[comp.sys.amiga] Commercial Disk Copier and Archiver Woes

joem@nos850.UUCP (Joe Muller) (01/08/91)

  After having recently upgraded to a 2500/30 system, I went to make archive
backups of some games that came with the system only to find out that the
2500 refused to copy them (ie it spit it out all sorts of nasty errors).
Pessimistically I tried copying them on my 500 which is still lying around and
I had no problem.  I've already resigned to selling the programs that don't
work, but I don't want to go out and buy some new disk copier only to find out
it too doesn't work (neither do I want to keep my 500 handy just for backups!)
Here are a few of the copiers in question:
  X Copy v2.0
  Raw Copy v1.3 (this one blew up on me!)
Some of the originals I had trouble copying included games like DeathBringer
,TV Sports Basketball, and Wings by Cinemaware (never had trouble with them up
until now) and Joan of Arc: Seige and the Sword by Broderbund.

Anybody having any comments or suggestions please post them here.

Joe Muller

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (01/09/91)

In article <216@nos850.UUCP>, Joe Muller writes:

>   After having recently upgraded to a 2500/30 system, I went to make archive
> backups of some games that came with the system only to find out that the
> 2500 refused to copy them (ie it spit it out all sorts of nasty errors).

Can you turn off your 68030 board?

I found that my 2500/20 would not copy disks for me with Xcopy
2.0 or any other 'archival' utility, unless I rebooted in 68000
mode.

(To reboot into 68000 only, with a 2620 68020 card, you reset and
keep BOTH mouse buttons pressed down - you get a menu, and pick
'68000 mode' - I don't know if this is the same for a 2630, since
I've never seen a 2630!)

I upgraded to a GVP A3001, and had to wire a switch up to jumper
11 (don't take MY word for it, check your manual!) to be able to
fall back into 68000 mode.

Hope that answers your question.

>   X Copy v2.0
>   Raw Copy v1.3 (this one blew up on me!)
> Some of the originals I had trouble copying included games like DeathBringer
> ,TV Sports Basketball, and Wings by Cinemaware (never had trouble with them up
> until now) and Joan of Arc: Seige and the Sword by Broderbund.

Some of those games don't even work on an accellerated Amiga! :-)

Dac
--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac                     . .  I am.