[comp.sys.amiga] Copyright infringement...

kcampbel@uafhp.uark.edu (Keith Alan Campbell) (12/31/90)

I recently got a message from Allen Hastings, author of LightWave, which follows
along the lines of another recent message or two about the rights associated    with commercial entertainment products. I believe it was Viet Ho who uploaded   the Berlin songs without realizing his gaffe. Allen was questioning how to get
MGM approval to include "2001" spacecraft objects as part of LightWave's
Phone Book (3-D object files). If anyone has any ideas or hard information on
this process, contact me or share it here on the net.

Don Kennedy
Vision Quest Systems

email will be forwarded from kcampbel@uafhp.uark.edu

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) (12/31/90)

I find it hard to believe that making a model of a space ship similar to the
one in 2001 would be considered copyright infringement.  If you used the
name "2001" to promote your product..not *that* would probably not be
copacetic.  In art if you alter an image (an I imagine this caries over
to models as well) even slightly you have legally made something new.
For example, in Paris there is a very famous poster which features
the mona-lisa with a moustach and the letters LHOOQ at the bottom
(if you speak french, say each letter one at a time to find the hidden
meaning).  Anyhow that was not copywrite infringment of a national
treasure evidently because the image was different..it had a moustache.

Of course Vanilla Ice (yes I know, gag me!) is being sue by the leader
of Wild Cherry because he uses a large sample of their "Play That Funky
Music White Boy" without having obtained the rights.  So really we
need a true "leagle eagle" to help us out here.

Out-a-here.

-Mike

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (12/31/90)

In article <37411@cup.portal.com> amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
>I find it hard to believe that making a model of a space ship similar to the
>one in 2001 would be considered copyright infringement.

Lawyers do a lot of things that are hard to believe.  I heard that Mr. Kubrik
had the first model(s?) of the Discovery destroyed after filming of 2001 was
over so it wouldn't be seen in every grade-b flick to follow for the next 10
years.  I believe if they wanted to prosecute, they would have strong legal
ground to stand on.

>  If you used the
>name "2001" to promote your product..not *that* would probably not be
>copacetic.  In art if you alter an image (an I imagine this caries over
>to models as well) even slightly you have legally made something new.
> [ details of Mona Lisa alterations deleted ]

Seeing as how it was painted hundreds of years ago, the image of the Mona
Lisa is probably in the public domain.  Lots of classicl music (the *music*,
not the performances) is in the public domain.

I do not believe that slight alterations is enough.  If I got together with
three of my buddies, we called ourselves "The Beedlz" and recorded "Elenor
Rigby", you can bet copyright lawyers would be all over our butts in a second.

Digitizing samples of songs or pictures of TV shows/movies probably fall under
the same rules as quoting from a work for review or research.  At least, I
believe a strong case could be made for this interpretation.

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of the legal technicalities involved, these
are just my opinions.

>Out-a-here.
>
>-Mike

Shouldn't this be in misc.legal or somesuch?  Of course, my site doesn't carry
that group, so if it does go there, I'll never know.

Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
dave@cs.arizona.edu	| C statements, all different.

We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (12/31/90)

In article <37411@cup.portal.com> amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:
>I find it hard to believe that making a model of a space ship similar to the
>one in 2001 would be considered copyright infringement.  If you used the
>name "2001" to promote your product..not *that* would probably not be
>copacetic.  In art if you alter an image (an I imagine this caries over
>to models as well) even slightly you have legally made something new.

But this isn't a case of "art". It is a case of commercial product
merchandising. Allen and company stand to make MONEY from the use of
these images - images that are not in the public domain.

>For example, in Paris there is a very famous poster which features
>the mona-lisa with a moustach and the letters LHOOQ at the bottom
>(if you speak french, say each letter one at a time to find the hidden
>meaning).  Anyhow that was not copywrite infringment of a national
>treasure evidently because the image was different..it had a moustache.

The use of the Mona Lisa is "allowed" because there is no one that has
the "rights" to the image.  If Da Vinci was around today and found you
using the object that -he- created to make money without asking him
first...

The same applies to the models from 2001. If they can be recognized by
folks as being from 2001 and the models are being used for profit (not
artwork that hangs for show only) then you have to get the ok from the
one that has the 'rights'.

Also, there is a certain difference between "commentary" (ie, the
political cartoons in the newspaper) and "product". "Fair use." And
even in these cases the author will try and get permission or, at the
least, will add a line to the thing like "with apologies to Da Vinci".

Allen Hastings is right in seeking permission for this use since the
purpose is to specifically use the 2001 spaceship(s). If that weren't
the case then he could use any old thing.  But he wants (wanted?) to
make use of the fact that the 2001 images are recognizable by the
general public.

bj

>-Mike

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "Macho's cool but please don't eat the urinal cakes."               |

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (12/31/90)

amigan@cup.portal.com (R Michael Medwid) writes:

>I find it hard to believe that making a model of a space ship similar to the
>one in 2001 would be considered copyright infringement.
>In art if you alter an image (an I imagine this caries over
>to models as well) even slightly you have legally made something new.
>For example, in Paris there is a very famous poster which features
>the mona-lisa with a moustach and the letters LHOOQ at the bottom...that
>was not copywrite infringment...treasure evidently because the image was
>different..it had a moustache.

It's not copyright infringement because they didn't have copyrights back
when the Mona Lisa was painted, and if they did, no copyright lasts
long enough to protect it through the present day.  In other words, there's
no copyright infringement because the Mona Lisa isn't copyrighted.

However, if the Mona Lisa _did_ have a copyright on it, then this LHOOQ
painting you describe would be a pretty clear case of a derivative
work, and hence a copyright violation.

Copyright laws protect against derivative works.  If they released 3D
models that were obvious copies of the models in 2001, this would most
likely be an infringement.  If they were "sufficiently different" but
similar designs, this would be okay.  But it's up to the court to decide
what's sufficiently different, and MGM has a lot more legal resources than
a software company.

Followups to misc.legal, this is not the group for copyright discussions.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (01/01/91)

<
<Lawyers do a lot of things that are hard to believe.  I heard that Mr. Kubrik
<had the first model(s?) of the Discovery destroyed after filming of 2001 was
<over so it wouldn't be seen in every grade-b flick to follow for the next 10
<years.  I believe if they wanted to prosecute, they would have strong legal
<ground to stand on.

There is a company currently producing models of the 2001 spacecraft under
license from Turner Entertainment (owners of the rights). So it might
not be too difficult to get legal rights to do the actual models instead
of clones.

I recently got my Discovery kit, it's quite impressive, and they promise
a Space Station Hilton kit in the near future.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"