[comp.sys.amiga] Assumption

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (12/18/90)

I'm writing a program that puts up a device requester, and as a default
return, I'd like to assume DF0.  It's not wrong to assume that all amigas
have a DF0 is it?  I can't imagine a system without one, and can't
envision one in the future (maybe a diskless workstation, but you
wouldn't run this software then....).  Is it bad practice to assume that
the system will have drive DF0?

Thanks in advance...

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/20/90)

It's bad to assume anything.  Why do you need to assume it anyways?
If it's one of those things that will bring up a requester for "put
a disk in df0:" or "Wrong disk?" then don't do it.  That's annoying.
Rob

stoller@cbmcel.UUCP (Martin S. Stoller) (12/28/90)

In article <1021.2770572B@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>I'm writing a program that puts up a device requester, and as a default
>return, I'd like to assume DF0.  It's not wrong to assume that all amigas
>have a DF0 is it?  I can't imagine a system without one, and can't
>envision one in the future (maybe a diskless workstation, but you
>wouldn't run this software then....).  Is it bad practice to assume that
>the system will have drive DF0?
As a matter of fact... My A2500 DOES NOT HAVE A DF0:!!!  I would hate seeing
a piece of software (as a matter of fact, I have encountered several) which
make the hasty assumption, that my first drive is DF0:.  The fact is, I had
the cables twisted around, while installing my HD, and have not bothered to
correct the mistake.  My 19Kg Eizo Monitor is sitting on the case, and I am
just too lazy to slug that thing across my room to the bed.  (Stupid excuse, but
that is irrevelent).  I have even seen software which think I have a DH0:.

So:  Do not even assume the fellow using the software has a maus, Keyboard, or
monitor, if you want to be on the safe side!

(Sorry for irony, above. :^)

--

   Regards,
   UUCP: [{(uunet|pyramid|rutgers)!cbmvax}!cbmehq!cbmcel!stoller