[comp.sys.amiga] 2.02 and dealers

RICK@QUCDNEE.BITNET (Rick Pim) (01/04/91)

> are bryce@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bryce Nesbitt)

>All dealers
>were sent 2.02; if they missed the mailing they can get a replacement from
>Commodore.

>Please install only from the Update disk.  The script on the disk patches
>startup-sequence and adds some files.  Note that due to a bug in "fixfonts"
>you must delete any empty directories in fonts: before using the update disk.

h'mmm. a quibble. perhaps this is true in the US, but certainly not
everywhere. i saw the 2.02 announcement, and told my dealer to expect it.
(after all, he has a 3000 too...) when nothing came, he contaced someone
at commodore canada. he didn't get anything like an official distribution;
he got three unlabelled disks: a kickstart, a workbench, and an extras.
instructions? documentation? hah. an "update" disk? no such animal.

Rick Pim                                            bitnet:rick@qucdnee
Department of Electrical Engineering         rick@qucdnee.ee.queensu.ca
Queen's University, Kingston                     (bitnet:rick@qucdnast)
(613) 545-6772                               (rick@bill.phy.queensu.ca)

masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) (01/04/91)

 I'm also curious about this update notice.  Yesterday I called up my C= dealer,
and surely they received 2.02 update floppy. I was told all I had to do is just
bring several blank floppies.

 That's okay. But I'm wondering that two weeks ago, the same guy told me that
I could get free ROM set by the end of Jan.  I thought that this new year
present from Commodore meant that ROMs which would both fix minor bugs and
relieve the assumed FAST RAM of my A3000.

 Does the free ROMs mean an another update (2.03?) or one of silly rumors going
around ?  And what is the improvement on the new release ? I would like to
appreciate your information.

- Masaru Sugai

manes@vger.nsu.edu (01/04/91)

In article <4697@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>  I'm also curious about this update notice.  Yesterday I called up my C= dealer,
> and surely they received 2.02 update floppy. I was told all I had to do is just
> bring several blank floppies.
>
>  That's okay. But I'm wondering that two weeks ago, the same guy told me that
> I could get free ROM set by the end of Jan.  I thought that this new year
> present from Commodore meant that ROMs which would both fix minor bugs and
> relieve the assumed FAST RAM of my A3000.

You should know by now that "release dates" are usually more of a wish then
a basis for reality.  Trust me, you don't want 2.02 burned into ROM.

>  Does the free ROMs mean an another update (2.03?) or one of silly rumors going
> around ?  And what is the improvement on the new release ? I would like to
> appreciate your information.

I would say that you can assume that there is another update in the works.

> - Masaru Sugai

Trust me, you only want ROMS when 2.0 is truly ready.  Not a moment
sooner.  I believe there is no one that wants 2.0 out and ready more
than Commodore.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/07/91)

In article <423.27843f67@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>In article <4697@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, masaru@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>Trust me, you only want ROMS when 2.0 is truly ready.  Not a moment
>sooner.  I believe there is no one that wants 2.0 out and ready more
>than Commodore.

I don't know whether I want it that much.  I was stuffing around with
the developer version (I love productivity!), and thought it seemed
rather slow.  So I multitasked with the game I am writing with nothing
else running, and compiled a 100k+ file of C code.  Results....
1.3 is 14% faster than 2.0.  And there were NO other tasks running and
I wasn't even touching the keyboard/mouse.  2.0 is noticibly slower.
The Amiga is moving out of the 7Mhz 68000 zone.....

BTW, the 2.0 is THAT good that the lower speed is worth it.

> -mark=

> | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
> | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
> |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"

Colin.