[comp.sys.amiga] ArpShell Problem - Parameterexpansion

nick@uni-paderborn.de (Martin Koch) (01/07/91)

Hello Amigos,

I have a little problem with the Arp-Shell (ASH)

if I call a Shell-Skript with more than one parameter sometimes the
Parameters are not transferred correctly

 example: (test) with s-bit set

.key mod,name
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>
bla bla <mod> <name>

and now test aha oho

=>
bla bla aha oho
bla bla aha oho
bla bla aha oho
bla bla aha oho
bla bla ah oho         <----- error
bla bla aha oho
bla bla aha o          <----- error
bla bla aha oho

There is no error in the Shellskript (100 %).
Also the Ashell is installed correctly.
So were did I go wrong???

Bye ;-)
|---------------------------------------------------|
| Earth; planet         |Martin Koch                |
| "Mostly Harmless!"    |Alfred-Delp-Strasse 5      |
| The Hitchhiker's Guide|D-4787 Geseke 1  (Germany) |
| to the Galaxy         |02942/8249 (only weekend)  |
|---------------------------------------------------|
|       email to : nick@uni-paderborn.de            |
|---------------------------------------------------|
|     Amiga User Group University of Paderborn      |
|       Amiga ---  You can't beat the Feeling       |
|---------------------------------------------------|
|  Amiga:   TeX , C (Aztec V3.6a,DICE 2.05), ARexx  |
|               AmigaGuru - ChessGuru               |
|---------------------------------------------------|
--
Bye ;-)
|---------------------------------------------------|

david@dogmelb.dog.oz.au (David Le Blanc) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan7.111054.29570@uni-paderborn.de>, nick@uni-paderborn.de (Martin Koch) writes:
> Hello Amigos,
>
> I have a little problem with the Arp-Shell (ASH)
>
> if I call a Shell-Skript with more than one parameter sometimes the
> Parameters are not transferred correctly

Well, there you go. You have found the bug.

There is a well documented feature of the Arp execute and script handling.

It doesnt work!

So keep away, or get a commodore Execute in your C:
and alias execute to C:Execute

(or better yet)
Ares c:execute

The only way..

-- Flame Retardant : ON --

PS I didnt read the actual pages of drivel you supplied, so I may be
   completely and utterly wrong. Still, keep away from arp Execute, it
   *IS* broken.

-- Flame Retardant : OFF --

--
Email: david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz    |    Division of Geomechanics,
TEL.   (03) 881 1355                   |    CSIRO, P.O. Box 54

wfh58@leah.albany.edu (William F. Hammond) (01/09/91)

In article <142@dogmelb.dog.oz.au> david@dogmelb.dog.oz.au (David Le Blanc) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.111054.29570@uni-paderborn.de>, nick@uni-paderborn.de
>(Martin Koch) writes:

>> I have a little problem with the Arp-Shell (ASH)
>>
>> if I call a Shell-Skript with more than one parameter sometimes the
>> Parameters are not transferred correctly

>Well, there you go. You have found the bug.
>
>There is a well documented feature of the Arp execute and script handling.

This describes a symptom that I found with the version of ARP 1.3 "execute"
that I had from March, 1989 until August, 1989.  I received a corrected
version of "execute", several other ARP 1.3 commands including "mount", and
the Shell with the version 2.20 release of "TxEd Plus".  The current release
has had heavy use here.  I am aware of only one very small failing in the Shell
and a quirk with "list" in which if there is a named specific file (not a
directory) with no pattern tokens, the file does exist, and the "sort" switch
is set then the file will not be shown.  (But note that it is not "logical" to
use the "sort" switch when naming a specific file.)

The revised ARP 1.3 materials offer a substantial enhancement of the standard
1.3 shell interface.

Alas, the revised ARP 1.3 materials are not freely distributable.

>Email: david@dogmelb.dog@munnari.oz    |    Division of Geomechanics,

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet