[comp.sys.amiga] XWindows

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (06/10/87)

Howdy,

Does anybody have a copy of the Xwindows source code for the amiga?  I am
looking for the software necessary for my amiga to connect to a mainframe
via modem using xwindows.  I already have access to the source for a
terminal emulator.  Thanks in advance,

--
Michael S. Leibow
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!msl5864

miner@hawk.CS.ULowell.Edu (Rich Miner) (06/18/87)

In article <492@ritcv.UUCP> msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
>Does anybody have a copy of the Xwindows source code for the amiga?
A port of X10.4 never made it to the Amiga, that I know of.  Since X11 will
become the most popular version it would seem that this is the version to
use, when it is available.  We have an alpha version of X11 and have been
doing a port to the Apollo.   We are thinking about a port to the Amiga and
I have been sharing information with a group out West that is also looking
into an Amiga port.  I had hoped for a showing of it at SIGGRAPH though that
does not seem possible at this point.

Rich Miner  ULowell-Cntr for Productivity  !ulowell!miner  617-452-5000x2693

rbrown@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Brown) (03/21/88)

This is the first time I've ever written to the net, but here goes...

This may be a naive question, but is there a terminal program for the
Amiga which supports X Windows?  I just bought my Amiga A2000 today and
have only seen the reviews in Amiga World.

The main reason I would like to have such a beast is that I hack on Sun
Workstations at work and it would be *real nice* to work on the graphic
programs from the comfort of my bed.  (Talk about tele-commuting!)

Robert

>This is the first time I've ever written to the net, but here goes...
>
>This may be a naive question, but is there a terminal program for the
>Amiga which supports X Windows?  I just bought my Amiga A2000 today and
>have only seen the reviews in Amiga World.
>
>The main reason I would like to have such a beast is that I hack on Sun
>Workstations at work and it would be *real nice* to work on the graphic
>programs from the comfort of my bed.  (Talk about tele-commuting!)
>
>Robert

	I think you are somewhat confused as to the complexity of X.
Even if you can get it running over a modem (btw, this is quite possible)
the response time would be incredibly bad considering the amount of
information that would have to be sent.  Even at 9600 bps it would be
unacceptable.

	X itself is huge and complex... not something you find in everyday
terminal programs.  I believe there is an X port in the works at Commodore.

				-Matt

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (03/25/88)

In article (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	X itself is huge and complex... not something you find in everyday
>terminal programs.  I believe there is an X port in the works at Commodore.
>
>				-Matt

You are quite right, Matt. X is complex but not anymore complex than
all this networking jazz I just learned over the last 6 months getting X
running on the amiga. There is still alot of graphics work I need to do
to get the performance up to my level of expectation.

I do need to clarify one point though. Commodore is not working on X.
It is being done by an independant organization and at this time is
not planned on being part of any system software from Commodore.

Dale Luck

rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (03/28/88)

Topic: amiga, Entry # 10754
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: X Windows
Date: 21 Mar 88 00:57:35 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
To: amiga@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <23363@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> rbrown@ernie.Berkeley.EDU
(Robert Brown) writes:

>This may be a naive question, but is there a terminal program for the
>Amiga which supports X Windows?  I just bought my Amiga A2000 today and
>have only seen the reviews in Amiga World.
>
>The main reason I would like to have such a beast is that I hack on Sun
>Workstations at work and it would be *real nice* to work on the graphic
>programs from the comfort of my bed.  (Talk about tele-commuting!)

I'm not sure you'd really want to run X Windows over a modem (slooow), but...

Dale Luck (the creator of the graphics.library for you newcomers) is currently
working on an X Windows port.  It is his own project, not related at all to
Commodore.  I saw a back-room demo of it at NCGA last week.  It was running
on Hedley's 1008X800 monitor.  It currently consists of only the X Windows
server, and only in monochrome for Hedley's monitor, but he's working on
the X library and support for other resolutions.  He said he first wants to
support every network imaginable, and then support the frame buffers that are
(hopefully) coming out soon.  Actually, he said it would be easier to write
an X driver for a frame buffer than it would to make the Amiga graphics.library
work on a frame buffer (but both are in the works...)

He didn't have a release date, but it's still several months off.

Oh, BTW, it was X version 11, and, of course, multitasks well.

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but he didn't say to keep it
quiet.........   :-)

Bob Deen  @  NASA-JPL Multimission Image Processing Lab
rgd059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov		span:  mipl3::rgd059

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (01/16/89)

Can anyone tell me where I can find X-Windows implementation(s) for the
Amiga? I have heard that Dale Luck has same but I don't know how to
contact him (phone number anyone?). Thanks for any pointers.

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (12/26/90)

Hello all...

 I recall a while ago, someone posted that there was a version of
 a XWindows library available from Mit... does anyone have any
 information on this?

Thanks in advance...

Ernest J. Gainey III   Home: ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us        //\\
 The Amiga Aquarium  School:  gainey03@snybufva.bitnet          //==\\
  +1 716 999-9999    Snail :61 Tarkington,Tonawanda,NY 14150 \\//    \\miga!

anlhille@rose.ucs.indiana.edu (Joseph Hillenburg) (12/26/90)

In article <186b93ce.ARN01f2@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us>, ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes...
|Hello all...
|
| I recall a while ago, someone posted that there was a version of
| a XWindows library available from Mit... does anyone have any
| information on this?

Yeah, but it's for UNIX. Just pick up Amiga X-Windows from Boing!/GfxBase.

|Thanks in advance...

Don't mention it.

|Ernest J. Gainey III   Home: ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us        //\\

| -jph		     IMHO: The "H" means "honest!"                          |
| INET: anlhille@ucs.indiana.edu	  UUCP: iuvax!prism.decnet!anlhille |
| BITNET: anlhille@iurose.bitnet	  DECNET: PRISM::ANLHILLE           |