From chm@think.com Tue Jan  8 15:55:00 1991
From: Christopher Marshall <chm@think.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:55:09 EST
To: nrashid@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Navruze Rashid)
Subject: Help with buying A3000

>>>>> On 8 Jan 91 03:04:03 GMT, nrashid@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Navruze
Rashid) said:

Navruze> Is it worth buying the A3000-25/100 with 5 megs and a 100 mb drive
Navruze> for an extra $400, or could I buy the cheaper version and upgrade
Navruze> the ram and memory for less?

You could probably do it for a little less $$$ and a lot more hassle
(unless you are so inclined to do the hacking and shopping yourself)

Navruze> Are all 5 meg memory 32 bit?

The A3000 _only_ has 32 bit memory.  That is one of the things that puts it
above the A2500.

Navruze> How much does 32-bit memory sell for, at the cheapest?

Don't know.  Look in the back of Byte magazine.

Navruze> Also, can I buy the A3000 and add the UNIX operating system later,
Navruze> or are there any hardware differences?

The only additional hardware needed for UNIX other than more disk space :-)
is a tape drive which will hook up to the SCSI port so you can get that
later.

Navruze> I would like to use the system with a Princeton Ultrasync monitor
Navruze> which I currently use with my A2000.  Is there any problem with
Navruze> doing this?

If your monitor will work with an A2000 + flickerfixer then it will work
with the A3000 in all of its available modes.

-Chris Marshall
 chm@think.com   /* My opinions and not those of my employer */

Thanks very much to all who replied.  (Yes, that means you can stop sending me
mail!) :-)  I have decided on the 100 MB A3000 which should tide me over until
UNIX is finally released! :-) :-)

Ruze

Dept. of Neuroscience
Rutgers University, Newark

PS: My next project is to interface it with the Iris-4D/80GT at work!  That
would be *so* much easier if it ran UNIX already! :-(  However, X11 will have
to do.

PPS:  Has anyone seen the new release of apE 2.0?  Amazing, isn't it?  Would you
be interested in working on porting it to the Amiga?  Send email if you would.
(This could be the subject of a future post.)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: re: Help with buying A3000
Expires:
Thank for all the replies!  I received many replies, most of which recommended
the A3000-25/100 (thats the 100 MB version) if I buy it on the educational
discount.  I have included a copy of the best-phrased reply, for others who
might have the same questions.

From chm@think.com Tue Jan  8 15:55:00 1991
From: Christopher Marshall <chm@think.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 91 15:55:09 EST

[...]