[comp.sys.amiga] UUCP Incomming calls

bobl@bobsbox.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) (12/31/90)

I'm having some problems with incomming calls via UUCP1.06D.  I am running
a Hayes Ultra 96 modem and have no problems dialing out.  I have been
receiving incomming calls but there seems to be a problem when the calling
system has a lower baud than my first -B setting when running GETTY.

I have getty running thusly:

run <nil: >nil: Getty -B38400 -B19200 -B9600 -B4800 -B2400 -B1200 -Mh -7 ATS11=45

Now, when a 2400 baud system dials my system, do they have to send breaks
or something so the speed will drop on the port?  My GETTY:logfile states
that I'm getting 2400 baud connects but then the guy on the other end says
that his system is waiting for ogin: but that all he sees is garbage that
looks to be speed problems (-X9).  His system never sees the ogin: and hence
never connects fully.  When I dial out to his system we connect without a
problem.

HELP!

-- Bob

InterNet: bobl@bobsbox.cts.com		       | Raven Enterprises
    UUCP: ...crash!bobsbox!bobl 	       | 25 Raven Avenue
  BitNet: got!me!on!this!one		       | Piscataway, NJ 08854
  Home #: 908/560-7353			       | 908/271-8878

lron (12/31/90)

In article <6620@crash.cts.com>, Bob Lindabury writes:

> I'm having some problems with incomming calls via UUCP1.06D.  I am running
> a Hayes Ultra 96 modem and have no problems dialing out.  I have been
> receiving incomming calls but there seems to be a problem when the calling
> system has a lower baud than my first -B setting when running GETTY.
>
> I have getty running thusly:
>
> run <nil: >nil: Getty -B38400 -B19200 -B9600 -B4800 -B2400 -B1200 -Mh -7 ATS11=45

> Now, when a 2400 baud system dials my system, do they have to send breaks
> or something so the speed will drop on the port?  My GETTY:logfile states
> that I'm getting 2400 baud connects but then the guy on the other end says
> that his system is waiting for ogin: but that all he sees is garbage that
> looks to be speed problems (-X9).  His system never sees the ogin: and hence
> never connects fully.  When I dial out to his system we connect without a
> problem.

Well, I don't know of any 9600 modems that don't support locked baud rates,
so the trick is to do it like this:

run < nil: >nil: Getty -B19200 -Mh -7 -A ATS11=45

The -A will lock the comm port at 19.2K and the modem will handle adjusting
to the actual speed the other modem is connecting at.  If you don't do this
your modem is likely going to be sending the info into your serial port at
the rate it was set at when it sent the RING message indicating an incomming
call, but Getty will change the rate to whatever the connect message is
(CONNECT 2400) which will cause problems as Getty will be reading the serial
port at 2400 while the modem sends at 19.2Kbps.

This is the line I use with my USR dual standard and it has worked with
connects at 1200, 2400, and 9600 (V.32) without problems:

run >nil: <nil: Getty z s0=1 -r1 -m0 -A -B19200 -Mh -7
CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDBDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3 Dwight Hubbard                     3 USENET  : uunet!easy!lron             3
3 Kaneohe, Hawaii                    3 GT-Power: 029/004              (lron) 3
3                                    3 CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard) 3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

In article <6620@crash.cts.com> bobl@bobsbox.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>I'm having some problems with incomming calls via UUCP1.06D.  I am running
>a Hayes Ultra 96 modem and have no problems dialing out.  I have been
>receiving incomming calls but there seems to be a problem when the calling
>system has a lower baud than my first -B setting when running GETTY.

>I have getty running thusly:

>run <nil: >nil: Getty -B38400 -B19200 -B9600 -B4800 -B2400 -B1200 -Mh -7 ATS11=45

>Now, when a 2400 baud system dials my system, do they have to send breaks
>or something so the speed will drop on the port?  My GETTY:logfile states
>that I'm getting 2400 baud connects but then the guy on the other end says
>that his system is waiting for ogin: but that all he sees is garbage that
>looks to be speed problems (-X9).  His system never sees the ogin: and hence
>never connects fully.  When I dial out to his system we connect without a
>problem.

Well, I see another posting with an answer for something to try on your end.

On your friend's end, he should loop sending RETURNs, waiting a couple
of seconds after each to detect the "ogin:" string, and use that to exit
the loop to script that sends the login ID. That's what I've had to do
with scripts calling 2400 baud lines with my 1200 baud terminal.

Occasionally a service wants something other than RETURNs; one I've used
wants a string of "..."s, but my current dialup looks for RETURNs, and
that seems like a pretty standard way to synch modem speeds.

Kent, the man from xanth.