[comp.sys.amiga] Write caching

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (12/31/90)

I'm not totally sure of the logistics of the write caching on FaccII,
but I do believe there's a "write remember" option which will cache
writes, even though it is a write-through system.  The only benefit is
not having to re-read what you just wrote.  I don't know if I'd want a
true write cache on removable media anyway...

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (01/01/91)

In article <1043.277ED61B@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
> I don't know if I'd want a
>true write cache on removable media anyway...

Obviously you didn't try one (no wonder, apparently there is none on the
amiga). The speed gain is tremendous, notably when backing up your HD to
floppies...

Anyways the "normal" amiga file system has already a write cache, when writing
the bitmap. Removable is not the danger either, since you can always be
requested to re-insert the disk. Disater strikes when you reboot or GURU too
early, but then you can also trash your HD as well...

So, apparatenly only Facc and BlitzDisk exist as disk cache on the amiga.
Picture is grim since neither of them have the requested features...
People generally advised me to go with BlitzDisk (more recent than faccII), so
where can I find it?

PS: Thanks to everyone who responded, c.s.a. is really very active!

Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66
INRIA Sophia, 2004, rte des Lucioles, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

davego@polari.UUCP (dave oliphant) (01/04/91)

>So, apparatenly only Facc and BlitzDisk exist as disk cache on the amiga.
>Picture is grim since neither of them have the requested features...
>People generally advised me to go with BlitzDisk (more recent than faccII), so
>where can I find it?

>PS: Thanks to everyone who responded, c.s.a. is really very active!

>Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
>Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66
>INRIA Sophia, 2004, rte des Lucioles, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE

BlitzDisk is part of the TxEd Plus editor package.  However, I purchased my
package in early 1988 so they might have changed this.  The package I got
included the current ARP release, Blitz Disk, FunKeys (utility to make use of
the function keys), FF (fast fonts, which was released with version 1.3 of
Amiga DOS), and of course, TxEd, a text editor.

TxEd is one of a few indispensable programs I use, and it has the ubiquitous
arexx port.

The address I have is:
                              Microsmiths, Inc.
                              PO Box 561
                              Cambridge, MA  02140
                              (617) 354-1224

Would someone in the local area please confirm this.  Things have a way of
changing in three years.

--
davego@polari.UUCP                                   Dave G. Oliphant
"Just where is dave going, anyway?"                  (206) 325-5669