[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs <somebody> flame wars

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (12/15/90)

	Just a question to everybody who likes participating and starting
these wars - is it safe to come out from behind my kill file yet? I look at
the news, and say 'great - 100 new articles'. Then my kill file works, and
only about 30 are left after killing all the current flame wars.

	The basic question is - when can all interested readers have our group
back? The Amiga flamers seem to have hijacked it.

					Ian

Ian Rowlands                     | Uni : ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |   OR ..!uunet!munnari!mullian!ianr
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au
University of Melbourne          |   OR ..!uunet!munnari!gpark.pub.uu.oz.au!ianr

kkrueger@zeus.unomaha.edu (12/24/90)

In article <6277@munnari.oz.au>, ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:
> 	Just a question to everybody who likes participating and starting
> these wars - is it safe to come out from behind my kill file yet? I look at
> the news, and say 'great - 100 new articles'. Then my kill file works, and
> only about 30 are left after killing all the current flame wars.
>
> 	The basic question is - when can all interested readers have our group
> back? The Amiga flamers seem to have hijacked it.

    Ms. Manners (Judith Martin) says that there is a lack of politeness in our
society, and she is 100% correct.  If people would just stop to think "How
does my message make others feel?" the net would be a lot better place.
The thing is, most flamers don't have the courage to tell people what they
think in person, but the net is more impersonal and feedback is delayed, so
bravery comes at little cost.
    I heard one person claim recently that he was flamed for posting dull
messages.  I saw someone get flamed by a Ph.D. in chemistry for making a few
minor mistakes (harmless ones at that) in a procedure.  The Ph.D. got downright
personally insulting.
    The problem is, this newsgroup has a reputation for flamers among the
Usenet community as a whole, and what does that do for the Amiga's reputation?
I've seen a few jokes on other newsgroups about CSA-Atari flamewars.  It all
begins with each individual.  If I detect a flame to my messages or those of
someone else, I type NEXT at the NEWS> prompt without hesitation.  By doing
this, I'm not tempted to fire back because I don't even know much of what the
idiot said.

Kurt Krueger | BITNET:   KKRUEGER@UNOMA1           |        //\
MBA student  | Internet: KKRUEGER@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU |      \X/--\ M I G A
                              TYPE flames >null: