[comp.sys.amiga] Monitor problems

dunne@mhuxi.UUCP (04/10/87)

I was sitting in front of my computer one night, when all of a sudden,
zzzzaaaaaapppppp!!! The screen went black, then came back a second later, but
completely out of focus. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a spike. Has anyone else
encountered this problem? Is it just a blown discrete component? Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-bob

ihnp4!mhuxi!dunne

mike@ames.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) (04/13/87)

In article <981@mhuxi.UUCP> dunne@mhuxi.UUCP writes:
>I was sitting in front of my computer one night, when all of a sudden,
>zzzzaaaaaapppppp!!! The screen went black, then came back a second later, but
>completely out of focus. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a spike. Has anyone else
>encountered this problem? Is it just a blown discrete component? Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.

There has apparently been many complaints about the screen jumping every
so-often, for no justifiable reason. One of the sysops for the First Amiga
Users Group BBS discovered that the cable going to his monitor was fraying
around the connector, and was shorting out on the connector. A little
black tape fixed it right up. This may/maynot be your problem, but you
might want to check.

--
				   *** mike (powered by M&Ms) smithwick ***

"every felt like life was a game, and
 someone gave you the wrong instruction book?"

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <981@mhuxi.UUCP> dunne@mhuxi.UUCP writes:
>I was sitting in front of my computer one night, when all of a sudden,
>zzzzaaaaaapppppp!!! The screen went black, then came back a second later, but
>completely out of focus. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a spike. Has anyone else
>encountered this problem? Is it just a blown discrete component? Any help
>would be greatly appreciated.

The focus voltage is determined by a voltage divider from the HV supply.  In
most new monitors, this is integrated with the flyback transformer assembly.

Chances are something shorted out in there and you will have to replace the
flyback assembly.  Not cheap, but not exactly the list price of the monitor
either...

cmiller@sunspot.UUCP (Charlie Miller) (07/21/88)

My Commodore 2002 monitor seems to be developing a problem and
I was curious if this might be the beginning of a common failure mode.
After warming up a while (15 minutes or so) it occasionally makes a
snap sound (like something discharging) and the screen flickers.
I've been to lazy to take the back off and investigate because it
doesn't happen often enough *yet*.  If this has happened to anyone
else or you might have an idea of what to check I would appreciate the
info.

-Charlie Miller	        Hung up waiting for a windy day...
USPS Mail:		National Solar Observatory, Sunspot, NM 88349
UUCP:			{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!sunspot!cmiller

ps. Has anyone formed comp.sys.amiga.Swedish yet?

mmdf@udel.UUCP (07/25/88)

In message <654@sunspot.edu> Charlie Miller says:

> My Commodore 2002 monitor seems to be developing a problem and
> I was curious if this might be the beginning of a common failure mode.
> After warming up a while (15 minutes or so) it occasionally makes a
> snap sound (like something discharging) and the screen flickers.
> I've been to lazy to take the back off and investigate because it
> doesn't happen often enough *yet*.  If this has happened to anyone
> else or you might have an idea of what to check I would appreciate the
> info.

Well, my monitor does exactly (and I mean EXACTLY!) the same thing.  I
have taken the back off and cleaned it out, but it still does it.  Also,
I have checked the cable and that didn't fix it.  Finally, I took the
monitor over to a friends house to check it out and it didn't have the
problem.  This leads me to believe that the problem is not in the
monitor, but somewhere else (unless when I transported it, it shook
something into place temporarily).  I have been comtemplating another
possibility and that is that the power supply for my A500 is bad and
sends bad things to my computer which in turn sends bad things to my
monitor.  And woilla! and snap, crackle and pop.

If you discover what the problem is, please let me know so that I can
fix my problem also.

                                    Shawn Clabough
                                    24847843@WSUVM1.BITNET
                                    Washington State University

mmdf@udel.UUCP (07/25/88)

From: Shawn Clabough <24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>

And Shawn Clabough <24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> replies:

> Well, my monitor does exactly (and I mean EXACTLY!) the same thing.  I
> have taken the back off and cleaned it out, but it still does it.

Hey, me too!  Mine has been doing it off and on for over a year now.
Usually the >SNAP!< just causes the picture to jump, so that the vertical
blanking bar becomes visible.  A few times it has caused a crash.  Once
(no kidding) it caused my printer to output a line feed!  Is my computer
trying to tell me something? :-)

I'd sure like to know how to cure this problem.  I'm afraid one of these
days it's gonna blow a chip.

--Bill Kinnersley
  IPHWK@MTSUNIX1.BITNET

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (07/26/88)

In article <3452@louie.udel.EDU> iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
>Hey, me too!  Mine has been doing it off and on for over a year now.
>Usually the >SNAP!< just causes the picture to jump, so that the vertical
>blanking bar becomes visible.  A few times it has caused a crash.  Once
>(no kidding) it caused my printer to output a line feed!  Is my computer
>trying to tell me something? :-)

It might be trying to tell you that your monitor is not properly grounded,
especially given the fact that Charlie Miller could not duplicate the problem
when using the system at someone else's house.  The most common source of
improper grounding is "cord hacking" to get the monitor's 3-prong plug to fit a
2-hole power socket, for example by plugging it into a 2-conductor extension
cord that doesn't have a tab to block the third prong.  Another common cause is
improper use of a 3- to 2-prong converter.  These have a 3-slot socket on one
side, and 2 prongs and a wire coming out the other side.  You plug the 2 prongs
into your 2-prong wall socket and attach the green wire to a good ground
(usually the screw that holds the outlet cover in place).  Often, grounding the
wire is neglected, or the outlet itself is not properly grounded and the
faceplate screw is not a good ground.  Try running the wire to more reliable
grounds; one almost sure bet is a drain- or radiator pipe.  If grounding has
been the cause of your trouble, you may find that the charge is discharged over
the ground instead of in the monitor circuitry.  Good luck.

Be seeing you...
 Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu     ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage..."
      -- Bill Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, I.v.19

griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (10/05/90)

I have a monitor that seems very warm blooded... When it gets real warm
ie. if I've used it for about 1/2 Hr - 45 min solid, it cuts out.  The
power light goes out, the screen goes dead, nothin, nada, zip.   After
it cools - it comes back - (BTW - this is an early 1080 - *geez* how long
have I had this thing?) anywho - I opened the back - got it to cut out
again (took longer, of course) - and I *think* I've narrowed the problem
to the board directly under the screen - but have been unable to determine
just what part it is - anybody have any OH!-I-know-what-that-is type flashes?

:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) (01/09/91)

Ok, hardware gurus, a question for you all:

My 1084 monitor has a habit of jiggling badly when the machine has been on
for a while. Games, term programs, Word Perfect, anything, it jumps up and
down so badly I can't look at it. It also fades in and out in brightness. It's
not severe, but it is noticeable.

Any possible answers on this?

.signed,
-----
Andy Patrizio            |  ARPA:     pyc136@uriacc.uri.edu
Class of 2010            |  Internet: pyc136%uriacc.bitnet@brownvm.brown.edu
University of RI         |  Usenet:   andypo@idsvax.ids.com
                         |  UUCP:     uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo
-----
"With friends like these, who needs hallucinations?" - Buddy, "Night Court"
-----