[comp.sys.amiga] But how much? Re: Amiga Plus does not pay its authors!!!!!

For the author wannabes in the crowd, can you give a hint as to what the
major Amiga rags are paying for what amount of text?

Kent, the man from xanth.

DEVA@cup.portal.com (David Michael Alves) (01/03/91)

> Kent, the man from xanth writes:

> For the author wannabes in the crowd, can you give a hint as to what the
> major Amiga rags are paying for what amount of text?

Well, Jumpdisk advertises that they pay from $25 to $200 for an article.
Others may pay about the same, or more, or less.  (helpful huh. :-)

I've never written articles for mags, (which may show in my ignorance
above), just programs for the disks that they have.  Programs usually
pay more then articles, depending on how nice they are.  It's harder to
put a price on a program (except for the time put into it), but some
of the larger disk based mags will go up to (around) $2000 for a really
nice program.

David Alves
Devasoft / Tel (408)927-9645
DEVA@cup.portal.com

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker) (01/03/91)

In article <37497@cup.portal.com> DEVA@cup.portal.com (David Michael Alves) writes:
> > Kent, the man from xanth writes:
>
> > For the author wannabes in the crowd, can you give a hint as to what the
> > major Amiga rags are paying for what amount of text?
>
> Well, Jumpdisk advertises that they pay from $25 to $200 for an article.
> Others may pay about the same, or more, or less.  (helpful huh. :-)

Most of the publications pay based on the number of final published pages,
or possibly even word count (INFO for example). Payment is generally when
the article is actually published, not on acceptance like in the 'olden'
days. If you ever decide to write, watch out for things like "binders".
Byte magazine in the early days used to pay a $20-25 binder that would
reserve an article for their magazine, but you wouldn't be paid until
the article was actually published.... but there was no guarantee that
the article ever would be used!

In any event, actuall payment scales will vary with the size of the
magazine, typically in the $25 to $100 per page range from what I
remember.

    Robert Baker