[comp.sys.amiga] GIF->IFF/HAM ???

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) (01/05/91)

OK, here's another request:

I need a utility to convert GIF format to IFF/HAM.  I have VIRTGIF, but the
Screen to IFF and Picture to IFF options on the menu do not work.  Is this
the property of a nonregistered copy (just got it)?  If I pay the $15, do I
get a fully working version?  Are there other ways to get this done?

Thanks.

--
  Shannon Lawson
  Senior, Computer Engineering

  Amiga Student on Campus Consultant
  Virginia Polytechnic Institute    INTERNET:  lawsons@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
    & State University

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (01/06/91)

In article <40800@nigel.ee.udel.edu> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) writes:

>OK, here's another request:
>
>I need a utility to convert GIF format to IFF/HAM.  I have VIRTGIF, but the
>Screen to IFF and Picture to IFF options on the menu do not work.  Is this
>the property of a nonregistered copy (just got it)?  If I pay the $15, do I
>get a fully working version?  Are there other ways to get this done?
>
>Thanks.

Yea, I have the unregistered copy too and if you send the dough it will convert
it. Does anyknow have experience with it? is it as painfully slow as the other
Gif to Iff converters Ive used?
And can someone tell me why Hamsharp Gurus my amiga 500 and why Hamgif just
makes the computer go black??

>--
>  Shannon Lawson
>  Senior, Computer Engineering
>  Harry Lynde Bradley Department of
>  Electrical Engineering
>
>  Amiga Student on Campus Consultant
>  Virginia Polytechnic Institute    INTERNET:  lawsons@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
>    & State University

The Best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec
<apologies to larry philips :) >
 o                             o   | Go Anyone vs. the Bills                 //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Buffalo's Most Wanted :-)             \X/
/>                             <\  | X Omega P
How long does it take an IBM service rep to change a light bulb?
Depends on how many bad ones he brings with him.

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.182116.20762@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:
>In article <40800@nigel.ee.udel.edu> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Shannon Lawson) writes:
>>
>>OK, here's another request:
>>
>>I need a utility to convert GIF format to IFF/HAM.  I have VIRTGIF, but the
>>Screen to IFF and Picture to IFF options on the menu do not work.  Is this
>>
>>Thanks.
>
>Yea, I have the unregistered copy too and if you send the dough it will convert
>it. Does anyknow have experience with it? is it as painfully slow as the other
>Gif to Iff converters Ive used?
>And can someone tell me why Hamsharp Gurus my amiga 500 and why Hamgif just
>makes the computer go black??
>
>>  Shannon Lawson

The reason why HamSharp Guru's is because it cannot handle converting
screens that are greater than 640x400. Generally all the GIF->IFF
converters are slow, I've never used VIRTGIF but if it's faster than
GIF Machine on Fred Fish 404? (somewhere around there !) I'd like to
know about it. Thanks.

Matt Crowd.

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.182116.20762@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
    md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:
>Generally all the GIF->IFF
>converters are slow, I've never used VIRTGIF but if it's faster than
>GIF Machine on Fred Fish 404? (somewhere around there !) I'd like to
>know about it. Thanks.

I use GIFMachine a lot.  After all, I wrote it.  You made reference to the
version on Fish #404 (might be #405, I forget).  That version requires
KickStart 2.0, so unless you're a developer you should be running on an
A3000.  I don't know about you, but mine will convert a 640x480 pic with
XCOMP and DITHER options in less than three minutes (no other load on the
system).  That's not too shabby.  It is true that on a 68000 it is terribly
slow.  Other convertors are faster, but then they probably don't give as
good an image.

In comparison to VirtGIF, I would say that VirtGIF is probably faster on a
68000 machine, and about the same speed on my A3000 (or even a little
slower, it takes longer than it ought to...).  However, the results you
will get from VirtGIF will be no where near the quality of GIFMachine (or a
number of other converters like HAMLAB or TAD/ADPro).

I hold the opinion that VirtGIF is HAMGIF (alias Giffy) that supports
virtual images with scrolling (as opposed to being limited to
320(or 640)x200(or 400) dimensions.  Others opinions will probably vary.

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (01/07/91)

Quoted from <1991Jan5.182116.20762@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> by md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo):
> And can someone tell me why Hamsharp Gurus my amiga 500 and why Hamgif just
> makes the computer go black??

    Do they crash for all .GIF pictures you try? Two possibilities are:

    1.  You have a corrupt .GIF file.
    2.  You have a RAM problem.

    Try HamLab. That can be made to use a disk for temporary storage,
    instead of RAM, if you happen to be short of the latter.

> << md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Buffalo's Most Wanted :-)             \X/
--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***     "Snake through the chaos with a smooth noodle map" - Devo       ***

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/08/91)

In article <caw.4499@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
>In article <1991Jan5.182116.20762@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>    md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus  Dolengo) writes:
>>Generally all the GIF->IFF
>>converters are slow, I've never used VIRTGIF but if it's faster than
>>GIF Machine on Fred Fish 404? (somewhere around there !) I'd like to
>>know about it. Thanks.
>
>I use GIFMachine a lot.  After all, I wrote it.  You made reference to the
>version on Fish #404 (might be #405, I forget).  That version requires
>KickStart 2.0, so unless you're a developer you should be running on an
>A3000.

Just how much work is it to make it work on a 1.3 system? If it's not
too much trouble, I could try to do it.

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

dave@exactus.UUCP (David Salas) (01/08/91)

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:

> I don't know about you, but mine will convert a 640x480 pic with
> XCOMP and DITHER options in less than three minutes (no other load on the
> system).  That's not too shabby.  It is true that on a 68000 it is terribly
> slow.  Other convertors are faster, but then they probably don't give as
> good an image.

I hate to tell you this, but HiJaak 2.01 does convert a similar GIF picture
in just about 10 seconds. This is on a 386/33Mhz though. I would need to
compare quality, but Hijaak does better output than most other GIF converters
I have tried (yup, haven't try yours yet, its been a while since I did
a GIF to IFF convertion on an Amiga).

Dave

| David Salas                           | Exactus   : David Salas         |
| President                             | Genie     : EXAC-DAVE           |
| Exactus Information Services          | UUCP      : exactus!dave        |
| (707) 524-2548 @ 2400 (8N1)           | Fax       : (707) 524-2546      |
| (707) 524-2553 @ 9600/1400 (V32/HST)  | Voice     : (707) 524-2547      |