[comp.sys.amiga] Toaster Notes or A Little bit of Self-Serving Name Dropping

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/22/90)

["I found that wearing women's clothes relaxes me"-Dennis/Denise]

Believe it or not Penn and Teller do not have a toaster yet.
I was talking to Penn a couple of weeks ago [Name Drop alert]
when he came to our lab (one of the guys in the lab is a friend
of his). He told me that since he and Teller are on the road
right now they don't have time to use their machine  so with
the demand so high and supply so low, they refused to take one
until they're back home.

I know that on the usefulness scale from 0 to 10 this rates about .13
but it's late and I felt like posting something.

Actually I just wanted to use that goofy Twin Peaks quote above
for line-eater fodder.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (12/24/90)

I thought the Penn & Teller video prduced by NewTek was perhaps the most
clever/creative
..certainly the funniest..piece of programming I've seen produce via an
Amiga.  It was kind of a Silicon Valley version (I know..newtek's in Kansas)
of the old Saturday Night Live: Lenord Pinth Garnall's  B A D  Playhouse
"ah yes..extraordinarily bad, my what, really bit the big one..wouldn't
you say."  Only here it was B A D  Home Rock Video.  Complete with
every digital processing cliche ever done and the use of the tackiest
most color-saturated effects a teenager in the most remote boonies
might choose to use.  But at the same time it showed off the Toaster's
fire-power.  Good going NewTek!

     I imagine Paul Montgomary had a lot to do with getting the P&T thing
set up.  Since I first talked with him in '86 (back when he was at EA)
he seemed intent on positioning the Amiga as truly the computer "for
the rest of us"..trying to communicate to people without an engineering
degree just *why* the Amiga is so damn cool.  Which reminds me of other
NewTek strategies..like "Cool Friends of NewTek" promotion..and how they
have all those cute personable females at their boothes..it all seems to
say "NO the computer is NOT just for the NERD anymore!".

The other things I loved produced around the Amiga were the ads C= had
produced by LucasFilm.  But I imagine those cost quite a bit more to
produce than the NewTek P&T.

Anyhow I certainly don't feel put over that Penn & Teller aren't spending
their Christmas with the Toaster.  I hope they just keep focusing on
comedy and call NewTek the next time they want to show the lighter side
of the "technology revolution".

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/25/90)

So Penn & Teller actually own an Amiga, eh?

The next time you talk to Penn, ask him about his collumn in PC/Computing
where he hasn't once mentioned the Amiga (or the Toaster) at all.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |