[comp.sys.amiga] Superplan copy protection

tim@lenti.med.umn.edu (Tim Leonard) (12/28/90)

Can anyone tell me what kind of copy protection Superplan (the
spreadsheet) uses?  I read in Amiga World that it uses the
dreaded dongle but is also available in a non-copy protected
version for $10 more.  Creative computers only lists one version
and couldn't tell me which it was.

Thanks,

Tim Leonard      tim@lenti.med.umn.edu

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/29/90)

You can only get the unprotected version when you register your purchased
copy of Superplan. It is encrypted with your name and address so that they
can trace unauthorized copies. Note that Raw Copy, which undongleized my
purchased copy of Superbase Personal 2, MIGHT do the same for Superplan.
Or, you could get MaxiPlan, which uses no dongle, and is a pretty good
spreadsheet...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (12/29/90)

Tim> Can anyone tell me what kind of copy protection Superplan (the
Tim> spreadsheet) uses?  I read in Amiga World that it uses the dreaded dongle
Tim> but is also available in a non-copy protected version for $10 more.
Tim> Creative computers only lists one version and couldn't tell me which it
Tim> was.

Superplan (and Superbase) are dongle protected out of the box.  Precision
Software is a European based software developer (England, I think) where copy
protection is almost mandatory (I saw recent figures suggesting that software
piracy is larger than software sales in Germany).  However, the non-copy
protected version of either is available for a nominal fee (~$10) from
Precision in their Dallas office:

	Precision, Inc.
	8404 Sterling St., Suite A
	Irving, Tx  75063
	(214) 929-4888

David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (01/03/91)

davidm@cimshop.HP.COM writes:
>piracy is larger than software sales in Germany).  However, the non-copy
>protected version of either is available for a nominal fee (~$10) from
>Precision in their Dallas office:

Just to make it really explicit:  that's a nominal _additional_ fee.  You
can't just get the programs for that price.  That's the incremental price
to get the dongle-free versions after you have gotten your 'best deal' on
the stock dongle protected version.  (It was worth it for me...and I
think Superplan is a much better spreadsheet than MaxiPlan; I got up to
version 1.9B, I think, on MaxiPlan till I couldn't stand the crashes and
lost data anymore.  Based on repeatable crashes related to spreadsheet
operations, I rate MaxiPlan 'Unacceptable'.)

dhansen@amiganet.UUCP (Dave Hansen) (01/05/91)

Well, I've got MaxiPlanIII v3.5 and have never lost data with it.  I have
tried the SuperPlan that a fellow Amiga user purchased for a week before I
gave it back to him.  I'd never buy it.  It's about as intuitive as Lotus123.
I have never completely read the MaxiPlan manual, and while support is
lacking, I'll not switch unless something goes wrong with it.  It's a darn
nice program.

                                     uucp:gargoyle!obdient!amiganet!dhansen
voice: (708)691-4747