[comp.sys.amiga] Need MacROM to HD hack for AmaxII

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/06/91)

I know it exists, I saw it at a dealer's once.  AMax-II w/o the rom-card
attached running just fine.

I bought AMax-II.  I bought MacROMs.  I even bought a Fujitsu external
floppy drive.  Now I want the code to copy the roms to hard drive and
teach AMax to look for them in a file.

All pirate-flamers can look somewhere else. I'm legit and I'm tired
of having my desk eight feet from the wall and my keyboard in my lap.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

mykes@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan6.064703.27700@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>I know it exists, I saw it at a dealer's once.  AMax-II w/o the rom-card
>attached running just fine.
>
>I bought AMax-II.  I bought MacROMs.  I even bought a Fujitsu external
>floppy drive.  Now I want the code to copy the roms to hard drive and
>teach AMax to look for them in a file.
>
>All pirate-flamers can look somewhere else. I'm legit and I'm tired
>of having my desk eight feet from the wall and my keyboard in my lap.
>
>--
>J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
>Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120
>"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens ... or patriots.
>This is `one nation under God'." -- President George Bush to an AA reporter.

I bought Amax II and the ROMs also.  One of the first things I did was to
bring up the AMax launcher program under a debugger and what do you know,
they left symbols in to make pirating/hacking easier.  I did make a version
that wrote out the ROM image after it read it in and then hacked it again
to read in the disk file instead of getting the ROM data from the disk
drive port.  It works well, but I still need the hardware anyway.  I did not
bother to figure out why, because I am not interested in pirating the software
or the ROMs, just to make it load from hard disk (fast) instead of the disk
drive port (slow).  I will not assist any further and do not suggest piracy
of software, so good luck.  I do think it is interesting that the symbol hunk
was present in the file.

By the way, I understand that Apple no longer makes ROMs available so AMax II
is probably dead and will not be sold any longer.  Looks like Apple wants to
encourage people to pirate the ROMs from now on.  Considering I paid $150
for the ROMs, apple made a decent profit off of me.  And considering I have
NO interest in buying a piece of junk computer from a stuck up company like
apple, they are only hurting themselves.  You see, they can make $150 a pop
from lots of folks who would normally not buy anything from them by selling
the ROMs or they can make ZERO from folks like me who won't buy anything
else from them in any form.

good luck.

mykes