[comp.sys.amiga] looking for a PD / shareware easy-to-use word processor

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (01/06/91)

Please respond via e-mail since I don't read these groups.

Does anybody know of any PD / shareware word processors that are nice,
menu driven, easy-to-use that are available via anonymous ftp, BBSs,
CompuServe, or anywhere else?  I have an old Amiga 500 that my mother
wants to use for word processing.  She's not very technical.  (That
qualifies for the understatement of the month award.)  Up to now she's
been using Pocket Writer / Paperback Writer on the Commodore 64.  She's
also quite comfortable now with Deluxe Paint II, and would like to
"step up" to a nice, menu-driven word processor on the Amiga.  It
doesn't have to be fancy.  Just basic text with underlining, italics,
boldface, super- and subscripts, and definitely WYSIWYG.  Essentially I
want what the Workbench 1.3 Notepad program has, but no silly 163 line
limit and a bit faster than it's dismal speed when near full with
text.  And support for basic 9-pin Epson compatible printers is a must
as well.

I've already done a quick look through wuarchive.wustl.edu, which is
the single biggest FTP archive I know of, but there's so much stuff
it's overwhelming.  And compuserve doesn't have very good search
facilities either.

Thanks in advance for any pointers via e-mail.

--
"Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"
"Honest." -- Robert M. Pirsig, _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence_.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca	CompuServe: 72401,3525

dailey@frith.uucp (Chris Dailey) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan5.231725.14056@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>Please respond via e-mail since I don't read these groups.
>
>Does anybody know of any PD / shareware word processors that are nice,
>menu driven, easy-to-use that are available via anonymous ftp, BBSs,
>CompuServe, or anywhere else?  [...]

I did some looking around once and could not find anything of this sort.
I hope to start work on just such a beast late this fall.  I hope to be
able to utilize vFont, Michael Jannson (sic?)'s resizable font library
with it (as an option -- I hope it will be able to use the Amiga's native
fonts, as well).  If you find out any more, let me know.

>--
>"Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"
>"Honest." -- Robert M. Pirsig, _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence_.
>
>Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca	CompuServe: 72401,3525

--
Chris Dailey   dailey@(frith.egr|cpsin.cps).msu.edu
BRD += DDR;           __  __  ___

dailey@eecae.uucp (Chris Dailey) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan7.141709.368@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dailey@frith.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:
>I hope to be
>able to utilize vFont, Michael Jannson (sic?)'s resizable font library
>with it [...]

Note:  vFont is in Beta test, if you were wondering why you never heard
of it.  Quite nicely done, I'd say.  I don't know when he'll have the
distribution version publicly available -- I believe it will be
shareware.  My apologies to Michael if I have said anything I shouldn't
have.

--

micja@IDA.LiU.SE (Michael Jansson) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan7.144521.3025@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dailey@eecae.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.141709.368@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> dailey@frith.uucp (Chris Dailey) writes:
>>I hope to be
>>able to utilize vFont, Michael Jannson (sic?)'s resizable font library
>>with it [...]
>
>Note:  vFont is in Beta test, if you were wondering why you never heard
>of it.  Quite nicely done, I'd say.  I don't know when he'll have the
>distribution version publicly available -- I believe it will be
>shareware.  My apologies to Michael if I have said anything I shouldn't
>have.

No apologies needed. I don't mine a few messages buzzing around the
netland with my name in it ;-).

PS: You got al the facts right. It will be available soon (I keep
hearing myself saying that ;-).

#   Michael Jansson             |   \_/
#   Internet: mij@IDA.LIU.SE    |    V                   _|_
#   UUCP: uunet!liuida!mij      |    |    Absolut Software|
#   BITNET: mij@SELIUIDA        |   ~~~