[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with Vlt

rivers@bnlls1.nsls.bnl.gov (Mark Rivers) (01/01/91)

I am having a problem with the Vlt terminal program, and I wonder if others
have seen this and if there is a fix. I believe I am running version 4.226.

The problem occurs when downloading files to the Amiga using Kermit. The
symptoms are as follows:

- Tell the remote host (VMS or UNIX Kermit) to "set file type binary".

- Tell Vlt to switch default directory to DF1:

- Tell the remote host to send a file

- Tell Vlt to receive a file.

- Vlt pops up the window with the name of the file and the transfer
   statistics.

- The name of the file is correctly displayed, and the file is correctly
  opened on DF1:

- However, the block counter does not increment. Rather the ERROR COUNTER
  increments until it reaches 10. At that point I GET THE GURU.

- After rebooting and reloading Vlt (still in Kermit on remote host) IT WORKS
  FINE.

- This behaviour is completely reproducible (GURU first time, works after
  rebooting) and has been observed on an A1000 with 512kb and an A500 with
  1 MB.

Any ideas? Does anyone have Willy's e-mail address so I can contact him
directly?

Please respond via e-mail. I will sumarize and post if it seems desirable.

Mark Rivers                              (516) 282-7708 or 5626
Building 815                             rivers@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov (Internet)
Brookhaven National Laboratory           rivers@bnl (Bitnet)
Upton, NY 11973                          BNLX26::RIVERS  (Physnet)

swalton@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (01/01/91)

In article <2385@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, rivers@bnlls1 (Mark Rivers) writes:
>I am having a problem with the Vlt terminal program, and I wonder if others
>have seen this and if there is a fix. I believe I am running version 4.226.
>
>The problem occurs when downloading files to the Amiga using Kermit...

This isn't Willy's problem, it is mine.  There are a number of known
bugs in XPR Kermit Version 1.5, which is what Mark is actually using
for his Kermit transfers (VLT uses XPR Kermit when the user picks the
Kermit menu option).  In particular, use on an A3000 is guaranteed to
crash.

OK, I hear you--I'll try to put an interim release with the known bugs
fixed out in a few days.

Steve
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
   I am srw@csun.edu no matter WHAT the stupid From: line says!