[comp.sys.amiga] Toaster all overs all over!

Viet.Ho@samba (Viet Ho) (12/21/90)

[note this is a postnews test]  Might as well
ask...

Hey, the Video Toaster is all over the place.
Here in L.A., a friend of mine just picked
one up for $1450 at Centuries Computers [she's
just a mom who wanted to make videos for her son]
and today, I saw an ad in the Recycler advertitzing
a used toaster for $1300!!   Geez, Newtek must
be really on the ball when they release things.

-Viet

cullip@pooh.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (12/21/90)

I'm sorry, I can't resist the temptation:

In article <2018@beguine.UUCP> Viet.Ho@samba (Viet Ho) writes:

>Hey, the Video Toaster is all over the place.

(stuff deleted)

>Geez, Newtek must
>be really on the ball when they release things.

Yeah, anyone can be this prepared,all it takes is releasing
the product umpteen years past its original release date.

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A. Gaspar) (12/23/90)

In article <18209@thorin.cs.unc.edu> cullip@pooh.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) writes:
>I'm sorry, I can't resist the temptation:
>
>In article <2018@beguine.UUCP> Viet.Ho@samba (Viet Ho) writes:
>>
>>Hey, the Video Toaster is all over the place.
>
>(stuff deleted)
>
>>Geez, Newtek must
>>be really on the ball when they release things.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Yeah, anyone can be this prepared,all it takes is releasing
>the product umpteen years past its original release date.
>
>   Tim Cullip
>   cullip@cs.unc.edu

Hey, get your facts straight.  NewTek released the Toaster a couple of
months late, not a couple of years.  It was _leaked_ a couple of years
ago, but was only _officially_ announced fairly recently.  NewTek
can't help what other people say.  Many of us remember the "Laser
Toaster" joke that NewTek circulated as a cover story for any leaks.
Don't say bad things that have no basis in fact about a company that's
done so much for the amiga.

carson@close.cs.columbia.edu (preferred)        | Carson Gaspar
cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwards to above) | BIX: cgaspar

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec22.203552.25888@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A. Gaspar) writes:
>>Yeah, anyone can be this prepared,all it takes is releasing
>>the product umpteen years past its original release date.

>Hey, get your facts straight.  NewTek released the Toaster a couple of
>months late, not a couple of years.  It was _leaked_ a couple of years
>ago, but was only _officially_ announced fairly recently.

Not so.  It was officially announced recently that it was SHIPPING,
but NewTek has been showing prototype Toasters at trade shows since
early 1988.  In fact, they showed it on Computer Chronicles around
February '88, stating that it would be $795, and would be shipping
in a month.  That was from the lips of Tim Jennison, it doesn't get
much more official than that.

>  NewTek
>can't help what other people say.  Many of us remember the "Laser
>Toaster" joke that NewTek circulated as a cover story for any leaks.

That was started in '87.  There was also talk about the Jelly-Jet printer.

>Don't say bad things that have no basis in fact about a company that's
>done so much for the amiga.

We're all glad that the Toaster is available, and quite a lot more of
a product than it was originally going to be, but the pre-hype and
release delay has gone into Amiga history, and even surpassed such
luminaries as Amiga Live, and Return To Atlantis!

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (12/27/90)

Ken, let's also not forget "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |