[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 & A-TALK questions

In <4601@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:

>Situation:
>  I bought A-Talk ||| + Supra 2400 MNP for communination, and found that
>  A-Talk wouldn't open up dialog boxes and/or menus quite often, and I found
>  the title bar of WorkBench 2.0 saying that I had only a few KILO FAST RAM.
>  When it came to worst, I was obliged to reboot by old Vulcan nerve pinch...
>
>Questiions:
>  - Has anyone out there had similar experience described above ? I am not
>  sure which is responsible for such mischievous behaviour.

Yes. Though I haven't run into it with Atalk in particular, it is true that
some programs will not run when presented with too little ofa a particular type
of memory (CHIP or FAST)/

>  - What is the usage of FAST RAM in WorkBench 2.0 ?  Avail tells me I have
>  only half MEG for FAST RAM.  I called up my shop, and the guy said missing
>  half is used for 512K ROM which has not been installed yet for some reason.
>  I can't believe his explanation because it should have been the first item
>  in the important notice which my package came with.

Believe it. Until 2.0 comes out in ROM, 512K will be eaten by the ROM contents.

>  - What is the safest way to reboot Amiga ? It surely has a set of buffers
>  for disk drives, but I couldn't find any sync and even shutdown commands
>  which are common in unix. Multitasking is a fun, but I hate to wish
>  disks to keep sleeping.

Yes, it has buffers for the disk drives. They are flushed to the disk, if
required, after 3 seconds of inactivity.

>Minor Wishes:
>  I hope that they come true by next Xmas.
>	- memory protected AmigaDOS

Not likely. Extremely unlikely. Hmm... how about 'No'.

>  	- foolproof shutdown procedure

Wait 3 seconds after the last write operation finshes. You will, if you are
watching, see a short flash from the drive activity light. After this it is
safe to shut down, reboot, etc.

>	- exact documentation (i.e. setenv functionalities)

The A3000 docs are quite good. What is it you don't understand about their
explanation of SetEnv?

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

dcl@ncsc1.ATT.COM (Dave Love) (12/29/90)

In article <2435@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <4601@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>>
>>	- exact documentation (i.e. setenv functionalities)
>
>The A3000 docs are quite good. What is it you don't understand about their
>explanation of SetEnv?

If his docs are the same as mine, they still list the LOCAL environment
variables under the SetEnv command, when they are actually set using the
Set/UnSet commands.  SetEnv just sets the GLOBAL environment variables.

Likewise, the MakeLink docs are incorrect and several commands (i.e. CPU,
iprefs) aren't documented at all.  Several shell enhancements aren't
mentioned either (backtick commands, automatic CDs, no restriction on
the placement of the redirection symbol '>' on the command line, etc.).

So, while the A3000 docs are very good, they are aimed at a moving target
(WB 2.0), so can be a little confusing (or just plain wrong) at times.

--
 Dave Love
 UUCP: dcl@ncsc1.att.com  CI$: 75126,2223   bix: dlove

 -- "MS-DOS... The ultimate PC virus." --

In <719@ncsc1.ATT.COM>, dcl@ncsc1.ATT.COM (Dave Love) writes:
>In article <2435@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <4601@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>>>
>>>	- exact documentation (i.e. setenv functionalities)
>>
>>The A3000 docs are quite good. What is it you don't understand about their
>>explanation of SetEnv?
>
>If his docs are the same as mine, they still list the LOCAL environment
>variables under the SetEnv command, when they are actually set using the
>Set/UnSet commands.  SetEnv just sets the GLOBAL environment variables.

Hmm... the docs for SetEnv in mine speak only of global variables, while Set
refers only to local variables. Time for you to get the release version of the
A3000 binder perhaps?

>Likewise, the MakeLink docs are incorrect ...

True, and as you say, it's a moving target. Hard links work as advertised of
course.

> and several commands (i.e. CPU, iprefs) aren't documented at all.

Ahh... right you are.

>  Several shell enhancements aren't
>mentioned either (backtick commands, automatic CDs, no restriction on
>the placement of the redirection symbol '>' on the command line, etc.).

I'll take your word for it. I don't use the supplies shell.

>So, while the A3000 docs are very good, they are aimed at a moving target
>(WB 2.0), so can be a little confusing (or just plain wrong) at times.

Agreed, but they are indeed to be counted among the best ever CBM
documentation.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

mndaily@ux.acs.umn.edu (Linda Seebach) (12/31/90)

In article <719@ncsc1.ATT.COM> dcl@ncsc1.ATT.COM (Dave Love) writes:
>...no restriction on
>the placement of the redirection symbol '>' on the command line, etc.).

No restriction? Hmm. I could never get it to work if it wasn't before
any "real" arguments. The same applies to a pipe. So far as I know, there
is no way to set up several commands in a pipe with arguments to each of them.
(i.e. wc *.c *.h | sort -n +2)... Or any way to have several completely
seperate commands on a line. What ever happened to ;'s?

Hmph. Better shells have been written... Like, csh. Oh, well. Can't expect
perfection.

Apart from that: Does anyone have a list of what the undocumented commands
are? Is there any way to get 1.3 manuals with a 3000?

> Dave Love

> -- "MS-DOS... The ultimate PC virus." --
*giggle*
--SeebS--
--
mndaily is the Minnesota Daily, and does not speak for the U of M.
Linda Seebach does not speak for the Daily.