[comp.sys.amiga] ST-506 with 2090 on Amy 3000

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (Net Runner Mark V) (01/06/91)

	I'm hoping that someone from Commodore can answer this one for me...

	I have the A2090A controller and a Rodime 40M harddrive from my old
A2500/20. I was told that to put it in my A3000, I'd just have to pull the
autoboot ROMS and hook it up to the card normally.

	Now, to the best of my knowledge, this would work great except for one
extremely annoying problem. It seems that there isn't a second power connection
for the harddrive to be attached to. (There's one for the drive that's already
in there of the correct shape, but the only other thing that looks like a power
line in their is from the disk drive and that's the wrong size and shape
connector). I'd really like to use this drive if I could without having to
go out and get another.

	Well, guys, what am I to do? Is that power cable coming out of the
drive suitable for running the harddisk if I make (or buy) an adapter cable?
Please e-mail me, as I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with all the
news....

James D McIninch
Georgia Institute of Technology
Applied Biology
gt1619a@hydra.gatech.edu             "Now where did I put those lab rats?"

In article <19219@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (Net Runner Mark V) writes:

>	I'm hoping that someone from Commodore can answer this one for me...
>
>	I have the A2090A controller and a Rodime 40M harddrive from my old
>A2500/20. I was told that to put it in my A3000, I'd just have to pull the
>autoboot ROMS and hook it up to the card normally.

	Not so simple, I'm afraid.  You'll have to disable fast mem (nofastmem)
before calling binddrivers, and restrict the partitions on it to a mask of
0x00fffffe (and set BufMemType to whatever the value for chip is).  Of course,
the drive must be in expansion also.  This is all because the driver assumes
it can DMA to all of system memory - but of course Z-II is 24-bit addresses.
After binddrivers, you should be able to turn fast mem on again.

>	Now, to the best of my knowledge, this would work great except for one
>extremely annoying problem. It seems that there isn't a second power connection
>for the harddrive to be attached to. (There's one for the drive that's already
>in there of the correct shape, but the only other thing that looks like a power
>line in their is from the disk drive and that's the wrong size and shape
>connector). I'd really like to use this drive if I could without having to
>go out and get another.

	Go to the local electronics supply store (RS may do), and get a "Y"
power cable.  (To split one source into two connectors).  Unless the drive's
a power hog it should work (I have a setup like that in my A3000).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)