[comp.sys.amiga] Impressions of Gfxbase/Boing X11 wanted

emcalc@sugar.hackercorp.com (William M. Schmidt) (12/29/90)

I'd like to know what users think of the Gfxbase/Boing version of
the X window system. Things that most interest me are: It is release
3 or release 4? What is the window manager? How much RAM is needed?
How much disk is needed? What toolkits, if any, are included?

I have a need for running X at home, but I'm a little afraid that
with the amiga's relatively low resolution it'd be a waste of time
and money.

Thanks
			Bill Schmidt
			schmidt@tac.harc.edu
			emcalc@sugar.hackercorp.com
--
Bill Schmidt                 |
Texas Accelerator Center     | "Eagles may soar, but a worm never

ag@cbmvax.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/30/90)

In article <7403@sugar.hackercorp.com> emcalc@sugar.hackercorp.com
(William M. Schmidt) writes:
>I'd like to know what users think of the Gfxbase/Boing version of
>the X window system. Things that most interest me are: It is release
>3 or release 4? What is the window manager? How much RAM is needed?
>How much disk is needed? What toolkits, if any, are included?

I used a release less than six months ago.  I doubt it is now the
latest release.

It was release 3 with uwm (I think twm is also included).  It ran
really well on a 2 meg machine.  It was also pleasent to use (speed).

>I have a need for running X at home, but I'm a little afraid that
>with the amiga's relatively low resolution it'd be a waste of time
>and money.

There is always the A2024 monitor that connects directly to an A3000
or with a card to a A2000 that gives you 1024x1024 when in pal mode.

Pax, Keith