[comp.sys.amiga] UseNet FEED

jason@pnet01.cts.com (Jason Goldberg) (12/18/90)

I recently found a local source who is willing to give me a partial UseNet
feed at my home, but I don't really know anything about whats involved.  Is
all the software I need available (PD ?).  Will I be able to read newsgroups,
as well as recieve mail, can I post and send mail?  I'm assuming that I need
some kind of software to answer the phone and collect the feed, then some kind
of reader, etc... any pointer to specific packages or any advice would be
greatly appreicated.  I will gladly post a summary.  If it matters, here is
my hardware configuration:

A2500/030
100 MEGS HD
Hayes V.32 modem/dedicated phone line.

Thanks in advance,

-Jason-

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!jason
ARPA: crash!pnet01!jason@nosc.mil
INET: jason@pnet01.cts.com

jafo@miranda.UUCP (Sean Reifschneider) (12/24/90)

>In article <6384@crash.cts.com> jason@pnet01.cts.com (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>I recently found a local source who is willing to give me a partial UseNet
>feed at my home, but I don't really know anything about whats involved.  Is
>all the software I need available (PD ?).  Will I be able to read newsgroups,
>as well as recieve mail, can I post and send mail?  I'm assuming that I need
>some kind of software to answer the phone and collect the feed, then some kind
>of reader, etc... any pointer to specific packages or any advice would be
>greatly appreicated.  I will gladly post a summary.  If it matters, here is
>my hardware configuration:

I've got the same setup that you would want to have.  I got Matt Dillon's
version of UUCP (UNIX to UNIX copy), and currently have a 5MB partition
that holds the spool/news/mail directory, and a couple of 30MB paritions.
You should be able to get DUUCP from a FTP site.  This comes with the basic
UUCP setup, news, mail, and cron.  Matt said that he was going to be releasing
the new version of DUUCP sometime around December.  You might see it on
comp.binaries.amiga.

Or you could buy a 3000UX.  ;-)

Sean
--
From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

uunet.uu.net!ccncsu.colostate.edu!ncuug!miranda!jafo