[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet help

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (02/17/89)

I think I have installed DNET correctly between our Sun and Amiga
but I seem to be experiencing a problem.  When I run dnet on the Sun
through my dnet window on my Amiga, the FTERM comes up as anticipated
but it never returns.  It just keeps passing packets endlessly.
statdnet shows an incrementing garbage message count.  And the DNET.
file in ~/.DNET shows a comment like: socket command not supported.
(or something along those lines)

Any hints?

Also, does anyone have a termcap for the Amiga,  the sun and ansi
termcaps cause problems in JOVE, where I get some characters printing
on the wrong side of the screen, like a CR/LF is lost before printing
the next line.  I have had this problem with UW as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/18/89)

In article <544@wsu-cs.uucp>, jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh) writes:
>When I run dnet on the Sun
>through my dnet window on my Amiga, the FTERM comes up as anticipated
>but it never returns.  It just keeps passing packets endlessly.
>statdnet shows an incrementing garbage message count.

What version of SunOS are you using?  I have it working fine here
under SunOS 3.4 (me, use SunOS 4.0?  Are you kidding?) through a modem
connected directly to the sun.  Are you going through any
portselectors, muxes, etc?  You need a clear 8-bit data path...

>And the DNET.
>file in ~/.DNET shows a comment like: socket command not supported.

Is this what you did?

amon-re% ls -lg
total 2
srwxrwxrwx  1 tadguy   none            0 Jan 24 07:03 DNET.
-rw-rw-r--  1 tadguy   none          287 Jan 26 05:45 DNET.LOG
-rw-rw-r--  1 tadguy   none          174 Jan 24 07:03 dnet.servers
amon-re% cat DNET.
DNET.: Operation not supported on socket
amon-re%

The DNET. file is really a socket (notice the s in the filetype
column), and UNIX doesn't let you read/write directly to sockets like
this (the message you see is really from cat).  You should look in
DNET.LOG for errors, etc.  Also, make sure the paths in your
dnet.servers file are correct...

>Also, does anyone have a termcap for the Amiga...

I've been using this since October '86 with no problems.  Be sure to
use ``tset'' after changing your terminal type (it's a good idea to
put a tset in your .login).

zj|amiga|Amiga 1000:\
        :al=\E[L:bs:cd=\E[J:ce=\E[K:cl=^L:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:co#80:cr=^M:\
        :dc=\E[P:do=\E[B:kd=\EB:kl=\ED:kr=\EC:ku=\EA:li#25:nd=\E[C:\
        :sf=\E[S:sr=\E[T:up=\E[A:bw:am:so=\E[7m:se=\E[m:bl=^G:\
        :dl=\E[M:us=\E[4m:ue=\E[0m:ho=\E[H:is=\E[20l:

Please note that this is set for 80 columns and 25 rows!  This is what
I have since I use more rows.  You'll have to count your screen size
and change these values (co#xx and li#xx) as needed...

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (02/18/89)

From article <544@wsu-cs.uucp>, by jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh):

> I think I have installed DNET correctly between our Sun and Amiga
> but I seem to be experiencing a problem.  When I run dnet on the Sun
> through my dnet window on my Amiga, the FTERM comes up as anticipated
> but it never returns.  It just keeps passing packets endlessly.
> statdnet shows an incrementing garbage message count.  And the DNET.
> file in ~/.DNET shows a comment like: socket command not supported.
> (or something along those lines)

I've had almost the exact same problem. My setup is between BSD unix (4.3)
and my amiga. I get the same 'passing packets endlessly' but I dont
think I had 'socket command not supported'.

I need an Amiga TERMCAP too...anyone could mail me one if they felt the
need...thanks... :)

bob

--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (01/04/91)

I have dnet 2.10 installed on my Amiga (GVP 68030).  I run it.  The
modem allows me to do the usual ATDT commands (and I can see them
being echoed back by the modem so it appears on the screen).  But once
connection is made I can only type but I can't see anything being returned
to the screen.  Evidently what I type isn't correct either because I
was expecting a certain response from a command I typed to the host but
didn't get it.  I'm pretty sure the baud rate is correct.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

Jason Leigh
jal@cs.wayne.edu
--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.132514.8901@cs.wayne.edu> jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
> But once connection is made I can only type but I can't see anything
> being returned to the screen.  Evidently what I type isn't correct
> either because I was expecting a certain response from a command I
> typed to the host but didn't get it.  I'm pretty sure the baud rate
> is correct.

Your baud rate was correct until your modem issued a CONNECT message.
In your s:dnet.config file, there's a series of AUTA statements that
change the baud rate based on the CONNECT message.  The comment about
them being consulted only when the -a option is given is incorrect.

Since I only dial out, and always use the same speed, I just commented
out all the AUTA statements.  Check these statements in your s:dnet.config...

	...tad