[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga TapeDrives

johnv@DIALix.oz.au (johnv) (01/05/91)

G'Day,
   I am after comments and feedback from anyone who is currently backing
up their HD to tape, SCSI, DAT, QIC format or anything else.

   What I would like to know is -:
1) What Make, Model Tape drive
2) Controller it is connected to, GVP, HardFrame, 2091 etc.
3) What software do you use to do the backup (QuarterBack, Homebrew etc)
4) Can you restore single files to other than the device you backed it up from,
   eg. restore a file from DH0: to RAM: to look at an old version.
5) Can you add more stuff to the tape you are using, or do you need several
   tapes to keep more then 1 generation of backups.
6) Any other experiences you would care to relate about setting it up,
   hardware problems, etc.

   I know this is a lot of questions, and I thank everybody who takes
the time to respond.  I will post a summary of answers received as their
must be quite a few people who are asking themselves the same questions.

John Verhoeven.  johnv@DIALix.oz.au
+61 9 478 1406.

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/08/91)

In article <711@DIALix.oz.au>, johnv@DIALix.oz.au (johnv) writes:
> G'Day,
>    I am after comments and feedback from anyone who is currently backing
> up their HD to tape, SCSI, DAT, QIC format or anything else.
>
>    What I would like to know is -:
> 1) What Make, Model Tape drive

Wangtek 5150S, 150MB SCSI 1/4" tape drive.

> 2) Controller it is connected to, GVP, HardFrame, 2091 etc.

MicroBotics HardFrame

> 3) What software do you use to do the backup (QuarterBack, Homebrew etc)

Homebrewed, but I'm working on a better one.

> 4) Can you restore single files to other than the device you backed it up from,
>    eg. restore a file from DH0: to RAM: to look at an old version.

Not with the current software I use.

> 5) Can you add more stuff to the tape you are using, or do you need several
>    tapes to keep more then 1 generation of backups.

Again, not with the current software.

> 6) Any other experiences you would care to relate about setting it up,
>    hardware problems, etc.

6a) Watch out for termination problems on the SCSI bus.
6b) Make sure the drive doesn't hang the bus if it's waiting for a tape to be
    inserted.
6c) Be careful of the ROMs on the drive (some have Sun ROMs, and they don't
    work real well on the HardFrame).
6d) Make sure the SCSI ID is set correctly.
6e) Ensure that the tape drive supports most if not all of the SCSI commands
    appropriate for tape devices.  Some don't.

>    I know this is a lot of questions, and I thank everybody who takes
> the time to respond.  I will post a summary of answers received as their
> must be quite a few people who are asking themselves the same questions.
>
> John Verhoeven.  johnv@DIALix.oz.au
> +61 9 478 1406.

Ain't no big thing.
[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                - Baby Herman in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"