[comp.sys.amiga] Task priorities

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.000727.24394@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Probably so; aging cpu bound processes to get lower priorities and i/o
>bound ones to get higher priorities, and old processes to get higher
>priorities is a fairly common refinement for multiple user multi-tasking
>OSs.
>
>However, I would absolutely _hate_ priority aging on the Amiga, or any
>single user machine, except perhaps as an option I have to specifically
>_en_able.  When I up the priority of my terminal session, since it is
>almost 80% of the big chunks of time either waiting for keystrokes, or
>waiting for new text from the host site to show up for the screen, my
>extra three priority "points" have little effect; other processes get
>almost all the cpu cycles.

There is a way to satisfy everyone, and I've seen it implemented in
several places.

I've used a system called TSX Plus from S&H.  It has a priority range
from 1 to 99, where 99 is highest.  However, these priorities are
separated into three classes: 1-19 is the "background" class, where
any runnable task higher than 20 superceeds one, and they are aged so
all of them get some background cycles; 20-49 is "normal" class, where
again aging takes place to give all tasks some cycles; 50-99 is "real
time", where no aging takes place, and the highest priority runnable
task superceeds all lower priority tasks.  VMS implements the "real
time" priority class as well, and I believe OS/2 has all three classes
though the background class may behave differently.  I also
believe that OS9-68K implements a real time class, but I don't have a
reference to back that up, and I recall OS9-6809 didn't.

In any case, this gives you what you want when you want it.  I would
like to see some priority balancing within the Exec, not at the
expense of strict priorities but as a supplement.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /