[comp.sys.amiga] ANSI C compiler?

lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) (01/05/91)

I am in need of an ANSI standard C compiler for my Amiga.  Are both Lattice and
Aztec currently ANSI standard?  If not, which one is if either?  Thanks much!
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (01/06/91)

In article <2073@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
>I am in need of an ANSI standard C compiler for my Amiga.  Are both Lattice and
>Aztec currently ANSI standard?  If not, which one is if either?  Thanks much!

Neither compiler is is 100% ANSI compatible, although Lattice (and I believe
Manx also) have ANSI compilers for MSDOS machines.  I hear that the upcoming
SAS C version 6.0 for the Amiga will be an ANSI compiler, with many of the
features of the MSDOS 6.0 version.

It's a pity Lattice/SAS discontinued development of the MSDOS C compiler,
which I use also.  It's a fine product.

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich   (alex@bilver.UUCP)
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

ben@servalan.uucp (Ben Mesander) (01/07/91)

>In article <2073@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp (Glamdring) writes:
>>I am in need of an ANSI standard C compiler for my Amiga.  Are both Lattice and
>>Aztec currently ANSI standard?  If not, which one is if either?  Thanks much!

If you need ANSI compliance *now*, and you have a bit of memory, say >2 meg,
you could use one of the GNU C ports to the amiga. This is a case of "compiler
in kit form", still. You need to track down other software to use with it,
like a linker.

I'm looking forward to SAS/C compliance to the ANSI standard. I've recently
changed my development procedure. I use SAS/C to debug my code, because
CPR is such an *excellent* debugger, but then I use GCC for the production
code. The optimizer for GCC produces code that works! In one case, GNU Chess,
I was able to produce a smaller executable with GCC than with SAS/C, even
though GCC was expanding simple functions inline instead of generating calls
to them. To be fair, the executable from SAS/C was done with the optimizer
off, but it generated an executable that didn't do anything if I turned it
on... For a chess program, speed is important.

ben@epmooch.UUCP

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann, SubOp) (01/08/91)

        In SAS/Lattice C 5.10  there is some sort of flag you can set so it
will conform to ANSI C standards.  It should be listed in the setoptions
program.
 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics           ***************************
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20  *       Dan Bachmann      *
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil  *  Raritan Valley College *
Internet: danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com   ***************************
  P-Link: DanB20        <-- I only read PLink once a mo. use Internet
U.S.Mail: 509 StonyBrook Drive, Bridgewater, NJ 08807