[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore Educational Discount?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (01/03/91)

Does Commodore have any kind of discount for educational
students/staff like Apple does?

I'm thinking about getting an Amiga for Video tinkering, but I can't
swing full price.  May just have to tough it out on my Mac II.

Any help appreciated,

Jeff
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) (01/06/91)

In article <16188@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

> Does Commodore have any kind of discount for educational
> students/staff like Apple does?
>
> I'm thinking about getting an Amiga for Video tinkering, but I can't
> swing full price.  May just have to tough it out on my Mac II.
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Jeff
> --
> Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
> jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
> jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

There is an educational discount program for Amigas and peripherals which is
accessable to people in education (college students, professors, educatoional
institutes...) through authorized Amiga dealers.

I don't know the exact costs, I will post them in a day or two when I get the
official info from my friendly dealer, but here are the prics that I do know:

A500P - A500, 1Meg RAM, built-in 3.5" floppy drive and keyboard, RGB monitor,
        mouse, AmigaDOS 1.3, and AmigaVision - $699.
A500C(?)- Same as A500P (I think) but with additional external floppy drive,
          $759.
A2000 (basic model) 1Meg RAM, 2 (?) 3.5" floppy drives, RGB monitor, keyboard
      and mouse, AmigaDOS 1.3, AmigaVision, the usual expansion slots (CPU,
      video, AT/XT, and Amiga ZorroII's) - $1299
A2000HD - Same as above but with 1 less 3.5" floppy, and Quantum 50Meg HD
          included - $1599.

A2500 - I don't have as good an Idea of the full specs on this one, but there
        is 1Meg chip RAM, and either 2 or 4 megs of fast RAM on the A2630
        accelerator card ( 25 Mhz 68030 ), I think a 100Meg HD, 3.5" floppy,
        RGB monitor, and the good ol' 68000 backup CPU which you can boot to
        instead of the 68030. - $2599.
A3000/16 - 16Mhz 68030 CPU, keyboard, mouse, RGB monitor, 1 meg chip RAM
           1 meg fast RAM ( can be configured to 2 Megs Chip and 18(?) megs
           of fast ram) 50Meg HD, 3.5" floppy, AmigaDOS 2.0, AmigaVision -
           I think the price is either $1699 or $1899, can't remember.

there are 3 other A3000 models, a 25 MHz version with 50 Meg HD, a 25Mhz version
with 100 Meg HD, and son-to-be-released A3000UX which is an AmigaDOS/Unix box,
prices unknown to me at this time.

Oh, the A2500, and A3000 models come with the MC68881 or MC68882 math coproc.
depending upon models.

I'll post the exact specs in about 1-2 days for all to see.

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (01/07/91)

In article <1385@ewu.UUCP> mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) writes:

>A500P - A500, 1Meg RAM, built-in 3.5" floppy drive and keyboard, RGB monitor,
>        mouse, AmigaDOS 1.3, and AmigaVision - $699.
>A500C(?)- Same as A500P (I think) but with additional external floppy drive,
>          $759.

Just to nip this in the bud...  The ed. discount includes the
A500P as above, and the A500P/2 which simply includes a second
floppy drive.  The A500C is _not_ an ed. discount option;
rather, it is the 512K/old chipset low-end Amiga 500 model being
sold by Sears, WaldenSoftware and the like  (i.e., the
recipe-holding, checkbook-balancing Nintendo killer meant to
lead the next generation of videophilic children into the Amiga
market for good).  It comes with Textcraft, a Carmen Sandiego
game, and something else also, but does not include AMigavision.
At $499 a good buy...

>I'll post the exact specs in about 1-2 days for all to see.

Great!  Thanks.

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /