[comp.sys.amiga] Mouse Fix Summary

vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Chris Vaughn) (01/09/91)

I've gotten so many requests for this information that I'm just going to post
it here.  The only stuff in all this that I will probably use is the info about
the switches from DigiKey.

Chris Vaughn

So here's the stuff:

In comp.sys.amiga you write:

>What's the best thing to do about a broken mouse? (besides yell & scream)

>My left button just died.  Is there any point in trying to repair it?
>Or should I just replace it?  If so, with what?  (i.e. what mouse is best?)

>Thanks bunches,  I'm dead in the water till I get this fixed...
>--
>Chris Vaughn			| Hmmm... what to put here.....??
>Junior in Computer Science	|
>University of Kansas		|
>vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu	|

 Here is a reprint of Riyadth's mouse article:

From: riyadth@csusac.csus.edu (Riyadth Al-Kazily)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: How To: an inexpensive mouse upgrade/replacement
Date: 5 Feb 90 08:30:13 GMT

Inexpensive replacement Amiga mouse How-To

After having come across the specs for the Logitech P7 bus mouse, I made
the discovery that it's operation is exactly the same as described in
my Hardware Reference Manual for the standard Amiga mouse.  I happened
across a stash of P7 mice at HSC Electronic Supply in Santa Clara (see
address etc. at the end of this document).  Unfortunately the mice are
only the two button variety, but the price was right, and it is definitely
an improvement over my original mouse - real switches in the buttons even!

The mouse is your basic Logitech-type mouse, model number P7-2F-SI.  The
P7 is the type of mouse (Amiga compatible, bus style), the 2F means that
it has 2 buttons (I dont know what the F stands for, do any of you?).
The SI means that it was custom made for Systems Integrators.  The mouse
cord ends in a modular connector with 8 conductors.  In order to connect
it to the Amiga, a female DB9 must be connected, either by cutting the
modular plug off and soldering on the new connector, or (the way I did
it) by getting a modular DB9 adaptor, available at HSC.

With this particular mouse there is a slight electrical modification that
must be made for proper operation.  Actually, it is an un-modification,
as the mouse was modified for Systems Integrators' application.  There
is a trace on the mouse circuit board that has been cut and jumpered.  To
use the mouse on the Amiga, the jumper must be removed and the cut trace
restored to it's original route with another jumper.  Then all that remains
is to route the 8 conductors in the wire to the correct 8 pins on the
Amiga's mouse port.

The connections should go something as follows:

      Amiga pin #   function        P7 wire color
         1           V-pulse          brown
         2           H-pulse          grey
         3           VQ-pulse         green
         4           HQ-pulse         yellow
         5           middle           blue   (does not apply to this mouse)
         6           left             black
         7           +5v              white
         8           GND              pink
         9           right            clear

Note that the colors given may not be correct for all mice, so you may
want to open it up and check.  The following is a pseudo-diagram of
the circuit board with colors in their appropriate place:

      |      L-BUTTON                                    R-BUTTON
      |
      | (top row)   ___    (bottom row)
      |            /___
      |  white    o/___o-  brown
      |  green    o/___o-  yellow         LOGIMOUSE
      |  grey     o/___o-  pink                  P7
      |  blue     o/___o-  clear                REV D
      |  black    o/   o-  red  (shield gnd)

And finally, for the information on how to get this mouse.  Firstly, the
cost of the mouse was $7.95, and I was able to find one new in it's
original packing box, although many were out of the packaging.  The
address of HSC is as follows:

                HSC Electronic Supply
                3500 Ryder Street
                Santa Clara, CA  95051
                orders - (800) 4-HALTED
                 in CA - (408) 732-1573
                customer service - (408) 732-1854

Minimum order is $10 + shipping, $2 fee for orders under $20.
Don't forget to order DB9's and hoods if you need to bring your order
over $10, or order a couple for friends.

Have fun with the mouse.  Now if only I could find a 3 button P7
lying around...

 riyadth alkazily                        {ucdavis,lll-crg}!csusac!riyadth

From: nftcon@log-hb.se (Conny Ohstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: Re: A quadraplegic mouse!  :-)
Date: 5 Feb 90 15:40:44 GMT

If you can get your hands on a (cheap) SUN-mouse type 'm3'
then get it instead ! you just have to connect a 9 wires
between a female DB9 and a internal row of solder-blobs.

inside the sun-mouse: 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01
                       |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
female DB9:              02 07 08 04 03 01 06 05 09

if any have a solution how to connect a 'm4'-type of mouse, I
would be very intressed how to do it.

exit 0 ; ---
Conny Ohstrom,Televerket Farsta HK,farnebogatan 81-87, s-123 86 farsta,sweden
usenet: nftcon@log-hb.nynashamn.telelogic.se, phone: +46 8 713 40 31

--
exit 0 ; ---
Conny Ohstrom,Televerket Farsta HK,farnebogatan 81-87, s-123 86 farsta,sweden
usenet: nftcon@log-hb.nynashamn.telelogic.se, phone: +46 8 713 40 31

end of excerpts.

Good Luck!

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

  "Truly great madness can not be achieved
   without significant intelligence."  -Henrik Tikkanen

From:	IN%"utah-cs!esunix!lhoward@albion.utah.edu"  7-JAN-1991 09:18:26.65
To:	kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!vaughn@engin.umich.edu
CC:
Subj:	Mouse parts

Anyway, here's the info I told you I'ld send:

Digi-Key 1-800-344-4539, Fax 1-218-681-3380.
Panasonic Momentary pushbutton switches Part # P9950, Price: $.39/ea.

All you do is un-solder the 4 legs of the switch, and then re-solder the
new one in.  Nothing else is needed.

Hope this helps,
Larry

From:	IN%"poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com"  7-JAN-1991 14:05:09.71
To:	vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
CC:
Subj:	RE: Dead Mouse.  What to do?

It's a pretty easy job to replace the mouse button.  Soldering is
required, but it's easy soldering (no ICs to overheat or anything).
The hard part is finding a replacement switch.  I bought a
couple of these for less than $5 each from George Gibeau
(ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu) who bought a mess of them from somewhere.
Drop him an Email, maybe he has some left or can point you to a source.

I'd recommend going the repair route, unless you are really fed up
with that mouse and want a different one anyway.

By the way, as an emergency measure, I believe there is a keyboard
equivalent for generating a mouse click but I can't recall it exactly;
l-A/l-alt/something.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier   poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com

From:	IN%"wildcat!steve@alfalfa.com"  7-JAN-1991 16:25:39.12
To:	vaughn@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
CC:
Subj:	RE: Dead Mouse.  What to do?

>My left button just died.  Is there any point in trying to repair it?
>Or should I just replace it?  If so, with what?  (i.e. what mouse is best?)

Until you get a new mouse, pressing the left-alt and left-Amiga keys
will work just like the dead left button.
			-Steve Holland

   Steve Holland                    22 Forty Acres Dr,
   wildcat!steve@alphalpha.com      Wayland, Ma 01778
NOTE: "alphalpha.com" may soon change to "alfalfa.com"