[comp.sys.amiga] Dead Mouse. What to do?

vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) (01/06/91)

What's the best thing to do about a broken mouse? (besides yell & scream)

My left button just died.  Is there any point in trying to repair it?
Or should I just replace it?  If so, with what?  (i.e. what mouse is best?)

Thanks bunches,  I'm dead in the water till I get this fixed...
Chris Vaughn			| Hmmm... what to put here.....??
Junior in Computer Science	|
University of Kansas		|
vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu	|

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (01/07/91)

In article <27715.27864c18@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
(Chris Vaughn) writes:

>What's the best thing to do about a broken mouse? (besides yell & scream)
>
>My left button just died.  Is there any point in trying to repair it?
>Or should I just replace it?  If so, with what?  (i.e. what mouse is best?)
>
>Thanks bunches,  I'm dead in the water till I get this fixed...

     Sorry I can't help with mouse repairs (there are a number of
messages here that deal with that) but you're not completely "dead
in the water."  Remember that pressing the left-hand Alt and Amiga
keys simultaneously has the same effect as pressing the left mouse
button.  (Similarly, the right-hand Alt and Amiga keys can fake the
right mouse button.)  It might be kind of awkward, but it'll keep
you going until you get your mouse fixed.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"Perhaps I should have been more explicit as to what I meant by
'mutually agreeable.'"
  -- George Bush on setting a date for peace talks with Iraq
        (as quoted on the CBC news)

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (01/07/91)

re:  Dead mouse (left mouse button)

I had the same problem with my 'well-used' mouse.  I got another year out
of it by:

         a.  taking out the ball and gently cleaning the built up oil and
             guck off the metal rollers and reassembling it
         b.  opening up the mouse and using a piece of light card and
             masking tape to reduce the space between the contact
             and the plastic by the button

When that finally wasn't enough any more, after almost five years, I
bought a new mouse.  I got the GoldenIMAGE GI-500 (for my 1000) for about
$39.95.  Wish I'd done it sooner.  It's fast, comfortable and probably
better than the Commodore mouse was when it was new.

                                                    Julie Petersen

mjt@voodoo.UUCP (Jim Tallant) (01/08/91)

In article <27715.27864c18@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) writes:
>What's the best thing to do about a broken mouse? (besides yell & scream)
>
>My left button just died.  Is there any point in trying to repair it?
>Or should I just replace it?  If so, with what?  (i.e. what mouse is best?)

After going through two replacement (in addition to the original) Amiga mice
I finally gave up on them and picked up a rodent called the Jin Mouse.
Exellent piece of equipment.  Never had any problem with the ball refusing
to roll (which was a chronic problem with the C= mouse) and it has very good
switches in the buttons.  I'm told the switches are very easily replaced if
need be.  Nice feel too.  Highly recommended.

I think I paid about $49.95 for it at a local Software store.  May be able
to get a better deal via mail order.

Jim Tallant - BoGART Dweeb     |        "Many of life's failures are
mjt@voodoo.boeing.com          |         men who did not realize how
uunet!bcstec!voodoo!mjt        |         close they were to success
                               |         when they gave up"

Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com (01/08/91)

re: Dead mouse buttons:

I've twice brought mine back from a mouse-coma by cleaning and reseating
the contacts on the mousebuttons.  (I've had my A500 for 4 years now)
In one case, the cause of death was that constant use had slowly moved
the metal pad off center, and in the second, some sort of residue or
oxidation had built up on the contact.

Both times I replaced the cellophane that held the pad with plain old
transparent tape.  It's worked fine so far.

Lee
Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com