[comp.sys.amiga] Upload of WenWeMakeLuv on...ucsd.edu

Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) (12/30/90)

 It's been brought to my attention that what I have done
is illegal.   Therefore, the large sound samples will
be removed as soon as our internet connection goes up
after Jan 2nd.    I have *NOT* uploaded WWML yet, so
there's only one offending file sitting in pub/amiga/
on X ftp site.

My humblest apologies.... but please, email me directly!
It was by chance a friend pass to me the news (our news
server connection is also down).

This brings up a question about copyrights however.   What's
the difference between sampling a piece of music and say, scanning
in images from say, a poster, book, or an animation from
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"??

-Viet
 Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu

In <2055@beguine.UUCP>, Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:

>This brings up a question about copyrights however.   What's
>the difference between sampling a piece of music and say, scanning
>in images from say, a poster, book, or an animation from
>"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"??

The main difference is in how actively the copyright owners protect their
rights. The music industry is near fanatical in this regard.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

vidynath@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (12/31/90)

In article <2444@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>
	lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>The main difference is in how actively the copyright owners protect their
>rights. The music industry is near fanatical in this regard.

As well as what portion is reproduced, with what intent and with what effect
on the income of the copyright holder. You can probably get away with
sampling just 5 seconds of a 6 minute song. You certainly can if the sample
is part of a review or course notes. You can sample a minute of Roger
Rabbit, but certainly not the whole movie or even 10 minutes of it. You
certainly cannot scan a poster that is being sold. Finally you can scan a
whole advertisement and if the advertiser wants you to pay for it, he will
be laughed out of the court.
--
Vidhyanth Rao			It is the man, not the method, that solves
function.mps.ohio-state.edu	the problem. - Henri Poincare

dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz (Dale Gold) (01/01/91)

Quoted from <...unknown> by lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips):
> In <2055@beguine.UUCP>, Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
> >
> >This brings up a question about copyrights however.   What's
> >the difference between sampling a piece of music and say, scanning
> >in images from say, a poster, book, or an animation from
> >"Who Framed Roger Rabbit"??
>
> The main difference is in how actively the copyright owners protect their
> rights. The music industry is near fanatical in this regard.

Yes we are. :-) I suppose the music industry has had a couple hundred
years more experience with copyright infringement than the computer
industry and has had more time to see the effects & find ways of dealing
with them. Musicians probably also have the advantage of organisations like
ASCAP, which has been defending the rights of composers (and probably
making quite a few bucks off them in the process).  By its nature, ASCAP
used to wield a lot more clout than any individual publisher, although this
has probably changed in the days of Mega-buck recording companies.

Computer users probably form a somewhat more responsible user-base, too.
It doesn't take a great intellect to realise that if our software suppliers
go bust, we'll soon be up the creek without a paddle. Pinch some music, and
there will always be more music.

Realisticaly, I imagine that most companies would view sound samples and
animations on a computer network as free advertising, but as the quality
and size of samples/anims improve due to better hardware & storage media,
they will start to take notice of these things.
--
   <  dgold@basso.actrix.gen.nz   |   Eschew Obfuscation   >