[comp.sys.amiga] The Dream Machine

cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) (12/24/90)

I agree with the general consensus that there should be a new "Under $1k"
amiga system.  Here's my general $0.02 worth of I/O:

 The Amiga 600

 "Brick" construction, detachable keyboard, Unit would be in a mini-
 tower format, with allowance for 2 Zorro II and 1 Video/Ultility slot(s).
 The ECS would come standard, and the machine would be equipted with
 the full 2Mb of CHIP ram. (No fast ram, since the A500 doesn't really
 have any "true" fast-ram till you get over 1mb anyway this isn't too
 much of a design trade-off.)  Power supply could stay external but
 should be better constructed (heh heh.)  Possibly a "standard" A500
 card-edge could be included to enable a clean upgrade path.  A standard
 drive should be included, as well as at least 40Mb of HD space.  Processing
 power can consist of either a 16Mhz 68000 or a 68020 (design considerations
 again)  The idea of a co-processor space on the motherboard should be
 considered also.

 Nothing earth shattering here, but I do belive this system would sell
 VERY well if A) Marketed properly, and B) Cost kept down.  A small brick
 lends itself very nicely to tight desks, and is a really NEAT construction.

 Comments are welcome, Flames go to NIL:

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/

ifarqhar@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (12/25/90)

In article <9012220312.AA02430@czaeap.UUCP> ames!claris!portal!czaeap!cpc@sharkey.uucp (Chris Cebelenski) writes:
> The Amiga 600

Amiga 1000 Classic?  Er, sorry.... :-)

> "Brick" construction, detachable keyboard, Unit would be in a mini-
> tower format, with allowance for 2 Zorro II and 1 Video/Ultility slot(s).

Good idea, all machines should have at least one expansion and one video
slot.  I am not sure, though, that a tower case is a good idea.  I would
rather see a slimline box, slightly wider than the keyboard (which
should of the original A1000 keyboard), with a keyboard garage.
Personally, I think that the current A2000 is too deep: put a keyboard
in front of it and it does not fit on my desk.

> The ECS would come standard, and the machine would be equipted with
> the full 2Mb of CHIP ram.

Well, I would say to give it 1M and let them expand it to 2M as happens
in the A3000.  However, there should be SIMM sockets *internally* to
take it to 10M!  These use a bit of board space, add a little more cost
to the power supply and the sockets, however they save the user a
fortune.

> Power supply could stay external but should be better constructed (heh heh.)

Never!  Internal power supplies.

A suggestion: this is not going to be a portable machine, so why not
drop the switch mode power-supply?

> A standard drive should be included, as well as at least 40Mb of HD space.

How about just having an empty bay and the SCSI interface on-board?  Or
even just put the support circuitry and chip sockets, so that the user
can pay to have the active (expensive) part added when they buy the HD.

A query (no flames please).  As SCSI is rather expensive, what about
ST-506?  Yes, a horrible standard, but cheap.

> Processing power can consist
> of either a 16Mhz 68000 or a 68020 (design considerations
> again)  The idea of a co-processor space on the motherboard should be
> considered also.

I think that the 68000 is getting venerable, however is the 68020 an
afforable option for any low-end machine?  Co-processor is a good idea,
as would a space for the PMMU.

> Nothing earth shattering here, but I do belive this system would sell
> VERY well if A) Marketed properly,

Excuse my hysterical laughter....

> and B) Cost kept down.  A small brick
> lends itself very nicely to tight desks, and is a really NEAT construction.

This is a good point.  The reason I really liked my original A1000 was
that it had some beautiful design features: the keyboard garage, a
beuatiful keyboard, much more aesthetic design.  Personally, I think
that the A2000 is hideous: badly designed and ugly.  The A3000 is
better, but only slightly.

The Amiga is a computer for imagination.  Now that CBM has addressed the
problem of the ugly software interface, now it might consider improving
the look of the hardware interface.

Standard disclaimers apply (though their presence does make me wonder if
it is not time for a laywer cull :-)

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433