[comp.sys.amiga] Mac Pics to IFF pics??

nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) (10/18/90)

Is there any small program available out there which can convert Mac
pics to IFF pics ??

thats really it..

thanx

Neale

Neale Type , Computing Service      ///   | "May the Balrog find you tasty."
University of Sussex, Falmer    \\\///    |     nealet @ syma.sussex.ac.uk
England.   BN1 9QH               \X//     |      ccfe7 @ cluster.sussex.ac.uk

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (12/28/90)

Re:  converting Mac pics to IFF pics

There are a number of formats on the Mac, including MacPaint, TIFF, MacDraw,
GIF, etc.  So what you use depends on which format you're using and whether
the pictures are raster or vector format.

There are a number of solutions.  The Mac has utilities in shareware and
public domain like GIFFER and Vision Lab which do some conversions.  Once
you've got them in GIF format, you can move them to the Amiga and use one
of the PD GIF to IFF conversion utilities.

Another possibility, which is pricier, but good for some folks (especially
if you don't have a modem or null modem for the file transfers, or you do
a lot of them and want speed).  Central Coast Software has a Macintosh or
Amigatosh drive and software option which provides conversion software for
a number of formats:  MacPaint, Postscript, GIF, etc.  However, you are
required to purchase the hardware as well.  The Amigatosh drive will write
both Mac and Amiga formats, or the software will work with a standard Mac
drive, but you can only write Mac files to it (from the Mac or Amiga with
Mac-to-Dos).  The Amigatosh costs a bit more but gives you more options and
flexibility.

The third possibility is The Art Department Professional from ASDG which
converts lots of file formats.  But, if you need things like TIFF (which
Pagemaker likes), then you also need the extension modules which will be
available with TAD, TAD Pro.

Well, there are three possible ways to accomplish your transfers.  I'm
sure there are more.  Hope this helps.
                                           Julie Petersen (LadyHawke)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (12/30/90)

Quoted from <37316@cup.portal.com> by Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com:
> Re:  converting Mac pics to IFF pics

> public domain like GIFFER and Vision Lab which do some conversions.  Once
> you've got them in GIF format, you can move them to the Amiga and use one
> of the PD GIF to IFF conversion utilities.

> sure there are more.  Hope this helps.

    There are also utilities on the Amiga that will convert straight from
    the mono Mac format to IFF (and back again). We have one locally that
    will convert the monochrome format into a grayscale picture 1/4 the
    original's size. Which can then be squished further, in various ways.

    Are there PD utilities out there for converting fax images to/from IFF?

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***     "Snake through the chaos with a smooth noodle map" - Devo       ***

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (12/30/90)

In article <9471.tnews@templar.actrix.gen.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>    Are there PD utilities out there for converting fax images to/from IFF?

Sure is.  Pbmplus will do just just about any conversions you can think of,
with some manipulations thrown in for good measure.  And it's public domain,
too!  What more could you ask for?

Here's the list of what it will do.  This is the "INDEX" file that comes with
the distribution.

----------

Notes: Programs that can read PPM files can also read PGM and PBM files.
       Programs that can read PGM files can also read PBM files.
       PNM programs can read any format file, and write the same format
           that they read.

PBM handles the following formats:		READING	   WRITING

    Sun icon file				icontopbm  pbmtoicon
    Sun raster file				rasttopbm  pbmtorast
    X11 bitmap file				xbmtopbm   pbmtoxbm
    X10 bitmap file				xbmtopbm   pbmtox10bm
    MacPaint					macptopbm  pbmtomacp
    CMU window manager format			cmuwmtopbm pbmtocmuwm
    MGR format					mgrtopbm   pbmtomgr
    Group 3 FAX					g3topbm    pbmtog3
    X11 window dump file			xwdtopbm   pbmtoxwd
    X10 window dump file			xwdtopbm
    Xerox doodle brushes			brushtopbm
    GEM .img format				gemtopbm
    PC paintbrush (.pcx) format			pcxtopbm
    PICT					picttopbm
    ASCII graphics					   pbmtoascii
    HP LaserJet format					   pbmtolj
    GraphOn graphics					   pbmtogo
    BBN BitGraph graphics				   pbmtobg
    Printronix format					   pbmtoptx

PGM handles the following formats:

    TIFF					tifftopgm
    Usenix FaceSaver file			fstopgm
    HIPS					hipstopgm
    FITS					fitstopgm  pgmtofits
    PostScript "image" data			psidtopgm
    raw grayscale bytes				rawtopgm
    Encapsulated PostScript				   pgmtops

PPM handles the following formats:

    color Sun raster file			rasttoppm  ppmtorast
    GIF						giftoppm   ppmtogif
    Amiga IFF ILBM				ilbmtoppm  ppmtoilbm
    color X11 window dump file			xwdtoppm   ppmtoxwd
    color X10 window dump file			xwdtoppm
    MTV ray-tracer output			mtvtoppm
    QRT ray-tracer output			qrttoppm
    TrueVision Targa file			tgatoppm
    Img-whatnot file				imgtoppm
    color Encapsulated PostScript			   ppmtops

PNM performs the following operations:

    concatenate portable anymaps		     pnmcat
    crop a portable anymap			     pnmcrop
    cut a rectangle out of a portable anymap	     pnmcut
    enlarge a portable anymap			     pnmenlarge
    perform flip operations on a portable anymap     pnmflip
    invert a portable anymap			     pnminvert
    paste a rectangle into a portable anymap	     pnmpaste
    replicate a portable anymap into a
        specified size				     pnmtile

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
We're tiny, we're toony / We're all a little loony |        Steven King

toweri@clinet.fi (Jukka Lindgren) (12/31/90)

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>Re:  converting Mac pics to IFF pics

>There are a number of formats on the Mac, including MacPaint, TIFF, MacDraw,
>GIF, etc.  So what you use depends on which format you're using and whether
>the pictures are raster or vector format.

In addition to procedures like: Mac-pic ==> GIF ==> Amiga IFF, or using
commercial products like Amigatosh form Central Coast Software, or
The Art Department Professional from ASDG, one shouldn't forget
Macintosh package called Photoshop from Adobe Inc.

It can do a lot of conversions (PS, EPSF, TIFF, GIF, Pict, etc. You-Name-It)
to and from Amiga IFF/ILBM format (including HAM).  It also allows you to
select the number of bitplanes you want to have.

Only one problem remains, to move files from Amiga-disks to Mac-disks.
I have overcome this by using MS-DOS (sigh!) disks as transfer medium
as both machines have utilities to read and write to this disk format.

>Well, there are three possible ways to accomplish your transfers.  I'm
>sure there are more.  Hope this helps.

This was only the fourth method. Otherwise, ditto

>                                           Julie Petersen (LadyHawke)

-Jukka Lindgren
-No, I am in no way affiliated with Adobe Inc. or any of its distributors.
 This is purely my own opinion and is not aimed against abovementioned
 products or companies.

--                                                                o   _
| The above-output string of ASCII-characters composted by:       |### #####   |
| toweri@clinet.FI     -or: ...!mcvax!fuug!clinet!toweri          |         |  |
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -      |###_#####   |
| "Can't you see that I'm having a cup of coffee right now !? --  |            |
| -I will NOT comment ANYTHING !!!" -Harri Holkeri, the Finnish prime minister |

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (01/01/91)

Quoted from <5967@orchid3.UUCP> by king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King):
> In article <9471.tnews@templar.actrix.gen.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) writes:
> >    Are there PD utilities out there for converting fax images to/from IFF?
>
> Sure is.  Pbmplus will do just just about any conversions you can think of,
> with some manipulations thrown in for good measure.  And it's public domain,
> too!  What more could you ask for?

    Great. I am aware that it exists, but I didn't know it had been ported
    to the Amiga yet. I've got FBM floating around somewhere, which I'd
    forgotten about. I'll look that up first. Anyone got a pointer to the
    location of the Amiga version of PBM?