[comp.sys.amiga] Video Toaster

chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) (02/25/88)

All right, that's it.  That's enough.  When I first heard mention of
this video toaster thing I decided it was a joke.  Then as time went
by and it kept showing up I wasn't so sure.  Then I figured it'd been
around for so long asking would just show how stupid I was.

Now supposedly this toaster has popped up (ouch!) on Computer
Chronicles.  I give.  Am I stupid for getting hoodwinked or am I
stupid for not having heard of it?  Will somebody please deign to
illuminate this clueless soul?

Adam

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are
dumb than to open it and remove all doubt."

R38@PSUVM.BITNET (aka Marc Rifkin) (02/25/88)

The video toaster is a masterfull conglomeration of video control
devices.  It combines the power of:
    Frame capture- 60 times a second
    Frame buffer - great resolution with millions of colors
                   (numbers unavailable)
    Genlocking - overlay and mix of video
The software includes some head spinning effects that make destop
video close to reality.
For ex. the frame capture was almost as fluid and clear as regular
video.  They did just about everything with this image except map it
to the contours of a kitchen sink.
Later,
-------
       ________                         |-R38@PSUVM.PSU-------------------|
    / /  ____  \                        | Marc Rifkin                     |
   / /  /_/_/  /                        | 132 Beaver Hall University Park |
  / /  ____   /                         | 16802 (814)862-6892             |
 / /  /  \ \  \ A E G I S   OF Vertex   +=================================+
/ /__/   / /__/ ---===---        INC.
                                        "No matter where you go,
                                         There you are." -BB & MM

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/03/88)

In article <1963@cadovax.UUCP>, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
> The apparently handle the ability to continuously read a video
> signal into frame buffer memory according to programmable algorythms
> which can provide the various real-time effects, zooming, spinning,
> rotating etc. on the image.  Kind of a video-scan microprocessor.

Yeah, that is how I decided that they do it, too.  When I saw the
Video Toaster mapping stuff onto a sphere in realtime, I was
totally blown away (try doing a purely software implementation of that on
about anything and get it to run in real time!)  Well, some
thoughtful introspection made me conclude that they probably have
some device as you described, where one could say "pixels from here to
here copy over here to here, backwards...", etc. etc.  Perhaps the
transitions can be specified, a display list type thing, to automate
spinning the cube (the transfer rate for the data required to specify what
the board is to do could get pretty hefty)  This automation is
vaguely implied by the March 1988 Amigaworld which, incidentally, contains
a lot of useful info for Amiga video spuds.  Maybe the toaster could
actually execute programs, as well, I mean "classic" programs like ones that
include a conditional branch.  Wouldn't that be great?

The Toaster incorporates a digitizer, frame buffer and genlock in one
unit.  It can accept two video inputs and they do not have to be in
sync with each other.  NewTek claims that is is broadcast quality.
(...and I assume it is.  I just can't attest to it.)

List is going to be $800.  I called NewTek today.  They're planning to
ship end of May (plan for at least the usual schedule slip).  They
won't take any orders until four weeks before they ship.  (I assume
that's a sliding scale :-)

I'm getting one, no question.

What I want to know is when is the Atari ST version coming out? (snicker)

> Sure like to peruse the spec sheets of these animals.

Yeah.  Anyone with such info please post it.
--
"Lack of skill dictates economy of style." - Joey Ramone
..!uunet!nuchat!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

charles@hpcvca.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (03/08/88)

> List is going to be $800.  I called NewTek today.
>	..!uunet!nuchat!sugar!karl, Unix BBS (713) 438-5018

Please post the phone number.
	charles@hp-pcd

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (04/07/90)

> [ No I-Hate-Vaporware-Kill-The-Guy-With-The-Toaster-Rumor Flames Please...]
>
> Some informed sources around here have told me that the Video Toaster was
> supposed to be released sometime last in the last (or next) couple of weeks.
>
> Now...  Anyone else have information along these lines?  Any information
> at all??  Is this all a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors?  If it does what it
> was supposed to AND looked even better then the asking price of $1600 is a
> pretty good deal!

Hmm..I don't care if you hate those flames.  As far as I'm concerned..the
toaster is a non-product even if it does come to market.  I can't bring myself
to do business with a company that can lie and string people along like that
and I feel it has hurt the Amiga graphics industry more than it has helped it.

I, for one, agree with the guy who said something like "It better be a
microwave because my bread is toasted" or something.

I feel that Newtek has been very irresponsible with this "Toaster" thing and I
will be banning the product.  I have information from other sources informing
me of other products that will compete with the alledged Newtek BS product and
I would much rather purchase items of that cost from a company that isn't
lying to the public.

-- Bob
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (04/08/90)

Granted, the toaster is the biggest Amiga vaporware product since Live!, and
probably the biggest one ever.

They did get nailed by the 4X boost in memory prices caused by our government
a couple years ago, but those prices have been back to where they were for
a few months.

They did apparently put the time to good use, though.  From my materials, the
toaster contains four custom VLSI chips.

OK, so it is still vaporware.  But if it does come out, and at the $1595 price,
there will be revolution -- it is that important of a product.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl   "I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know." -- Emerson
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (04/09/90)

In article <2120@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>Hmm..I don't care if you hate those flames.  As far as I'm concerned..the
>toaster is a non-product even if it does come to market.  I can't bring myself
>to do business with a company that can lie and string people along like that
>and I feel it has hurt the Amiga graphics industry more than it has helped it.

I'm sure that the goons from NewTek will kidnap you and strap you to a chair
with duct tape and shine a halogen lamp into your eyes till you break.

"Are you ready to buy a video toaster yet?  No?  Hey Vinnie, our friend
Bob here needs some encouragement.  Come over here and encourage him to
buy a video toaster..."

>I, for one, agree with the guy who said something like "It better be a
>microwave because my bread is toasted" or something.
>
>I feel that Newtek has been very irresponsible with this "Toaster" thing and I
>will be banning the product.

How do you propose to accomplish this?

I can see it now, the SS break down the door to my computer room, they
pour in and surround me, their automatic weapons pointed at my face.
The chief comes in.  "It's just as we thought, he has a Video Toaster
in here!  Don't you realise, this product has been banned by Bob
himself!"  He gestures to his men.  "Shoot him!"

>                      ...I have information from other sources informing
>me of other products that will compete with the alledged Newtek BS product and
>I would much rather purchase items of that cost from a company that isn't
>lying to the public.

Go for it.

For the humor impaired:  ;^)

BTW, I don't know anything about NewTek or the Toaster or Bob.  No
defense of NewTek intended.  All silliness is intentional.

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (04/14/90)

>>I feel that Newtek has been very irresponsible with this "Toaster" thing and
>>will be banning the product.
>
>How do you propose to accomplish this?
>
>I can see it now, the SS break down the door to my computer room, they
>pour in and surround me, their automatic weapons pointed at my face.
>The chief comes in.  "It's just as we thought, he has a Video Toaster
>in here!  Don't you realise, this product has been banned by Bob
>himself!"  He gestures to his men.  "Shoot him!"

I, for one, wouldn't even consider purchasing something that had been banned
by "Bob Himself".  After all, as a supporter of the church of the subgenius,
I must do what Bob commands, or the saucers will get me!

(Let's see how many people get the joke....)

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     *                uunet!tronsbox!bleys                       *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu (08/24/90)

As I was looking through the AC's Guide, I came across Video Toaster
made by NewTek. From what I read, would this do everything that one would
want for multi-media platform??
Since list price is at $1595
 and comes with/as a character-generating program
 Paint and 3D program
 Broadcast quality genlock
 frame grabber
 digitizer
 DVE
 24bit-16 million colors

wouldn't you be saving a lot of money in the long run??
I have no knowledge of what this really can do vs. multiple packages
with the same or more power for around the same price..So could someone
clue me in via E-Mail.

By the way, I hear DCTV is coming out, what does that exactly do? Is it
better then Video Toaster?? Or am I comparing amigas and apples??

Or is there something better than all of these. It's not like I'm going
to go out and buy one tomorrow, but I am quite curious. I might be able
to get something like Video Toaster one of these days.

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (08/27/90)

In article <28275@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
>As I was looking through the AC's Guide, I came across Video Toaster
>made by NewTek. From what I read, would this do everything that one would
>want for multi-media platform??
>Since list price is at $1595
> and comes with/as a character-generating program
> Paint and 3D program
> Broadcast quality genlock
> frame grabber
> digitizer
> DVE
> 24bit-16 million colors
>
>wouldn't you be saving a lot of money in the long run??
>I have no knowledge of what this really can do vs. multiple packages
>with the same or more power for around the same price..So could someone
>clue me in via E-Mail.
>
>By the way, I hear DCTV is coming out, what does that exactly do? Is it
>better then Video Toaster?? Or am I comparing amigas and apples??
>
>Or is there something better than all of these. It's not like I'm going
>to go out and buy one tomorrow, but I am quite curious. I might be able
>to get something like Video Toaster one of these days.

 DCTV is a hardware device (sort of a framebuffer that gives the Amiga
 broadcast resolutions (or close) and enhances DCTV graphics to the
 quality of 24-bit color) that uses the Amiga's memory to create
 stunning graphics and is a slow-scan digitizing system. Essentially
 it's a framebuffer with a slow-scan video digitizing system (yes it can
 use a color camera unlike newtek). Because it uses the Amiga's memory
 it can create ANIMATED imagery in realtime (using the Amiga to
 swap images in and out in realtime). There will be an animation program
 at some point, but the demos being shown at DCTV demos were showing full
 blown ANIMATION in realtime (from a large hard drive).

 It's an alternative to a framebuffer and has some unique capabilities
 such as animation that make it unique in the market..

*****                                                                    *****
*****                                                                    *****
*****                                                                    *****
***** donb@bushido.uucp                                                  *****
***** My opinions are my own, and no one else's                          *****
***** Standard disclaimer                                                *****
***** Organizational Affiliations:                                       *****

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (09/29/90)

Saw this on CompuServe and thought I'd share it with the net:

#: 887 S3/Hot News and Rumors
    27-Sep-90  18:49:36
Sb: FAUG 5th Anniversary
Fm: RAD Moose - NewTek,Inc. 76004,3350
To: ALL

**  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  **
**                                                               **
**     FIFTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST AMIGA USERS GROUP (FAUG)   **
**                                                               **
**  Come See The World Premiere of the completed Video Toaster   **
**         at the fifth anniversary meeting of FAUG              **
**                                                               **
**  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  **

         After four years of intensive development, NewTek will be
unveiling the shipping version of the Toaster.  The award-winning
Video Toaster combines the most expensive componesnts of a network
television studio into one low-cost, easy-to-use device.  NewTek
president Tim Jenison will be one hand with key members of the
Toaster development team including Peter Tjeerdsma, Daniel Kaye,
Stuart Ferguson, and Allen Hastings.  Allen will be demonstrating
the LightWave 3D animation system included with the Video Toaster.
Peter and Daniel will be demonstrating the ChromaFX color processing
system, and Stuart will be unveiling LightWave Modeler.  Also to be
shown, ToasterPaint, the Amiga's first 16 million color paint system,
and other Toaster features, including digital effects, and switching.

        To celebrate the fifth anniversary of FAUG and the Amiga's
fifth birthday, Paul Montgomery, one of FAUG's original founders,
will return to host the meeting.  Members of the original Amiga
design team will be present along with representatives from
Commodore.  The FAUG bar will be back along with the usual FAUG
goodies including door prizes and the Hot Mix public domain disks.

        The meeting will be on Tuesday, October 2,1990 in the
Palo Alto Hyatt. (4290 El Camino Real).  Admission is free for
FAUG members and $5 for guests.  For more information, please
contact Kiki at 913/354-1146.

        Don't miss this exciting event as the Amiga moves into the
world of broadcast video and begins its next five years.s
-----------------------

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) (11/19/90)

I asked a friend of mine in the video field to give me a quick summary of
the Video Toaster and how it has effected his area so far.  He gave a
quick summary, but I think it says a good bit.

-------

At my new job, we ordered 2 video toasters (they should be here next month).

The toaster is what I was originally telling you about.  You get $150,000.00
worth of hardware for about $5,000.00 (the cost of the computer plus $1,500.00
for the toaster).  The toaster is a board that is added to an Amiga 2500 (or
3000).  The reason people are doubting it is because they feel stupid because
they probably just spent $50,000.00 on a piece of equipment that doesn't do 1/3
the shit the toaster does.  When I came back to school I showed a brochure to
the director of engineering at WSIU tv.  He said it was too good to be true,
that it would not come up to the specs needed for broadcast.  I showed it to
my professors who said it was not possible.  I showed it to Lisa Hitt, she is
in charge of learning resources, she hired me and ordered 2 toasters.  We are
getting 2 so we can use one while the other is tied up creating new graphics.
I could send you some articles from the trade mags, but basically it is one of
those things that certain people won't believe even if they do see it.  The
main argument I hear is that it is made by Commodore, therefore it sucks.  One,
the Amiga is not a 64, two the toaster is made by NewTek, three some people
believe that inexpensive and cheap are one in the same.

					Greg A. Gley
					SIU

                     /\\         _  __  ___    /\\   \\ \  \    \        \
                    /  \\  |\/||  | |  //___  /  \\   \\ \  \    \        \
                   / /\ \\ |\/|| _| |_ \\_// / /\ \\   \\_\__\____\________\
                   \_liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu_//   // /  /    /        /

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (11/19/90)

     After talking to a local amiga dealer, he told me that the minimum
cost for a Video Toaster set up is $6000! This includes an 80 meg hard
drive, and an accelerator board. This price does not include the price
of an A2000. What is the bar bones set up for just using the frame
grabber and genlock capabilities of the Toaster? I'm not interested (yet)
in the 24-bit 3-D rendering part of the package, just the genlock and
framegrabber. Also, is there any video products (ie. camcorders or
VCR's) that have built in Time Based Controllers? Any help would
greatly solve my dilema.

-Steve M. Suhy-
                               __
                // /|  /|/| | / _  /|
              \// /-| / | | | \_/ /-|

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (11/20/90)

In article <61899@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:

>     After talking to a local amiga dealer, he told me that the minimum
>cost for a Video Toaster set up is $6000! This includes an 80 meg hard
>drive, and an accelerator board. This price does not include the price
>of an A2000. What is the bar bones set up for just using the frame
>grabber and genlock capabilities of the Toaster? I'm not interested (yet)
>in the 24-bit 3-D rendering part of the package, just the genlock and
>framegrabber. Also, is there any video products (ie. camcorders or
>VCR's) that have built in Time Based Controllers?

Absolute bare bones is a 2000 with 3M ram and 5M off free disk space.
Toaster documentation will tell you that 5M of ram is needed, but I
got it to work with three. In this setup, you will be able to use the
Toaster as a genlock and pobably a frame grabber. However, the Toaster
grabs 8 consecutive frames (or is it fields) to maintain full color
fidelity, which can be very jumpy if your target is not still. A gadget
in the software allows you to remove this jumping, but you will need
5M ram to do it. For Lightwave, you can run without an accellerater
but I couldn't imagine doing it. 3M ram will allow rendering only the
simplest objects. With 5M, a reasonably complex scene can be rendered
provided you don't go crazy with image surface maps (you also may not
be able to do anti-aliasing). Note that a full screen sized 24bit surface
map will chew up 1M by itself. Toaster Paint is also very difficult to
use with only 5M. 7M is a pretty comfortable working environment and
ofcourse 9M is great! If you plan on a lot of frame grabbing, get a big disk.
I currently have 380M on line. As for VCRs with TBCs, there are a few
currently available but I don't know the model numbers off hand. NewTek
can give you some info if you give them a ring. Be forwarned that their
phone is pretty busy these days.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (11/21/90)

In article <72770@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) writes:
>                   The toaster is a board that is added to an Amiga 2500 (or
>3000).  The reason people are doubting it is because they feel stupid because
>they probably just spent $50,000.00 on a piece of equipment that doesn't do 1/3
>the shit the toaster does.

We just finished Amiga Day here at Southwest Research Institute.
Sponsored by the great guys at Amazing Computers and Donald Duskey from
Commodore. The Amazing crew did a wonderful job of demostrating the
Video Toaster, AmigaVision, the A3000 & A3000UX & lots more
(AmaxII...). Generated some interest & some very interesting
conversations which, unfortunately, I probably shouldn't repeat.

Anyway. Some of the guys from the video group came by and "were quite
impressed", so went back & got their boss, who had recently purchased a
complete production video system. His answer was "But what can it do
for me?"...

>but basically it is one of
>those things that certain people won't believe even if they do see it.

On the other hand, The JumboTron scoreboard for the San Antonio Stars
plays pre-recorded videos produced by First Video here in S.A. using
Amigas. They are not allowed to go live on the JumboTron because Apple
is providing funding for (?) of this stuff and Apple will withdraw
funding if live video produced by an Amiga is shown on the JT. Apple
has provided over $52k in MacII equipment and the Stars people still
can't get an acceptible image on the JumboTron with the Mac, so no
animations.

I guess Apple believes what they have seen :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

In article <29537@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:

>On the other hand, The JumboTron scoreboard for the San Antonio Stars

Ackkk! that should be Spurs (boy, I'm in trouble now!!! :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (11/21/90)

True the Toaster/Commodore products get a lot of "can't be true etc. But we
have used it and it DOES do most (if not all) the things it's claimed to do.
HOWEVER it is NOT an equivalent to a 50K machine. Don't get me wrong, it is
well worth price, even 4 times the cost BUT a dedicated DVE is a beast of
another color. The Toaster lacks some signifigant feature, non-programable
moves, artifacting in compression mode, a slightly awkward interface to name a
few. True, some of these may be changed in upgrades, but if you are a
professional who needs a more sophisticated DVE, you'll still need to buy a
dedicated one. Maybe a Jazz for around 10K$.

I can see a lot of toasters used as a second DVE channel and maybe as a
general effects device. We indend to included it free in our online suite and
it certainly will be a bargain for our clients, but, if our clients need very
sophisticated, cutomized DVE moves, we will use a dedicated machine. For an
additional fee.

As far as 3D graphics, you'd be hard pressed to find anything even close at 3X
the cost.
CG excellent, interface and output very good.
Colorising effects, very good for "trick" effects and probably the least
appreciated feature of the Toaster. This "slice" can be used to color correct
or color inhance video that is slightly to greatly out.

All in all I believe the TOASTER is a excellent, excellent product. Is it a
replacement for a dedicated Digital Effects Device?  Well, depending on you're
sophistication or needs maybe. It is NOT, however, the same machine you'd pay
50K for. Perhaps, because of the cost of the Toaster, devices like that will
come down.

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (11/22/90)

In article <61899@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:
>Also, is there any video products (ie. camcorders or
>VCR's) that have built in Time Based Controllers? Any help would
>greatly solve my dilema.

I was looking in a brochure of Phillips video products (for last year's
models, I think).  Their top-of-the-line digital SVHS VCR includes
a built-in Time-Base Corrector.  I don't remember the model number
right off hand (6975?  It had a '9' in it where the others didn't).
It looked like a super VCR, but I have no idea how much it costs.  I'd
guess it's near the $1K range.

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

dms@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (David M. Schwartz) (12/28/90)

know why there is no video tape in the Toaster box as it is stated on the
outside of the box?  We have very ANGRY customers here, and we can't get
NewTek to be of any help over the phone!

If anyone knows of a Toaster clone in the works let us know.  As long as
their customer/dealer support is better than NewTek's they'll get all of
the business.
# As soon as I discover this, #  SAC-*NIX, Sacramento, Ca.  #
#     I will change it!       # UUCP=..ames!pacbell!sactoh0 #
########################default .sig#########################

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (12/29/90)

Toaster clone? Heh. Right. Thats almost as funny as an Amiga clone.

I've never had a problem with NewTek's customer support.

				-Moriland

        "All usual disclaimers apply..."     | Founder Of: Evil Young
  //                                         | Mutants For A Better Tommorow.
\X/ "Only Amiga Makes It Possible."          | hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu

bn@attcc.UUCP (12/30/90)

> Toaster clone? Heh. Right. Thats almost as funny as an Amiga clone.
>
> I've never had a problem with NewTek's customer support.
>
> 				-Moriland

Hmmm, apperently, you haven't heard about the Video Blender. (that's no joke.)
From page 108 of February 1991 Amiga World:

Progressive periplerals & software recently took the wraps off the
Video Blender ($1295),  a video switching system that works with all
Amigas.
[......]
The Blender's internal circuitry is designed to synchronize multiple
video inputs without time-base corrector hardware. In addition, you can
synchronize the stereo audio channels with video.
[......]
The MixMaster software lets you program an unlimited number of wipes and other
special video effects. The package comes with over 2800 preset wipe patterns.

Well, folks, looks like the Amiga professional video hardware war is heating
up. This thing is cheaper than the Toaster, and seems to shine in the areas
where the toaster (or at least current Toaster software) are a bit lacking.
Don't get me wrong, I don't consider this a Toaster killer, but it will
definately keep the New Tek people on their toes. Amiga market needs this
sort of competition. It will only bring more excellence to the products that
become available.

Bo Najdrovsky             #include <std_disclaimer.h>
...!att!occrsh!attcc!bn
bn@occrsh.att.com         "Why ask why?"

In <73800008@attcc.UUCP>, bn@attcc.UUCP writes:

>Hmmm, apperently, you haven't heard about the Video Blender. (that's no joke.)
>
> [ ... ]
>
>Well, folks, looks like the Amiga professional video hardware war is heating
>up. This thing is cheaper than the Toaster, and seems to shine in the areas
>where the toaster (or at least current Toaster software) are a bit lacking.

What's next? How about:

The Video Cuisinart
-------------------
   Slices pictures horizontally, vertically, or by bitplane!
   Combine above to allow you to cube, shred, dice (with optional C compiler),
     grate, chop, or puree.

The Video Electric Can Opener
-----------------------------
   Open up those pictures and animations for fun video effects!
   Automatically removes any text labels and crushes the rest after viewing
    for easy recycling.

The Video Electric Toothbrush
-----------------------------
   Sparkle up those video effects!
   Polish those presentations!

The Video Microwave Oven
------------------------
   Do those videos from the inside out!
   Fast, efficient cookbook approach.
   Defrost mode for frozen videos from our companion appliance, the Vieo Deep
    Freezer.

The Video Coffee Grinder
------------------------
   Choose your grind, blend your pixels.
   Your videos will never be stale again, using our Video Coffee grinder, and
     fresh, whole pixels.
   Wake up to the sight of fresh videos with optional timer.

-larry

--
The best way to accelerate an MsDos machine is at 32 ft/sec/sec.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (01/02/91)

On the subject of the VideoBlender, why not have it work in conjunction with
the Toaster? (as long as it doesn't occupy the videoslot)

An Amiga with both peripherals would still only be about 15% of the cost of a
1" or digital VTR.  You could even get two Amigas, one for each device, and
you still would have an inexpensive DVE solution.

Now if we could just get one of those hard drive based editing suites like
they've got for the Mac...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1990 VISION GRAPHICS |

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/02/91)

Heh. Sounds like a Video Producer's nightmare....

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (01/04/91)

In article <6658@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
$Now if we could just get one of those hard drive based editing suites like
$they've got for the Mac...
$
$Sean

Funny you should mention this.  This type of product has been viewed as a
huge breakthrough, etc., that will set the world on fire.

The "biggest name" in this area just announced they'd sold their 100th one
(and it's been on the market for a few years now).

Hardly as hot as many would make believe...

	Paul.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (01/06/91)

Who is the "biggest name" in this area?

The first product of this type that I've seen is the AVID/1 Media
Composer...it's about $70,000.  In the article about it (Millimeter) they also
mentioned Blade Runner ($15,995), which uses a modified version of the
Moonraker digitizer.  The manufacturer went on to say that the best system to
configure for work with this would be a ][fx with a Pinnacle "juke box" of 10
magneto-optical drives, and a Sony 1302.  This would bring the price of the
Blade Runner workstation up to about $35,000.

100 x $70,000 = $7,000,000

This sounds pretty good to me, but I don't know what their R&D, marketing,
etc. cost them.

Sean