[comp.sys.amiga] UUCP at 9600

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/18/90)

(this is sort of a repost, since my article of four days ago
generated nil response)

In article <jafo.3996@miranda.UUCP>, Sean Reifschneider writes:

> Sean
> --
> From the desk of Sean Reifschneider.  Isn't Amiga UUCP great?  Thanks Matt.

Amiga UUCP *is* pretty neat.

I'm fishing for an answer to my problems encountered when using
it though: I have a V32 (9600bps) modem, and it works fine
talking to anyone at V32. Unfortunately UUCICO doesn't seem to be
hacking the pace when I talk to my UNIX host at 9600bps.

At 2400bps things are fine.

At 9600bps, I get one, perhaps two, packets of mail (50K or so
each), and then UUCICO gives up the ghost and calls Rmail to
unpack the received packets.  I have a 30Mhz 68030 so I wouldn't
have thought processor speed was a problem.

I purchased the ASDG dual serial card yesterday, and configured
UUCICO to talk through that device. I STILL get the same
problems. If I do anything at all whilst the transfer is going on
(go to my editor, put a disk in the disk drive, do a LIST of
UUSPOOL :-), then UUCICO gets out of sync with my host, and
ceases to try and talk. This also happens spontaneously (like at
the end of a packet, when it's writing the information to HD)

I thought that ASDG board would solve my problems, but it hasn't.

Next on my list is to have UUSPOOL: in RAM: instead of on HD
(I've got about 7MB of ram available out of my 9Mb installed, so
I should be ok there). I'm wary of this solution, because losing
a session due to power outage would be traumatic.

* Does ANYONE else have problems running UUCICO at 9600bps!*

Since I can't use MAIL, replies via this newsgroup would be
appreciated.

Oh, and whilst I'm posting: Thanks to Roland Bless for ARN, which
is a neat newsreader.

Dac
   _l _  _  Andrew Clayton.      I post .       ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!Uprolix!dac
  (_](_l(_  Canberra. Australia.       . . I am.

Note: I cannot send or recieve MAIL to sites outside of Australia. Sorry.

jason@pnet12.rfengr.com (Jason Goldberg) (12/21/90)

>In article <jafo.3996@miranda.UUCP>, Sean Reifschneider writes:

>* Does ANYONE else have problems running UUCICO at 9600bps!*

Please summerize the anwers to this question as I am trying to run UUCP 1.6d
on almost the exact same configuration (A2500/30, v.32 9600 modem), and I
havent gotten that far yet, so I want to know if this is the next hurdle I
will have to climb.

Are there any UUCP wizards out there that can help me out with the probelm I
am having with UUCP1.06d?  I have installed it all on my machine as per the
docs (at least I think...), but I don't have anyone to test with so I had to
be as carefull as I can and go straight for the UNIX feed.

Everything seems to work, if I send mail it puts three spool files in the
spool, if send mail to my username (without a site) it puts it in my mailbox
and I can read it, etc...  If I run UUCICO to poll the site it calls and
successfully logs in, sends some characters back and forth and logs out.  The
spoool/logfile would get any entry like this:

(12/20-09:36:42) uucico,sereneslow,- DIALED sereneslow
(12/20-09:36:47) uucico,sereneslow,- SUCCEEDED call to sereneslow

but all my outgoing mail files are still in my spool and never end up at their
destination, and the administrator at my feed assures me that there is mail
and news waiting for me.  Nothing has ever shown up (mail or news) from any
machine other than mine.

I called the machine manually to make sure the login was all correct, entered
my login and password and I get the "Shere=serene" (serene" is the node name
that is feeding me), which is whats supposed to happen (I think).

What could I be doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of is maybee I have a
probelm with the security file.  There was no example lib/security file in my
distribution so I used the one from the man page, and it now looks like this:

#   This file is used by UUCICO to determine the validity of requests.
#
#   The directories listed here are *allowed* directories for uucp
#   transfers.	The permissions field lists permissions
#		    r	-readable
#		    w	-writable

tmp:	    rw
uucp:c	    r
uucp:man    r
UUPUBW:	    rw
UUPUB:      r
UUCP:lib    rw
UUCP:s      rw
UUCP:mail   rw
UUCP:News   rw

# If you have a UUPUBW: assign that is *different* from UUPUB: then
# you might want to make UUPUB: readable only and UUPUBW: read-write.

Am I missing something that could be preventing proper transfers, or could I
have a problem somewhere else that I havent though of?  Any help would be
GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks very much,

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!pnet12!jason
Del Mar, CA				INET: jason@pnet12.rfengr.com

rmm20@ccc.amdahl.com (Robert Mitchell) (12/22/90)

In article <18626106.ARN00479@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au> ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!Uprolix!Dac writes:
>(this is sort of a repost, since my article of four days ago
>generated nil response)

>* Does ANYONE else have problems running UUCICO at 9600bps!*

I can only speak for myself; I regularly run UUCICO (1.06D)
at 9600 Baud (NEC V.32) MNF, which is effectively about 19.2KB,
to the same type modem on a PC running Waffle.
Last night I copied one 40meg HD partition to a second partition on the
same drive while running UUCICO and downloading  a news feed
to a different drive.  This ran for about ten minutes,
and never dropped a bit.  I do have a 2630, but perfmon
showed it effectively IDLE for the entire time.
My spool file is on a hard disk, not ram.
Everything is I/O bound.
I did not try it with a few compiles running, however...

 - Robert Mitchell--
UUCP:  rmm20@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
DDD:   408-746-8491
USPS:  Amdahl Corp.  M/S 205,  1250 E. Arques Av,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086
BIX:   bobmitchell

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.182831.21263@rfengr.com>, Jason Goldberg writes:

> >In article <jafo.3996@miranda.UUCP>, Sean Reifschneider writes:
> >

> >************************************************************
> >* Does ANYONE else have problems running UUCICO at 9600bps!*
> >************************************************************
> >

> Please summerize the anwers to this question as I am trying to run UUCP 1.6d
> on almost the exact same configuration (A2500/30, v.32 9600 modem), and I
> havent gotten that far yet, so I want to know if this is the next hurdle I
> will have to climb.

(That problem line looks exactly like my problem line, pity I got
no answers.)

I found that assigning UUSPOOL to RAM: worked brilliantly. I'm
getting a new 230Mb SCSI hard drive next week (unless Christmas
slows delivery down, and will attempt to put UUSPOOL: back then,
since SCSI is so much quicker than the ST506 (2090A) controlled
HD's I use at the moment.

> (12/20-09:36:42) uucico,sereneslow,- DIALED sereneslow
> (12/20-09:36:47) uucico,sereneslow,- SUCCEEDED call to sereneslow
>
> but all my outgoing mail files are still in my spool and never end up at their
> destination, and the administrator at my feed assures me that there is mail
> and news waiting for me.  Nothing has ever shown up (mail or news) from any
> machine other than mine.

Here is an extract from my log for tonight:

(12/23-00:17:47) uucico,AmigaUUCP,- Startup V1.06D
(12/23-00:18:20) uucico,ccadfa,- DIALED ccadfa
(12/23-00:18:28) uucico,ccadfa,- SUCCEEDED call to ccadfa
(12/23-00:18:33) uucico,ccadfa,- OK Startup
(12/23-00:18:33) uucico,ccadfa,root REQUESTED S D.ccadfaBWSz2 D.ccadfaSWSz2 root - D.ccadfaBWSz2 0666
(12/23-00:19:19) uucico,ccadfa,root COPY SUCCEEDED
  [sixteen or so other file copies deleted]
(12/23-00:28:01) uucico,ccadfa,- OK Conversation complete

The last line (Conversation complete) is tres important. If you
aren't getting that, then UUCICO is giving up.

I would suggest turning on UUCICO's *local* debug (-X9) and
REDIRECTING output to a file, so you can look and see what
is happening. I found that I was giving it the wrong site name
(Node name # login name, yet config files said they were - my
fault entirely).

UUCICO doesn't give you much in the way of error info UNLESS you
tell it to.

Does your connection work at 2400?

In article <281u02SX04aa01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, Robert Mitchell writes:

> In article <18626106.ARN00479@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au>
> ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!Uprolix!Dac writes:

> >************************************************************
> >* Does ANYONE else have problems running UUCICO at 9600bps!*
> >************************************************************

> I can only speak for myself; I regularly run UUCICO (1.06D)
> at 9600 Baud (NEC V.32) MNF, which is effectively about 19.2KB,
> to the same type modem on a PC running Waffle.

First, thankyou for the reply: I found out that outgoing news was
being bit bucketted until last Monday, and was wondering if my
mail got out. It's nice to get responses occasionally.

On with the problem.

I'm talking to a Pyramid Un*x box. I know someone else who had
problems with a small machine being 'overloaded' by the transfer
rate that ccadfa uses.

Ever since moving spool to Ram: I haven't had a problem (some
out of sequence packets like this:

Received sequence 7, expected 5
Received sequence 0, expected 5
Received sequence 1, expected 5
Received sequence 2, expected 5
Received sequence 3, expected 5

but no lost sessions).

> Last night I copied one 40meg HD partition to a second partition on the
> same drive while running UUCICO and downloading  a news feed
> to a different drive.

Fair enough. :-(. I put a floppy in DF0: and I lost the
connection to my host (at 9600) instantly. :-( :-( :-(.

> and never dropped a bit.  I do have a 2630, but perfmon
> showed it effectively IDLE for the entire time.

I only have a few essentials running: A dormant CED, popcli IV,
mymenu, and popupmenu. Normally PerfMon shows no significant
usage of the machine.

> My spool file is on a hard disk, not ram.
> Everything is I/O bound.

Perhaps my 2090a controller is having problems with the GVP
A3001. I have data and instruction caches turned on, and BURST
mode enabled for the instruction cache - when I enable BURST mode
for the data cache, my HD suddenly gets LOTS of read/write
errors, so I normally leave it off.

> I did not try it with a few compiles running, however...

:-). Extremes are so much fun, eh!

Again, thankyou for your reply.

>  - Robert Mitchell--

   _l _  _  Andrew Clayton.      I post .       ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!Uprolix!dac
  (_](_l(_  Canberra. Australia.       . . I am.

Note: I cannot send or recieve MAIL to sites outside of Australia. Sorry.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (12/23/90)

I'm having some difficulty posting netnews.  Everything else works just fine
such as mail, newsfeeds to my system and the forwarding of feeds to other
systems.  However, I can't seem to get my posts to go anywhere.  They
immediately show up on my machine but I have yet to see the news go off to
another site.  I posted and then looked at my UUSPOOL: directory and nada.

Is there a config entry I have to worry about or what?  I am currently using
Dnews and AmigaUUCP 1.06Db (beta batchnews).

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (12/24/90)

In article <6492@crash.cts.com>, Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin writes:

> I'm having some difficulty posting netnews.  Everything else works just fine
> such as mail, newsfeeds to my system and the forwarding of feeds to other
> systems.  However, I can't seem to get my posts to go anywhere.

:-(. I'm a neophyte at this stuff myself. I use ARN, which places
three files into UUSpool: for each message that I create:

C.<site>A<seq>      which is 110 bytes long, and contains UUCP commands?
D.<site>B<seq>      which is the message text
D.<site>X<seq>      which is 46 bytes long, and contains more commands

(<site> is the name of the site, and <seq> is some arbitrary
sequence number)

I'm not sure what they mean, since the doco for AmigaUUCP doesn't
cover it. All I know is that they 'magically' go to the site,
when I use UUCICO.

> Is there a config entry I have to worry about or what?  I am currently using
> Dnews and AmigaUUCP 1.06Db (beta batchnews).

I don't think so. Prolly something to do with Dnews.

--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac                     . .  I am.

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (12/25/90)

jason@pnet12.rfengr.com (Jason Goldberg) writes:

>Everything seems to work, if I send mail it puts three spool files in the
>spool, if send mail to my username (without a site) it puts it in my mailbox
>and I can read it, etc...  If I run UUCICO to poll the site it calls and
>successfully logs in, sends some characters back and forth and logs out.  The
>spoool/logfile would get any entry like this:

>(12/20-09:36:42) uucico,sereneslow,- DIALED sereneslow
>(12/20-09:36:47) uucico,sereneslow,- SUCCEEDED call to sereneslow

>but all my outgoing mail files are still in my spool and never end up at their
>destination, and the administrator at my feed assures me that there is mail
>and news waiting for me.  Nothing has ever shown up (mail or news) from any
>machine other than mine.

It looks like you're calling sereneslow in slave mode.  I think your problems
will go away in you put UUCICO into master mode.  Try doing a:

uucico -r1 -ssereneslow

If you're using a V.32 modem (or slower), and your DTE <-> DCE speed is 9600
baud or higher, make sure your modem is set up for hardware (RTS/CTS ) flow
control, and use this line to call up sereneslow:

uucico -r1 -ssereneslow -7

>I called the machine manually to make sure the login was all correct, entered
>my login and password and I get the "Shere=serene" (serene" is the node name
>that is feeding me), which is whats supposed to happen (I think).

Yes.  "Shere" means "system here", I think.  It's just serene identifying
itself.

>What could I be doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of is maybee I have a
>probelm with the security file.  There was no example lib/security file in my
>distribution so I used the one from the man page, and it now looks like this:

>#   This file is used by UUCICO to determine the validity of requests.
>#
>#   The directories listed here are *allowed* directories for uucp
>#   transfers.	The permissions field lists permissions
>#		    r	-readable
>#		    w	-writable

>tmp:	    rw
>uucp:c	    r
>uucp:man    r
>UUPUBW:	    rw
>UUPUB:      r
>UUCP:lib    rw
>UUCP:s      rw
>UUCP:mail   rw
>UUCP:News   rw

looks ok to me.

BTW, I'm running AmigaUUCP 1.06d on my A500 w/ Telebit T2500 in PEP mode
with a DTE <-> DCE speed of 19.2Kbaud.  It's always worked for me.

C'ya,
Jim
--
UUCP:  ...!rutgers!faatcrl!jimb              Internet:  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP