[comp.sys.amiga] Adding RAM to an Amiga 2000. What board?

owen@koozee.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) (12/21/90)

I'm in the market for RAM expansion for my Amiga 2000.  I'm taking up one of
the slots with A GVP scsi controller with 1/1 Meg of memory on it.  Taking up
another slot with a ram card really wouldn't bother me to much, so I'm not too
bent on getting a scsi controller with 0/8 Meg ram on it. (like GVP series II)

Here are my options: (Prices from Safeharbor catalog... )

8 Up! Board	2/8 Meg	$239
AdRAM 2080	2/8 Meg	$235
SupraRAM	2/8 Meg	$209

GVP scsi/ram
impact series
II		0/8 Meg	$220

My questions are this:
-	Do any of you recommend/not recommend any of these?  Why?
-	How much money (and what kind of chips) is needed to add more ram?
-	Is the included testing software any good? (is there any software?)
- 	Does hardware need to be set to test? (I had to switch a jumper to test
	the supraram that I had in a supra scsi controller for the 500)
-	Does the GVP controller have space to bolt on the hardrive (freeing up
	a drive slot), and how much would it be to add 2 Meg to it. (giving me
	3 total Meg instead of 4)

Please e-mail responses to:  owen@koozee.enet.dec.com.

Thanks,
Steve

_____ ///______________________________________________________________________
|    /// Only Amiga makes it possible!    | Music: Anything but slop 40       |
|\\\///  Macintosh: pseudo productivity   | Beer: Sam Adams Boston Lager      |
| \XX/   OS/2: half an operating system   | Major: Mechanical Engineering     |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
|Steve | owen@euclid.enet.dec.com(Now-Dec)| "Cool your jets man!"-Bart takes  |
|Owen  | sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu(Jan+)|  Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics |
-------------------------All normal disclaimers apply--------------------------

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (12/26/90)

owen@koozee.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:

>I'm in the market for RAM expansion for my Amiga 2000.  I'm taking up one of
>the slots with A GVP scsi controller with 1/1 Meg of memory on it.  Taking up

[ etc., etc. etc.]

>My questions are this:
>-	Do any of you recommend/not recommend any of these?  Why?
>-	How much money (and what kind of chips) is needed to add more ram?
>-	Is the included testing software any good? (is there any software?)
>- 	Does hardware need to be set to test? (I had to switch a jumper to test
>	the supraram that I had in a supra scsi controller for the 500)
>-	Does the GVP controller have space to bolt on the hardrive (freeing up
>	a drive slot), and how much would it be to add 2 Meg to it. (giving me
>	3 total Meg instead of 4)

I just recently upgraded my GVP controller to the new Series II. One advantage
is their upgrade policy which would let you upgrade your hard drive controller
board for about half of purchase of a new one (and I believe they *WILL*
accept the 2090 board). The cost for upgrade would be $109 for board + $39 for
the RAM option version  = total of $144 to upgrade.

Check the advertising in Amiga World for 100 % accuracy on prices and upgrade
policy.

Anyway, I would *HIGHLY* recommend the GVP board...their reputation for high
quality hardware is well known. I've never had a problem with the board
(although the hard drive itself died a pre-mature death - not their fault) and
their technical support is excellent.

The install software is very complete...you can use their FaastPrep (that's
the way they spell it) to update the Rigid Disk Block (RDB) information
without having to reformat your disk...get's you going real quick. It also
supports full low-level reformating, bad-block remapping and other items that
would be put in a devs/MountList area (but because it uses the RDB, no
MountList entry is needed!).

Software for setting up an IBM BridgeBoard and testing RAM is also included.

The 0/8 board allows installation of up to 8 meg of RAM using SIMMs (which are
*far* easier to handle than RAM chips). The SIMMs need to be 1 meg x 8 (or 9)
with maximum of 100 nanosecond access time (faster ones also will work). You
also need to set a few jumpers to tell how much memory you have. There's also
jumpers for whether or not the hard disk (which *CAN* be mounted on the card)
should be the boot drive. Also, a place for the LED wires from the hard disk
light on the A2000).

All in all, this is an excellent way to have RAM and a hard drive while using
only one slot.

I hope this helps...please feel free to ask any questions if I've not made
myself clear on anything.

Larry Greenwald

>Please e-mail responses to:  owen@koozee.enet.dec.com.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve
>
>|---------------------------------------------------------------------------- |
>|Steve | owen@euclid.enet.dec.com(Now-Dec)| "Cool your jets man!"-Bart takes  |
>|Owen  | sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu(Jan+)|  Heat Transfer and Fluid Dynamics |

P.S. [sorry to waste extra bandwidth, posting just in case letter gets bounced
via my E-mail response]

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
"I'm looking over a three-leaf clover that I overlooked be-three!"  -Bugs Bunny