>--
>						     << spiderman >>

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/