[comp.sys.amiga] VLT Help needed

hearth@Unify.Com (Donald S. Hearth) (12/28/90)

   I recently downloaded VLT from a BBS on recommendation from a number
   of people. It seemed to download OK, and I got no errors in the extract
   of it. When I try to run it, however, I get the error:

      INIT - cannot find ARP library

   Can somebody tell me what I have done wrong? Do I need something special
   to run this program?  Thanks in advance for any help.

					      Don Hearth
*  Donald S. Hearth        *   address: hearth@unify.com                  *
*  UNIFY Corporation       *                                              *
*  Sacramento, CA          *   Go 49ers, A's, and LA Kings!               *

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (12/29/90)

You need the ARP Library, which can be found on some Fish disk or another...
(sorry, can't remember the number). You can also, if you want, install the
ARP C directory replacement commands, which are enhanced over the standard
CBM ones, and smaller as well, or not. Lots of programs use the ARP library,
and you might as well have it in LIBS:.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

hearth@Unify.Com (Donald S. Hearth) writes:

>   I recently downloaded VLT from a BBS on recommendation from a number
>   of people. It seemed to download OK, and I got no errors in the extract
>   of it. When I try to run it, however, I get the error:

>      INIT - cannot find ARP library

>   Can somebody tell me what I have done wrong? Do I need something special
>   to run this program?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Not anything _you_ are doing wrong at all. Like the author of LZ, the
author of VLT seems to think you should have non-standard software on
your system to use the code. Not real bright.

"ARP" is the AmigaDOS Replacement Project, a cooperative PD code effort
that got off to a fair start, but died for lack of interest with the
code still buggy and the source unavailable to fix it up. It had the
advantage that the library and executables were small and did a few nice
things that AmigaDOS didn't, the _BIG_ disadvantage that they were
incompatible with the CLI script and wildcard formats. What the
complaint means is that you don't have a LIBS:arp.library. If you're
very brave, hunt down the latest version on a BBS. If you're very smart,
trash VLT and any other software that calls for it, instead.

AmigaOS has long passed the point where ARP is useful or safe.

Kent, the man from xanth.

swalton@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.163531.22293@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch
(Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Not anything _you_ are doing wrong at all. Like the author of LZ, the
>author of VLT seems to think you should have non-standard software on
>your system to use the code. Not real bright.

A bit harsh, Kent.  Basic VLT uses arp.library for only one purpose:
its file requester.  Yes, Willy should probably switch to the ASL
requester, but hasn't yet--as a heavy VLT user, I think the things
Willy has been fixing and improving have been much more important than
this minor change.

The other major use for arp.library under 2.0 is with
rexxarplib.library, which gives REXX users access to most of the (1.3)
Intuition functions, as well as the ARP file requester.

You should distinguish between arp.library and the ARP commands, I
think.

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.163531.22293@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>hearth@Unify.Com (Donald S. Hearth) writes:

>Not anything _you_ are doing wrong at all. Like the author of LZ, the
>author of VLT seems to think you should have non-standard software on
>your system to use the code. Not real bright.

        Calm down Kent. Look at when VLT was started. Arp was destined to be
a GOOD replacement for some of the ADOS, BCPL commands and provide resource
tracking and programmer niceities. (File requester etc...). Now the major
architect was Charlie Heath, who has been in the employ of CBM doing the
asl.library for 2.0. (and perhaps (re)writing some of the C: commands). Thus
the asl requester looks alot like arp :-). 2.0 DOES NOT need (or probably)
work well with ARP.

        Also you have to realize that Willy Langeveld is NOT a PD author, he
is a Physicist at SLAC employed by Stanford and the US Government. VLT was
designed to provide users at SLAC with a VT100 emulator for "regular" terminal
sessions and Tek support for hi-res graphical "scientific" purposes and TeX
dvi preview. VLT was SPECIFICALLY designed to provide and alternative for
Ambassador GL terminals (Thats where we get the function key gadgets.) As a
result VLT is FREE, and one can get the TeX'ed manual from the Goverment,
FREE as well.

        Now Willy uses Manx 3.6 (yep not 5.0d). After the next rev (~4.919) he
will goto Manx 5.0d or SAS 5.10a. This will probably be decided in January.
SAS is active on BIX while MANX is not, so the tip may go to SAS. He has
indicated that it will be "more" 2.0 compliant, though not a 2.0 exclusive.
Willy writes VLT for SLAC first and users right after that if possible. At
SLAC there are projects where the reasearchers are FORBIDDEN to have mass
storage on their terminals due to security restriction, so A500's are used.

   I will ask Willy tonite WHY and if possible WHAT arp is used for in VLT.

>"ARP" is the AmigaDOS Replacement Project, a cooperative PD code effort
>that got off to a fair start, but died for lack of interest with the
>code still buggy and the source unavailable to fix it up. It had the
>advantage that the library and executables were small and did a few nice
>things that AmigaDOS didn't, the _BIG_ disadvantage that they were
>incompatible with the CLI script and wildcard formats. What the
>complaint means is that you don't have a LIBS:arp.library. If you're
>very brave, hunt down the latest version on a BBS. If you're very smart,

   The latest version is 39.1 and you DONT have to use the C: commands
you can install just the arp.library. There should be a installation program
included that will guide you through the process

>trash VLT and any other software that calls for it, instead.

  Perhaps that should read "Try VLT out and if you find it or arp.library
causing problems remove them and get Handshake or Meshugena."

>AmigaOS has long passed the point where ARP is useful or safe.

  Perhaps.. But DEFINITELY for 2.0x

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>
                                   ^
         --------------------------|

Does this mean you will still be on USENET?

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

_Most_ PD software authors have real lives besides; I don't see how
Willy's job at SLAC makes him not a _real_ PD software author.

I know Geography is a weak subject for students these days, but Willy
and I are casual friends, and live about 20 miles apart. I've been in
his office, helping him move some hardware, and also helped him contact
some French correspondents about another software library, via USENet.
You can actually get email to him from here occasionally, if you're
clever and persistent.

All of which doesn't change the point at all; if you write PD software,
you either have control of all the accessories, and furnish them too, or
you write for the vanilla OS. I've lost count of how many people have
written to the net asking what this error was from one PD package or
another about a missing arp.library.

You shouldn't require other people's PD software to go along with yours
for several reasons:

1) You can't guarantee they have it in hand, unless you distribute it,
   and that causes upgrade control problems.
2) You can't control that it retains compatibility with your software
   through _its_ upgrades, what does your user do with version n+2
   which is critical to other operations when your code needs version
   n-3 and won't work with a later version?
3) You can't anticipate other conflicts you are going to cause your user
   if this fourth party software is installed -- if the arp.library has
   calls that interfere with the foo.library (they lock access to the third
   serial port differently, e.g.) from still a fifth party, that your user
   is already using, there is no comfortable way to put the software
   together.
4) Your intended user may simply hate the fourth party software, and refuse
   to entertain the thought of installing it along with yours.

Kent, the man from xanth.

monsoor@csusac.csus.edu (Matt Monsoor) (01/05/91)

I just received the latest copy of VLT from FredFish 410 (I think it's 410) and
it is asking for the kermit.library???  All the older VLT's have not ask for
this and it is not encluded on the FredFish disk??  Anyone have the same
problems or know where to find this library???

Thanks in advance,   Matt

|    Matthew G. Monsoor    |    UUPC:     {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!monsoor    |
|      (916) 278-6288      |    Internet:  monsoor@csusac.csus.edu            |
|  AT&T6386.UUPC |    {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!csuamiga!monsoor               |
|  Amiga.UUPC    |    {ucdavis|lll-crg)!csusac!csuamiga!amigactr!monsoor      |

walt@bcarh133.uucp (Walt Sullivan) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan4.234550.18235@csusac.csus.edu> monsoor@csusac.csus.edu (Matt Monsoor) writes:

   I just received the latest copy of VLT from FredFish 410 (I think it's 410) and
   it is asking for the kermit.library???  All the older VLT's have not ask for
   this and it is not encluded on the FredFish disk??  Anyone have the same
   problems or know where to find this library???

   Thanks in advance,   Matt

I got "xprkermit.library" from Fish disk 330.
--
Walt Sullivan
BITNET: walt@BNR.CA (work)