[comp.sys.amiga] Industry Publications Ignoring the Amiga.

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (12/11/90)

In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU
(Marc Barrett) suggests that magazines ignore the Amiga because of
its small percentage of market share.  This might well be true, but
is that really the point?  We're trying to do a bit of consciousness-
raising here.  After all, because so many installations still use
COBOL (I do all week long) why should we consider any new languages?
For that matter, when the Mac first came out it didn't have a very
large share of the market either; what if nobody fought for it then?

     Besides, don't you think we should counter with the truth when
people make claims (or even imply things) such as "IBM/Microsoft
invented desktop multitasking"?

     I'm not advocating the sort of fanaticism that leads to such
things as the Amiga-vs-NeXT wars that most of us are now so sick of.
But what's wrong with trying to at least make people aware that
there are alternatives out there?  Isn't that what advertising
is all about?

     I like my Amigas, and I'm not about to crawl off into a corner
and die just because it hasn't taken over the whole marketplace.

     Just my two cents' worth.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
Intel put the "backward" in "backward compatible."

WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) (12/11/90)

   It seems that I can never scan through more than a screenful of
message titles in this newsgroup without coming across at least a
couple of messages from people complaining that yet another magazine
article on multimedia ignores the Amiga.

   Whenever I read these messages (which inevitably suggest some kind
of letter-writing campaign, as if we haven't done enough for Commodore
already, and now we have to do their work for them), one question
always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
Amiga?

   Remember that the Amiga is NOT a serious influence on the computer
industry, especially in the U.S.  The installed base of Amigas in the
U.S. is only slightly above 500,000 units, compared to an installed
base of 3 Million Macintosh computers and over 10 Million IBM-
compatible systems.  Magazine authors and editors always write for
the largest audience, and the Amiga audience is totally insignificant
compared to the audience of Mac and IBM users.

   Another thing to remember is that over 2/3 of the Amiga systems
currently being used in the U.S. are A500 systems.  Most of these
systems are being used for less professional uses, such as games.
I would estimate the installed base of Amiga systems in the U.S.
that are currently actually being used for video, multimedia, and
other professional uses to be somewhere around 100,000.  This
compares to the fact that nearly all Macintosh systems sold are
being used for professional purposes, and much of the installed
base of IBM-compatibles is being used for professional and
business purposes.

   In summary, the installed base of Macintosh and IBM-compatible
systems in the U.S. already outwighs the Amiga's installed base by
a factor of 6 for the MAC and 20 for the IBMs.  Add to this the
fact that most Amigas are being used in homes, while most MACs
are being used in schools, universities, and corporations.
Together this all points to the conclusion that the audience of
people actually using MACs and IBMs for professional purposes
outweighs the audience of people using Amigas for professional
purposes by perhaps 100-to-one.  It is no wonder that these
publications ignore the Amiga -- it is not a significant influence
on the computer industry.

                                 -MB-

a596@mindlink.UUCP (Terry Palfrey) (12/11/90)

gadzooks....how many pc magazines?
carumba.....how many mac rags?
oihvey......amiga monthlies?
please get real...amiga isn't a clone or a ... a .... well anyway to
wish to be in the ibm/clone arena is just a little silly...you want
pournelle writing about how he brought his files through old zeke onto
the amiga and then through amax into a format for the lino ??????
what exactly do all you cryers of doom want....I am happy...well maybe
if I was richer....comp.sys.amiga has the top two articles on
usenet.news for volume ... take it away from here...

   o       o       o>
  /|\     <|\     /|/
  / \     / >      >      snap kick - AsciiMation

    =   o
  =  _ /- _
=   (_)> (_)    we'll never catch up now bobo.........

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (12/11/90)

In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   It seems that I can never scan through more than a screenful of
>message titles in this newsgroup without coming across at least a
>couple of messages from people complaining that yet another magazine
>article on multimedia ignores the Amiga.
>
>   Whenever I read these messages (which inevitably suggest some kind
>of letter-writing campaign, as if we haven't done enough for Commodore
>already, and now we have to do their work for them), one question
>always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
>Amiga?
>
>   Remember that the Amiga is NOT a serious influence on the computer
>industry, especially in the U.S.  The installed base of Amigas in the
>U.S. is only slightly above 500,000 units, compared to an installed
>base of 3 Million Macintosh computers and over 10 Million IBM-
>compatible systems.  Magazine authors and editors always write for
>the largest audience, and the Amiga audience is totally insignificant
>compared to the audience of Mac and IBM users.
>
>   Another thing to remember is that over 2/3 of the Amiga systems
>currently being used in the U.S. are A500 systems.  Most of these
>systems are being used for less professional uses, such as games.
>I would estimate the installed base of Amiga systems in the U.S.
>that are currently actually being used for video, multimedia, and
>other professional uses to be somewhere around 100,000.  This
>compares to the fact that nearly all Macintosh systems sold are
>being used for professional purposes, and much of the installed
>base of IBM-compatibles is being used for professional and
>business purposes.
>
>   In summary, the installed base of Macintosh and IBM-compatible
>systems in the U.S. already outwighs the Amiga's installed base by
>a factor of 6 for the MAC and 20 for the IBMs.  Add to this the
>fact that most Amigas are being used in homes, while most MACs
>are being used in schools, universities, and corporations.
>Together this all points to the conclusion that the audience of
>people actually using MACs and IBMs for professional purposes
>outweighs the audience of people using Amigas for professional
>purposes by perhaps 100-to-one.  It is no wonder that these
>publications ignore the Amiga -- it is not a significant influence
>on the computer industry.
>
>and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...
>
>                                 -MB-

Sigh.  I could answer him and point out the flaws in his argument but I need
to work on a programming assignment for class on my under-represented,
misunderstood, poor doomed game machine and don't have the time.  Anyone care
to oblige?
--
           Darin Sheriff.  Just a College student with an Amiga.
 "The Most dangerous thing in the world is to leap a chasm in two jumps."

In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
> one question
>always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
>Amiga?

Because there is also a competition between magazines. And one good
argument for a magazine is that it shows COMPETENCE. If the magazine
and its writers show that they know the state of the art then they
are much better at comparing and judging. And to not mention the Amiga
in articles about Multimedia simply shows the ignorance of the writer
and the editors, they plainly DON'T KNOW what they write.
THEY'RE DUMB. And you might conclude that such dumbness not only appears
regarding coverage of the Amiga. I suspect that in such magazines also
other very important topics are forgotten, because those dumb authors
don't know about what is going on in real life. They are computer
illiterate.
So one should write them and give them a hint that they should improve
their computer knowledge reasonably, because else they could be subject
to lose competition in this market.

>   Remember that the Amiga is NOT a serious influence on the computer
>industry, especially in the U.S.

I guess this WILL change :-).

>   Another thing to remember is that over 2/3 of the Amiga systems
>currently being used in the U.S. are A500 systems.  Most of these
>systems are being used for less professional uses, such as games.

But they have all the power of an Amiga, do spread the word, and
build a reasonable basis to build on and to earn the money Commodore
needs to develop even nicer things.

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (12/12/90)

From article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET>, by WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett):

>    Remember that the Amiga is NOT a serious influence on the computer
> industry, especially in the U.S.  The installed base of Amigas in the
> U.S. is only slightly above 500,000 units, compared to an installed
> base of 3 Million Macintosh computers and over 10 Million IBM-
> compatible systems.  Magazine authors and editors always write for
> the largest audience, and the Amiga audience is totally insignificant
> compared to the audience of Mac and IBM users.

So, only computers with a large installed base should be talked
about in the press.  Wow, I guess the Mac and IBMs should never
have gotten any press in the first place.  Since the only computer
to ever have started off with a large installed base was the first
one made (don't remember which one, since it is not written about
much these days) I guess that is the only one that should have ever
gotten any writeups.
>    Another thing to remember is that over 2/3 of the Amiga systems
> currently being used in the U.S. are A500 systems.  Most of these
> systems are being used for less professional uses, such as games.
> I would estimate the installed base of Amiga systems in the U.S.
> that are currently actually being used for video, multimedia, and
> other professional uses to be somewhere around 100,000.  This
> compares to the fact that nearly all Macintosh systems sold are
> being used for professional purposes, and much of the installed
> base of IBM-compatibles is being used for professional and
> business purposes.
Yeah, nobody would even bother writing a game for IBMs or for the
Mac.  Nobody would ever buy such a thing.  You better tell Sierra,
Electronic Arts, etc, etc... to just give up and file for bankruptcy
since NOBODY would buy their silly software for use on such a serious
PROFESSIONAL platform.  Again since the first computer made had 100%
of the market and it was used 100% of the time for REAL work it should
have been the only computer to ever be written about.

>    In summary, the installed base of Macintosh and IBM-compatible
> systems in the U.S. already outwighs the Amiga's installed base by
> a factor of 6 for the MAC and 20 for the IBMs.  Add to this the
> fact that most Amigas are being used in homes, while most MACs
> are being used in schools, universities, and corporations.
> Together this all points to the conclusion that the audience of
> people actually using MACs and IBMs for professional purposes
> outweighs the audience of people using Amigas for professional
> purposes by perhaps 100-to-one.  It is no wonder that these
> publications ignore the Amiga -- it is not a significant influence
> on the computer industry.

Get real.  To have an influence on industry you don't have to have a huge
installed base.  If that were true we would never get anywhere and Apple
should have given up long ago (before it got its huge installed base) and
NeXt, Commodore, Sun, etc aren't going to give up because they don't have
10 million users yet.  They will just keep innovating and influencing the
computer industry until (and hopefully after) they get their huge installed
base.  IBM does not have as much influence now, with a larger installed
base, than they did 5 years ago.  They have been pushed aside by Compaq.
At least in the clone world.

In summary - what a bad argument for the Amiga not getting any press.

P.S.  I now own an IBM clone, work on Apollo (HP now) workstations and
will be buying an Amiga within the next coupla months.  So C= has had
at least some influence.

john gay.		No fancy sig.

WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) (12/12/90)

In article <629@cbmger.UUCP> Peter Kittel GERMANY <peterk@cbmger.UUCP> writes:

>In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
>> one question
>>always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
>>Amiga?
>
>Because there is also a competition between magazines. And one good
>argument for a magazine is that it shows COMPETENCE. If the magazine
>and its writers show that they know the state of the art then they
>are much better at comparing and judging. And to not mention the Amiga
>in articles about Multimedia simply shows the ignorance of the writer
>and the editors, they plainly DON'T KNOW what they write.
>THEY'RE DUMB. And you might conclude that such dumbness not only appears
>regarding coverage of the Amiga. I suspect that in such magazines also
>other very important topics are forgotten, because those dumb authors
>don't know about what is going on in real life. They are computer
>illiterate.
>So one should write them and give them a hint that they should improve
>their computer knowledge reasonably, because else they could be subject
>to lose competition in this market.

   I did not get my point across very well in the original message, so I
will restate it here.  Magazines do not write for computers.  Magazines
write for PEOPLE.  The people that most computer industry publications in
the U.S. (such as InfoWorld, PC World, etc.) write for is the community
of people who use computers for professional purposes.

   Unfortunaly, Amiga users make up only a tiny fraction of that
community.  Until this changes, these publications will continue to not
mention the Amiga in their articles.  For all of the Amiga's capabilities,
it is not of most interest to 95% of the readers of these magazines.
These magazines, therefore, do not mention anything that is not of much
interest to their readers.

   All the bundled multimedia software in the world, and all the
multimedia capabilities in the world, will not make these publications
notice the Amiga.  Amiga users need to become a noticeable percentage of
the community of professional computer users.  Unfortunately, this has not
happened yet, and at the current rate that Commodore is selling
'professional' (non-A500) Amigas in the U.S., it likely never will.

>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

                                     -MB-

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (12/12/90)

MB say:

"Magazines do not write for computers, they write for PEOPLE."

I think this is not completely true. Magazines also write for
their advertisers. Even if magazines wrote entirely for PEOPLE, it would
help if a magazine that claimed to cover 'all markets' covered them completely.
2 million Amiga users, even 100,000 is nothing to shrug off.

Well, lets just kill this thread. I could care less about PC World
covering the Amiga. I'd rather read a magazine DEDICATED to the Amiga
with accurate data, rather than a PC mag that prints 4 line tidbits
of false data on the Amiga. Its those small error-ridden comments
in PC mags that may hurt the Amiga even more. So rather than have
NO coverage, or very little/non-complete. I think i'd take none.

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.041707.29818@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) writes:
>In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
>> [ Why publications don't write about the Amiga, boils down to ]
>>   ...the Amiga is NOT a serious influence on the computer
>>industry, especially in the U.S.  The installed base of Amigas in the
>>U.S. is only slightly above 500,000 units, compared to an installed
>>base of 3 Million Macintosh computers and over 10 Million IBM-
>>compatible systems.  Magazine authors and editors always write for
>>the largest audience, and the Amiga audience is totally insignificant
>>compared to the audience of Mac and IBM users.
>>
>> [ ...and how most Amigas are A500's in homes. ]
>>
>>                                 -MB-
>
>Sigh.  I could answer him and point out the flaws in his argument but I need
>to work on a programming assignment for class on my under-represented,
>misunderstood, poor doomed game machine and don't have the time.  Anyone care
>to oblige?

Nope.  I think he's got it right on the money.  The only exception, the
single profession market for the Amiga is video production, where it
has made a name for itself.  Read the video magazines and you'll see
that they cover the Amiga quite heavily.

The Amiga has not made the smallest dent in the business market,  which
is where the money is, and where all the focus in the USA is.
The business desktop has been taken by the PC.  It's not even a marketplace
anymore, it's an institution taken completely for granted by everyone
involved.  The Amiga has no chance there, and therefore will never
receive any better press in the business and PC trade rags.  It may
penetrate new markets, perhaps the A3000UX will create a new view of
desktop Unix machines.  All this remains to be seen.

--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (12/12/90)

I thought that the purpose of the magazines was to inform the
readers?  Isn't that the whole idea of the press anyway?  If
newspapers and magazines just gave the reader what he/she
wanted to 'hear', then the entire paper would be the funnies-no
deaths, no rape, no big-business takeovers.
    I realize as that from an economic point of view, the magazines
have to fulfill their debt and make some money.  But it should
be their second objective to inform the public of the news, including
the Amiga.  There is no way that the computer magazines such as
PC(IBM?) world, Byte, etc.  give the Amiga the coverage it deserves.  Other
wise we would see more Ami articles.  They are either grossly biased,
or just plain ignorant - actually I think that it is a lot of both.

Chad

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (12/12/90)

-
-  I realize as that from an economic point of view, the magazines
- have to fulfill their debt and make some money.  But it should be
- their second objective to inform the public of the news, including the
- Amiga.  There is no way that the computer magazines such as PC(IBM?)
- world, Byte, etc.  give the Amiga the coverage it deserves.  Other
- wise we would see more Ami articles.

You almost got it at the beginning of the second paragraph.  In order
to make money, the magazines must receive it from advertisers who pay
the magazines to place thet ads.  An advertiser for an MS-DOS product
doesn't want to put an ad in an MS-DOS magazine that has praises
about the Amiga.  The advertiser wants MS-DOS buyers to see his
product and buy it, not an Amiga user or future Amiga user to see the
ad and just turn the page.  Therefore, the magazines write articles
about the MS-DOS systems to attract the MS-DOS readers, the MS-DOS
advertisers, and the MS-DOS money.

There are a couple of free (gee, some stuff is still free these
days :^) computer magazines called MicroTimes and Computer Currents
in the San Francisco Bay Area and some other select places.
MicroTimes caters to the MS-DOS, Mac, Amiga, and Atari ST crowds.
The magazine is filled with MS-DOS and Mac ads, yet opposite the
pages of the Amiga and ST columns are the Amiga and ST ads, because
the advertisers know that the Amiga and ST owners will read the
column and hopefully see the ads.  They're not going to place their
ads opposite MacFocus, because they fear they will waste their
advertising bucks since the Amiga and ST owners won't see them.

Some advertising trivia: Guess what gets placed first in a newspaper,
the news or the ads?

The ads are placed first and then the news stories are placed around
it.  The newspapers don't give a damn about the news.  They just want
to make sure that their advertisers are happy because that's who
gives them their paychecks.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/12/90)

In article <EF73892CBBBF006453@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:

>In article <629@cbmger.UUCP> Peter Kittel GERMANY <peterk@cbmger.UUCP> writes:
>
>>In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>> one question
>>>always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
>>>Amiga?
>>
>>Because there is also a competition between magazines. And one good
>>argument for a magazine is that it shows COMPETENCE. If the magazine
>>and its writers show that they know the state of the art then they
>>are much better at comparing and judging. And to not mention the Amiga
>>in articles about Multimedia simply shows the ignorance of the writer
>>and the editors, they plainly DON'T KNOW what they write.
>>THEY'RE DUMB. And you might conclude that such dumbness not only appears
>>regarding coverage of the Amiga. I suspect that in such magazines also
>>other very important topics are forgotten, because those dumb authors
>>don't know about what is going on in real life. They are computer
>>illiterate.
>>So one should write them and give them a hint that they should improve
>>their computer knowledge reasonably, because else they could be subject
>>to lose competition in this market.
>
>   I did not get my point across very well in the original message, so I
>will restate it here.  Magazines do not write for computers.  Magazines
>write for PEOPLE.  The people that most computer industry publications in
>the U.S. (such as InfoWorld, PC World, etc.) write for is the community
>of people who use computers for professional purposes.
>
>   Unfortunaly, Amiga users make up only a tiny fraction of that
>community.  Until this changes, these publications will continue to not
>mention the Amiga in their articles.  For all of the Amiga's capabilities,
>it is not of most interest to 95% of the readers of these magazines.
>These magazines, therefore, do not mention anything that is not of much
>interest to their readers.
>
>   All the bundled multimedia software in the world, and all the
>multimedia capabilities in the world, will not make these publications
>notice the Amiga.  Amiga users need to become a noticeable percentage of
>the community of professional computer users.  Unfortunately, this has not
>happened yet, and at the current rate that Commodore is selling
>'professional' (non-A500) Amigas in the U.S., it likely never will.

There are several things in the above that makes me choke. The amiga has a
large following among computer literate people. There is NO way you can make
people who don't wish to learn about new concepts learn in just a few months.
You have to work at it for years. Needless to say I consider computer
journalists among the most reactionary people around. There is another thing
also, the magazines don't write for people. They sell readers to advertisers.
As long as the readers let them get away with paid misinformation they will
continue to cover only paying customers. You mention that 95% of the readers
aren't interested in the Amiga. I don't agree with that estimate but if it
were true it is due to the magazine targetting the mac or ms-dos users to
the exclusion of anything else. Lets compare different articles. When new
and revolutionary software is released the article is of interest to a great
many people beyond the primary group of would be buyers. When new hardware
is released it appeals to a wider audience too. It is only run-of-the-mill
type stuff that is of no interest to a wider audience. I can understand
that magazines won't cover yet-another-WP for a small platform but not to
review stuff like Real3D, Caligari Broadcast and similar products is a crime.
This is true for more machines than the Amiga though.

Why do you think professional equals non-500 systems. The A500 is technically
superior to serious macs and pc-clones. I own an A500 and though I use it for
games I would chose it any day over the mac for instance. ( better keyboard,
faster utilities, multitasking etc. works just as well without expansion slots)
Come to think of it I play more games on the Sun than on my amy at present.

/Jorgen

email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

In article <EF73892CBBBF006453@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:

>In article <629@cbmger.UUCP> Peter Kittel GERMANY <peterk@cbmger.UUCP> writes:
>
>>In article <F03D042028BF0067CD@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
>>> one question
>>>always pops into my mind: why should these magazines mention the
>>>Amiga?
>>
>>Because there is also a competition between magazines.

And there is a real-world example right before my eyes. As I already
told here, the best and biggest general-computer magazine in Germany
is "c't". It's mainly PC oriented, but it also KNOWS the Amiga (and,
well, ST and Mac). So when it is appropriate, they also mention the
Amiga (e.g. talking graphics, multitasking, multimedia). And the
result: They have totally outgrown some competing magazines that
cover PC and Mac only. So: Competence sells, this is my opinion and
experience.

>  Magazines do not write for computers.  Magazines
>write for PEOPLE.

Yes, and readers demand from the magazines to get informed fully
and correctly.

In article <1990Dec12.054959.21185@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>  The newspapers don't give a damn about the news.  They just want
>to make sure that their advertisers are happy because that's who
>gives them their paychecks.

I disagree a little here: The magazines also must ensure the
advertizers that at least SOME people READ those ads. And I always
believe that people and especially computer magazine readers are
not as dumb as always stated. So they also choose the magazines
they read after their impression of how competent and informative
a magazine is. And when it turns out and becomes public conscience
that one magazine simply doesn't konw about an important part of
the market, then this magazine will be sold less, fewer people
read the ads, and the advertisers will turn to magazines that
know better.

Well, sounds perhaps a bit idealistic. But at least here in our
place it works this way as I told in another posting.

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/13/90)

This shows the signs of a group of threads (is there a reason why some
threads end up being ten or twelve separate messages?) that's gonna go on
and on...

Folks, think about something:  how much coverage of Nexts or Suns do you see
in those same magazines?  The Amiga doesn't get a heck of a lot less
coverage than those other machines.

Please go on with your ranting and raving...

/****************************************************************
 *          All of the above copyright by the below.            *
 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *
 *    "A language is a dialect with an army and a navy."        *
 ****************************************************************/

jsd@moray.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (12/13/90)

In article <23958@grebyn.com>, ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

|> The Amiga has not made the smallest dent in the business market,  which
|> is where the money is, and where all the focus in the USA is.
|> The business desktop has been taken by the PC.  It's not even a marketplace
|> anymore, it's an institution taken completely for granted by everyone
|> involved.  The Amiga has no chance there, and therefore will never
|> receive any better press in the business and PC trade rags.  It may
|> penetrate new markets, perhaps the A3000UX will create a new view of
|> desktop Unix machines.  All this remains to be seen.

One thing that would help Commodore capture the business market is
to shead its name.  And possibly even the Amiga name.  Why?  When
you mention Commodore to a person, the must likely thing that he/she
will think of is 'game machine' or the 64 (that's assuming he doesn't
know much about the Amiga.

If you still don't beleive me, look at Atari.  At one point they
really had some good computers.  Supposedly the new Atari TT is
suppose to be good (I don't know.  Even if it isn't, please get your
mouth closed.)  Mention a Atari computer to most people and they'll
respond, 'Atari makes computers?'

Its true.  Most business people don't like chances and when a company
has a game-machine reputation, chances are they arn't even going to
look at that make.

One last thing, I know several people w/ Amigas and I've never seen
any of them running business-related applications, ie. word-pro.,
spread-sheets, etc.

--
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
r     ___     _              "...but then there was the         r

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/13/90)

In article <EF73892CBBBF006453@ISUVAX.BITNET> WHE46@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   I did not get my point across very well in the original message, so I
>will restate it here.  Magazines do not write for computers.  Magazines
>write for PEOPLE.  The people that most computer industry publications in
>the U.S. (such as InfoWorld, PC World, etc.) write for is the community
>of people who use computers for professional purposes.
>
>   Unfortunaly, Amiga users make up only a tiny fraction of that
>community.  Until this changes, these publications will continue to not
>mention the Amiga in their articles.  For all of the Amiga's capabilities,
>it is not of most interest to 95% of the readers of these magazines.
>These magazines, therefore, do not mention anything that is not of much
>interest to their readers.

	If these arguments held any truth at all then there would be zero
	articles about the NeXT printed. This has not been the case, so
	there must be someother underlying reasons for the lack of Amiga
	articles.

	I suggest that it is fear! The Amiga has been ridiculed from the
	start by MAC and IBM magazine types because they fear to lose
	Advertising money from MAC/IBM sources. It was a terrific
	machine from the start (with an immature OS 1.0) that shook up a
	lot of people. The defense against it was fueled by CBM and
	the orginal Amiga corp.. The Amiga was protected from pre-introduction
	discovery by being a "killer game machine". Every feature that the
	Amiga has had from the start has since been "re-invented" by Apple
	and IBM since (i.e multi-tasking OS, multimedia, NTSC compatability
	the list goes on...). As the gap narrows the amount of articles
	has increased. Amiga is now getting fair press coverage (fair
	as in not negative,but still unequal) along with a better rep
	for support (thanks CBM). Things are leveling out but that is
	a problem in it's self. CBM needs something NOW to push ahead,
	as to what that is who knows? Maybe the 040 board for the A3000,
	maybe an A4000 (but I doubt it), maybe bundled Ethernet......
	something needs to break and break big.

	Enough of my two cents worth, send all flames to MB--he's used to it
	by now :)

	Monty Saine

lag@pawl.rpi.edu (Jose Raffucci) (12/13/90)

Ok, so maybe the magazines of the world *are* ignoring the amy to a degree,
but what about C= ignoring it's potentially life-saving market?  The way I
see it, the student market is the only thing that's going to really save them,
especially schools like mine, i.e. engineering and tech schools.  You say that
the business market is everything and that we have not even knicked it.  What
would happen if highly specialized graduates trickled into the business world,
and their companies would depend on them as advisors on computers, and say,
they just *happend* to know what the amiga could do, and the price vs.
performance stats?  It just might change things a little.  Sadly, all I see
at fairs around here are Mac's, IBM's, a few SPARC's, and now, some NeXT's.
Even if those same people goggled at the output on the next, what would
happen if there were some 3000UX's sitting nearby so that they could compare?
The people here know what a computer is capable of doing, and how to make it
do what they want.  True, we are not the general public, but we're the ones
that will be developing for large companies in the future.  Anyone following
this?

I was pretty disappointed when I saw the NeXT here the other day, and everyone
(including myself) was goggling over them.  I sat down and tried to max it,
and unfortunately for them, I bogged it down rather easily.  People saw that
and they knew exactly what was going on, it's SLOW.  Now, before you start
flaming, let me say that I'm not getting into the war, i'm only pointing out
what many of you already know.  Educational discounts are NOT enough.  We need
a little more support and initiative.  I hate to whine, but I feel rather
envious that here I am, watching inferior machines get supported by their
companies, and people who would probably end up buying an amy if given the
chance, not doing so...tis sad, tis true.  I think that we, the users have
done a whole hell of a lot to sell this machine, C= is getting their act
together, but I really want this machine to keep going...

-laggie
                I will not encourage others to fly...         L.A.G.N.A.F.
  //  The Amigoids from hell,                             lag@pawl.rpi.edu
\X/   Renssepolytechnitute                             lagnaf@mts.rpi.edu

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/13/90)

In article <636@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <1990Dec12.054959.21185@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>>
>>  The newspapers don't give a damn about the news.  They just want
>>to make sure that their advertisers are happy because that's who
>>gives them their paychecks.
>
>I disagree a little here: The magazines also must ensure the
>advertizers that at least SOME people READ those ads. And I always
>believe that people and especially computer magazine readers are
>not as dumb as always stated. So they also choose the magazines
>they read after their impression of how competent and informative
>a magazine is. And when it turns out and becomes public conscience
>that one magazine simply doesn't konw about an important part of
>the market, then this magazine will be sold less, fewer people
>read the ads, and the advertisers will turn to magazines that
>know better.
>
>Well, sounds perhaps a bit idealistic. But at least here in our
>place it works this way as I told in another posting.

It sounds a lot like utopia to me. People are stupid. Don't take that personal
unless you have to :-) Look at this net for instance. My impression of the net
is that it must be the most computer-literate information system available.
Still we have a LARGE number of people claiming that you can't use the amiga
for anything but games and that IBM invented multimedia just to take some
examples close to this group. Other groups have similar problems with people
talking about things they know little or nothing about. Yes, I know, I am one
of those people who like to see my voice in print no matter what I say. That
also makes me sort of an expert on the subject though :-)
The majority of postings on the net are just rehashing old facts and fiction.
The same holds true in an even higher degree for computer magazines. After
reading a couple of PC rags I have come to the conclusion that people don't
buy them to get information but to get as much paper as possible.

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (12/13/90)

In a message posted on 13 Dec 90 01:05:19 GMT,
lag@pawl.rpi.edu (Jose Raffucci) wrote:
JR>envious that here I am, watching inferior machines get supported by their
JR>companies, and people who would probably end up buying an amy if given the

I think there is something to be said about tha Amiga in all this.  It must be a
pretty awsome system.  Do you know of any OTHER system that has survived as long
without any marketing ;-)

:Later
---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {fts1,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (12/14/90)

Ed,
If they want MS-DOS ads, then call the magazine MS-DOS world.  Its just
a disguise that they put on, calling themselves PC WORLD when they only
cover about 1/10 of the globe.
   Yes, I know about the ads and news mixing--I've read computer shopper
a few times.
   If they don't give a damn, they should get outta the business.  I just
tire of seeing computer magazines that only show a few systems and claim
to be system-wide reports.  I am sure that there is a link between the
sales of a computer and its advertising in the magazines, correct?  If
I were computer illiterate and looking for a system, I would pick up
PC WORLD not AmigaWorld.  After all, it should have the most unbiased
report among all of the periodicals, right?........

 Chad

jsd@moray.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (12/14/90)

In article <3JF^8$-@rpi.edu>, lag@pawl.rpi.edu (Jose Raffucci) writes:

|> I was pretty disappointed when I saw the NeXT here the other day, and everyone
|> (including myself) was goggling over them.  I sat down and tried to max it,
|> and unfortunately for them, I bogged it down rather easily.  People saw that
|> and they knew exactly what was going on, it's SLOW.

Oh, I`ll bet you 500 does circles around the NeXT 040.

--
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
r     ___     _              "...but then there was the         r
r    /__     | \              possibility that they were        r
r   ___/hawn |__\ube          LaRouche democrats which, of      r
r  jsd@owlnet.rice.edu        course, were better off dead."    r
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (12/14/90)

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:

[various bits deleted]

> >I disagree a little here: The magazines also must ensure the
> >advertizers that at least SOME people READ those ads. And I always
> >believe that people and especially computer magazine readers are
> >not as dumb as always stated. So they also choose the magazines
> >they read after their impression of how competent and informative
> >a magazine is. And when it turns out and becomes public conscience
> >that one magazine simply doesn't konw about an important part of
> >the market, then this magazine will be sold less, fewer people
> >read the ads, and the advertisers will turn to magazines that
> >know better.
>
> It sounds a lot like utopia to me. People are stupid. Don't take that persona
> unless you have to :-) Look at this net for instance. My impression of the ne
> is that it must be the most computer-literate information system available.
> Still we have a LARGE number of people claiming that you can't use the amiga
> for anything but games and that IBM invented multimedia just to take some
> examples close to this group. Other groups have similar problems with people
> talking about things they know little or nothing about. Yes, I know, I am one
> of those people who like to see my voice in print no matter what I say. That
> also makes me sort of an expert on the subject though :-)
> The majority of postings on the net are just rehashing old facts and fiction.
> The same holds true in an even higher degree for computer magazines. After
> reading a couple of PC rags I have come to the conclusion that people don't
> buy them to get information but to get as much paper as possible.

Well, seeing as comp.sys.amiga is already turning into rec.autos... :-)

I am one of those poor souls who punishes themselves by buying car magazines.
(It's a punishment because I can't afford them!)

If I saw a car magazine which neglected certain brands, I wouldn't bother
buying it. Let's face it, can you see any general purpose car magazine leaving
out articles on the latest Ferrari because they sell about 4000 a year
compared to Fords xx million vehicles??

The same applies to reading about the Amiga in magazines. I buy some
specialist magazines - but I also buy one or two general magazines in an
attempt to keep up with what's happening in the rest of the business.
--
      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
Mail : sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz

       Disclaimers are for sick societies with too many lawyers.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/14/90)

While hoity-toity Mac and IBM flack publications like Info World and their ilk
are studiously avoiding mention of the Amiga, it must be noted that the four
page color ad in PEOPLE Magazine is (gasp!) actually SELLING Amigas to REAL
WORLD people, who are buying them for their kids, or to play games, or to
do WP, or whatever. And those 500Cs are becoming the next C64 in terms of
market saturation, and that cannot be ANYTHING but GOOD.

BTW, I got my first computer to play games on. These days, I do DTP mostly.
I'm not all THAT unusual as a computer user goes...

                                                --Rick Wrigley

Usual disclaimers apply

jsd@spotted.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (12/15/90)

In article <0bO1DBe00VQC43NlRU@andrew.cmu.edu>, cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) writes:
|> Ed,
|> If they want MS-DOS ads, then call the magazine MS-DOS world.  Its just
|> a disguise that they put on, calling themselves PC WORLD when they only
|> cover about 1/10 of the globe.                  ^^^^^^^^
                                            You forget:  An MS-DOS machine
  and an IBM PC clone are two different machines.  MSDOS is the dos that
  most PC's run.  A IBM PC can run many different op-sys.

  To me, the title "PC WORLD" refers to the ibm "PC" and its clones, not
  every personnal computer in the world.  If they wanted every personnal
  computer instead of just the "PC", then they could have called their
  mag "MICRO-COMPUTER WORLD."

  Think about it before you say or do or post.

--

johnhlee@piccolo.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.174951.1555@rice.edu> jsd@spotted.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:
>In article <0bO1DBe00VQC43NlRU@andrew.cmu.edu>, cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) writes:
>|> Ed,
>|> If they want MS-DOS ads, then call the magazine MS-DOS world.  Its just
>|> a disguise that they put on, calling themselves PC WORLD when they only
>|> cover about 1/10 of the globe.                  ^^^^^^^^
[...]
>  To me, the title "PC WORLD" refers to the ibm "PC" and its clones, not
>  every personnal computer in the world.  If they wanted every personnal
>  computer instead of just the "PC", then they could have called their
>  mag "MICRO-COMPUTER WORLD."
>
>  Think about it before you say or do or post.

One should take one's own advice...

It wasn't too long ago that "PC" meant Personal Computer, not a specific
microcomputer, until IBM decided to corrupt computer jargon with the IBM PC.

Yet even today, many people associate "PC" with Personal Computer.  How many
people do you know will talk to you about "your PC" even when they know you
have an Amiga, MacIntosh, or 3b1?  Hence "PC World" connotes more general
coverage than actuality.

"PC World" is a nice way to project encompassing coverage without lying
about its true audience.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) (12/16/90)

In article <49754@cornell.UUCP>, johnhlee@piccolo.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:

|> It wasn't too long ago that "PC" meant Personal Computer, not a specific
|> microcomputer, until IBM decided to corrupt computer jargon with the IBM PC.
IBM corrupted computer jargon?  How?  They called their machine the "IBM PC,"
not just "PC".  Its is the IBM Personal Computer.

|> Yet even today, many people associate "PC" with Personal Computer.  How many
|> people do you know will talk to you about "your PC" even when they know you
|> have an Amiga, MacIntosh, or 3b1?  Hence "PC World" connotes more general
|> coverage than actuality.

Yes, even I associate "PC" with a personal computer.  However, "PC" *can*
mean either one.  So "PC World" is either for all pc's or just IBM PC's.
Which name do you think sounds better, PC World or IBM PC World?

--

labb-2ae@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (Joe C.) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec15.215451.23153@rice.edu> jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:
>In article <49754@cornell.UUCP>, johnhlee@piccolo.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:
>

>|> It wasn't too long ago that "PC" meant Personal Computer, not a specific
>|> microcomputer, until IBM decided to corrupt computer jargon with the IBM PC.
>IBM corrupted computer jargon?  How?  They called their machine the "IBM PC,"
>not just "PC".  Its is the IBM Personal Computer.

IBM may not have corrupted the name, but nowadays when people say PC, they
usually mean an IBM PC, or more likely, an IBM PC clone.  This is because
the "PC's" have such a large piece of the market pie.  Everyone I've met who
has told me, "I have a PC," or "I'm gonna buy a PC" has always meant the
IBM clones.

This is not the first time that a trademarked name has become a common
everyday word; remember Xerox?  That trademarked name has become both a noun
and a verb in today's society.  Why?  Because everyone was using Xerox's
copying machine.

>|> Yet even today, many people associate "PC" with Personal Computer.  How many
>|> people do you know will talk to you about "your PC" even when they know you
>|> have an Amiga, MacIntosh, or 3b1?  Hence "PC World" connotes more general
>|> coverage than actuality.
>|>

>Yes, even I associate "PC" with a personal computer.  However, "PC" *can*
>mean either one.  So "PC World" is either for all pc's or just IBM PC's.
>Which name do you think sounds better, PC World or IBM PC World?

1. PC World is dedicated to all PC's
2. PC World only talks about IBM and the clones, from 8088 to 486.
3. Therefore, all PC's are either the IBM or its clones!

If you say 1, then you will end up on 3.

In conclusion Mark Barret, the originator of this thread, does have a point
when he states that the computer industry is ignoring the Amiga.

The "Other machine", the MAC got a small piece of the computer pie because
of two reasons:

1. They were the first to sport a Graphic User Interface, not that they were
the inventors, but they were the first to make it available to the end user.

2. They had a large company (APPLE), with a large enough budget to launch a
fierce ADVERTISING campaign.  That original spot they got in the one of the
Superbowls literally had their sales department phones ringing off the hook!

-jc
---
labb-2ae@web.berkeley.edu

In article <1990Dec16.224728.19247@agate.berkeley.edu> labb-2ae@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (Joe C.) writes:
>In article <1990Dec15.215451.23153@rice.edu> jsd@boreal.rice.edu (Shawn Joel Dube) writes:
>>In article <49754@cornell.UUCP>, johnhlee@piccolo.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) writes:

>IBM may not have corrupted the name, but nowadays when people say PC, they
>usually mean an IBM PC, or more likely, an IBM PC clone.  [...]
>This is not the first time that a trademarked name has become a common
>everyday word; remember Xerox?  That trademarked name has become both a noun
>and a verb in today's society.  Why?  Because everyone was using Xerox's
>copying machine.

And they also used Band-Aids.

But with "PC", it's different.  Nobody covered their wounds with Band-Aids or
made Xeroxs before those products were introduced.  But people had computers
they called Personal Computers or PCs long before IBM came along with their
original clunker.

>1. PC World is dedicated to all PC's
>2. PC World only talks about IBM and the clones, from 8088 to 486.
>3. Therefore, all PC's are either the IBM or its clones!

Equally circular reasoning can lead you to believe that PC World is misnamed.
The real question is, does anyone really believe that the magazine covers all
computer systems?  I figured it out the first time I saw PC World, up there
on the newsstand with Macworld and Amiga World.  Now, if something called
Computer World or MicroWorld or Personal Computing or the like only covered
Clones, I would consider it misleading.  PC World, despite it's generic name,
wasn't, since based on IBM's use of the PC letters, no one would call their
rag PC World anymore unless they covered IBM and clones of IBM systems.

>In conclusion Mark Barret, the originator of this thread, does have a point
>when he states that the computer industry is ignoring the Amiga.

If a rag like PC World is equal to "the computer industry", then it can be
rightly said that the computer industry is not only ignoring the Amiga, but
Macs, Acorns (hey, VLSI claims to have sold over 150K ARM chips), all
workstations, minis, mainframes, supers, parallels, etc.

>labb-2ae@web.berkeley.edu

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu (12/24/90)

jsd@moray.rice.edu writes:

> Its true.  Most business people don't like chances and when a company
> has a game-machine reputation, chances are they arn't even going to
> look at that make.
>
> One last thing, I know several people w/ Amigas and I've never seen
> any of them running business-related applications, ie. word-pro.,
> spread-sheets, etc.

    I am an MBA student, and I use my Amiga occasionally for spreadsheets,
but I have to admit I am gradually moving my work over to Macintosh because
the software is a lot more powerful and looks much nicer when printed.  I
used to use Amiga WordPerfect, but after seeing Mac Microsoft Word I saw
there was no comparison.  Pro Write and all the rest are toys by comparison.
The reason for this is a catch-22: people buy the Amiga for the areas that it
is strong in (games, programming, video, etc.).  These people are often not
interested in application software power.  So why should software companies
write a powerful word processor for the Amiga when they know the market is
small?  Once a company writes a great word processor and a program like
Adobe Type Manager, I'll use my Amiga more for work and less for fun.
    If you were a businessman, would you buy an Amiga for your company (this
question is not directed solely at the person who posted the message)?  I
would like to say yes because the Amiga is my favorite machine, hands down,
but I know that, in all fairness, I wouldn't.  I would probably buy IBM clones
and a couple Macs.  No one hates IBM clones more than I do (it's only because
I use them and have come to hate them!), but they are familiar to many people
(less training) and most business people have clones at home on which they do
work.  Imagine filling the office with Amigas loaded with Amiga WordPerfect,
Maxiplan, and Superbase Pro.  The employees would hang you by your tie once
they found out that the work they do at home won't work on the computers in
the office.  Clones are the standard in business because business likes
standards.  There is some apt Murphy's Law about standards, but I can't recall
it.
    The Amiga is a great computer in many other areas, though, especially with
the new 3000UX.  There is a saying: You'll never get rich playing another
man's game.  This is very true, so the Amiga should be a "niche player," as
we business people say it.  Niche players can become rich players if they do
it right--look at Sun.  How many people people use Suns?  Yet Sun is a far
richer company than 99% of the clone manufacturers.  But I think many people
don't care how much money C= makes; they just want to see fields of Amigas
as far as the eye can see.  This is not possible, and C= knows it, so they
are pursuing their goals that lead to profit maximization (or at least they
are trying).  So maybe they aren't so dumb after all by leaving business
alone.

Note to all: I welcome comments, but TYPE flames >nil:.  I don't bother to
even read them.

Kurt Krueger | BITNET:   KKRUEGER@UNOMA1           |        //\
MBA student  | Internet: KKRUEGER@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU |      \X/--\ M I G A
  I always shop a week before X-mas for next year's X-mas to avoid the rush.