[comp.sys.amiga] lharc unix/amiga

jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (MacGyver) (12/31/90)

Hi,
   Does anyone use lharc on their unix system and then download to
their amiga?  I am currently using:

"LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa"
and
"-- Lharc --  v 1.21 Aug  8 1990    by Paolo Zibetti"
for the amiga.

I can compress things on the amiga and uncomress them in unixland
but the amiga version thinks the unix version gives corrupt headers.

Does anyone have this working?  (zoo works but every byte counts at 2400 baud)

anlhille@rose.ucs.indiana.edu (Joseph Hillenburg) (12/31/90)

In article <1658@ulowell.ulowell.edu>, jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (MacGyver) writes...

|Hi,
|   Does anyone use lharc on their unix system and then download to
|their amiga?  I am currently using:

|"LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa"
|and
|"-- Lharc --  v 1.21 Aug  8 1990    by Paolo Zibetti"
|for the amiga.
|
|I can compress things on the amiga and uncomress them in unixland
|but the amiga version thinks the unix version gives corrupt headers.

I got UNIX C-LHArc from cica.cica.indiana.edu and it won't handle Amiga files
correctly. Of course, it's obvious that the UNIX version is broken since the
Amiga version is proven comptible.

|Does anyone have this working?  (zoo works but every byte counts at 2400 baud)
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
|   //     Joseph Hillenburg, Secretary, Bloomington Amiga Users Group        |
| \X/  anlhille@ucs.indiana.edu                     anlhille@iurose.BITNET    |
|      "Have fun folks. It's the last time you'll be seeing this place"       |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/01/91)

In article <1658@ulowell.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (MacGyver) writes:

>Hi,
>   Does anyone use lharc on their unix system and then download to
>their amiga?  I am currently using:
>
>"LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa"
>and
>"-- Lharc --  v 1.21 Aug  8 1990    by Paolo Zibetti"
>for the amiga.

I have Lharc for UNIX V1.00 Copyright by Y.Tagawa and some other guy.  I got it
from one of the comp.sources groups last March (either .unix or .misc, I don't
remember which)

>I can compress things on the amiga and uncomress them in unixland
>but the amiga version thinks the unix version gives corrupt headers.
>
>Does anyone have this working?  (zoo works but every byte counts at 2400 baud)

V1.00 works fine both ways.  There is a bug fix, though.  Basically, just
comment out all the statements that use 'toupper'.  There should be a patch
by now that fixes that, but you never know.  You should be able to find it
at an ftp site that archives comp.sources.(misc|unix).

As an aside, is someone still posting the list of ftp sites that have Amiga
files?  The one I have is 8 months old.  Could someone mail me a recent one?
(If you see this after 1/2/91, disregard, please!  I don't need 1000 copies...)

Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
dave@cs.arizona.edu	| C statements, all different.

We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!  We want 2.0!

In article <1658@ulowell.ulowell.edu> jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (MacGyver) writes:

>Hi,
>   Does anyone use lharc on their unix system and then download to
>their amiga?  I am currently using:
>
>"LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa"
>and
>"-- Lharc --  v 1.21 Aug  8 1990    by Paolo Zibetti"
>for the amiga.

>I can compress things on the amiga and uncomress them in unixland
>but the amiga version thinks the unix version gives corrupt headers.

>Does anyone have this working?  (zoo works but every byte counts at 2400 baud)

Yes, there was a source patch posted to alt.sources to make a Unix lharc
identified as 1.02 create Amiga readable archives when given an "A"
modifier in the command string. I'm using it with complete success under
BSD 4.3. The archive compressed in Amiga readable .lzh format is about
60K bytes, so I don't want to put it up here, and it isn't really Amiga
software, so sending it to Tad isn't right, or really mine, so posting
it to one of the usual sources groups isn't right (although I did
retrofit the manual back into nroff input form from its plain ASCII
form).

Any suggestions where I should post this as a uuencoded .lzh file, or are
there few enough interested people that mailing it would be right?  I'm
pretty sure this file will unpack on your Unix system with your existing
lharc.

Kent, the man from xanth.

akcs.vladimer@point.UUCP (kevin kadow) (01/01/91)

Try this:

Pick a file on the UNIX.
Make a compressed copy of the file.
Send BOTH files to the AMIGA.
Try compressing the original file using the AMIGA compressor.

Now, you should have *TWO* different compressed versions of the file on
the amiga- one compressed by UNIX, one by the AMIGA....

So, you just compare the headers, and see if you can spot any MAJOR
differences in them... they should theoretically be nearly identical
(aside from Date/Time, and such)

Hope I've helped,
                   KK

paquette@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) (01/02/91)

In article <27805853-1970.2comp.amiga-1@point.UUCP> akcs.vladimer@point.UUCP (kevin kadow) writes:
>Try this:
>
>Pick a file on the UNIX.
>Make a compressed copy of the file.
>Send BOTH files to the AMIGA.
>Try compressing the original file using the AMIGA compressor.
>
>Now, you should have *TWO* different compressed versions of the file on
>the amiga- one compressed by UNIX, one by the AMIGA....
>
>So, you just compare the headers, and see if you can spot any MAJOR
>differences in them... they should theoretically be nearly identical
>(aside from Date/Time, and such)

  Not really. The UNIX Lharc (if compiled to do so) has a DIFFERENT header
the the Amiga Lharc. It adds the permission bits (rwxrwxrwx) and the uid/gid
of the file.
  There is a define that will make it Amiga compatible.

--
______________________________________/Through the darkness, the future past,
Trevor Paquette  ICBM:51'03"N/114'05"W|The magician longs to see.

paquette@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

>  Not really. The UNIX Lharc (if compiled to do so) has a DIFFERENT header
>the the Amiga Lharc. It adds the permission bits (rwxrwxrwx) and the uid/gid
>of the file.

>  There is a define that will make it Amiga compatible.

Almost.  There was a _patch_ posted to alt.sources that gives one of
the current Unix Lharc's (identified as version 1.02) the ability to
_also_ compress files readable on the Amiga, if an "A" modifier to
the "a" command is given.

Without the patch, you can use the "G"eneric modifier, but it gives
you MS-DOS all caps short file names and flat one level directories.
It _will_ make an archive readable on the Amiga that way, but it is a
royal pain if what you wanted to pack was a multilevel directory with
long, mixed case file names.

With the patch, that all works; I use it several times a day.

I've sent four packages of the whole program, packed to unpack with
an _existing_ lharc executable  (sadistic, huh? ;-) to folks who've
written and asked.  There doesn't seem to be an appropriate place to
post it, though.

Kent, the man from xanth.

parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Jeff Parker) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan2.071240.24163@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>paquette@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:
        [...]
>Almost.  There was a _patch_ posted to alt.sources that gives one of
>the current Unix Lharc's (identified as version 1.02) the ability to
>_also_ compress files readable on the Amiga, if an "A" modifier to
>the "a" command is given.

	[...]
>Without the patch, you can use the "G"eneric modifier, but it gives
>you MS-DOS all caps short file names and flat one level directories.
>It _will_ make an archive readable on the Amiga that way, but it is a
>royal pain if what you wanted to pack was a multilevel directory with
>long, mixed case file names.
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

I'm rather stumped at all the problems that people are having.  We are
running Ultrix 4.0 on our DEC box and have UNIX C Lharc v1.00 installed.
I have yet to have a problem compressing or decompressing using the
lharc or lz on the Amiga side.  I regularly go both ways (what a straight
line :) and have encountered no problems to date!

That includes making multilevel directory archives with long names.  In
fact, I prefer the simple options of the Unix version because IMHO it
does the `right thing'.  When I do want to make multilevel (usually), I
can simply say -
	lharc a foo bar/*
and I get the results I wanted.  Likewise it will also extract to
multilevel without having to ask for it.

BTW, yes I know about the alias command.  I already have some set up.

Thank you for your attention.
Signing off .....

Ingo.Wilken@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Ingo Wilken) (01/07/91)

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Yes, there was a source patch posted to alt.sources to make a Unix lharc
>identified as 1.02 create Amiga readable archives when given an "A"
>modifier in the command string. I'm using it with complete success under
>BSD 4.3. The archive compressed in Amiga readable .lzh format is about
>60K bytes, so I don't want to put it up here, and it isn't really Amiga

The source for unix lharc 1.02 and the amiga patch are available at
minnehaha.rhrk.uni-kl.de in /pub/amiga/beginner (don't know why they put it
there :-)) as lharc1.02.tar.Z and lhpatch.tar.Z.

				    Hope this helps
					 Ingo
--
Ingo Wilken, CS Student, Univ. of Oldenburg, W-Germany * IRC-Nickname: Nobody
----------------------+ Ingo.Wilken@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de

Ingo.Wilken@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Ingo Wilken) writes:

> The source for unix lharc 1.02 and the amiga patch are available at
> minnehaha.rhrk.uni-kl.de in /pub/amiga/beginner (don't know why they
> put it there :-)) as lharc1.02.tar.Z and lhpatch.tar.Z.

After a lot of problems getting mail through, I posted it in patched form,
and with a cleaned up man page restored to nroff format, to alt.sources
(twice; some blivet head forged a cancel of part of the first one).  It is
posted as a shar-ed, split, uuencoded, zoo-ed archive of source code and
documentation.  Grab all four of the parts labelled REPOST and hook it
back together in the obvious way.

I hope this helps folks get Amiga readable lharc archives built on their
BSD Unix boxes.  Grab it fast before the phantom forger strikes again.

Enjoy, I guess.

Kent, the man from xanth.
It would be nice if someone put this version up for ftp too; it helps a lot
to have an nroff compatible man page instead of just a flat ASCII one.