[comp.sys.amiga] Sorry Guys, There is NO WAY!

scream@brahms.udel.edu (Darren Amato) (11/30/90)

I know that this topic has been hacked over and over again, And I'm not
one to "beat a dead horse" but,  There is NO WAY that the Amiga 3000 is
a better or more flexible computer than the Next.

I just came from a Next presentation on campus and WOW!

The only thing that the Amiga 3000 has over the new Next system is
color.

						scream

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (11/30/90)

In article <16321@brahms.udel.edu> scream@brahms.udel.edu (Darren Amato) writes:
>The only thing that the Amiga 3000 has over the new Next system is
>color.

And there is a new color board with 4 bits of alpha, 4 red, 4 green, and 4 blue,
so it even beats standard Amiga graphics modes.  I just saw a demo too. Wow.
	    -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (11/30/90)

Yeah.. they were here yesterday, and for about an hour I
sat down and played with one. I was ready to dump-o my 2000
and go NeXT. The things that can do is *OUTRAGSOUS!*

I really wish the Amiga could be made that sweete! (hint hint
							 dave haynie!)
The selectable items on the righthand side, the menus popping up
at the touch of a right mouse key (i know this can be done
				     with hacks and crap but I want it built
				     in)
The optical drive kicks *ASS* and the unix operating system directly
linking with applications is excellent. I was in Next's unix...
(which was sinply two next's hooked together for effect)
and I typed a wrong command that I thought would format text
or whatever.. and "Word Perfect" sprung up. Get it? It's
built in Next! is built into it's own Unix operating system.

I didn't notice any speeding Next's though.. Ithink these
were the (winpy) 68030 models.. if it was an '040 I wouldn't
have seen "Please Wait..." three times. It just woulda done it.

Lip service thru networking ROCKS - I thought this would be a
useless feature.. unil my mind stoped saying AMIGA! ONLY!
and thought about potential... it's really great having
everything so well organized.

And it's not that amiga cannot do this. I'd say that a 2000
is 50% of a next...a gvp 3001 board would bring it up
to 60%. Then you need unix, (good, not shotty) networking
both twisted and line LAN's, and Lip Service. The
flicker of Ami's applications must go bye-bye.. it
wont hack it. Postscript support in all programs, is
obviously a must - c'mon commodore - I thought we
were tops until THIS!

That'll bring it up to 90%... now SPEED and integration
of all packages will do it. I think their music and graphics
are on the same format.. (or if they're not... they should
			     have been .. I think it's a good idea)
Our Amiga's IFF format died centuries ago...We need a format
that explicedly allows for direct postcript printing. Yeesh...
Amiga was never Like Next.

The only thing I can thig of that my Amiga has over the Next is:
1) Price  - big schwoop... if you're gonna pay 2000 for a 2000
			   might as well pay 3000 for a next
2) Software - no comparison
			- I have 1,000 disks and there's
			  no way Next has more than 200 packages
			  (I have their book, I know)

3) I have an Optical Mouse, and they don't! Ha!

Also, their MIDI is shotty (worthless, morelikely)
but, at least once it's in there, it can be postscripted....

Also, the next can hook up to AppleTalk (3rd party boards..)
but...we cant, yet. Amiga is losing out. We *HAD* the edge in 1984.
What happening for the 1990's?

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		  jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu or jeremy@vax1.udel.edu

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (11/30/90)

In article <16321@brahms.udel.edu> scream@brahms.udel.edu (Darren Amato) writes:
>I know that this topic has been hacked over and over again, And I'm not
>one to "beat a dead horse" but,  There is NO WAY that the Amiga 3000 is
>a better or more flexible computer than the Next.
>
>I just came from a Next presentation on campus and WOW!
>
>The only thing that the Amiga 3000 has over the new Next system is
>color.
>

>						scream

Flame fodder :-) from the Amiga 3000UX "Short Take" in the Dec. Byte:
"...when you put it [an A3000UX] beside a NeXT or a Macintosh or a 386
workstation, the differences are in favor of the Amiga."

Personally, I think the NeXT's a really neat machine, with a lot of
good ideas that should be incorporated into the Amiga (many of which
have been in Kickstart 2.0 & Amiga Unix).  As to whether it is "better"
that's something that has to be decided by the purchaser.  For me,
I'd have to say that my A3000 is better because it satisfies my computing
needs better than a NeXT could, and at a lower cost.

Followups directed to alt.religion.computers, where they belong (well,
hopefully;  I've never redirected followups before, and I'm not 100%
sure that I got it right).

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (11/30/90)

In article <16321@brahms.udel.edu> scream@brahms.udel.edu (Darren Amato) writes:
>I know that this topic has been hacked over and over again, And I'm not
>one to "beat a dead horse" but,  There is NO WAY that the Amiga 3000 is
>a better or more flexible computer than the Next.
>
>I just came from a Next presentation on campus and WOW!
>
>The only thing that the Amiga 3000 has over the new Next system is
>color.
>

>						scream

  take a look at the Amiga 3000 ux.  A magazine article said it came with 8
megs of RAM, a 100 meg HD, Unix (real unix like the NeXT) a 25 Mhz 68030,
two C compilers and other stuff (I think a mono monitor) for $4000.

  The NeXT and the Amiga are definetly the top two in price performance.

--
  Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt
                                  |   and uncertainty."
  cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
  America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide

griff@anvil.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (11/30/90)

[ stuff deleted ]
>   take a look at the Amiga 3000 ux.  A magazine article said it came with 8
> megs of RAM, a 100 meg HD, Unix (real unix like the NeXT) a 25 Mhz 68030,
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No, Real UNIX -
you know, AT&T authorized - not Mach - a unix-like clone.  Mach is NOT UNIX!

> two C compilers and other stuff (I think a mono monitor) for $4000.
                                                                ^^^^^
gee, for that I can get 4 amiga systems (ok, they're 500's...:-)
or 2 Amiga Systems with a network.  Or 1 Amiga and a Cheap Car.....

>   The NeXT and the Amiga are definetly the top two in price performance.
    1. If Jobs ever decides to drop his prices.
    2. If Postscript interpeted screens ever start *really* screaming...

> --
>   Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas
of doubt
>                                   |   and uncertainty."
>   cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
>   America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide

:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) (12/01/90)

Yeah, but who wants to buy a NeXT with a 105M hard drive and have 80M of
that taken up with the operating system?  :)  At least that's what the
NeXT rep here said.
I have seen the NeXT (sans color), and now I would like to see A3000UX in
person.  My choice would probably still be Amiga.  Seen any NeXT ftp cites
lately?  :)

K W Smith, Jr.
The Charlottesvile Sector

|   "But it's only a toilet seat!"                       |
|   "Oh, no.  It is much more.  It is a means            |
|    to summon us!"                                      |
|                   -Quotes from Clive Barker's little   |
|                    known film: "LIDRAISER"             |

geff@iastate.edu (Underwood Geoffrey Dale) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.154227.10380@intelhf.hf.intel.com> griff@anvil.intel.com
	(Richard Griffith) writes:
>[ stuff deleted ]
>>   take a look at the Amiga 3000 ux.  A magazine article said it came with 8
>> megs of RAM, a 100 meg HD, Unix (real unix like the NeXT) a 25 Mhz 68030,
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No, Real UNIX -
>you know, AT&T authorized - not Mach - a unix-like clone.  Mach is NOT UNIX!
	Mach isn't UNIX, true.  In fact, it isn't _any_ operating system.
UNIX has a filesystem.  Mach does not.  Mach is _part_ of NeXT's UNIX, and
NeXT's whole UNIX does indeed use AT&T code.  If you really want to, you can
program the NeXT as if it were just another 68040 box running 4.3BSD.  Anybody
who does this is ignoring some of the main advantages of the NeXT, but it is
possible.

>> two C compilers and other stuff (I think a mono monitor) for $4000.
>                                                                ^^^^^
>gee, for that I can get 4 amiga systems (ok, they're 500's...:-)
	If an Amiga 500 can do the job, then it is wasteful to buy a NeXT.
If an Amiga 500 can do the job, then it is wasteful to buy an Amiga 3000.
If an Amiga 500 can do the job, then it is wasteful to buy a Cray Y-MP.
So what?  Has somebody claimed otherwise?

>>   The NeXT and the Amiga are definetly the top two in price performance.
>    1. If Jobs ever decides to drop his prices.
	Drop his prices?  If you compare list price to list price, or
educational discount to educational discount, the 68040 NeXTstation and the
68030 Amiga 3000 are already in the same range.  At some schools (and maybe
list price; I've forgotten the precise list prices), the NeXT is actually
_cheaper_!
>    2. If Postscript interpeted screens ever start *really* screaming...
	How much speed do you need?  If the NeXTdimension board's i860 isn't
fast enough for the task at hand, then neither is the Amiga's chipset.

>> --
>>   Collin Douglas                  |  "We demand rigidly defined areas
>of doubt
>>                                   |   and uncertainty."
>>   cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  |
>>   America Online:  CollinD        |   -Douglas Adams from Hitchhiker's Guide
>
>:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : iNTEL, Hillsboro Ore.
>:griff@anvil.hf.intel.com
>:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir
>:These are MY opinions, if iNTEL wanted them, They'd pay for `em!

		Geff Underwood
		geff@iastate.edu

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (12/01/90)

Don't forget the cost/performance ratio, in which the Amiga 3000 will
truly outshine the NeXT.  Oh, do a postscript laser file dump. What
your multitasking ability on that NeXT drop as it does all the
postcript internally.

And then there's the December '90 Byte article which says that
the 3000UX easily outperforms the Mac II, the NeXT, and a 386
at Unix.
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
"We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (12/01/90)

In article <16321@brahms.udel.edu> scream@brahms.udel.edu (Darren Amato) writes:
>I know that this topic has been hacked over and over again, And I'm not
>one to "beat a dead horse" but,  There is NO WAY that the Amiga 3000 is
>a better or more flexible computer than the Next.
>
>I just came from a Next presentation on campus and WOW!
>
>The only thing that the Amiga 3000 has over the new Next system is
>color.

Please don't consider this a flame.

Presentations are very different from actual work.  A NeXT owner
may well be similarly swayed by a skilled demonstrator showing
off
a high-end Amiga  (say, with the Toaster).  I agree, the NeXT
is a fascinating machine; lots of innovation.  But I'm not sure
what will become of it.  The OS takes up an unacceptable amount
of system bandwidth for many uses, though definitely not all or
even most, and the UNIX industry is standardizing.  SEveral
professionals have indicated preference for SVR4, which brought
up the names  Sun and (yes) Amiga.  And for non-UNIX
applications, AMigaDOS will scream--a lot less bandwidth gets
gobbled by the OS.  It does strike me ever so often that a
68030 Amiga can outrun the devil himself while a 68030 NeXT
limps along and says "just wait for the '040".

But by all means get what you like the most and can do best
with.  But one well-done presentation doesn't make the
machine.

--
----
Thom Cleland                      "It is easier

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.191229.4301@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:

>Yeah, but who wants to buy a NeXT with a 105M hard drive and have 80M of
>that taken up with the operating system?  :)  At least that's what the
>NeXT rep here said.

And that doesn't even include everything.  You need a bigger drive to
get everything that is included with the system, although I hardly
look at this as something bad....  I think it's good that they give
you so many goodies.

>I have seen the NeXT (sans color), and now I would like to see A3000UX in
>person.  My choice would probably still be Amiga.  Seen any NeXT ftp cites
>lately?  :)

Try cs.orst.edu.  They've got a whole slew of NeXT stuff there.

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (12/02/90)

Don't want to flame, I like all computers (grin). But don't you think you would
get bored of the NEXT's software real quick? I mean when I was younger, I
always loved to play LIFE at my aunts house. But when I got my own LIFE game,
after about 10 games, it was old.

From what I hear the NEXT software is a little limited at the time. Most of what
you can get comes with it? Remember, the vic 20 looked like a big leap over
the timex sinclair 2000. But both are dead machines now. haha.

Byron

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) in <25671@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>
writes:

	[...]
	And then there's the December '90 Byte article which says that
	the 3000UX easily outperforms the Mac II, the NeXT, and a 386
	at Unix.

This is NOT meant as a poke at John, it's just that his posting reminds me
of what I've seen too often:

When BYTE magazine either ignores or comments only "en passant" re: the Amiga,
BYTE is perceived by the Amiga community as being lower than whale turds.

When BYTE magazine publishes a noteworthy comment re: the Amiga, BYTE suddenly
becomes "THE WORD, THE TRUTH, THE GUIDING LIGHT TO ALL KNOWLEDGE."

You figure.   :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/03/90)

>> And then there's the December '90 Byte article which says that
>> the 3000UX easily outperforms the Mac II, the NeXT, and a 386 at Unix.
>
> This is NOT meant as a poke at John, it's just that his posting reminds
> me of what I've seen too often:  When BYTE magazine either ignores or
> comments only "en passant" re: the Amiga, BYTE is perceived by the Amiga
> community as being lower than whale turds.  When BYTE magazine publishes
> a noteworthy comment re: the Amiga, BYTE suddenly becomes "THE WORD,
> THE TRUTH, THE GUIDING LIGHT TO ALL KNOWLEDGE."  You figure.   :-)

Gee, I'm glad _you_ said that!  <hehe>  But yes, I betcha that a lot of
readers were thinking the very same thing.  It reminds me of another
computer fanatic quirk we all often see (and do). Does this look familiar?

Person #1: "Ah yes, I bought my XXX because it had this and that, which
 no other computer had at the time!  I sought out and found the hottest
 technology around, and that makes me smarter than most dudes."
Person #2: "Hey, have you heard about the YYY, which has those things
 plus it also has...."
Person #1: "Stop, stop! <clapping hands to ears>  I have too much invested
 in my XXX now to hear about other brands!  I refuse to listen, because
 my personal search for excellence ceased when I spent $$ on XXX."

(Ain't consumerism great? :-)  kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu (kevin)

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (12/03/90)

> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <25701@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>
>
> Org.  : UF CIS Department
> Person: John 'Vlad' Adams
>
> No poke taken.  I agree, there is a duality in the Amiga World vs. Byte.
> In that same Byte, the video section (especially pp. 289-290) completely
> ignores the Video Toaster.  I love them when they mention the Amiga, but
> hate them that they aren't consistant.  At least they mention the Amiga
> period compared to PC Week.
> --
> John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan! ///
> Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu ///
> "We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
> Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida) \X/

I stopped buying it; when I need to buy a PC Magazine, I buy anyone else's but
I consciously don't touch Blyte except for specific articles like their
announcement of the A3000 :-)
It's one small step for this man.  Cheers.

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (12/03/90)

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (12/03/90)

>	[...]
>	And then there's the December '90 Byte article which says that
>	the 3000UX easily outperforms the Mac II, the NeXT, and a 386
>	at Unix.
>
>When BYTE magazine either ignores or comments only "en passant" re: the Amiga,
>BYTE is perceived by the Amiga community as being lower than whale turds.
>
>When BYTE magazine publishes a noteworthy comment re: the Amiga, BYTE suddenly
>becomes "THE WORD, THE TRUTH, THE GUIDING LIGHT TO ALL KNOWLEDGE."
>
>You figure.   :-)

Figuring...

BYTE speaks for the _I_ndustry, no mystery why Amigaphiles crave
Amiga coverage within its pages.  Every word about the Amiga in
BYTE brings a little more discomfort to those who would happily
write the Amiga off as less than it is.  It's a good rag, I gues
I'd say that *when they say anything it is usually reasonably
fair and accurate*  (even if they bend over backwards to avoid
soiling their reputation in the prejudiced eyes of others).
It's the ignoring, the brushing-off that gets me.  If BYTGE
published an article critical of this or that Amiga product
that'd be great  (even if I disagreed).  The worst is being not
even considered significant.

So I guess I don't find the Amiga attitude towards BYTE too
contradictory.  BTW, the word and the truth was revealed in
December's BYTE, page 132...   ;^)

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Delighted.

--
----
Thom Cleland                      "It is easier
tcleland@ucsd.edu                  to get forgiveness
Amiga User's Group at UCSD         than permission"

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/04/90)

Several people have mentioned the Byte article which compared the Amiga
favorably to the NeXT in terms of performance.  I chatted with Ben Smith,
the author of the article, on BIX and he admits that he was comparing the
yet-to-be-released Amiga 3000ux with the out-of-production 030 NeXTs.
The article was very misleading in that it gave the impression that he
was talking about the 030 and 040 NeXTs.  But he was not.

At any rate, the new 040 NeXTs have started shipping and the machine is
damn fast.  It is in an entirely different class, performance-wise, than
the Amiga 3000ux.

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John "Vlad" Adams" writes:
>Don't forget the cost/performance, in which the Amiga 3000 will truly
>outshine the NeXT.

I assume you refer to the Amiga 3000ux.  It has not yet been released and
cannot hold a candle to the already-shipping 040 NeXTs in terms of
price/performance.

An Amiga 3000ux will crank out 5 Mips.  The 040 NeXTs crank out 15-20 Mips
(both sets of figures are from Motorola).  The 040 NeXTs do nearly 3 MFLOPS,
the floating point coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux will be lucky to approach
1 MFLOP.  {

As for issues like PostScript overhead.  PostScript is floating-point intensive
and this issue has been well-addressed by the large improvement in FPU
speed.  Printing also has been assigned a lower priority as a background
task on the new NeXTs.

The $4000 price quoted in Byte for the Amiga 3000ux is apparently for
developers/educational buyers from what I can gather from other threads in
this newsgroup.  A new NeXT will cost a developer $3500 and an educational
buyer $3000-$3500.

In <21929@well.sf.ca.us>, yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>Several people have mentioned the Byte article which compared the Amiga
>favorably to the NeXT in terms of performance.  I chatted with Ben Smith,
>the author of the article, on BIX and he admits that he was comparing the
>yet-to-be-released Amiga 3000ux with the out-of-production 030 NeXTs.
>The article was very misleading in that it gave the impression that he
>was talking about the 030 and 040 NeXTs.  But he was not.

I certainly didn't get that impression. As far as I knew, there was ONLY a
68030 NeXT, and a soon to be released NexTStation.  There was nothing in the
article to indicate that the comparison was to anything but a NeXT.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

In article <21930@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John "Vlad" Adams" writes:
>>Don't forget the cost/performance, in which the Amiga 3000 will truly
>>outshine the NeXT.
>
>I assume you refer to the Amiga 3000ux.  It has not yet been released and
>cannot hold a candle to the already-shipping 040 NeXTs in terms of
>price/performance.
>
>An Amiga 3000ux will crank out 5 Mips.  The 040 NeXTs crank out 15-20 Mips
>(both sets of figures are from Motorola).  The 040 NeXTs do nearly 3 MFLOPS,
>the floating point coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux will be lucky to approach
>1 MFLOP.  {

	This comparison is very silly. You know as well as I do
that a 68040 board for the A3000 will be out almost as soon as
NeXT machines get into full production. Both NeXT and Commodore
(and I think PP&S) are waiting for Motorola to catch up in
shipments. Yes, NeXT will be getting priority, but NeXT isn't
ordering all that many either.

>As for issues like PostScript overhead.  PostScript is floating-point intensive
>and this issue has been well-addressed by the large improvement in FPU
>speed.  Printing also has been assigned a lower priority as a background
>task on the new NeXTs.

	That doesn't fix the problem. Its just a trade off. So
the computer doesn't slow down as much but the job takes longer
to print. Besides, you could've done that before as well, with a
little knowledge of Unix.

>The $4000 price quoted in Byte for the Amiga 3000ux is apparently for
>developers/educational buyers from what I can gather from other threads in
>this newsgroup.  A new NeXT will cost a developer $3500 and an educational
>buyer $3000-$3500.

	It is true that the NeXT has everyone beat in terms of
price.

	-- Ethan

	Woody Allen on Los Angeles:

	"I mean, who would want to live in a place where the only
cultural advantage is that you can turn right on a red light?"

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) (12/04/90)

In a recent comp.sys.amiga.whatever article, a non-.sig-using entity from the
"Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link" states::
>An Amiga 3000ux will crank out 5 Mips.  The 040 NeXTs crank out 15-20 Mips
>(both sets of figures are from Motorola).  The 040 NeXTs do nearly 3 MFLOPS,
>the floating point coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux will be luck to approach
>1 MFLOP.

I almost feel bad about getting in to this obvious "my-computer-beats-your-
computer" thread, but not quite.  (I don't feel bad enough about it not to get
in to it)
	You say that the 3000ux will "crank out 5 mips", then say the 040 NeXT
will "crank out 15-20".  Figures courtesy of Motorola, you say.  I have no
reason to doubt you, so I won't say anything about that, except for being
interested in how such an answer was arrived at.
	I do, however, take exception to the assertions concerning the
MFLOPS of both machines.  "nearly 3" and "will be lucky to approach 1" isn't
precise enough for this arguement.  They suggest that you don't know for sure,
you're just pulling out some numbers which sound nice.  Don't post something
you can't quote with better references, especially if you're knocking a
computer in its' home newsgroup.  You're going to get flamed.  Now, if you'd
post real numbers along with their sources, that wouldn't be quite so bad....

-- Frank McPherson                  INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (12/04/90)

In article <21929@well.sf.ca.us>, yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) says:
> [how the '040 NeXTs are stupendously faster than an A3000]

Please note that the A3000 uses a 68030 chip, while the NeXT uses the
(still-in-debugging-phase) 68040 chip; therefore by definition the
NeXT is faster. It's like comparing a 68020-equipped Amiga to one
with a stock 68000. If you were to drop the 68040 into an Amiga
it would very likely leave the new NeXT in the dust.

Commodore might know how such an experiment would turn out,
but they're not telling... Personally, I wouldn't be surprised
to see an A3000/40 debut in the next few months.

"NeXT is Lisa spelled sideways." -- The Bandito
/Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu\
|DISCLAIMER? You've GOT to be kidding, right?           ||   // AMIGA   ||  |
|   "Haven't they heard we won the war?                 || \X/  Power   ||  |
\== "What do they keep on fighting for?" -- B. Joel, LENINGRAD =============/

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/04/90)

This is a pre-emptive posting.  I've received some e-mail since I posted
the fact that the Amiga 3000ux does not match the performance of the new
NeXTs and I want to address the major point made in that e-mail before
people begin posting the same stuff here.

People complained that it is not fair to compare a an 040 NeXT to an 030
Amiga 3000ux.  I agree, but not for the reason you may think.  The comparison
is not fair because the Amiga 3000ux is vaporware, while the 040 NeXTs have
shipped.  Thus, a NeXT is available today that is much faster than a
promised, but not yet even announced, Amiga 3000ux (if we're to believe
what Motorola says about the comparative speeds of their 030 and 040s).

Yes, there will eventually be an 040 Amiga.  But at what price and when?
Kind of seems senseless speculating about this when we don't even know the
retail price and release date of the 030 Amiga 3000ux!
.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/04/90)

kws1x@dale.acc.virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith, Jr.):
>Yeah, but who wants to buy a NeXT with a 105 MB hard drive and have 80M
>of that taken up with the operating system?  :)

Good thing you put the smiley there.  The NeXT operating system takes 30-40
MB.  You get another 40 MB of free software, much of it commercial quality,
on the 105 MB disk.  If you buy the 340 MB hard disk version, you get nearly
200 MB of bundled software.  This software includes WriteNow, Mathematica,
Interface Builder (the BEST reason to buy a NeXT), TeX, multimedia Mail,
Digital Librarian, Webster, DataViz/Bridge, etc.   If you order a NeXT or
an 040 upgrade before the end of the year, you also get a free copy of
Lotus's Improv, an amazing spreadsheet (see October Byte).

Now, how much free software (excluding the OS) comes on an Amiga hard disk?

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) (12/04/90)

Once again, the gentleman from the Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link has something
to say:
>the comparison is not fair because the Amiga 3000ux is vaporware

I'm sorry, but that's not true.  I'm typing this on one.

-- Frank McPherson                  INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (12/05/90)

Compare NeXTs to Amigas, fine.  Don't compare 030 machines to
040 machines and expect to be surprised.  Amiga 3000UXs beat on
68030 NeXTs.  68040 NeXTs beat on 68030 Amigas.

What one forgets is that the Amiga 3000 is all ready to accept
the 040.  It is my understanding that the A3000 was designed
to optimize the 68040, and the '030 is there mainly because it
exists and the 68040 didn't.  Regardless, there are three 040
boards ready to plug and play and a motherboard 040 will not
be far behind, for Amiga.

Then compare 040 Amiga 3000UXs to 040 NeXTs, and see which ahs
an advantage.  Anything else is kinda stupid.  Recognized:  if
you can get an 040 NeXT in your local grocer's today, then NeXT
has the advantage in release date.

This is the wrong place to be attempting to "snow" people by
insinuating that Amigas are toys and NeXTs are machines right
off the bridge of Star Trek.  Not only is c.s.a. a relatively
computer-literate and well-informed newsgroup, we also know
quite a bit about the Amiga.

IMHO...

Thom

--
----

In article <21941@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>People complained that it is not fair to compare a an 040 NeXT to an 030
>Amiga 3000ux.  I agree, but not for the reason you may think.  The comparison
>is not fair because the Amiga 3000ux is vaporware, while the 040 NeXTs have
>shipped.  Thus, a NeXT is available today that is much faster than a
>promised, but not yet even announced, Amiga 3000ux (if we're to believe
>what Motorola says about the comparative speeds of their 030 and 040s).

Incorrect.  I still cannot order a 68040 NeXT at my local
computer dealer  (U. bookstore).  I assume they won't be long,
as the 68040 has just this week begun to ship.  I wonder how a
68040 machine could be shipping when teh 68040 itself was not?

The 3000UX is not quite vaporware.  It is only available at
present to universities, developers, and corporations under
special auspices.  It's formal announcement and general
availability is pending, this is true.

I've said before "hurrah for NeXT for being first to ship 040s
and hurrah for being blasphemously cheap in its attempt to gain
a habitable market share."  But the window of time we are
discussing is not really significant for the Unix market--if it
takes two more months for something that suits ones needs
significantly more, they'll wait.  Six months, probably not.

IMHO...

--
----

In article <21945@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>kws1x@dale.acc.virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith, Jr.):
>>Yeah, but who wants to buy a NeXT with a 105 MB hard drive and have 80M
>>of that taken up with the operating system?  :)
>
>Good thing you put the smiley there.  The NeXT operating system takes 30-40
>MB.  You get another 40 MB of free software, much of it commercial quality,
>on the 105 MB disk.  If you buy the 340 MB hard disk version, you get nearly
>200 MB of bundled software.  This software includes WriteNow, Mathematica,
>Interface Builder (the BEST reason to buy a NeXT), TeX, multimedia Mail,
>Digital Librarian, Webster, DataViz/Bridge, etc.   If you order a NeXT or
>an 040 upgrade before the end of the year, you also get a free copy of
>Lotus's Improv, an amazing spreadsheet (see October Byte).
>
>Now, how much free software (excluding the OS) comes on an Amiga hard disk?

Actually, the word over here is that the slab isn't going to be
shipping with so much software included.  Mathematica is
supposed to be gone, for instance.  I'll check up on this and
report to the net  (just for the sake of our comrades'
veracity...   :^))

--
----

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/05/90)

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) writes:
>In a recent comp.sys.amiga.whatever article, a non-.sig-using entity from the
>"Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link" states::
>>An Amiga 3000ux will crank out 5 Mips.  The 040 NeXTs crank out 15-20 Mips

Don't have a sig yet.  But I have a name, its Young-Kyu Yoo.

>	You say that the 3000ux will "crank out 5 mips", then say the 040 NeXT
>will "crank out 15-20".  Figures courtesy of Motorola, you say.  I have no
>reason to doubt you, so I won't say anything about that, except for being
>interested in how such an answer was arrived at.

Don't ask me.  I let the big boys do the benchmarks.  At any rate, those are
Motorola figures.  And several Unix experts have done their own benchmarks
(check out the NeXT newsgroup for details) and they confirm that the 040 is
three to four times faster than the 030.

>	I do, however, take exception to the assertions concerning the
>MFLOPS of both machines.  "nearly 3" and "will be lucky to approach 1" isn't
>precise enough for this arguement.  They suggest that you don't know for sure,
>you're just pulling out some numbers which sound nice.  Don't post something
>you can't quote with better references, especially if you're knocking a
>computer in its' home newsgroup.  You're going to get flamed.  Now, if you'd
>post real numbers along with their sources, that wouldn't be quite so bad....

I didn't want to bore you with the details.  Motorola claims 2.8 MFLOPs for
their FPU (which is built into the main processor).  Home-grown benchmarks
done by several in the NeXT newsgroup get numbers from 2.5 to 3.3 MFLOPs.

I assume the math coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux is Motorola's 68882.
68882 performs at less than 1 Mip.  If you have any info to contradict this,
please state it.

My question:  Why attack my numbers without numbers of your own?

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (12/05/90)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>When BYTE magazine either ignores or comments only "en passant" re: the Amiga,
>BYTE is perceived by the Amiga community as being lower than whale turds.

>When BYTE magazine publishes a noteworthy comment re: the Amiga, BYTE suddenly
>becomes "THE WORD, THE TRUTH, THE GUIDING LIGHT TO ALL KNOWLEDGE."

>You figure.   :-)

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Perhaps it is because when BYTE does mention amiga it is considered SPECIAL.

Byron

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/05/90)

To all those who have said that the NeXT software selection is limited.
Get a NeXT. You will be pleasantly surprised at what's already out there
in terms of software, both commercial and freeware/shareware.  There are
already more than a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT software.  The ones at
Purdue, Oregon State, and Maryland seem to be the most popular.

What is there already for the NeXT is already some of best in category
across all comparable hardware platforms.  NeXT software often surpasses
Mac software in ease-of-use and is simply more powerful than Mac, PC, or
current Amiga software (it's amazing what a software developer will do
when he knows that the minimum hardware configuration he needs to support
is 8 MB RAM, plus virtual memory, and at many more megabytes of hard disk
space.).

The future of NeXT software is very bright.  Revolutionary product like
Lotus's Improv (check out October Byte) are coming out.  And the NeXT is
a software developer's dream in terms of ease-of-programming, the
capability to build incredible interfaces, and speed of programming.

Please don't feel obliged to flame me for this all-NeXT posting.  I am
merely responding to several anti-NeXT postings on these very issues
in this thread.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/05/90)

>I wouldn't be surprised to see an A3000/40 debut in the next few months.

Don't jump the gun.  The A3000/30 hasn't officialy debuted yet. Yes, the
machine is available to education buyers/developers.  But they haven't
finished the OS yet.

The other question is what price for power?  The NeXT gives you the 040,
plus everything else, for $3000-$3500 if you're a educational buyer.
Commodore promises an 030 Amiga 3000ux for $4000 to students.  Do you
really believe that Commodore will give you an 040 Amiga for the same
price??

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (12/05/90)

In article <21968@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) writes:
>>	You say that the 3000ux will "crank out 5 mips", then say the 040 NeXT
>>will "crank out 15-20".  Figures courtesy of Motorola, you say.  I have no
>>reason to doubt you, so I won't say anything about that, except for being
>>interested in how such an answer was arrived at.

These were probably dhrystone 2.1 derived results.  A bad indicator of
speed at best.

>>	I do, however, take exception to the assertions concerning the
>>MFLOPS of both machines.  "nearly 3" and "will be lucky to approach 1" isn't
>>precise enough for this arguement.  They suggest that you don't know for sure,
>>you're just pulling out some numbers which sound nice.  Don't post something

Nope.  This is pretty much accurate.  Running things like ray-traces, FFTs,
etc, as well as some of my own code, as well as the usual LINPACKs, Livermore
Loops, etc indicates that the 040 ranges from 2.5 MFLOPs to 3.9 MFLOPs.
The 882 at 25 MHz, on the other hand, gives figures from 0.075 MFLOPs to
.453 MFLOPs.  Even in primitive multiply/divide loops, I've been unable to
beat .5 MFLOPs on an 882.  All of this depends on the instruction mix that is
used.  With lots of transcendental stuff, the perf on both chips goes way
down.  With just arithmetic, the results are higher.

>I assume the math coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux is Motorola's 68882.
>68882 performs at less than 1 Mip.  If you have any info to contradict this,

I'll guarantee you that the 882 is less than one MIP :)  It is also less
than .5 MFLOPs at 25 MHz.  I haven't had the opportunity to benchmark a
50 MHz 882, but maybe later on today.

			See ya, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (12/06/90)

<
< At any rate, the new 040 NeXTs have started shipping and the machine is
< damn fast.  It is in an entirely different class, performance-wise, than
< the Amiga 3000ux.

While this may very well be true, it does not belong in this newsgroup.
A quick scan of the Newsgroups: line indicates that this is
comp.sys.amiga, not comp.sys.next or alt.religion.computers.  The
argument that this discussion is 'important' or 'productive' is
non sequitur.

The purpose of this newsgroup is the discussion of the Amiga and its
uses.  It is not a forum for people to ridicule Amiga owners for
lacking the foresight to abandon their Amigas in favor of the NeXT, or
any other brand of computer.  If you wish to discuss the relative
strengths and weaknesses of the NeXT, then please do so, but do it in
comp.sys.next.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  |  //__--\O/--__\\    nI' yIyIn 'ej yIchep.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (12/06/90)

In article <25671@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>Don't forget the cost/performance ratio, in which the Amiga 3000 will
>truly outshine the NeXT.  Oh, do a postscript laser file dump. What
>your multitasking ability on that NeXT drop as it does all the
>postcript internally.
>
>And then there's the December '90 Byte article which says that
>the 3000UX easily outperforms the Mac II, the NeXT, and a 386
>at Unix.

For all you people that don't know.

1.  NeXT does have real Unix, it uses a Mach kernal, AT&T Unix, BSD
    extensions.

2.  I have seen a NeXTstation.  It is fast.  No way can a '030 machine
    outperform a '040 machine.  The NeXTstation is equivalent Sparc 1+.
    The '030 Amiga is not.  No matter what Byte says.  The performance
    of the 25mHz '040 is at least 2 to 3 times that of a 330mHz '030.

3.  NeXT fitted all the later '030 cubes w/a 40meg drive for swapping.
    It also retrofitted a lot of the original cubes (optical only) with
    the drives also.

4.  Cost/performance  the Next is still better.  You will have to add
    add a larger HD to both 100 meg is definitely not enough for Unix.
    You are going to need 3 times that.

5.  Run X11 on the Amiga and compare that to the '040 NeXT.  The winner
    will be NeXT.  '030 does not equal '040 when it comes to a complicated
    GUI like X11 or NeXTstep.

6.  And above all you have to compare the '040 NeXT to the 3000UX because
    a '030 NeXT is no longer sold except as a clearance item

>--
>John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the eight-year plan!     ///
>Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
>"We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
>Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

In <86586@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, mitroo@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (varun mitroo) writes:
>In article <21969@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>
>>To all those who have said that the NeXT software selection is limited.
>>Get a NeXT. You will be pleasantly surprised at what's already out there
>>in terms of software, both commercial and freeware/shareware.  There are
>>already more than a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT software.  The ones at
>>Purdue, Oregon State, and Maryland seem to be the most popular.
>>
>Here's something I bet not too many people have done with their amigas:
>Last week, I took a blank optical disk (from my cube at home) to one of the
>NeXTs located on campus.  From there I ftped (is there such a verb?) to a
>NeXT site and downloaded everything from the /bin directory and whatever else
>I wanted - in total about 30 megs of stuff - onto my optical disk.  Before I
>took out my optical drive, I decided to check how much of it was used up.
>14% used.  NeXT is not what you hear about on comp.sys.amiga.  Try it out and
>see.

Not having an optical disk, I can't say that I have done that, but I have
transferred large volumes of stuff from Suns to my Amiga using tape. No biggie.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

mitroo@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (varun mitroo) (12/06/90)

In article <21969@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>To all those who have said that the NeXT software selection is limited.
>Get a NeXT. You will be pleasantly surprised at what's already out there
>in terms of software, both commercial and freeware/shareware.  There are
>already more than a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT software.  The ones at
>Purdue, Oregon State, and Maryland seem to be the most popular.

Here's something I bet not too many people have done with their amigas:
Last week, I took a blank optical disk (from my cube at home) to one of the
NeXTs located on campus.  From there I ftped (is there such a verb?) to a
NeXT site and downloaded everything from the /bin directory and whatever else
I wanted - in total about 30 megs of stuff - onto my optical disk.  Before I
took out my optical drive, I decided to check how much of it was used up.
14% used.  NeXT is not what you hear about on comp.sys.amiga.  Try it out and
see.
					Varun Mitroo
					mitroo@cis.ohio-state.edu

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/06/90)

You are correct in saying the Next runs at 15-20 MIPS ,etc and that the
Amiga 3000 runs at only 5.
You are correct in saying that the 68882 is going to be slower on the 3000
compared to the Next.

You FAILED to mention that that info is based on a 68040 Next and a 68030
Amiga 3000! Guess what? A Next at 68030 is gonna have 5 MIPS! Why? It's
all in the chips!

Sure, the Next also beats the 68882! The 68040 has a built in coprocessor!

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE AMIGA 3000 HAS A FULL SOCKET

When the 68040 is out, it should pop right in to where the 68030 was.

When this happens, the Amiga 3000 will run at 15-20 MIPS, will not require
the slow 68882, etc. Don't compare a 68030 with a 68040!

You wanna argue some more? My Amiga 500 is way faster than my C64!

How do I know this info? I have a spec file on the 68040. I will reprint
it here if anyone is interested, and if I can figure out how to do it!

The Amiga 3000 should have a socketed 68030, with extra pins for "future
expansion". I take this to mean that they planned it to work with the 68040
and the 68030.

The designers are sure to know.

:)
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (12/06/90)

   Again I hear how easy it is to develop on a Next...even easier than a
MAC, easier than Amiga, IBM, and UNIX.

  WELL, I can sure say that learning to use UNIX is a big pain! They tell me
I can multitask...sure, I can exit the program I am working on and blah blah
blah...

  Nothing beats the Amiga as far as ease of USE. As far as ease of programming,
I would suggest the Amiga ten thousand zillion times before a Mac or a NEXT!
Why?

 Why do you go to school? To learn. Would you learn if everything was fed to
you from a silver platter aka Next?

  I learned UNIX because I had exposure to the CLI of the Amiga. I think I
am right in guessing that the CLI was modeled after UNIX.

  The Amiga let me learn programming slowly and at my own pace. When I
didn't know CLI, I could still actually use my computer without wondering
what the heck I was doing. On an IBM I would totally lost. On a Mac I would
see no challenge. A person who develops on the Next will NEVER learn what
makes the machine tick. He may as well still wear diapers.

  I no longer write window based software. I write CLI programs, then
develop them into window based software. I write my brains out in CLI, let
everyone use my program, and slowly adapt it to meet the window environment.

  I can only begin to imagine how limited the Next is in the development of
creativity. Look at how easy the Mac is to use, and look at how boring and
disgusting all of the menus and requesters are! (: - mutated happe face.

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions  DDD Men

laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) (12/06/90)

    I compiled the MFLOPS test (a simple multiply loop) that was
on comp.sys.next a few weeks ago on a 33mHz 68882 Amiga. It was
compiled with Aztec 5.0d with the -so option (all optimizations)
and -f8 (plus 68881/2 libraries). This was the test that the 040
NeXT got 3.3 MFLOPS on. The above Amiga came in at .23 MFLOPS.
I believe the 030 NeXT was something like .25-.35 MFLOPS.
The compiler could make a difference.
--
 Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

jon@chopin.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.195334.17986@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  WELL, I can sure say that learning to use UNIX is a big pain! They tell me
>I can multitask...sure, I can exit the program I am working on and blah blah
>blah...

Well, I (and I'm sure many others) tend to disagree with you.  I don't think
learning UNIX is a pain.  And, at this stage of the standardization game,
ANY micro supporting UNIX off-the-shelf has a big advantange over others
because UNIX (for better OR for worse) is settling down!  It is becoming
the OS of choice NOT only for mainframes, but for micros too.  If ONE OS
is going to cover BOTH platforms so well, I should think it will be around
for quite a while.

>  Nothing beats the Amiga as far as ease of USE. As far as ease of programming,
>I would suggest the Amiga ten thousand zillion times before a Mac or a NEXT!
>Why?

As far as programming what?  Programming a user interface with the NeXT seems
to be VERY intuitive and quick.  As far as other misc. programs, C is C is C.
It will be about as difficult (or as easy) on any machine.

> Why do you go to school? To learn. Would you learn if everything was fed to
>you from a silver platter aka Next?

Not everything is 'fed to you from a silver platter' on the NeXT.
Building an interface is very simple on a NeXT.  It is made to be
easy in that respect.  BUT, building a PROGRAM entails WRITING CODE.
But, on the NeXT, if you write your code well, you can use it as a
MODULE for other programs that might need it.  Then again, this is
true for MANY machines (including the Amiga), but this is the BASIS
of the NeXT's design.

>  The Amiga let me learn programming slowly and at my own pace. When I
>didn't know CLI, I could still actually use my computer without wondering
>what the heck I was doing. On an IBM I would totally lost. On a Mac I would
>see no challenge. A person who develops on the Next will NEVER learn what
>makes the machine tick. He may as well still wear diapers.

The NeXT is very similar to the Amiga as far as OS versatility. There is a CLI
(Amiga=AmigaDOS, NeXT=UNIX), and there is a window environment.  On
BOTH machines, you may either point-and-click till your heart's content,
OR you may type commands until your fingers get numb.

>  I can only begin to imagine how limited the Next is in the development of
>creativity. Look at how easy the Mac is to use, and look at how boring and
>disgusting all of the menus and requesters are! (: - mutated happe face.

Are you bored of seeing that 'same old file requester' over and over again
for EVERY program you have/write?  Probably not.  You just EXPECT IT because
THAT'S the AMIGA.  Well, the same with NeXT - There's a standard interfacing
method that most developers are going to use, because it's there already!

And, listen, I am an Amiga owner, and I think the machine is fantastic.
It was the most revolutionary product (that I knew of) in the mid-80's.
The problem is that C=  has to keep some kinda compatability with the
old Amy's when they develop new ones.  This is a BIG hinderance because
technology is moving SO FAST.
The guys at NeXT don't have this problem!  They started on an '030!
They also started with all of the ideas that IBM/MAC/C= came up with
so far!  They have a BIG advantage.  And they are also shooting for
a slightly different market (kinda).  I mean, their BOTTOM LINE machine
is in the 3G range!  That's NOT the range of the AMIGA.

Let's stop comparing and just accept that the NeXT is a new machine
with lots of innovation.  It's not a kludge, it's designed well,
it has many of the x-tras, and it's got a very nice price/performance ratio.

Personally, I like it because it's black...

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (12/06/90)

[]

Ok, ok, so I've been suckered into this thread.. . .

One basic issue that people are overlooking here is that the
Amiga 3000UX represents the top of the line in the Amiga family, the
lowest of which is the A500. The Nextstation is the bottom of the line
the highest which the NeXTDimension for about $14,000. The two families
are fundementally different approaching different markets. (most NeXT
software products cost more then an entire A500!).

The Amiga was designed as a consumer machine, and as such certain
comprimises were built in to keep the price down. The A3000UX still
is locked into these standards (limited colors, lower resolution, etc.)
at least until we can get 8-bit retargetable graphics. Frame buffers can
make up for part of this problem however.

When the Next was designed, Steve Jobs looked at what the future of computing
might be over the next 5 to 10 years and built a machine which would fit into
his future "vision". (something like shooting at a moving target, you need to
aim at where the target will be instead of where it is). Over time the
cost of the technology he incorporated will come down and become more
generally available.

How ever then is then and now is now. . .
When buying a NeXTStation, the smallest system, a user will likely become
dissatisfied rather quickly and wish to upgrade, adding color, a larger
drive and so on. All of which can easily cost $thousands due
to the small size of the market and underpriceing of the orginal hardware.
Kinda like buying a new car for only $3000, only to find out that it
really needs a new set of special tires which will run $1000 each. In
otherwords, the initial investment may be cheap, but in the long run it
can be quite costly. Afterall, if someone can afford $4000 on the BASE
machine, he/she can certainly afford 500 bucks for even the
most simple software packages.

Whereas with an Amiga (not just the A3000UX), practically all of the
software and hardware is written and priced for the consumer market.
Fine paint programs for 100 bucks, the toaster for $1600, genlocks for $150.
Need I say more?

And from a developer's standpoint the much larger market means the more people
will be able to enjoy his handiwork.

The NeXT is a classy machine. We have one in our lab. If I was to do
Unix development I would certainly choose it over the 3000UX. But if
I really wanted to get some practical use out of my investment, I would
never buy a NeXt. True, it comes with some of the "basics". Most of which
could really never be used unless you shelled out more bucks
for the laser printer. And I have yet to need
something like mathematica or the entire works of Shakespeare. Interface
Builder is slick, but only if you want to do Next apps, and then only if
you wanted to work in Objective C. (Don't tell me about networking printers
or fileservers. I am interested in a machine that is independent of the
outside world. Were I a student investing 4 or 5 thousand bucks in a box
which really needs a network to be useful, what will I do with it when
I graduate?).

So what is boils down to is that once the novelty and prestige of owning
a Next wears off, you have to start paying the bills. . .

(I still want one though :-)

Once I can get a next, new, with no special discount for <$2000, with
color and which doesn't need all sorts of expensive add ons to be
even marginally useful, then the Amiga will be in danger, until then,
I'm not too worried.
                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

mitroo@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (varun mitroo) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.195334.17986@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  The Amiga let me learn programming slowly and at my own pace. When I
>didn't know CLI, I could still actually use my computer without wondering
>what the heck I was doing. On an IBM I would totally lost. On a Mac I would
>see no challenge. A person who develops on the Next will NEVER learn what
>makes the machine tick. He may as well still wear diapers.

Please.  Other computers have different programming environments, some of them
allow one to be much more productive than on an Amiga.  For example, Turbo
Pascal and Turbo C on PC have, in my opinion, the nicest programming environ.
I have used.  A lightning fast editor, good compiler, and power for those who
need it (you can add routines in assembly).  I defy any compiler to match the
ease of use and productivity one can achieve using Turbo Pascal.

I used to program in assembly on Apple II.  Talk about total control of the
system...
					Varun Mitroo
					mitroo@cis.ohio-state.edu

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/06/90)

In article <86586@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> varun mitroo <mitroo@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <21969@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>
>>To all those who have said that the NeXT software selection is limited.
>>Get a NeXT. You will be pleasantly surprised at what's already out there
>>in terms of software, both commercial and freeware/shareware.  There are
>>already more than a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT software.  The ones at
>>Purdue, Oregon State, and Maryland seem to be the most popular.
>>
>Here's something I bet not too many people have done with their amigas:
>Last week, I took a blank optical disk (from my cube at home) to one of the
>NeXTs located on campus.  From there I ftped (is there such a verb?) to a
>NeXT site and downloaded everything from the /bin directory and whatever else
>I wanted - in total about 30 megs of stuff - onto my optical disk.  Before I
>took out my optical drive, I decided to check how much of it was used up.
>14% used.  NeXT is not what you hear about on comp.sys.amiga.  Try it out and
>see.
>					Varun Mitroo
>					mitroo@cis.ohio-state.edu

This Next thread gets more amusing by the minute. This must be one of the best
yet :-)

The following is an imaginary story since I can't afford an optical drive.
(they do exist for the amy)

I went down to the store and bought all the optical disks they had. Then I
filled them with PD software. Then I phoned and ordered more disks. One day
I hope to start doing backups of my commercial software too, but first I
must find somewhere to buy more disks...

Howzabout calling a truce until the machines are available off_the_shelf?
We can always harass those poor mac and pc owners that are really missing
out on the computer revolution :-)

Regards, Jorgen

email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (12/06/90)

For the last week I've been reading these computer wars, and have had just
about enough.  Next users on comp.sys.amiga are coming across as a bunch of
insecure jerks.  Why are you posting on comp.sys.amiga about how great your
machine is?  Since you bought it (hook, line, and sinker), I assume you like
it.  Please also remember that the amiga's following is just as passionate.

This may come as a surprise to many, but I don't give a rat's ass about unix,
which "standard" is better, or who's going to be the first to have a 68040
on the motherboard.  I would venture to guess that I am not alone in this
view by a longshot.

With my amiga, I have options to run Amiga, IBM, Macintosh, and extremely
soon, Unix software.  The Next is a nice machine as well, with lots of
cool PD software and upcoming stuff from big software companies like lotus.
Fine!

One really disturbing thing is the personal offense some Next users have taken
by the Byte article describing the new A3000/UX, followed immediately by
counter attacks against amiga users who are not responsible in any way for any
errors or misleading information it might have contained. (though I'm not yet
convinced it did)

Couldn't we all just grow up - just a little?

-Larry

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/06/90)

>the 68040 has begun just this week to ship. I wonder how a
>68040 machine could be shipping when teh 68040 itself was not?

NeXT received its first allotment of 040s on Nov.15.  On Nov. 20, the
new 040 NeXTs were ready to ship, but the 2.0 operating system was not.
Around the 27th of November, the operating system was finalized and the
040 NeXTs began shipping.    The first lot of 040 NeXTs, according to a report
in the NeXT newsgroup, numbered 1000.  Steve Jobs claims 2500 040 NeXTs will
have shipped by the end of December.

How did NeXT get its 040s before anyone else?  Simply, NeXT was largely
responsible for debugging the 040s.

More importantly, although the 040s were ready for the NeXT by Nov. 15, they
were NOT ready for other computers like Hewlett Packard's workstation.  There
were still outstanding bugs in special features of the chip built specifically
for Hewlett Packard's machines.  These bugs had no relevance for the NeXT.
Again, this information is from articles posted in the NeXT newsgroup.

When they 040 NeXT did ship about a week ago, Motorola and NeXT took out a
large joint ad in a major national newspaper.  The NeXT thus became the first
computers to ship with the 040s.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/06/90)

To Thom Cleland:
  The Amiga newsgroup is indeed full of well-informed and intelligent
posters.  However, your postings re the NeXT have not been well-informed.
  The 105 MB hard drive for the NeXT does indeed come with nearly 40 MB of
bundled software (not including the operating system).  The 340 MB hard disk
does indeed come with nearly 200 MB of bundled software.  True, Mathematic
is not free to every NeXT buyer, but it IS free to all educational buyers,
and I assume you and most of Usenet would be among these (of course, there
are some who are not).
  The 040 NeXTs shipped last week (see a previous article on mine for details).
  The 030 Amigas are more expensive than the 040 NeXTstations.  Do you
really expect to get an 040 upgrade and money back from Commodore??  This is
what it would take to make your 040 Amiga the same low price as the 040
NeXTStation.
  The real issue is price/performance.  There are many machines much faster
than the NeXT or Amiga.  But the NeXT beats nearly all of them in terms of
price/performance.  The Amiga is a valiant challenger to NeXT.  But it still
has a ways to go if it wants to match NeXT's price/performance.
  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?  That Amiga Mach with
parallel processing capabilities?  That 2.88 MB floppy drive compatible with
both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats?

saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) (12/07/90)

ENough already!!

Guess what netters? What the Amiga is bad at, it's not good at.
What the NeXT is good at, it's good at.  What the Amiga is good at,
it's good at.  What the NeXT is bad at, it's bad at.

Who really cares?  I want a computer that does the things I want, how
I want.  Maybe it's not the *BEST* solution.  So what?  As long as I am
satisifed, that's what counts.

We should start a new newsgroup -- COMP.SYS.MINE'S.BETTER.THAN.YOURS.SO.THERE
Use that for all such inane comparisons that are subjective.

I'll know that a comparison is reasonably objective when I see
something that doesn't look like someone *GRUDGINGLY* admitting that in some
minor way, their particular true love is lacking.

Sorry for the generic flame, but this has got to be tamed in some fashion.

Do not bother following up.  That will just exacerbate the situation.

Saify

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec5.194205.16892@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

> IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE AMIGA 3000 HAS A FULL SOCKET
>
> When the 68040 is out, it should pop right in to where the 68030 was.

But will Commodore give it to you for nothing?

> When this happens, the Amiga 3000 will run at 15-20 MIPS, will not require
> the slow 68882, etc. Don't compare a 68030 with a 68040!
>
> You wanna argue some more? My Amiga 500 is way faster than my C64!

Of course it is, Amiga 500 is more expensive and came out after the C64. But
how can you explain that A3000UX is more expensive (as it seems now)
than a NeXTStation - even if A3000UX is launched later (and has 68030
instead of 68040 etc.)?

This is the whole point of me staying in this argument. As it seems that
you don't care what you pay for your machine, only if it is an Amiga -
and nothing can change that - I am getting fed up with this.

				Jouni

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/07/90)

I wrote:
>>the comparison is not fair because the Amiga 3000UX is vaporware

A gentleman from Vermont responds:
>I'm sorry, but that's not true.  I'm typing this on one.

And there are people using Mac's System 7.0 today.  I know several people
who have NeXTDimensions, which are not scheduled to be released until early
next year.  But all of these, including the Amiga 3000ux, is vaporware
because they have not been finished and released.  The Amiga 3000ux's Unix
is just not done.  Go ahead, use your Amiga 3000ux to your heart's content,
but talk to me when SVR4 is completed.

erick@CSUFresno.EDU (Eric Keisler) (12/07/90)

In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>To Thom Cleland:
>  The Amiga newsgroup is indeed full of well-informed and intelligent
>posters.

No argument here!  ;-)

>  The 030 Amigas are more expensive than the 040 NeXTstations.
>...what it would take to make your 040 Amiga the same low price as the 040
>NeXTStation.
>  The real issue is price/performance.  There are many machines much faster
>than the NeXT or Amiga.  But the NeXT beats nearly all of them in terms of
>price/performance.  The Amiga is a valiant challenger to NeXT.  But it still
>has a ways to go if it wants to match NeXT's price/performance.

Look, why do *so many* people insist on comparing oranges to bannanas?  The
Amiga is a *C O L O R* system.  There is no such beast as a 4 color monochrome
Amiga *CPU*.  All Amigas have color support and specialized graphics CPUs built
in.  If your are going to compare a NeXT to ANY Amiga, for god's sake at least
use the NeXTStation Color system.  Then REDO your price/performance math, write
it down, and LOOK at what you just wrote, O.K.?

Heck, there are *numerous* monochrome based systems that come in at a low
price.  But add color capability to many of those systems and WHAM-O, it's
time for a second mortgage on the house.  Of course a third mortgage would be
required if you want to do any sort of animation or video graphics.

---
Eric Keisler, CSU Fresno
erick@zimmer.ucs.csufresno.edu

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (12/07/90)

In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>  The 030 Amigas are more expensive than the 040 NeXTstations.  Do you
>really expect to get an 040 upgrade and money back from Commodore??  This is
>what it would take to make your 040 Amiga the same low price as the 040
>NeXTStation.
>  The real issue is price/performance.  There are many machines much faster
>than the NeXT or Amiga.  But the NeXT beats nearly all of them in terms of
>price/performance.  The Amiga is a valiant challenger to NeXT.  But it still
>has a ways to go if it wants to match NeXT's price/performance.

	Buy one piece of software for your NeXT and you've likely thrown out
that price advantage, or at least a good portion of it.

>  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
>go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?
	The AMiga's custom coprocessors are far from being as powerful as the
56001, but are not too shabby.  They certainly make the display fast.

>Those Amiga DMA channels?
	Oh, you mean the 25 DMA channels that every Amiga's had since the
first 1000's shipped what, 6 years ago?  I believe Agnus has got 'em
all.

>That Amiga Mach with
>parallel processing capabilities?
	What NeXT hardware is there with multiprocessing abilities?  If you mean
the processor & DSP, I think you're confusing co- with multi- processing,
but that's another war.  AmigaDOS is small and fast, UNIX is big and slow.
Both have good and bad points.

>That 2.88 MB floppy drive compatible with
>both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats?
	As soon as such drives become readily available with SCSI interfaces,
they'll be around.

	As long as you're asking "Where is" questions, here are a few about the
NeXT:

Where is the inexpensive software?
		 the under-$500 color video digitizer?
		 The NeXT Fred Fish collection?
		 The NeXT employees who spend a great deal of time answering just about
			any question posted to the net?  If I have a problem with my
			3000, I can post a question here and often have it answered
			within hours by the people who built it.
         Any third-party hardware to plug into the expansion slots of those
			few NeXTs which actually have them?  (Besides the $7000 DSP board).
         NeXT-specific magazines?
		 A NeXT developer's association?
		 NeXT Video Toaster?  Frame buffers?  Under $5000 color systems?
		 All-NeXT trade shows?
		 Mac or PC emulation (yes, I know softPC is coming, but can it
         	with the compatibility offered by the bridgeboards?)
		 How about an inexpensive version that the average person can afford?
			For many people, it's not "The Amiga 3000 costs more than the
			NeXT," it's "How the hell am I going to scrape up enough
			money to get a computer?"

	Both machines are useful; the NeXT is better in some respects, the
Amiga in others.  I wouldn't mind having one (or more:-) of each,
but the Amiga won out as my choice.

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (12/07/90)

In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

[much deleted]

>  The real issue is price/performance.  There are many machines much faster
>than the NeXT or Amiga.  But the NeXT beats nearly all of them in terms of
>price/performance.  The Amiga is a valiant challenger to NeXT.  But it still
>has a ways to go if it wants to match NeXT's price/performance.
>  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
>go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?  That Amiga Mach with
>parallel processing capabilities?  That 2.88 MB floppy drive compatible with
>both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats?

To which I could reply:

Where's the NeXT Unix SVR4 (although not officially released there are many
A3000UX's shipped)?  Where's the NeXT Video Toaster?  Where's the large
NeXT's are there)?

Look, this thread has long since ceased to be productive, and certainly has no
further useful contribution to comp.sys.amiga.  Like Mike Smithwick a little
earlier, I have now allowed myself to be dragged into this 'discussion'.
The Amigas and the NeXTs are machines designed and optimized for different
purposes, and are hopefully good at their intended market areas, which are _not_
the same.

Mr. Yoo, thank you for your information, but if I want further information on
the topic, I'll read comp.sys.next.  Comp.sys.amiga is intended for Amiga
discussions, and without your postings, this entire thread would have died
down a long time ago.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

dcr3567@isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson ) (12/07/90)

>>already more than a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT software.  The ones at
>>Purdue, Oregon State, and Maryland seem to be the most popular.

>I wanted - in total about 30 megs of stuff - onto my optical disk.  Before I

  So THAT'S why the net has been so bogged down lately...

Maybe it's time the networks switched to fiber optics to handle the new
(I mean) NeXT load.  1/2 :-)

-Dan

--
Daniel C. Richardson
Rochester Institute Of Technology     /    Mechanical Engineering Dept.

amr@egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson) (12/07/90)

From article <4166.275e7c73@cc.helsinki.fi>, by jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi:

> This is the whole point of me staying in this argument. As it seems that
> you don't care what you pay for your machine, only if it is an Amiga -
> and nothing can change that - I am getting fed up with this.
>

> 				Jouni

I hate to contribute to this, but ...

There are some basic differences between the machines.  The Amiga
does have built in color.  The $4000 NeXTstation is a monochrome system.
The NeXTstation sports better performance figures (according to others
who know more than I).

I would recommend the Amiga 3000 to someone looking for a cheap UNIX
system that can also do DeskTop Video and killer games.
I would recommend the NeXTstation to someone looking for a cheap UNIX
system for number crunching and scientific applications.

Each machine has qualities that appeal to a certain group of people.
I am not going to buy a Corvette if I need a Lumina (even if the
performance is better :-)).

This is a pointless, tiring argument and I feel cheapened by having
contributed to it.

Tony

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (12/07/90)

In article <4166.275e7c73@cc.helsinki.fi>, jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes...
^In article <1990Dec5.194205.16892@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
^>

[stuff deleted]

^
^Of course it is, Amiga 500 is more expensive and came out after the C64. But
^how can you explain that A3000UX is more expensive (as it seems now)
^than a NeXTStation - even if A3000UX is launched later (and has 68030
^instead of 68040 etc.)?

Why are Tandy computers sold so cheap compared to other clones?

^
^This is the whole point of me staying in this argument. As it seems that
^you don't care what you pay for your machine, only if it is an Amiga -
^and nothing can change that - I am getting fed up with this.
^

Good.  Please leave.  The only reason that I'm in this silly discussion is
every time I try to build a kill file my quota runs out and I delete everything
so I can exit the editor (anyone know how to arrange it so VNEWS doesn't
journal an editing session?).  Talk about no disk space (I got 500 blks...300
odd of which is taken up by my own environment to make the EVE editor usable).

Look.  The NeXT is a wonderful machine.  It outclasses the Amiga by leaps and
bounds.  You were brilliant to buy a NeXT.  Happy?  Good.  Go Away.  Grrrrr...

^
^				Jouni

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (12/07/90)

Fortune Cookie says:  Ignore previous article.

Sorry guys...I meant that as an email response but it seems I don't know my <R>s
from my <f>s.  So I waste even more bandwidth apologising ;-).

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (12/07/90)

In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>To Thom Cleland:
>  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
>go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?  That Amiga Mach with
>parallel processing capabilities?  That 2.88 MB floppy drive compatible with
>both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats?

So where's the NeXTstation's high-performance multi-master 32-bit
autoconfig(tm) bus?  Where's it's NTSC compatible video output? Where's
it's *second* floppy drive bay? You all must find one floppy drive (or
zero for those with the optical disk) pretty limiting.

As for options, where's your Mac emulator?  Where's your MS-DOS
bridgecard?

The A3000UX, with System V release 4, is Posix-compliant, which opens
the door to federal procurement nicely.  How does Mach fare?  (Oh, I
forgot - Jobs claims the OS isn't important to a purchaser, it's just
a base for applications, which are important.  A standard OS doesn't
matter.)

(BTW you must not have known that the Amiga wrote the book on DMA
channels, with 25 residing in Agnus chip servicing the custom chippery,
and bus mastering DMA peripherals on the expansion bus.)

OK, now let's all get it out in the open.  We both (NeXTers and Amigans) were
attracted to a machine which seemed to offer better performance and
features than the accepted institution, the PC and Mac.  We both believe
we've chosen the best machine for the price.  We become insecure enough
when we see how few people have made the same choice, and so are prone
to defensiveness.  (No one with a PC needs to defend or justify it.)
It is more unnerving when we see others who have made a different
choice for the same reasons - superior price, performance, and features.

So people, beleive me when I tell you, it's possible for us *all* to
have made the right choice!  Whether we chose a NeXT, Amiga, Atari ST,
PC clone (ugh), or Timex Sinclair (OK, OK, I'm just making a point),
it was a valid and correct choice for the reasons we chose it.  So all
of you go home, relax, and have a happy holiday.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

mwm@fenris.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (12/07/90)

In article <21991@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
   Steve Jobs claims 2500 040 NeXTs will have shipped by the end of December.

Hmm. 2500 machines a month, along with back orders of 15,000 as of
announcment time.  That translates to 6 months before the orders
placed _before the public announcement_ are filled. Even ignoring
orders placed since announcement, that's a bit of a wait to get a
machine.

I expect to own an '040 based Amiga in less than 6 months.  Depends on
how deep the various discounts on the '040 cards are. Not only will I
then have a faster machine than the NeXT, it'll have better graphics
for the things I do, and I won't have to put up with software based on
Unix (though by then I expect to be running OSF's multi-threaded Mach
kernel at work).

	<mike
--

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/07/90)

Excuse me, but can someone point out what the prices are for the Next and the
3000?  I know this is probably not the place but since this discussion is going
on and on and on and on we should at least get the cost straight.  Oh, yeah,
list the specs also...
Rob

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (12/07/90)

In article <21930@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John "Vlad" Adams" writes:
>
>An Amiga 3000ux will crank out 5 Mips.  The 040 NeXTs crank out 15-20 Mips
>(both sets of figures are from Motorola).  The 040 NeXTs do nearly 3 MFLOPS,
>the floating point coprocessor on the Amiga 3000ux will be lucky to approach
>1 MFLOP.  {

Are we talking about the 68882 FPU for the amiga!? 1 MFLOPS !? Ha!! If a
50 MHz 882 approaches .5 MFLOPS I would be impressed.

In article <14702@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>In article <21941@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>Incorrect.  I still cannot order a 68040 NeXT at my local
>computer dealer  (U. bookstore).  I assume they won't be long,

Wrong. Well, you may not be, but I was able to. I ordered my cube (040)
already, and they didn't complain. They did say they didn't know when
I would get it however. But the 040 next's are shipping, there is a
demo NeXTstation over in our engineering building, seems fast enough
for me. I know they exist, I know they are shipping, and  know I HAVEN'T
GOTTEN MINE YET :(. Oh well, I should have it early january.

- Vareck

++ Vareck Bostrom			            ++
++ bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu                         ++
++ bostrov%storm@cs.uoregon.edu		            ++
++         					    ++
++ All this signifigance			    ++
++ 	what does it mean?			    ++

In article <1990Dec5.154228.20653@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>I'll guarantee you that the 882 is less than one MIP :)  It is also less
>than .5 MFLOPs at 25 MHz.  I haven't had the opportunity to benchmark a
>50 MHz 882, but maybe later on today.

I have tested a 882/50 mhz. I am supprised you got so good results from
the 25 mhz 882, though my battery of tests was not as extensive as yours,
I managed only .2441 MFLOPS from a 25 MHz 68882 (sun 3). I got ALMOST
.5 MFLOPS on a 50 MHz 882.

 Vareck Bostrom
reply-to: bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu

++ Vareck Bostrom			            ++
++ bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu                         ++
++ bostrov%storm@cs.uoregon.edu		            ++
++         					    ++
++ All this signifigance			    ++
++ 	what does it mean?			    ++

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/07/90)

>  Nothing beats the Amiga as far as ease of USE.  As far as ease of
>programming, I would suggest the Amiga ten thousand zillion times before
>a Mac or a NeXT!

First, the NeXT is easier to use in many ways than a Mac.  I think it
compares very favorably to an Amiga.  You see, the NeXT hides Unix.  No
greps, no vi, no ls is necessary (but it's all there if you want to use it).
The programmer and user works at the level of NeXTStep, which sits on top
of Unix.  It is an ideal environment for creative interface-intensive
applications.  You have a state-of-the-art object-oriented programming
environment that it extremely powerful and easy to use.  You will see
revolutionary software come out on the NeXT.  Lotus's Improv is just one
example (check out October Byte).  The NeXT software development
environment really frees the programmer from old assumptions of limitations
(both in terms of hardware and interface) and makes him/her feel
that he/she can do just about anything.  Just one reason some NeXT
programmers are cocky and occasionally wonder over to other newsgroups
to spread the gospel :-).

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (12/07/90)

Actually, I agree.

Come'on guys, lets all be friends. I am willing to admit that the
Amiga (even the 500) is an innovative and powerful computer, and
I'm sure Amiga owners/users will admint that the NeXT's (even 030
nexts) are the same.

The NeXT os (mach) is a cool, neat, awesome os. So is the amiga/os.

The amiga has really cool, powerful sound and graphics capibilities,
so does the NeXT.

Both are multitasking, both use mc680x0 cpu's, both can be wicked fast
when they want to be.

The Amiga has A LOT of applications out there, not just games, the
NeXT has some really high quality apps out, and some games. Both
look bright in the software end as far as the future is concerned.

Both are priced fairly well.

Yes, the NeXT does include a DSP, a neato Interface Builder, etc, and
the Amiga has far more applications out there than the NeXT is going
to see this year, at least.

The score is settled. Let's pick on mac/pc people for a while.

- Vareck Bostrom

The hatchet is buried.

In article <23853@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>So people, beleive me when I tell you, it's possible for us *all* to
>have made the right choice!  Whether we chose a NeXT, Amiga, Atari ST,
>PC clone (ugh), or Timex Sinclair (OK, OK, I'm just making a point),
>it was a valid and correct choice for the reasons we chose it.

Just to throw a bit into this: I also watch the German branch of the
Fido net. And there in the Atari TT group they also compare the TT
only with a NeXT, and they all come to the conclusion that a TT is
far better choice because of its lower price (it even fell recently).
Should sound a little strange for Amigan's ears...

In article <1223@cameron.egr.duke.edu>, amr@egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson) writes:
> From article <4166.275e7c73@cc.helsinki.fi>, by jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi:
>>
>> This is the whole point of me staying in this argument. As it seems that
>> you don't care what you pay for your machine, only if it is an Amiga -
>> and nothing can change that - I am getting fed up with this.
>>

>> 				Jouni

I have got a lot of angry mail because I wrote this. O.K. I admit that I
was in the bad mood.

> I hate to contribute to this, but ...
>
> There are some basic differences between the machines.  The Amiga
> does have built in color.  The $4000 NeXTstation is a monochrome system.
> The NeXTstation sports better performance figures (according to others
> who know more than I).

Yes. If you want to change the 68040 and DSP for color then Amiga could
be the way to go. I was just wondering if many students etc. really
need desktop video. Well, of course in this newsgroup the percentage is
large since Amiga is well suited for cost-effective video work.

> I would recommend the Amiga 3000 to someone looking for a cheap UNIX
> system that can also do DeskTop Video and killer games.
> I would recommend the NeXTstation to someone looking for a cheap UNIX
> system for number crunching and scientific applications.

BTW, is NeXTStation Color much more expensive than the A3000UX? (In
educational?) Other main area for all NeXTs is computer music and
digital recording studios.

				Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (12/08/90)

In article <22015@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>>  Nothing beats the Amiga as far as ease of USE.  As far as ease of
>>programming, I would suggest the Amiga ten thousand zillion times before
>>a Mac or a NeXT!
>
>First, the NeXT is easier to use in many ways than a Mac.  I think it
>compares very favorably to an Amiga.  You see, the NeXT hides Unix.  No
>greps, no vi, no ls is necessary (but it's all there if you want to use it).
>The programmer and user works at the level of NeXTStep, which sits on top
>of Unix.  It is an ideal environment for creative interface-intensive
>applications.  You have a state-of-the-art object-oriented programming
>environment that it extremely powerful and easy to use.  You will see
>revolutionary software come out on the NeXT.  Lotus's Improv is just one
>example (check out October Byte).  The NeXT software development
>environment really frees the programmer from old assumptions of limitations
>(both in terms of hardware and interface) and makes him/her feel
>that he/she can do just about anything.  Just one reason some NeXT
>programmers are cocky and occasionally wonder over to other newsgroups
>to spread the gospel :-).

Change a few words and you have just summed up what's so great about the amiga.
Do you want to trade me a Next for my A500?

In article <682@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>Actually, I agree.
>
>Come'on guys, lets all be friends. I am willing to admit that the
>Amiga (even the 500) is an innovative and powerful computer, and
>I'm sure Amiga owners/users will admint that the NeXT's (even 030
>nexts) are the same.

	How about this: The world would be a much better place if
all the millions of IBMs and Macs were replaced with Amigas and
NeXTs. 8)

gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) (12/08/90)

In article <21991@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>NeXT received its first allotment of 040s on Nov.15.  On Nov. 20, the

(stuff deleted)
Did I miss this group being re-named ?
--
Gunda O'Neal, CATS- EUROPE
AMIGA Developer Support Administration

Dennis_Grant@CMR001.BITNET (12/08/90)

 A silly post for a silly thread...

     Are the various NeXt machines' cases still made out of magnesium?

     (wouldn't advise smoking NeXt to one of those suckers)

    or, on the other hand, maybe that has some use. As a very bright (if
somewhat short-lived) light source. Never live in fear of the dark again!
Buy a NeXt! Or perhaps a 1X1 30000 candlepower monochrome display?

I never did understand that particular choice of construction materials.

| Dennis Grant DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET |   There ain't no replacement |
| Computer Science (Systems) student  |   for cubic displacement.    |
| at CMR.       (The "other" MilCol)  |                              |
|                All standard disclaimers apply                      |

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (12/08/90)

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
< Come'on guys, lets all be friends. I am willing to admit that the
< Amiga (even the 500) is an innovative and powerful computer, and
< I'm sure Amiga owners/users will admint that the NeXT's (even 030
< nexts) are the same.

I'm glad to see SOMEONE had the sense to say this.  I believe you will
find that the vast majority of Amiga users/owners out there really have
nothing against the NeXT.  In fact, had I the money, I would probably
own both (an Amiga and a NeXT), as well as a SPARCStation, a Cray, and
the Shuttle Columbia :-).  However, I don't.  I had enough funds to
purchase 1 (one) computer, and feel that I made an intelligent,
informed decision.  I have no regrets.  Quite the contrary, I am elated
by the power, flexibility, and FUN my Amiga provides to me.  I
sincerely hope that any self-respecting NeXT user could say the same.

The only problem I've had is with the people who post articles which
have a negative tone, and appear to be saying "If you had a lick of
sense you'd RUN RIGHT DOWN to your local NeXT dealer and BUY ONE (maybe
even TWO!)".  This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth, and is quite
unnecessary.

< The score is settled. Let's pick on mac/pc people for a while.

Nahhh...  Don't you think having to USE a Mac or a PC is punishment
enough? :-)

< - Vareck Bostrom
<
< The hatchet is buried.

Hey!  Watch where you bury that thing! :-)

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  |       ///        Make up your own

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (12/08/90)

In article <2320@cbmehq.UUCP> 0 writes:
>In article <21991@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>>
>>NeXT received its first allotment of 040s on Nov.15.  On Nov. 20, the
>
>(stuff deleted)

>Did I miss this group being re-named ?

Yes you did.  It is now comp.sys.amiga.vs.next

>--
>Gunda O'Neal, CATS- EUROPE
>AMIGA Developer Support Administration
>UUCP: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!gunda
>"If you try to please everybody,somebody is not going to like it"

--
           Darin Sheriff.  Just a College student with an Amiga.
"According to the classical laws of Aerodynamics, it is impossible for a

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/08/90)

mike smithwick writes:
>True, it [the NeXT] comes with all of the "basics".  Most of which could
>really never be used unless you shelled out more bucks for a laser printer.

The NeXT's laser printer is 400dpi and costs $1795 retail.  Educational buyers
and developers can get it for approx. $1200.  If this is still too pricey,
you can hook up other printers, like Apple's ImageWriter, using some
free/share software.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (12/08/90)

First things first.  I'm going to try to shift this to alt.religion.computers

In article <23853@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>So where's the NeXTstation's high-performance multi-master 32-bit
>autoconfig(tm) bus?  Where's it's NTSC compatible video output? Where's

Well, they have NTSC compatability in their NeXTDimension board.  You don't
really get NTSC compatability with a regular Amiga anyways.  You're always
going to have to add a genlock and/or some other video stuff to make it do
it anyways.  This is, of course, true of NeXTs too.

>it's *second* floppy drive bay? You all must find one floppy drive (or
>zero for those with the optical disk) pretty limiting.

Why is that?  You never use the floppy for much other than installing new
software releases or backing up.

>As for options, where's your Mac emulator?  Where's your MS-DOS
>bridgecard?

I've heard something about a Mac emulator for it.  MS-DOS is coming in the
form of Soft-PC.

>The A3000UX, with System V release 4, is Posix-compliant, which opens
>the door to federal procurement nicely.  How does Mach fare?  (Oh, I
>forgot - Jobs claims the OS isn't important to a purchaser, it's just
>a base for applications, which are important.  A standard OS doesn't
>matter.)

Mach isn't an OS.  Mach is a kernel.  The NeXTs run BSD.  There are a TON
of BSD applications out there.  Same with Sys V.  Mach does provide for
many nice features though.

>OK, now let's all get it out in the open.  We both (NeXTers and Amigans) were
>attracted to a machine which seemed to offer better performance and
>features than the accepted institution, the PC and Mac.  We both believe
>we've chosen the best machine for the price.  We become insecure enough
>when we see how few people have made the same choice, and so are prone
>to defensiveness.  (No one with a PC needs to defend or justify it.)
>It is more unnerving when we see others who have made a different
>choice for the same reasons - superior price, performance, and features.

>So people, beleive me when I tell you, it's possible for us *all* to
>have made the right choice!  Whether we chose a NeXT, Amiga, Atari ST,
>PC clone (ugh), or Timex Sinclair (OK, OK, I'm just making a point),
>it was a valid and correct choice for the reasons we chose it.  So all
>of you go home, relax, and have a happy holiday.

Absolutely agree with the above stuff.  I love Amigas, and I love NeXTs.

			See ya, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (12/08/90)

In article <22042@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
[ongoing NeXT vs. Amiga debate which seems pointless. Both are nice.]

>The NeXT's laser printer is 400dpi and costs $1795 retail.  Educational buyers
>and developers can get it for approx. $1200.  If this is still too pricey,
>you can hook up other printers, like Apple's ImageWriter, using some
>free/share software.

Sorry to the Amiga folk for gwtting NeXT info here. I also have an A3000
question. First to the A3000. Will an A3000+cd-rom= CDTV? Are the Sierra
games supported on the A3000? Will games/educational software be moved to
the A3000? I was as the World of Commodore Show here in Toronto and was
rather impressed. There's lot's going on in the Amiga world that's exciting
and accessible to more people than in the NeXT world( I have a NeXT). But
one thing that Commodore should be pushing is the scientific possibilities
of the Amiga. There's a bit of software that is very good in that domain, and
Commodore would be wise to bundle it with Amigas instead of games, painting
programs,etc...I'm thinking of Math Vision, Amiga TeX, Maple. Get them to do
a port of S  from Bell Labs. This would give the Amiga fantastic statistical
data analysis and interactive graphics' capabilities for all scientists. It
is the premier statistical program. Actually New S or S+ would be even better.
The port should be straightforward using Unix. It does not run on the Mac.

As for the NeXT( which I really like as my Mac replacement), printing to the
ImigaWriter is totally unacceptable. What about support for the Deskjet or
the Painjet or the Laserjet etc...? Where is it? I can't stand 9 pin printers
that cost more than 300 dot/in HP ones.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/08/90)

It's postings like yours that keep me going.  It's extremely hard to
turn away from the discussion when you or another Amiga-proponent ask
pointed questions about the NeXT or make ridiculous statements about the
machine.

These are trends I've noticed throughout the Usenet newsgroups.
1.  During a flame war, people inevitably post messages that say, "You're
wrong.  You're wrong.  You're wrong.  Now, let's stop discussing this
issue since it's not relevant to the newsgroup."  These kinds of messages
only perpetuate flame wars.

2.  During a flame war, people inevitably post messages that say, "This
is boring and uninformative crap.  Get this out of MY newsgroup."  The
truth usually is that all too many people are interested in the issue, and
often passionately so.  Moreover, newsgroups do not belong to individuals or
even groups (unless they are moderated).  They are for public discussions,
and hardware comparisons involving the Amiga do have a place in the Amiga
newsgroups.

Cheers,
Young

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/08/90)

The questions just keep on coming, so here are some more questions and answers:

>Where's the NeXT SVR4?

SVR4 doesn't exist as finished product.  SVR4 is what is keeping the Amiga
3000ux from going into official release.  BSD Unix is just fine, thank you.
And Mach is arguably the most advanced kernel around today (even taking SVR4
into account).

>Where's the NeXT Video Toaster?

The NeXT has the NeXTDimension.

>Where's the large NeXT installed user base?

I write software for the NeXT because I believe it will achieve a large user
base.  It is still a machine in its infancy in terms of the marketplace.
Also the success of the NeXT is not measured in the numbers used for PCs.
The Amiga has a user base of 2,000,000 (according to one poster).  If NeXT
were to achieve this figure, it would control 100% of the low-end workstation
market.

>What NeXT hardware is there with multiprocessing capabilities.

I assume you mean "parallel processing."  The NeXT, thanks to Unix, is a
multiprocessing computer.  As for "parallel processing," NeXT has yet to
take advantage of the parallel processing capabilities inherent in Mach.
But there is some talk about a parallel processing NeXT by the end of this
year.  We're talking multiple 040s on one board running in concert.

>Where is the inexpensive software?

Much of the most useful software for the NeXT comes free with the machin:
a commercial quality wordprocessor, a revolutionary spreadsheet, the
Digital Librarian, Interface Builder, Mathematica (for educational buyers),
etc.  NeXT software is comparable to Mac software in pricing.  There are
exceptions of course.  There are outrageously priced high-end software
packages for workstations and there are great low-price deals to educational
buyers.  Lighthouse Design is selling their Diagram! program for $10 to
students.  It retails for $249 (yes, you save $239! if you're a student).
Informix is selling Wingz with better than a 50% discount to students
.  I think the figure is something like $150 for a product that retails at
$700.  There are over a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT freeware/shareware.
Check out cs.orst.edu and nova.cc.purdue.edu in particular (I'm not sure
about the purdue net address).

>Any third-party software to plug into the expansion slots of those few
>NeXTs which actually have them?

There's the Ariel QuintProcessor which gives you five additional DSP chips
on one board.  There is Cube Digital I/O which gives you 64 channels of
digital I/O, a Centronics-compatible parallel port, and other goodies.
There's the Dazzl Model16/12 Analog to Digital Converter. There are also
many products that take adge of the built-in NeXT DSP port, the two
serial ports, the new SCSI-2 port, the built-in thin and twisted-pair
Ethernet, the mic jack AND built-in mic, et al.

>The NeXT Fred Fish collection?

Don't know what this is.

>The NeXT employees who spend a great deal of time answering just about...

You'll see a few of them in the NeXT newsgroup.  And if they're not there
to answer your questions, there are many NeXT hardware/software developers
in the NeXT newsgroup who will.  They sometimes even make it over to the
Amiga newsgroup :-).

>NeXT-specific magazines.

Currently, there is the NeXT User's Journal, Baran's Tech Letter, and
the various newsletters of the over 50 NeXT user groups worldwide.
Next month, the first issue of NeXTWorld will be out from the people
who brought us MacWorld and PCWorld.  For those more technically inclined,
Nexus magazine is due out this month.

>A NeXT developer's association?

NeXT developer's SIGs are forming all over the country.  In my area is the
SIG formed by BaNG (the Bay Area NeXT User's Group) and BMUG for NeXT
software developers.

>NeXT Video Toaster?  Frame buffers?  Under $5000 color systems?

The Next has NeXTDimension as I said.  As for under $5000 color systems, the
NeXT ain't a lower-end PC.  It's market is a little higher.

>All-NeXT trade shows?

None of these yet.  But we do get to see Steve Jobs special brand of dog and
pony shows :-).

>Mac or PC emulation

SoftPC 2.0 claims to be 100% AT-compatible and claims to run MS-DOS software
at 12-16 MHz 286 speeds.  Not bad for an emulator, eh?  As for Mac emulation,
I don't think anyone's working on it.

>How about an inexpensive version that everyone can afford?

The NeXT is not a low-end PC.  Do you want to play games, or do you want a
workstation?  At any rate, for $3000-$3500, a student can buy a NeXT for the
price of a Mac SE/30 and less than the price of the Amiga 3000ux.

Of course, I'd also love to see a PC-priced NeXT.  But there's a price you
pay for power and features.  It's not the machine for everyone.  But it is
the machine I'm buying.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/08/90)

You're getting to be one of the main reasons I'm sticking around the Amiga
newsgroup.  Your postings will do nothing but get more irate NeXTers to
post to the newsgroup.  If you're serious about clearing us out....
shut up.

Cheers,
Young

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/08/90)

Sorry, that last angry note was intended for a certain N.T.  But I might as
reiterate the point of that note here.  The lovely flames I've received
in public or through e-mail are very large incentives for me to keep posting.
They are also large incentives for other NeXTers to perpetuate this flame
war.

I have nothing against those who argue with facts, figures, and honest
albeit biased opinions.  But, I do not appreciate the personal flames I've
seen here and in my e-mail.  Remember, we're discussing machines, not
personalities.  And remember, every flame keeps the fire going.

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (12/08/90)

In article <MWM.90Dec6214541@fenris.relay.pa.dec.com>, mwm@fenris.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
> In article <21991@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>    Steve Jobs claims 2500 040 NeXTs will have shipped by the end of December.
>
> Hmm. 2500 machines a month, along with back orders of 15,000 as of
> announcment time.  That translates to 6 months before the orders
> placed _before the public announcement_ are filled. Even ignoring
> orders placed since announcement, that's a bit of a wait to get a
> machine.
>
> I expect to own an '040 based Amiga in less than 6 months.  Depends on
> how deep the various discounts on the '040 cards are. Not only will I

Do you really think that Commodore (or some third-party '040 board
vendor) will get '040s faster than NeXT?

> then have a faster machine than the NeXT, it'll have better graphics

Based on what? I wouldn't believe this before I see some good
benchmarks.

Note: I am not objecting Amiga. I just am very cautious about
misinformation.

			Jouni

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/09/90)

When you wrote "I was just wondering if many stdents ect. really need desktop
video.  Well, of course in this news group the percentage is large since
the amiga is well suited for cost-effective video work."

Tell you what, nothing impresses a prof more than a slick looking video that
you slapped together in about and hour.  Case in point, in m ROTC class, I had
to give a presentation, I selected the Slealth fighter as my topic (this just
just before it went real "public", I built a model, and also drew an amimation
where the fighter would come on screen, and then I would show some radar waves
bouncing off of it and where they went... I took it over to a friends amiga
and we put it to video tape (he had a rf modulator and a VCR), the whole set
up for what I did was $600 for my amiga 500 and memory $250 for the monitor
$150 for DPaint III, and then $50 for the modulator, and $200 for the VCR,
oh and $5.00 for the video tape, and my presentation blew everyone away.

I little 35 frame animation can make all the differance...

Raoul Rodriguez

"People may not believe what you say, but they will always believe what
 you do." - Unknown

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/09/90)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes
>question. First to the A3000. Will an A3000+cd-rom= CDTV? Are the Sierra

Actually, Any amiga +cd-rom= CDTV...  As for the other questions, I am not
as sure.

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/09/90)

Here it goes again...

O.K...  TO settle this price/performance thing, I went down to the local
campus computer store (where they sell NeXT machines) to get a first
hand look at the machine, and also to get the prices... And, this is
what I found...

There are currently 4 diffrent NeXT setups... and all 4 setups come with
two diffrent Hard Drives, 105 or 340 (with the 105 you don't get a lot
of software, but with 340 you get a bunch).  The prices in "("'s are the
educational prices, the plain prices are the retail price.  The dealer
wasn't sure on the last three cube setups... so they have a "+" after
them...

1) The NeXTStation  (The Slab) (Greyscale)
	- 105 HD	$4,995	 ($3,328)  (Don't forget to add tax)
	- 340 HD	$7,995	 ($5,052)

2) The NextStation with color (up to 4032)
	- 105 HD	$7,995	 ($5,774)
	- 340 HD	$9,995	 ($7,941)

3) The Cube (Greyscale)
	- 105 HD	$7,995	 ($5,774)
	- 340 HD	$10,000+ ($8,302)

4) The Cube w/color (16.7 million (32 bit))
	- 105 HD	$15,000+ ($10,194)
	- 340 HD	$17,000+ ($12,722)

The NeXTStation (Slab) is made to be unexpanded, there are no slots.
The Cube however has three slots.  The greyscale cube can be upgraded
to color for $2995 for the board, and a 20 inch color monitor will run
and additional $1850.

The NeXT family uses the Scsi II interface, so, there are not that many
drives out there, upgrading your storage space is moderatly difficult
because there are only two companies that manufacture SCSI II drives
(Quantum just jumped in, so I didn't include them), and the prices are
high compared to regular SCSI.  (I can get those as well)

All and all, I think that the machine to compare to the A3000UX would
be the NeXTStation with color, and that runs at $5774 (educ. disc) for
the 105, but the 3000 comes with a 200 HD... so tack on another $1000
for 100 more megs of hard drive space for the NeXTStation (color), and
the machine that compares to the 3000 actually costs ~$6,500 (educ.disc)
and ~$9,000 retail (on both prices, you still need to add tax)

All and all, I think we need to re evaulate the price/performance
comparison...

Raoul Rodriguez

"People may not believe what you say, but they will always believe
what you do."

If you want, I can get the prices for the Amiga as well...

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

mwm@fenris.relay.pa.dec.com (Mike) writes:
>Hmm.  2500 machines a month, along with backorders of 15,000 as of
>announcement time.  That translates to 6 months before....the orders
>are filled

No.  As I indicated in one of my postings, Motorola will not get be up
to full speed until January on the 040s.  But when Motorola does get there,
NeXT machines will ship in considerably larger quantities than 2500 a month.
It's just my own guess, but I think that 15,000 orders will be filled by
the end of February.  And this is what NeXT has been saying all along.
NeXT promised that the 040 NeXTs would ship in November.  It did.  NeXT
says that the backorders will be filled in early 1991.  It looks like its
well on the way.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

>Are the various NeXt machines' cases still made out of magnesium.

The magnesium now has a layer of plastic to protect it.  The paint tended
to scratch off the magnesium too easily on the old NeXTs.  For all you
trivia buffs, someone in the NeXT newsgroup states that the NeXT's cube
has the single largest one-piece cast of magnesium sold in the world.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

Since I'm a stickler for factual accuracy and believe that the best arguments
are factual, here are a couple of corrections to some statements that I've
made in the past.  Yes, the Amiga has DMA channels.  Sorry for implying that
it did not.  Yes, I confused "multiprocessing" with "multitasking."  The
NeXT now multitasks, it may become a multiprocessing machine by the end of
this year.

Any Amiga proponents wish to correct themselves?

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

>Where's [the NeXT's] NTSC compatible video output?

Don't know about NTSC compatibility, but the video i/o on the NeXTDimension
is something to see.  Realtime JPEG compression, the 80 MFLOP i860 to drive
the display, the ability to hook up to a VCR, laserdisc, Camcorder, et al
without additional boards.

>Where's it's *second* floppy drive bay?  You must find one floppy drive
>or zero for those with the optical disk) pretty limiting.

The NeXT ain't a PC.  It's amazing how much more you can do with an optical
and a hard disk than a floppy and a harddisk (kind of silly to even talk about
two floppies).  The new machines now all come with a 2.88MB floppy and at
least a 105 MB hard disk (there's also 330, 660, and now, a 200 MB hard disk
option).  Much more functional than 2 floppy system.  I don't know what the
answer to this question is, but can you fit two floppies and a 105 MB hard
disk into the case for an Amiga 3000ux?  You can always get external drives.
But this is also true for the NeXT.

>Where's your MS-DOS bridgecard?

With SoftPC 2.0 for $500 and with 100% AT compatibility and emulation at
speeds comparable to a 12-16 MHz 286 machine, who needs a bridgecard?
SoftPC 2.0 is due out in February.
I've seen it in action though.

>The A3000UX, with System V Release 4, is Posix-compliant, which opens the
>door to federal procurement nicely.   How does Mach fare?

Mach, with its 4.3BSD compatibility, is Posix-compliant.  As for federal
procurement, there is talk that NASA has bought 5000 of the new NeXTs.
InfoWorld, I think it was, reports the CIA is interested in the NeXTs because
of its DSP chip.  NeXT is going heavily into the government market.

>Jobs claims that the OS isn't important to the purchaser....A standard
>OS doesn't matter [to Jobs].

Despite what Jobs may think, he's built a machine with a standard, yet
forward-looking OS.  It's basically 4.3BSD with a Mach kernel.  4.3BSD is
the standard part. The Mach kernel is the forward-looking component.

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (12/09/90)

In article <22055@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>Don't know about NTSC compatibility, but the video i/o on the NeXTDimension
>is something to see.  Realtime JPEG compression, the 80 MFLOP i860 to drive
>the display, the ability to hook up to a VCR, laserdisc, Camcorder, et al
>without additional boards.
>
>The NeXT ain't a PC.  It's amazing how much more you can do with an optical
>and a hard disk than a floppy and a harddisk (kind of silly to even talk about

	Ummm, now you're comparing a NeXT (not even the low-end one) with
thousands of add-ons to a 3000.  From the "ability to hook up a VCR.." line,
I'd assume it has some kind of NTSC output.  But can such output be had
without buying this card?  Does it come built-in with every NeXT?

>>Where's your MS-DOS bridgecard?
>With SoftPC 2.0 for $500 and with 100% AT compatibility and emulation at
>speeds comparable to a 12-16 MHz 286 machine, who needs a bridgecard?
>SoftPC 2.0 is due out in February.

	SoftPC doesn't allow you to plug in IBM graphics cards, memory, etc., nor
does it run on its own processor without slowdown of the "real" computer.

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.
    here.               DISCLAIMER:  It's all YOUR fault.

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/09/90)

To awnser your question, yes, you can stick two floppies, a 105HD, in
addition to a CPU card, bridgeboard (it you so choose), extra memory (if
18 megs wasn't enough), and a video card into a 3000... That is a really
dense machine... ;)

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (12/09/90)

In article <22055@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>Mach, with its 4.3BSD compatibility, is Posix-compliant.  As for federal
>procurement, there is talk that NASA has bought 5000 of the new NeXTs.
>InfoWorld, I think it was, reports the CIA is interested in the NeXTs because
>of its DSP chip.  NeXT is going heavily into the government market.

I can't verify the above.  Has 4.3BSD been evaluated as POSIX-compliant?
It predates the POSIX standard.  But, it should also be noted that 4.3BSD
is one of the building blocks of SVR4.  Regarding the government buys noted
above, I'm curious as to further details.  I don't recall seeing mention of
such an award in Federal Computer Week.  Also with respect to government
buys, a contract was recently awarded for about $500K worth of workstations
for the CS department here, NeXT didn't submit a bid.

Regarding NeXT corporate stability remarked upon in another post, is NeXT
publicly traded, and if so, under what symbol?  I couldn't find a listing for

In any event, I think we can agree that both the Amiga and NeXT lines include
capable machines, which, in general are directed at _different_ market
niches.  How about a truce?

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

>   SoftPC doesn't allow you to plug in IBM graphics cards, memory, etc.,
>nor does it run on its own processor without slowdown of the "real"
>computer.

A NeXT comes with 8 MB RAM, mininum, plus virtual memory.  Adding on IBM
memory chips wouldn't be useful considering that PC software is designed to run
on systems with less than a 1 MB of RAM.  And heavy-duty AT apps take two, or
at most four MB of RAM.  As for IBM graphics cards, they may be useful for
some.  But the NeXT itself is much better graphical environment than the
PC, and it already comes with the hardware to take advantage of it
(though no color for less than $5000).   The NeXT has the SCSI and serial
ports for other types of IBM add-ons.

True, SoftPC will take up CPU cycles.  But how many apps will one user be
running anyway?  And with 15-20 Mips to spend, you could run a fair number
of MS-DOS apps on a NeXT before large performance impact.

One thing you will be able to do that you couldn't do on a traditional PC
or with a MS-DOS bridgecard, and that's run several MS-DOS applications at
once in separate windows on the NeXT. This is because SoftPC will run as
just another Unix process, and you can have multiple SoftPCs (Unix processes)
running at one time.  IBM PC owners, eat your hearts out :-).

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (12/10/90)

In article <21970@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>>I wouldn't be surprised to see an A3000/40 debut in the next few months.
>
>Don't jump the gun.  The A3000/30 hasn't officialy debuted yet. Yes, the
>machine is available to education buyers/developers.  But they haven't
>finished the OS yet.

I'm not gonna get into the NeXT <-> Amiga warfare, but stating that the '030
Amiga 3000 hasn't oficially been debuted yet is blatant misinformation.
True, the OS isn't in ROM yet, but the actual A3000 debut in Canada was some
time in April (3rd I think).  Our dealer (the one I work for) has had a 3000
since some time in the middle of the summer.  So much for public unavailabity.

Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca
dewolfe@iris1.ucis.dal.ca

Coming to you from a 'currently publicly unavailable' A3000.

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Anarchy for Peace) (12/10/90)

Oops, in my last post I said the debut in Canada was in April.  It was really
May.

Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca
dewolfe@iris1.ucis.dal.ca

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) (12/10/90)

In article <22048@well.sf.ca.us>, yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

> You're getting to be one of the main reasons I'm sticking around the Amiga
> newsgroup.  Your postings will do nothing but get more irate NeXTers to
> post to the newsgroup.  If you're serious about clearing us out....
> shut up.
Above written by the ever-so-childish Young-Kyu Koo.

I am growing very tired of the worthless dravel that I have been reading
lately on this news group.  I read this group to learn more about the Amiga,
not about NeXT.  We have 2 NeXT cubes here at EWU, but they are almost
NEVER used because of lack of support, complexity of use ( you must mount
the file system if you want to access your account on the SUN network ),
continual corruption of their optical drives, and general slowness of
operation.  The most useful thing that I saw anyone do was to turn on that
lovely sound sampling system and proceed to record several seconds of
fake gagging and wretching sounds, and boy, when you played it back it
sounded as if the machine was gagging and wretching!! Not a real useful
device purchases by someone in administration who didn't know what he was
buying.

From what I have seen of the NeXT in our lab, and from what I have read
by the immature Young-Kyu Koo, I can say without a doubt that I will never
purchase an NeXT, and I will probably have a negative outlook on them
for the rest of my natural life, no matter how good they get.

This discussion of NeXT vs A3000 has turned from a thread to a rope and I
wish that it would stop.  I want to learn about the Amiga, not the NeXT, so
please, grow up Young-Kyu Soo.

Sorry about the rantings, but I have grown so fond of this news group and hate
to see it turned into a shouting match by a twerp like Young-Kyu Soo.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Young-Kyu Soo says he'll go away if
we shut up, and since he's not here in my presence to allow my to walk away
from him, I guess that I'll just shut up so that he'll go home and play with
his tinker toys.

later, and don't put your keyboard in your mouth Mr. Soo

Mathew Pierce

eddjp@edi386.UUCP ( Dewey Paciaffi ) (12/10/90)

-
-In article <23853@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
-
->it's *second* floppy drive bay? You all must find one floppy drive (or
->zero for those with the optical disk) pretty limiting.
-
-Why is that?  You never use the floppy for much other than installing new
-software releases or backing up.

 Gee, it must be nice to never have to copy a set of floppies... ;-)
--
Dewey Paciaffi           ...!uunet!edi386!eddjp

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (12/11/90)

In article <10726@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul
Rodriguez) writes:

|> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes
|> >question. First to the A3000. Will an A3000+cd-rom= CDTV? Are the Sierra
|>
|> Actually, Any amiga +cd-rom= CDTV...  As for the other questions, I am not
|> as sure.

I don't see how you could be possibly sure of what you DID post.  The CDTV
is not only not yet relased but delayed due to changes being implemented.
Commenting on whether or not A3000+CDROM = CDTV is like trying to hit a
moving target.

One of the reasons I see that argues that it will not be == CDTV is
that CDTV (according to Commodore as quoted in .info) will offer a CDTV
"upgrade" path to CD-I standard (smart move, but might that hurt the
number of developers interested in CDTV-only software?).  CDTV will also
have a modified OS, although this could be installed on a A3000 as well.

I expect Commodore will offer CDTV-compatability packages for most of their
machines, but I don't think it will be 100% (no upgrade path), and saying
A3000+CDROM==CDTV implies that hooking up a Xetex CD-ROM will let you pop
in Lemmings by Psygnosis (first ad I saw mentioning a CDTV version) and play
away.  This I really doubt.

-----
Robert Huebner			huebner@aerospace.aero.org
-----

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (12/11/90)

Would you think, that since C= has a wider audience, that there'd be more
'040 Amigas pushed? If so, more '040's in general would sell, and then
wouldn't we see Moto make C= a priority?

-jph
joseph@valnet.UUCP or ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph
IMHO: The "H" means "honest"!

In article <14701@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>Compare NeXTs to Amigas, fine.  Don't compare 030 machines to
>040 machines and expect to be surprised.  Amiga 3000UXs beat on
>68030 NeXTs.  68040 NeXTs beat on 68030 Amigas.

Also, define what you mean by "beat".  You're comparing two different kinds of
systems; the A3000, a small 4-slot machine, vs. a NeXTStation, a closed "pizza
box".  There are very definite cost advantages to building a pizza box system,
if all you're after is providing a basic system with perhaps a slightly
expandable memory system and a high "bang/buck" factor.  In buying a machine
with an expansion bus, whether an A3000, a PClone, a NeXT Cube, a Mac II, or a
whatever, you're making an investment in your changing needs.

>What one forgets is that the Amiga 3000 is all ready to accept
>the 040.

It supports a "Coprocessor Slot", which is designed to allow 68040s to play
with or instead of the main 68030 CPU.  This slot also accomodates cache or
0 wait state memory, but I imagine 68040 boards will be the most popular
add-ins.

>Thom Cleland                      "It is easier

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

In article <1990Dec5.194205.16892@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@libws3.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE AMIGA 3000 HAS A FULL SOCKET

>When the 68040 is out, it should pop right in to where the 68030 was.

The A3000 does not have a 68040 socket onboard.  What it does have is a 32
bit Coprocessor Slot, and consideration in the board logic given to what a
68040 might want to do that a 68030 can't do.  For instance, while the
68030 only supports burst cache line fetches, the A3000's onboard memory
system supports cache line dumps as well, as does the '040.  At the board
designer's option, the 68040 can run synchronous with the motherboard at
16MHz or 25MHz, or it can run asynchronous at any clock speed.  The
motherboard's 68030 can be used or turned off, depending on how the coprocessor
board and system software choose to treat things.  This is the same basic
approach we took with the A2000's Coprocessor slot, only we knew considerably
more about the 68040 than we did about the 68030 at A2000 design time, and
of course the '040 and '030 are much more bus compatible to start with than
the '030 and 68000.  A coprocessor board does, however, have to be designed
by someone who knows what they're doing.  There is a bit of interface logic
needed for any coprocessor board, there are quite a few hardware options to
choose from, the issue of on-board memory or cache, etc.

>When this happens, the Amiga 3000 will run at 15-20 MIPS, will not require
>the slow 68882, etc. Don't compare a 68030 with a 68040!

Again, a 68040 system MAY run 15-20 MIPS, it may not.  What Motorola says
is what their marketing department considers possible, based on input from
the technical people.  And in my experience, they've been correct about what's
possible in the past.  If the 68040 systems that actually get built have as
many wait states as the 68030 systems that got built, you won't see this
performance in real life.

>The Amiga 3000 should have a socketed 68030, with extra pins for "future
>expansion". I take this to mean that they planned it to work with the 68040
>and the 68030.

No, the 68030 isn't socketed, it's surface mounted and stays in place.  You
don't go plugging a 68040 into a 68030 socket.  If you have to kludge it,
you might build a 68040 board that could live in a 68030 socket, but that's
going at it backwards -- the capability to live a nicely in the system as
possible should be provided from the beginning.  An expansion card connector
like the A3000's 200 pin slot is designed to handle a plug-in card, the 68030's
socket is not.

>The designers are sure to know.

We better!

dlt@locus.com (Dan Taylor) (12/11/90)

>The questions just keep on coming, so here are some more questions and answers:

>>Where's the NeXT SVR4?

>SVR4 doesn't exist as finished product.  SVR4 is what is keeping the Amiga
>3000ux from going into official release.  BSD Unix is just fine, thank you.
>And Mach is arguably the most advanced kernel around today (even taking SVR4
>into account).

Having spent years debugging the student project code in bsd, I take
serious exception to your comment "BSD Unix is just fine, thank you.".
While bsd has some nice features, like sockets, and the history and job
control of csh, it is also full of ideas that don't make it in the "real
world".  Small-block and variable-block-size filesystems end up wasting
CPU time and disk space, for instance.  The lack of error checking, and
handling, makes bsd too buggy and vulnerable for commercial use.  No
commercial company is seriously advocating real bsd, rather, they include
many of the features in their kernels.  SysVr4 has sockets, and ksh has
history and job control. (personally, I prefer a windowing environment)
The companies that have been shipping real bsd, like DEC (not Sun), have
now migrated to OSF.  I'm glad you said "arguably", when refering to
Mach.  I have tried a "cube", and I believe that the SysVr4
kernel/environment will be more productive, for more people, than the
Mach kernel/bsd environment.  With curses, for serial terminals, and X,
for graphical devices, SysVr4 has superior user interface capabilities,
compared to bsd.  And the ability to mount "foriegn" filesystems means
that SysVr4 can take advantage of any real advances in filesystem
technology.  "Threads" can be simulated, although it's incredibly ugly
to do so, but modules on Streams can perform nearly the same functions.

>>Where's the NeXT Video Toaster?

>The NeXT has the NeXTDimension.

NeXTDimension is more like DeluxePaint, than Video Toaster.  A Toaster-
equipped Amiga is really the equivalent of a $100,000 video production
system.  You really should see the Toaster, if you are interested in
video, or before making spurious comparisons.

>>Where's the large NeXT installed user base?

>I write software for the NeXT because I believe it will achieve a large user
>base.  It is still a machine in its infancy in terms of the marketplace.
>Also the success of the NeXT is not measured in the numbers used for PCs.
>The Amiga has a user base of 2,000,000 (according to one poster).  If NeXT
>were to achieve this figure, it would control 100% of the low-end workstation
>market.

If Jobs can maintain the agressive pricing, and still satisfy the profit
requirements of the people who put up the money, NeXT will have a serious
share of the market.  However, since the low-end workstation market is
already crowded with SysV 386's and 486's, a few A/UX Macs, lots of SPARC
SLCs (with cheap, usable clones coming), and even some SysV Amigas, NeXT
will be lucky to get 10% of the low-end market (betcha a nickel).  I don't
believe, as much as I like my Amiga, that it will be one the the high-share
systems, either.  Probably the (yuck) SPARCs will share it with the (yuck)
486s at about 40% each.

>>What NeXT hardware is there with multiprocessing capabilities.

>I assume you mean "parallel processing."  The NeXT, thanks to Unix, is a
>multiprocessing computer.  As for "parallel processing," NeXT has yet to
>take advantage of the parallel processing capabilities inherent in Mach.
>But there is some talk about a parallel processing NeXT by the end of this
>year.  We're talking multiple 040s on one board running in concert.

Some Amiga owners don't realize that the NeXT isn't a fancy Mac, and that
Mach isn't a variant of Finder.  I'm looking forward to well-integrated
specialized processors, like vector, graphics, DSP, array, and neural,
than multi-processing.  Even Mach is still somewhat I/O-bound, so more
processors just would wait for I/O faster.  And two, three, or four '040s
probably aren't going to have enough work to do, except in cases where a
specialized processor could do the job better.  Check your system stats
for the real utilization of the CPU.

>>Where is the inexpensive software?

>Much of the most useful software for the NeXT comes free with the machin:
>a commercial quality wordprocessor, a revolutionary spreadsheet, the
>Digital Librarian, Interface Builder, Mathematica (for educational buyers),
>etc.  NeXT software is comparable to Mac software in pricing.  There are
>exceptions of course.  There are outrageously priced high-end software
>packages for workstations and there are great low-price deals to educational
>buyers.  Lighthouse Design is selling their Diagram! program for $10 to
>students.  It retails for $249 (yes, you save $239! if you're a student).
>Informix is selling Wingz with better than a 50% discount to students
>.  I think the figure is something like $150 for a product that retails at
>$700.  There are over a half dozen ftp sites for NeXT freeware/shareware.
>Check out cs.orst.edu and nova.cc.purdue.edu in particular (I'm not sure
>about the purdue net address).

The "most useful" software you describe has a limited, but loyal following.
Those of us no longer in the university, either as students or faculty,
don't see much of special interest. (nor do we get the good prices)  The
word processor is OK, but no big deal.  Wingz is nice, too.  Actually,
though, Interface Builder is no better than several of the Amiga and
Mac window generators, and you're limited, at least when I looked, to
Objective C, which doesn't make code as good as an experienced, competent
programmer would.

>>Any third-party software to plug into the expansion slots of those few
>>NeXTs which actually have them?

>There's the Ariel QuintProcessor which gives you five additional DSP chips
>on one board.  There is Cube Digital I/O which gives you 64 channels of
>digital I/O, a Centronics-compatible parallel port, and other goodies.
>There's the Dazzl Model16/12 Analog to Digital Converter. There are also
>many products that take adge of the built-in NeXT DSP port, the two
>serial ports, the new SCSI-2 port, the built-in thin and twisted-pair
>Ethernet, the mic jack AND built-in mic, et al.

I think you answered the question he MEANT to ask.  Although, I can't
think of any "wonderful" hardware for the E-net connectors.

>>The NeXT Fred Fish collection?

>Don't know what this is.

PD and shareware.  You answered this above.

>>All-NeXT trade shows?

>None of these yet.  But we do get to see Steve Jobs special brand of dog and
>pony shows :-).

I once asked a NeXT rep why I should buy a cube, instead of an A3000.  His
reply?  "We have Steve."  And that's the only answer he could come up with.

>>Mac or PC emulation

>SoftPC 2.0 claims to be 100% AT-compatible and claims to run MS-DOS software
>at 12-16 MHz 286 speeds.  Not bad for an emulator, eh?  As for Mac emulation,
>I don't think anyone's working on it.

Heck, I ran a 2.5MHz-equiavalent XT on a box-stock 7MHz 68000 in my A1000.

>>How about an inexpensive version that everyone can afford?

>The NeXT is not a low-end PC.  Do you want to play games, or do you want a
>workstation?  At any rate, for $3000-$3500, a student can buy a NeXT for the
>price of a Mac SE/30 and less than the price of the Amiga 3000ux.

>Of course, I'd also love to see a PC-priced NeXT.  But there's a price you
>pay for power and features.  It's not the machine for everyone.  But it is
>the machine I'm buying.

I think you really missed the point, here.  I can run (well, walk) programs
on an A500, when you don't have a lot of money to spend, then move up
to a more powerful model, without loss of functionality.  So, my modeling
program may take DAYS, instead of hours, but I can still run the model.
NeXT lacks a $1000-1500 entry-level system.

--

* Dan Taylor    * The opinions expressed are my own, and in no way *
* dlt@locus.com * reflect those of Locus Computing Corporation.    *

scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (12/11/90)

In the interests of saving those kill files, scott uses a standardized
Subject: line.  As another (hopefull) saving feature, he replies to
a lot of stuff all at the same time.

I've been hearing about c.s.a problems on c.s.n.  It is getting
annoying.  Now, before you come down on me for being in the same
boat as Mr. Young:

In article <21968@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
   >	You say that the 3000ux will "crank out 5 mips", then say the 040 NeXT
   >will "crank out 15-20".  Figures courtesy of Motorola, you say.  I have no
   >reason to doubt you, so I won't say anything about that, except for being
   >interested in how such an answer was arrived at.

   Don't ask me.  I let the big boys do the benchmarks.  At any rate, those are
   Motorola figures.  And several Unix experts have done their own benchmarks
   (check out the NeXT newsgroup for details) and they confirm that the 040 is
   three to four times faster than the 030.

You trust Moto?  Show me Specmarks.  Not trivial barf done by the
CPU vendor themselves.

   >	I do, however, take exception to the assertions concerning the
   >MFLOPS of both machines.  "nearly 3" and "will be lucky to approach 1" isn't
   >precise enough for this arguement.  They suggest that you don't know for sure,
   >you're just pulling out some numbers which sound nice.  Don't post something
   >you can't quote with better references, especially if you're knocking a
   >computer in its' home newsgroup.  You're going to get flamed.  Now, if you'd
   >post real numbers along with their sources, that wouldn't be quite so bad....

   I didn't want to bore you with the details.

Then please stop.

   Motorola claims 2.8 MFLOPs for
   their FPU (which is built into the main processor).  Home-grown benchmarks
   done by several in the NeXT newsgroup get numbers from 2.5 to 3.3 MFLOPS.

Again, those are homegrown, and probably have nothing to do with
anything.  The posts themselves stated as much.

   My question:  Why attack my numbers without numbers of your own?

He was justified.  If I were to say "10,000 cattle stampeded through
my bedroom this morning", you need not come up with numbers to label
me wrong.

   Run OpenLook on a 030 Amiga, and then tell me that it is faster than
   NeXTStep on an 030 NeXT.  At any rate, anything concerning the 040 Amigas
   is pure conjecture.  The 040 NeXTs are real.  The 040 Amigas are
   pre-vaporware.

NextStations are only psuedo-real.  They are becoming more solid every
day, but still . . . OpenLook on an Amiga will more than likely outperform
NextStep where it counts.  Raw X will do really quite well.  Remember
that Amigas are graphics gods . . .

     The 105 MB hard drive for the NeXT does indeed come with nearly 40 MB of
   bundled software (not including the operating system).  The 340 MB hard disk
   does indeed come with nearly 200 MB of bundled software.  True, Mathematic
   is not free to every NeXT buyer, but it IS free to all educational buyers,
   and I assume you and most of Usenet would be among these (of course, there
   are some who are not).

This is like saying that your new car comes with four bundled tires.
Calling the operating system itself bundled software is sort of unfair.
If it _weren't_ bundled, the basic machine would be _entirely_
unusable.

     As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
   go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?  That Amiga Mach with
   parallel processing capabilities?  That 2.88 MB floppy drive compatible with
   both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats?

Yes, note the large amount of programs out there using the DSP.

The NeXT does not use DMA to good advantage.  In many instances, it
was faster to do DSP stuff on the '030, because there isn't DMA to
the DSP - there's a channel for it, it's not used.  This is fixed
in the future.

The NeXT does not have parallel processing capabilities.  The NeXT
Unix kernel is built on Mach, which in the future will have
parallel processing capabilities, but does not at this time.
The NeXT version of Mach is not equal to the CMU version (they
lag aways, and also have added some stuff of their own).
The NeXT hardware certainly does not support parallel processing
capabilities, even if a new Mach _were_ to come out.

The 2.88 drives will be consumer market items soon.  This is a
non-issue.  Besides, you show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) writes:
   Not necessarily.  Users who have the new NeXT 2.0 operating system
   installed on 030 NeXT's claim almost twice the perceived performance
						  ^^^^^^^^^
   [I haven't seen any benchmarks to confirm this].  This just goes to
   show that the operating system plays a non-trivial role in the
   performance of a machine.  Out of curiousity have there been any

This is just certain parts of the OS.  Apps created under 2.0 will
load faster, and some apps have been rewritten to offload processing.
But, if you take your general 1.0 app, and copy it onto your disk,
it will not run any faster.  Perceived performance!=real performance.
An Amiga running AmigaDos will _heavily_ outperform a NeXT on the
same processor platform.  It's because they aren't designed for
the same things, for the most part (this is mostly concerned with
the display code, though Unix will also throw in quite a bit of overhead).

OK, now for some disclaimers.  As some of you know, I'm a NeXT
developer, who's developed quite a number of programs.  I've been
on the machine for a year and a half, nearly fulltime the entire
time.  I know a fair amount about the machine, and I can honestly
state that the NeXT has warts.  Whoa!  Amazing!  But, I've never
seen a computer without warts.

The Amiga is a very nice machine.  I spent most of the time between
the announcement of the a1000 and the point at which I got sucked
into Unix drooling over Amigas.  I never could afford them, though
(not because they were expensive, I just had no money).  Now, I've
got the money, and am leapfrogging to NeXTs.

Which brings up a good point - I can imagine selling Amigas as
a consumer item ( :-] ).  I cannot imagine selling NeXTs as a
consumer item.  Having worked with my NeXT at home for quite
some time, I can safely state that non-Unix weenies need not
apply.  Sure, you _can_ work it without knowing Unix, but it
is not a Mac nor an Amiga.  Don't get me wrong - you don't need
to know how to run crypt(3) in your head, but you do need some
small amount of experience, or a friend to spend a couple hours
helping you out.

NeXT are not Amigas, not do NeXTs compete with Amigas.  NeXTs
compete with Suns and DECs (and that whatsamacallit, that IBM
thingymajig).  Fairly well, too, at the low end.  But, when
you start talking SparcStation 2s and DECStation 3100s, you've
lost the NeXT.  Amigas, meanwhile, compete with the PC and the
Mac, and very admirably at that.

What is really needed is for Amigans and NeXTans (yuck, sounds
slimey, I'll go with it, though) to "Band together, and drive
the Evil, and the Ugly, Awwaaayy!".  Oops.  I mean, I think
that the Amiga is a natural for home use, but wouldn't want to
be using it on a network, where Unix is King.  Then again, I
can use a NeXT at home, but neither of my roomates could justify
that expense.  (Being a developer, I can).

Lastly, I invite Mr. Young over to comp.sys.next.  Your time could
be better spent defending the NeXT against Sun than assulting
people who made a Right Choice which doesn't match yours.

And, off I goooooo . . .
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (12/11/90)

In article <SCOTT.90Dec10195939@next-5.gac.edu> scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

{lots of good stuff about NeXT and Amiga computers deleted}

>NeXT are not Amigas, not do NeXTs compete with Amigas.  NeXTs
>compete with Suns and DECs (and that whatsamacallit, that IBM
>thingymajig).  Fairly well, too, at the low end.  But, when
>you start talking SparcStation 2s and DECStation 3100s, you've
>lost the NeXT.  Amigas, meanwhile, compete with the PC and the
>Mac, and very admirably at that.

{ More good stuff deleted (about the Amiga being "graphic Gods")}

>can use a NeXT at home, but neither of my roomates could justify
>that expense.  (Being a developer, I can).
>--
>scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
>Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad
><I still speak for nobody>

Thank you for writing what was probably the most unbiased argument
for both the Amiga and NeXT camps...  I am sure everyone who has
posted something to this comparision of the two systems has written
some half truths and innaccuracies...

Again thank you for clearing the air about the Amiga and  NeXT
computers... Finnaly a clear rational mind in the heated passion
of a really emotional argument...

Raoul Rodriguez
"People may not believe what you say, but they will allways
believe what you do" - Unknown

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/11/90)

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Matthew Pierce) writes:
>The above written by the ever-so-childish Young-Kyu Koo.

First, those quoted comments are about the angriest I have used in e-mail or
posting.  It was in response to a posting that used employed some
name-calling.  It was intended to be e-mail, since I do not believe in
flaming anyone in public.  As for e-mail, I do not believe in using
profanity or resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I've been screamed at and been called every name under the sun in e-mail
arising from this thread.  There has also been more than a little name-
calling in public.  Many of you may feel it is justified.  But I
believe it to be unconstructive at best.

The NeXT vs. Amiga thread is not a big deal.  As fanatical as I am about
correcting misinformation about the NeXT, I don't think it's an issue
that calls for screaming and hair-pulling.  Certainly, it doesn't call
for hatred.

This is, I hope, my last posting to articles in this vein.  I'll continue
to answer questions about the NeXT asked by Amiga users.  I will continue
to correct gross misinformation about the NeXT.  But I will let personal
flames flicker and die of their own accord.

In <SCOTT.90Dec10195939@next-5.gac.edu>, scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

> [ an excellent, rational article on the merits and positioning of
>   both the Amiga and the NeXT ]

Though I found a few things in it that I would take slight exception to, all in
all he was on the mark in what he said.

>Lastly, I invite Mr. Young over to comp.sys.next.  Your time could
>be better spent defending the NeXT against Sun than assulting
>people who made a Right Choice which doesn't match yours.
>
>And, off I goooooo . . .

Thanks, Scott. It was refreshing.

-larry

--
The only things to survive a nuclear war will be cockroaches and IBM PCs.

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (12/11/90)

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) writes about A3000+CDROM:

> One of the reasons I see that argues that it will not be == CDTV is
> that CDTV (according to Commodore as quoted in .info) will offer a CDTV
> "upgrade" path to CD-I standard (smart move, but might that hurt the
> number of developers interested in CDTV-only software?).

That would be great, tho probably expensive because of the totally
different video hardware between CDTV/CD-I.  Do you recall which issue
that was in?  Was it a true quote from CBM, or just a rumor column?

> I expect Commodore will offer CDTV-compatability packages for most of their
> machines, but I don't think it will be 100% (no upgrade path),

I would guess that programs which didn't rely on CDTV hardware (the
personality RAM module or front display comes to mind) should work okay (?).

thx - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.094637.26528@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>,
kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
|> huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) writes about A3000+CDROM:
|>
|> > One of the reasons I see that argues that it will not be == CDTV is
|> > that CDTV (according to Commodore as quoted in .info) will offer a CDTV
|> > "upgrade" path to CD-I standard (smart move, but might that hurt the
|> > number of developers interested in CDTV-only software?).
|>
|> That would be great, tho probably expensive because of the totally
|> different video hardware between CDTV/CD-I.  Do you recall which issue
|> that was in?  Was it a true quote from CBM, or just a rumor column?

It was in a rumor column, but stated as such (direct quote)

"Commodore has announced that CDTV will be "upgradeable" to CD-I when
that chip set is available."
		-Amazing Dec '90

Which seemed pretty direct, but could be wrong.  Another quote from the
article:

"Another thing that's delaying CDTV is an attempt to be competetive with
CD-I, which now offers full-motion video and CD-quality sound."

Which is untrue.  An acquaintance working on CD-I said that, although
full-screen full-motion video was their intention, serious problems have
surfaced with this.  As for CD-Quality sound, I can't see the serious advantage
to putting 16-bit audio in the machine when you can software-control its
audio playback from the CD itself (which is, of course, CD quality).

----
Robert Huebner
			huebner@aerospace.aero.org
							"It's gonna rain in LA"
----

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (12/12/90)

In article <22055@well.sf.ca.us>, yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) says:

>>Where's [the NeXT's] NTSC compatible video output?
>
>Don't know about NTSC compatibility, but the video i/o on the NeXTDimension
>is something to see.  Realtime JPEG compression, the 80 MFLOP i860 to drive
>the display, the ability to hook up to a VCR, laserdisc, Camcorder, et al
>without additional boards.

Seeing as the NeXTDimension's price is larger than the GNP's of many
third world countries :-) , this doesn't help me much. I can acquire an
A2000, Video Toaster, Genlock, and some spare memory and HD for ^$3500...
it even comes with AmigaVision, fer cryin' out loud. The NeXTDimensions
will have some stiff competition indeed.

In article <1747@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeff Schweiger) writes:
>In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
>go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?

Some clarifications are in order.

As for DSP, we didn't find DSP far enough evolved to build it in at this point.
You can get REAL DSP, as in floating point, on an expansion card built by one
of the third parties. Like the CPU, once you pick a DSP, you're locked into
that instruction set.  When DSP has advanced enough to be useful to the average
system user, it might go on the motherboard, assuming there's nothing better to
spend that money on.  NeXT, for instance, would have done much better
installing a display processor to make Display PostScript run faster, at least
on the original cube.  That would be appreciated by everyone using the box,
not just audio people.

As for DMA channels, we've had considerable DMA channel use since the A1000
came out -- there are essentially separate asynchronous DMA channels for hard
disk, each expansion slot, and the Coprocessor slot in the A3000, and
synchronous Chip bus DMA channel slots for floppy disk, audio, display, sprites,
memory refesh, copper, and blitter.  There's nothing new in the NeXT in terms
of DMA.

>That Amiga Mach with parallel processing capabilities?

Is the NeXT Kernel the multiprocessing verison of Mach?  If so, where are the
multiple processors?  A board full of '030s, if it could have been used by
the NeXT OS, would have solved NeXT's speed problems much earlier than the
'040.
		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

In article <22047@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:
>The questions just keep on coming, so here are some more questions and answers:

>>What NeXT hardware is there with multiprocessing capabilities.

>I assume you mean "parallel processing."

No, you're confused.  They mean multiprocessing, which is virtually the same
thing as parallel processing.  Simply saying "multiprocessing" usually has
the connotation of homogenous multiprocessing -- "I have five '030s here, and
I schedule the next task on the first one that frees up".  This isn't in
common use on small systems yet, though heterogenous multiprocessing is getting
quite common -- "I'll have the blitter draw this line, then the DMAC get this
file for me, then fetch a block of data from my ethernet processor, then
get the serial packets the IOP on my multiserial board boxed up nicely for
me", etc.

>The NeXT, thanks to Unix, is a multiprocessing computer.

That's multitasking.  Task swaping.  The NeXT has a single processor (it really
has the DSP as well, but that doesn't enter into any system work), and it
schedules multiple tasks on that processor.  There is a version of the Mach
kernel at CMU that supports task scheduling on multiple processors, thus,
multiprocessing.  I don't believe that capability is in the NeXT kernel at
the moment.  It is also not in the UNIX kernel at the moment, either.  AT&T
does expect to support multiprocessing beyond SV.4, and its not unreasonable
to expect NeXT to support it either in a future release, though that'll only
be useful on the "cube" machines.

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (12/12/90)

In article <16455@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
   >In article <21993@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

   >  As for matching NeXT's price/features, the Amiga has a very long way to
   >go.  Where's that Amiga DSP?  Those Amiga DMA channels?

   Some clarifications are in order.

   As for DSP, we didn't find DSP far enough evolved to build it in at
   this point.  You can get REAL DSP, as in floating point, on an
   expansion card built by one of the third parties. Like the CPU,
   once you pick a DSP, you're locked into that instruction set.
   When DSP has advanced enough to be useful to the average system
   user, it might go on the motherboard, assuming there's nothing better to
   spend that money on.  NeXT, for instance, would have done much better
   installing a display processor to make Display PostScript run faster,
   at least on the original cube.  That would be appreciated by everyone
   using the box, not just audio people.

The correct question is "Where are those DSP apps on the NeXT?"  Anyone
can buy a DSP for the Amiga.  Considering that programs to use it
are probably going to cost bucks, you might as well buy a DSP in the
bargain.  The locked instruction set is noticable when you notice that
the new NeXTs have 56001s, yet, rather than 96001s.  56001s suck,
because that's not floating point, that's fixed point.  Sure, it's
great for sound but it's not so good for running ray-traced Mandelbrot
sets on.  Besides, it only has 24k of memory (though I hear the new
ones can get more).  Don't put a DSP on your motherboard until you
can support 256k, C=.

Agreed wrt "better to install a display processor".  That was one of
the biggest faults of the Mac (everything done on the main CPU),
and is one of the biggest faults of the NeXT.  The '040 helps,
but now it's even worse - that windowserver will be swapping your
code out of cache.  I think that NeXT should talk C= into some sort
of cross-licensing.  C= gets the appkit and DPS, NeXT gets Angus
and Bertrand and Carmen, and whatever else those chips are named :-)
You know, the blitter and all.

   >That Amiga Mach with parallel processing capabilities?

   Is the NeXT Kernel the multiprocessing verison of Mach?  If so, where are the
   multiple processors?  A board full of '030s, if it could have been used by
   the NeXT OS, would have solved NeXT's speed problems much earlier than the
   '040.

Correct question here is "Where is the multi-processor NeXT?"

Enough said?
--

dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) (12/13/90)

Dave Haynie writes:
> AT&T does expect to support multiprocessing beyond SV.4, and its not
> unreasonable to expect NeXT to support it either in a future release, though
> that'll only be useful on the "cube" machines.

May we hope that the Unix Amigas could also support multiprocessing?  Or is
this impossible without a major change in your architecture?

--
      //   UUCP:      ...!{tektronix|ogicse}!sequent!dvp         _______
=====// =========================================================|   # |

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/13/90)

scott@gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>I invite Mr. Young over to comp.sys.next.  Your time could be better
>spent defending the NeXT against Sun than assaulting people who made
>a Right Choice which doesn't match yours.

I never had the intention to argue that Amiga owners have made anything
but a great choice in buying their Amigas.  I really think the Amiga
is a better PC than anything out there (I have a Mac SE, but I bought it
without knowing anything about the Amigas at the time).

I want to apology to those Amiga fans that I've offended with the
condescending tone in many of my earlier postings.  At the time, I thought I
was fighting fire with fire, condescension with condescension, but I overdid
it more than a bit and helped make the situation much worse.  Sorry.

I think the NeXT is no threat to the Amiga.  As the Amiga is not a direct
threat to the NeXT.  The Amiga 3000UX and the NeXTStations will be
competing with each other, but there is plenty of room for competition and
success in the fast growing low-end workstation market.
It's kind of gotten loss in the shuffle, but my main intention here has been
defend the NeXT against those who trash it unfairly.  I'm not here to sell
anyone a NeXT computer, nor to belittle the Amiga (which is a great machine).
I wanted to point out to certain posters that their criticism of the NeXT
might be misguided.  I used the wrong tactics sometimes, used too many
sharp-tongued comments about the Amiga.  But, by and large, I tried to
keep my postings informational and fact-filled.

It seems that no two people will every agree on everything.  Though both
Scott Hess and I are NeXT software developers, we disagree on some major
points.  But, then, NeXTers, or "NeXTans", or whatever we are, are not
much different than Amigans, Mac-ers, PC-ers, whatever.  We each have our
petty quarrels and battles over dogma.  Recently, there has been a
full-blown religious war over whether click-to-focus (on a window) is
worse than point-to-focus in comp.sys.next.  Of course, nothing was
resolved.  And it looks like little will be resolved here.  Amiga fans
remain Amiga fans, NeXT fans remain NeXT fans, and there is still
misinformation being posted about the NeXT and the Amiga from both sides.

I want to publically thank those Amiga-philes who've been friendly to
me in their e-mail.  A few of those who first came at me with four-letter
epithets I now enjoy chatting with thru e-mail.  It's amazing how
reasonable and understated we computer fanatics can be when we're
not battling each other on Usenet.

Long live the NeXT.  Long live the Amiga.
As for IBM....that's another flame war...

akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) (12/18/90)

Hey! I am still using my Timex and VIC-20, don't laugh! The VIC-20 has
BIG letters that I can read 20 feet away. Although only one sentence fits
on the screen too.

The Timex... did you ever try fast mode? hahahaha... <BW>

In article <DVP.90Dec12131150@crg8.sequent.com> dvp@sequent.com (Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:

>May we hope that the Unix Amigas could also support multiprocessing?  Or is
>this impossible without a major change in your architecture?

The only thing in the way of homogenous multiprocessing on Amigas is software.

		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

In article <276d2fad-157d.21comp.amiga-1@point.UUCP> akcs.bill@point.UUCP (Bill Wolff) writes:
>Hey! I am still using my Timex and VIC-20, don't laugh!

We're still using Timexs here in C= engineering.  Not much of a computer, but
beyond a doubt the best damn door stop you'll ever get for $10.
		"I can't drive 55"	-Sammy Hagar

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (12/20/90)

In article <21929@well.sf.ca.us> yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) writes:

>At any rate, the new 040 NeXTs have started shipping and the machine is
>damn fast.  It is in an entirely different class, performance-wise, than
>the Amiga 3000ux.

No kidding, Sherlock.  Just like the Amiga 3000 with an '040 will be in an
entirely different performance class than the Amiga 3000ux w/'030.  Duh.

Are we a little insecure, NeXT people?  I've been looking at comp.sys.next,
and I haven't seen any Amiga owners trying furiously to downplay the NeXT.
Amiga owners aren't out to "getcha" you know.  So why don't you all take
a valium and sit back for a minute and think before you post your little plugs.

	-Jason Nyberg

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (12/20/90)

In article <10725@helios.TAMU.EDU> n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:
>Tell you what, nothing impresses a prof more than a slick looking video that
>you slapped together in about and hour.  Case in point, in m ROTC class, I had

At last years University of Illinois Engineering Open House there were many
Amigas used to create loops of animation and text illustrating the principals
in the exhibits.  A couple of the exhibits were actual projects done on an
Amiga.  There was also a C64 but I didn't see what it was doing ;^)

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
I loved the peace and solitude | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

palm@rhrk.uni-kl.de (Thomas Palm / Chemie) (01/09/91)

Need urgently a VT100-Emulation with a really fast Kermit (more than
ca. 100 Bytes/s like the XPR-Kermit with Vlt from Fish 410). Who can help an
totally dissapointed Amiga-User ?

Please E-mail to palm@rhrk.uni-kl.de

Thanks in advance